Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 22, 2013
8:44:26 PM
View profile
How many different channels can I watch at the same time?
I'm getting uverse installed on Monday. I have 8 TVs and will get 8 uverse boxes. Can I watch a different tv channel on all my TVs at the same time. If I'm recording a show on one tv can I then watch 7 other channels. Am I just limited to 4 different channels at the same time despite having 8 differtent boxes.
I'm getting uverse installed on Monday. I have 8 TVs and will get 8 uverse boxes. Can I watch a different tv channel on all my TVs at the same time. If I'm recording a show on one tv can I then watch 7 other channels. Am I just limited to 4 different channels at the same time despite having 8 differtent boxes.

How many different channels can I watch at the same time?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 8:53:01 PM
(0)
Employee
You receive four live feeds, recording a show uses one feed. You may watch up to three recorded programs from the DVR, therefore max of 7 tvs can be doing something unique the eighth tv would need to be playing an online video game or watching a channel being watched on another tv.

So short answer YES limited to 4 live different channels at same time, is a deal breaker?
You receive four live feeds, recording a show uses one feed. You may watch up to three recorded programs from the DVR, therefore max of 7 tvs can be doing something unique the eighth tv would need to be playing an online video game or watching a channel being watched on another tv.

So short answer YES limited to 4 live different channels at same time, is a deal breaker?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How many different channels can I watch at the same time?

2 of 10 (1,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:20:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
4 LIVE streams max, regardless of the number of boxes and/or TVs.
4 LIVE streams max, regardless of the number of boxes and/or TVs.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (1,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:12:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:

Actually you can watch 3 recorded programs on TV's not connected to the DVR and 1 recorded program on the TV connected to DVR at the same time.  When this occurs 4 live streams are still available.  Thus, in this scenario, all 8 TV's could be accessing U-verse at the same time: 4 watching recorded content from the DVR and 4 watching live streams.

my thoughts wrote:

Actually you can watch 3 recorded programs on TV's not connected to the DVR and 1 recorded program on the TV connected to DVR at the same time.  When this occurs 4 live streams are still available.  Thus, in this scenario, all 8 TV's could be accessing U-verse at the same time: 4 watching recorded content from the DVR and 4 watching live streams.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (1,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 4:18:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not on a Egress Profile of 0 SD/3 HD, only 3 different Recordings (SD or HD) can be watched at any time, has nothing to do w/the DVR also watching a different recording.  So, I'd agreee w/my thoughts in only 7 different separate TV choices.

It's not the Ingress Profile of 0 SD/4 HD, a 4th HD stream being able to be watched on any other STB than the DVR when recording 3 HD streams. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not on a Egress Profile of 0 SD/3 HD, only 3 different Recordings (SD or HD) can be watched at any time, has nothing to do w/the DVR also watching a different recording.  So, I'd agreee w/my thoughts in only 7 different separate TV choices.

It's not the Ingress Profile of 0 SD/4 HD, a 4th HD stream being able to be watched on any other STB than the DVR when recording 3 HD streams. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

5 of 10 (1,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 12:29:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

Actually, your statement is not correct.  Egress represents streams out of the DVR.  Watching a recording on the TV connected to the DVR does not use an Egress stream.  Thus, you can watch 4 recordings at the same time:  1 on the TV connected to the DVR, and 3 on TV's connected to STB's.  This leaves the 4 live streams available for use.  My previous comments are correct.  

Also, I'm not speaking from theory but from actual experience.  I have 4 TV's in my home, and I have had 4 different recording playing on each TV on numerous occassions.  In fact, as I'm typing this, 4 different recordings are being watched on each TV while 4 programs are being recorded on the DVR.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Actually, your statement is not correct.  Egress represents streams out of the DVR.  Watching a recording on the TV connected to the DVR does not use an Egress stream.  Thus, you can watch 4 recordings at the same time:  1 on the TV connected to the DVR, and 3 on TV's connected to STB's.  This leaves the 4 live streams available for use.  My previous comments are correct.  

Also, I'm not speaking from theory but from actual experience.  I have 4 TV's in my home, and I have had 4 different recording playing on each TV on numerous occassions.  In fact, as I'm typing this, 4 different recordings are being watched on each TV while 4 programs are being recorded on the DVR.

6 of 10 (1,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 1:56:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You record C-span????  Smiley Surprised

j/k

j/k

7 of 10 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 2:13:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

skeeterintexas wrote:

j/k

LOL.  Normally not.  I just grabbed it because I needed an SD channel to complete my 4 recordings.

skeeterintexas wrote:

j/k

LOL.  Normally not.  I just grabbed it because I needed an SD channel to complete my 4 recordings.

8 of 10 (1,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 4:42:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:49:28 PM

texasguy37 wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Is this something you discovered through usage?  As I've never seen posted that the program being watched on the TV connected to the DVR is not counted as being out of the DVR. Smiley Surprised

Edit:  Seems logical as having only 1 TV, watching a recording, Egress Profile on Realtime is 0/3.

Chris

texasguy37 wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Is this something you discovered through usage?  As I've never seen posted that the program being watched on the TV connected to the DVR is not counted as being out of the DVR. Smiley Surprised

Edit:  Seems logical as having only 1 TV, watching a recording, Egress Profile on Realtime is 0/3.

Chris

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (1,689 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 4:21:35 PM
(0)
Expert

Ingress and Egress limits on the DVR reflect upper bounds on the limiting hardware component, which is the network interface (Coax or Ethernet).

When watching recorded TV on the DVR, the stream does not leave the DVR via the network interface; instead it is rendered and sent out via HDMI/Component/Composite.  Thus, the network interface does not come into play, and this stream does not count against the Egress limit.

As you have discovered, UV Realtime already knows this. Smiley Happy

Ingress and Egress limits on the DVR reflect upper bounds on the limiting hardware component, which is the network interface (Coax or Ethernet).

When watching recorded TV on the DVR, the stream does not leave the DVR via the network interface; instead it is rendered and sent out via HDMI/Component/Composite.  Thus, the network interface does not come into play, and this stream does not count against the Egress limit.

As you have discovered, UV Realtime already knows this. Smiley Happy

10 of 10 (1,629 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments