Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 12, 2014
9:33:47 AM
View profile
How does totalhome DVR work?

We live in Austin and considering the gigapower.

We don't understand how this system works. If we have 4 different rooms each with TVs, do we need 4 receivers Or 3 receivers and the totalhome DVR? Can someone please explain?

We don't understand how this system works. If we have 4 different rooms each with TVs, do we need 4 receivers Or 3 receivers and the totalhome DVR? Can someone please explain?

How does totalhome DVR work?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:57:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:15:55 AM

Wtandct - The DVR box is included in the price for U200, 300 & 450, It contains a Hard Drive to record shows. The recording is independent of the viewing portion of the box. Up to eight addl wired STBs that replicate the viewing portion of the DVR can be added for viewing around the house to view live or recordings. While watching live programs can be stopped or rewound. This is called trick play.

It gets complicated when applying numbers. A standard install is four stream coming into the house. This is all you can watch and/or record at one time, no matter how many boxes you have. In addition to the four live, You watch an addl four previously recorded shows at the same time.

If you have the new gigapower, you may have addl capacity, now and in the future. If you have less than the standard install you will have less capacity.

For four viewing locations you need one DVR and three STBs (two can be wireless). Post if you have any more questions.

Wtandct - The DVR box is included in the price for U200, 300 & 450, It contains a Hard Drive to record shows. The recording is independent of the viewing portion of the box. Up to eight addl wired STBs that replicate the viewing portion of the DVR can be added for viewing around the house to view live or recordings. While watching live programs can be stopped or rewound. This is called trick play.

It gets complicated when applying numbers. A standard install is four stream coming into the house. This is all you can watch and/or record at one time, no matter how many boxes you have. In addition to the four live, You watch an addl four previously recorded shows at the same time.

If you have the new gigapower, you may have addl capacity, now and in the future. If you have less than the standard install you will have less capacity.

For four viewing locations you need one DVR and three STBs (two can be wireless). Post if you have any more questions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How does totalhome DVR work?

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (1,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:59:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:00:10 AM

Wtandct wrote:

You get one DVR and then (pay rental on) multiple Set Top Boxes (STB).

edit:  What aviewer says....

Wtandct wrote:

You get one DVR and then (pay rental on) multiple Set Top Boxes (STB).

edit:  What aviewer says....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (1,177 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 10:28:45 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @Wtandct 

Did answer your question? If you're satisfied with that answer, please mark it as accepted solution or let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @Wtandct 

Did answer your question? If you're satisfied with that answer, please mark it as accepted solution or let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (1,088 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments