Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 19, 2014
1:10:58 PM
View profile
How is Voice & Internet wired from my 2Wire Gateway in home...

I have the 2Wire residential gateway with voice and internet services.  The gateway has two connections to outlets on the wall.  One is marked voice and the other data.  I wired my home myself many years ago for voice.  I use 1 standard voice punchdown block that all hardwired phone lines connect to.  So they are all common to that 1 punchdown which has a connection to the outside AT&T termination box.  When AT&T installed the Uverse/Gateway/2Wire, they added the 2nd line (data).  And the tech accessed my punchdown block.   That sounds like my home wiring distribution shares the signal between voice and data?

I need to understand because I'm considering internet only and if I disconnect voice services, I need to know if the original home voice wiring and punchdown block is still part of the internet/2Wire system?  If I remove voice from my account, can I also remove the voice wiring and punch down block in my attic? 

In other words, is the data connection at my 2Wire independant of the voice system and does it have it's own line to the outside termination point?

Can someone from ATT answer?

Thanks.

I have the 2Wire residential gateway with voice and internet services.  The gateway has two connections to outlets on the wall.  One is marked voice and the other data.  I wired my home myself many years ago for voice.  I use 1 standard voice punchdown block that all hardwired phone lines connect to.  So they are all common to that 1 punchdown which has a connection to the outside AT&T termination box.  When AT&T installed the Uverse/Gateway/2Wire, they added the 2nd line (data).  And the tech accessed my punchdown block.   That sounds like my home wiring distribution shares the signal between voice and data?

I need to understand because I'm considering internet only and if I disconnect voice services, I need to know if the original home voice wiring and punchdown block is still part of the internet/2Wire system?  If I remove voice from my account, can I also remove the voice wiring and punch down block in my attic? 

In other words, is the data connection at my 2Wire independant of the voice system and does it have it's own line to the outside termination point?

Can someone from ATT answer?

Thanks.

How is Voice & Internet wired from my 2Wire Gateway in home...

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 1:41:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
F1Guy123 - Yes, the data feed is designed to be separate from the voice distribution. It should be a direct connection from the NID to the RG (residential gateway). Voice dial tone is provided at the tel1/2 jack on the RG. By plugging it into a wall jack it is distributed throughout the house.

Also, the tel house wiring should NOT be connected back to the NID because any fault outside will be attached to your house wiring,
F1Guy123 - Yes, the data feed is designed to be separate from the voice distribution. It should be a direct connection from the NID to the RG (residential gateway). Voice dial tone is provided at the tel1/2 jack on the RG. By plugging it into a wall jack it is distributed throughout the house.

Also, the tel house wiring should NOT be connected back to the NID because any fault outside will be attached to your house wiring,
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How is Voice & Internet wired from my 2Wire Gateway in home...

2 of 7 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 2:40:51 PM
(0)
Employee
To clarify, when Uverse was installed the tech..

A) installed a new cat5 wire from the NID to the gateway using data port on wall plate,back feed VOIP to home wiring using phone port on wall plate. OR

B) determined your house wring was acceptable and used a different pair in existing line to provide path from NID to gateway, attached to data port on wall plate, then backfeed VOIP to existing IW on phone port of wall plate.

If A)...cancel phone service and remove all old wiring if desire.
If B) ... cancel phone need existing wire to be left in place OR
remove and install new cat5 cable NID to RG, this would be a billable call, current rate $99 labor plus $55 for wiring.
To clarify, when Uverse was installed the tech..

A) installed a new cat5 wire from the NID to the gateway using data port on wall plate,back feed VOIP to home wiring using phone port on wall plate. OR

B) determined your house wring was acceptable and used a different pair in existing line to provide path from NID to gateway, attached to data port on wall plate, then backfeed VOIP to existing IW on phone port of wall plate.

If A)...cancel phone service and remove all old wiring if desire.
If B) ... cancel phone need existing wire to be left in place OR
remove and install new cat5 cable NID to RG, this would be a billable call, current rate $99 labor plus $55 for wiring.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 2:55:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

First of all, thank you for such a quick and on-target response.  I've been looking for a simple direct answer for days.  The telco has no knowledge of this unless you can find a technician...

I'm sure you are correct, but to clarify... here is what happened. 

1- Built the house with voice outlets in all rooms wired back to a central punchdown block in the attic with one pair each connected (self installed). 

2 - Telco brought in the live feed to my punchdown from the NID which activated service.

**You mention that house wiring should not be connected back to the NID so that faults don't propgate internally.  Makes sense, but from the punchdown to NID and beyond is a 'black box' to me and I don't know the connections or what kind of isolation is in place.  I'm only know that one pair from 'the telephone company' feeds my punchdown/voice network.

3 - Years later comes the Uverse/Gateway/Internet install.  I watched the tech at all times so I know he didn't run a new cable in.  He plugged the voice port of the Gateway into the closest wall voice outlet.  I showed him the punchdown for voice and he did some work there and then added a 2nd outlet at the wall near the gateway.  Then attached that 2nd wall outlet to the data side of the gateway.

The only explanation I have is that he used the existing voice cable from the wall outlet to the punchdown... using a spare copper pair from that same cable.  Crimped that unused pair at the punchdown to an unused pair coming from the NID, thus creating a 2 wire path from the NID, to my punchdown (not punched down but crimped) to the gateway outlet. Thus no new cabling.  The existing voice network didn't change.  The data network consists of a spare pair from the NID to the punchdown but crimped to the spare pair going to my wall outlet and then plugged into the data port on the gateway.

This sound plausible?

So in this scenerio, if I remove voice service, I only need to ensure that the feed from the NID to the crimped wires at the punchdown location on to the wall outlet at the gateway stays intact...

Of course, another question is best practice.  I can't imagine that it is best practice to piggy-back onto spare pair wiring from the voice network?  How about cable speed specs for internet feeds to the NID on an old voice cable?  I'm wondering it AT&T owes me a service call to run a proper cable from NID to gateway outlet for data...?

Thanks for the expert input.

First of all, thank you for such a quick and on-target response.  I've been looking for a simple direct answer for days.  The telco has no knowledge of this unless you can find a technician...

I'm sure you are correct, but to clarify... here is what happened. 

1- Built the house with voice outlets in all rooms wired back to a central punchdown block in the attic with one pair each connected (self installed). 

2 - Telco brought in the live feed to my punchdown from the NID which activated service.

**You mention that house wiring should not be connected back to the NID so that faults don't propgate internally.  Makes sense, but from the punchdown to NID and beyond is a 'black box' to me and I don't know the connections or what kind of isolation is in place.  I'm only know that one pair from 'the telephone company' feeds my punchdown/voice network.

3 - Years later comes the Uverse/Gateway/Internet install.  I watched the tech at all times so I know he didn't run a new cable in.  He plugged the voice port of the Gateway into the closest wall voice outlet.  I showed him the punchdown for voice and he did some work there and then added a 2nd outlet at the wall near the gateway.  Then attached that 2nd wall outlet to the data side of the gateway.

The only explanation I have is that he used the existing voice cable from the wall outlet to the punchdown... using a spare copper pair from that same cable.  Crimped that unused pair at the punchdown to an unused pair coming from the NID, thus creating a 2 wire path from the NID, to my punchdown (not punched down but crimped) to the gateway outlet. Thus no new cabling.  The existing voice network didn't change.  The data network consists of a spare pair from the NID to the punchdown but crimped to the spare pair going to my wall outlet and then plugged into the data port on the gateway.

This sound plausible?

So in this scenerio, if I remove voice service, I only need to ensure that the feed from the NID to the crimped wires at the punchdown location on to the wall outlet at the gateway stays intact...

Of course, another question is best practice.  I can't imagine that it is best practice to piggy-back onto spare pair wiring from the voice network?  How about cable speed specs for internet feeds to the NID on an old voice cable?  I'm wondering it AT&T owes me a service call to run a proper cable from NID to gateway outlet for data...?

Thanks for the expert input.

4 of 7 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 3:03:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

To the AT&T response... you are correct and the answer must be B).

So actually I could remove voice wiring as long as I ensured that that any wiring using the spare copper pair from NID to gateway wall outlet remains intact.  I'm assuming that there are connections at the wall outlet between the voice and data ports which provide the VOIP backfeed you mentioned?  As long as the data wiring remains untouched, I also assume I could remove the voice port and any 'backfeed' connections between the two as well at the wall plate?

Just trying to get it as clean as possible going forward.

Thanks.

To the AT&T response... you are correct and the answer must be B).

So actually I could remove voice wiring as long as I ensured that that any wiring using the spare copper pair from NID to gateway wall outlet remains intact.  I'm assuming that there are connections at the wall outlet between the voice and data ports which provide the VOIP backfeed you mentioned?  As long as the data wiring remains untouched, I also assume I could remove the voice port and any 'backfeed' connections between the two as well at the wall plate?

Just trying to get it as clean as possible going forward.

Thanks.

5 of 7 (262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 3:09:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:29:35 PM

F1Guy123 - I would have a hard enough time figuring out your wiring when I can look at. Any further discussion here is just speculation. If it works, leave it. If not call for repair. I think your description could include the direct connection to the RG. It is the pair that is crimped(&not connected to the bunching block) The other pair does connect to the bunching block & feeds the phones.

If all that really matters is disconnecting tel service, just call in and cancel. You do not have to do anything else. I would pull the wire out of the tel1/2 jack on the RG.

I, too, installed tel  jacks in every room when the house was built in 1971. All jacks home run to the bunching block. Since then I  added and removed wired for addl lines,  but I would never, ever remove the original wiring to the wall jacks. My U-verse is primarily COAX based.

F1Guy123 - I would have a hard enough time figuring out your wiring when I can look at. Any further discussion here is just speculation. If it works, leave it. If not call for repair. I think your description could include the direct connection to the RG. It is the pair that is crimped(&not connected to the bunching block) The other pair does connect to the bunching block & feeds the phones.

If all that really matters is disconnecting tel service, just call in and cancel. You do not have to do anything else. I would pull the wire out of the tel1/2 jack on the RG.

I, too, installed tel  jacks in every room when the house was built in 1971. All jacks home run to the bunching block. Since then I  added and removed wired for addl lines,  but I would never, ever remove the original wiring to the wall jacks. My U-verse is primarily COAX based.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 7:48:02 PM
(0)
Employee
A followup on cable, and time since installation....
Besides location, location, location...where you are located determines local practice.
AT&T is in 22 states, total of 5 regions, each region varies and possible variation within region.

I am in the Midwest (old Ameritech) prior to January 2013 the home run (wire from Nid to RG) could be coax on a diplexer, cat3 or cat5e install, just not quad (red/green/black/yellow) phone cable.

Since January 2013, the coax install is basically dead, preferred is cat5e either existing or new, can still use cat3 if good.
If in Midwest and your voice wiring is cat3 or cat5 there is no problem.
Many techs use same cable, even if new cat5 to back feed voip service to distribution point, as cable specs have noise cancellation with twisted pairs that quad (straight) does not.

Wiring on new install AT&T covers for 30 days from installation, afterwards wiring is your responsibility as part of your premise, not a part of AT&T plant. The NID is the changeover of responsibility.

If have a wire maintenance plan (monthly fee) the Uverse tech will repair or replace damaged lines without charge.
Without the wire backer program, all inside wiring is billable.

Request to install new of move existing is not covered under wire plan and would always be billable.

After stating all that, if your installation is within 30 days, may request a new home run no charge, after 30 days billable.
A followup on cable, and time since installation....
Besides location, location, location...where you are located determines local practice.
AT&T is in 22 states, total of 5 regions, each region varies and possible variation within region.

I am in the Midwest (old Ameritech) prior to January 2013 the home run (wire from Nid to RG) could be coax on a diplexer, cat3 or cat5e install, just not quad (red/green/black/yellow) phone cable.

Since January 2013, the coax install is basically dead, preferred is cat5e either existing or new, can still use cat3 if good.
If in Midwest and your voice wiring is cat3 or cat5 there is no problem.
Many techs use same cable, even if new cat5 to back feed voip service to distribution point, as cable specs have noise cancellation with twisted pairs that quad (straight) does not.

Wiring on new install AT&T covers for 30 days from installation, afterwards wiring is your responsibility as part of your premise, not a part of AT&T plant. The NID is the changeover of responsibility.

If have a wire maintenance plan (monthly fee) the Uverse tech will repair or replace damaged lines without charge.
Without the wire backer program, all inside wiring is billable.

Request to install new of move existing is not covered under wire plan and would always be billable.

After stating all that, if your installation is within 30 days, may request a new home run no charge, after 30 days billable.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 7 (235 Views)