How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Mentor

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
Message 1 of 162
Expert

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

I think we may need to take a step back here.

Right now, the assumption is that these new application channels cannot be hidden because they are advertising for AT&T, and AT&T has specifically disabled hiding them for this purpose.

That is actually pure speculation on our part. We don't know that to be true at all. AT&T has made many mistakes in the system before, we could just as easily speculate that they can't be hidden because they have been added to the system in an incorrect fashion.

I for one would like David, Alex, or someone else with some pull at AT&T to go up the chain and get an official answer. Later today, I may send both of them a PM on this issue and have them investigate.
Message 46 of 162
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Right now, the assumption is that these new application channels cannot be hidden because they are advertising for AT&T, and AT&T has specifically disabled hiding them for this purpose.

That is actually pure speculation on our part. We don't know that to be true at all. AT&T has made many mistakes in the system before, we could just as easily speculate that they can't be hidden because they have been added to the system in an incorrect fashion.

I for one would like David, Alex, or someone else with some pull at AT&T to go up the chain and get an official answer. Later today, I may send both of them a PM on this issue and have them investigate.

That would be great. Thank you for thinking of that. And thank you for being willing to take the initiative to obtain a clarification from AT&T about this.

I would love to find out this has all been some sort of technical error or something like that. If it is, let's get it fixed ASAP. No harm, no foul. However, it will be a real black mark on their reputation if it turns out it is not.

Message 47 of 162
Contributor

I'm writing to add a few comments to this stream, since it appears there is no way to directly communicate them to ATT. We probably belong to a relatively small community of viewers, but don't think we're alone in voicing these concerns.  We have one television. We just want to watch certain programs, movies, news and weather with minimal advertising.  We are not interested in recording programs, displaying caller ID, buying videos, tele-shopping, playing games, or paying for live events. I routinely hide all postings for new stations we don't subscribe to, att apps, video sales stations, sports stations, religious stations, children's stations, and MSNBC. Over time, we've gone from a premium plan to a basic plan, and now most of that is turned off because the bundled content is dreck. We're increasingly using an interface box to view content streamed from the internet. This includes pay-per-view movies, which can be had sooner, for less, from other sources. The interface box cost less than one month of uverse tv service. Using it requires juggling two remotes and the interface is a clunker, but at least we can pay for and view only what we want. We've been considering dropping uverse TV entirely. Being unable to hide apps is a deciding factor. In our opinion, we shouldn't have to pay for ANY programming we don't want to view. We definitely WILL NOT pay for bumf we can't at least hide. We would continue using uverse tv if we could get local HD stations for a small flat fee, get a decent selection of movies at competitive prices,  and select our own bundle of HD stations.

Message 48 of 162
Expert

I already sent a PM to Alex days before Thanksgiving, when all of this first started.  He IS working on finding out why these Apps cannot be hidden, while the others (old Ad Partners) can be hidden.  I asked what is the difference?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Message 49 of 162
Mentor

I not as violant about this as others but it really bothers me that AT&T is starting in with channels you can't hide.  This is just another example of AT&T not understanding usability and customer "friendly" experience.  Hide, which is much too hard to do, is really the only option for keeping your guide cleen.  Favorites doesn't work for me because you have to select favorite everytime you turn on.  What is to keep AT&T for putting more and more of these, like every few channels so you are stuck and starting with 1000 won't work.  What is keeping AT&T from not letting me hide channels that I find objectionable.  Many don't celebrate Christmas and Santa Claus and yet they have to have a Santa is coming channel.

I've been an Uverse customer for only 18 months and have seen no real improvements in their product.  Yes the last upgrade added pausing to all tv but at the expense of exceptionally slow DVR and having a significant number of remote presses be totally ignored by the boxes.

Yes Uverse is cheap but more and more you aren't getting what you pay for.

This lack of ability to hide more and more channels is more and more a big problem.

Message 50 of 162
Expert

As stated earlier, this has been reported to Alex (one of the ATT Community Managers), so he's working on finding out what's going on.

I cannot recall if the Santa Tracker could be hidden in the past.  It is a seasonal item, so it will drop off a few weeks after Christmas.

For all we know, this is an error in programming?  Other Ad Partner channels from the past can still be hidden (like the Barbie Channel).

I've had the product for going on 4.5 years now and have seen TONS of improvements.  When I signed up, it was 1HD stream, no whole-home DVR...just to name a few. Smiley Wink

Re Favorites, have you tried the newest shortcut using the Zoom button on your remote?

Yes, Hide is a pain and in great need of improvement!

Message 51 of 162
Expert

I can think of quite a few improvements over the past 18 months.  Here are just a few that come to mind:

1. 4 HD stream profile

2. Record 3 HD channels at the same time

3. Ability to prioritize series recordings

4. Ability to indicate how many episodes to store of a series recording

5. THDVR Phase 3 Update

6.  Available recording space graph

7. For sports fans:  NBA TV, NBA League Pass, MLB Network, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Soccer HD, Gol TV HD, Out of market RSN's in HD

8. AMC and msnbc available in all markets

9. For Mad Men fans:  AMC HD

10. On Demand content for ABC, NBC and Fox

11. DVR's with 500 GB hard drives

12 Wireless STB's

There are many other improvements that I could mention including many new channels additions.  Anyone who feels that there have been no improvements with U-verse over the last 18 months has not been paying attention.  Is U-verse perfect?  No, but it continues to improve.

Message 52 of 162
Contributor

I came on here specifically looking for a way to contact AT&T to complain about not being able to hide these new apps.  But since they don't provide a way to actually contact them other than by phone, I wandered into here.  At least it is somewhat comforting to find other people are annoyed by this too. 

I was already unhappy that they add dozens of special sports & foreign language channels at a time, requiring me to trudge thru the long list to hide them all.  But when they started in with apps/informercials for cold sores (!!) that can't be hidden, that was the last straw.

Yes, I know all about Favorites.  No, I don't use it because it isn't as convenient -- if it was a 1-click to bring up your favorites I would, but it takes 3.

No, this isn't the end of the world, but I am still very annoyed to have extra garbage to scroll thru.  I have even started shopping for an alternative, but the only one with internet is TWC - been there, done that.    It is just really frustrating.

Message 53 of 162
Expert

Favorties can be accessed with a click of the Zoom button on your remote.

Message 54 of 162
Contributor

I never thought I would miss Comcast, Time Warner, Xfinity, etc.

Message 55 of 162
Scholar

Wow. This is really intriguing.

Apparently, some long time U-Verse supporters are willing to accept a small amount of annoyance (not being able to hide channels)  if it helps keep prices down ("only" a $5 increase in 2012 for less programming than we got in 2011).

I wonder how far we can take this. For example, if you can have "free" U-300 but you have to watch a 30 minute infomercial once a week before U-Verse would show you anything else, would you do it?  What about a 30 second commercial before any playback on your DVR if it kept the 2013 price increase to "only" $5.

Seriously, I'm trying to make a point here. How much annoyance will be tolerated before consumers will bolt. I can read my local newspaper online but it is painfully slow because each page comes with a dozen ads that have to load. I can watch "Fringe" on-demand from fox.com but I have sit through commercials and can't fast forward.

My response is that customers must take a zero-tolerance policy to this kind of thing or we will soon be innundated by it. If customers don't complain about 10 channels that can't be hidden, what about 20? 50? Where is your personal breaking point that will cause you to pick up the phone.

Message 56 of 162
Scholar

TG - no argument with the above, however, objectively, U-Verse is not "improving" at the same rate as Time Warner. TWC in Columbus has gone from not being competitive to being very competitive in a relatively short period of time.
Message 57 of 162

marcindublin wrote:

Wow. This is really intriguing.

Apparently, some long time U-Verse supporters are willing to accept a small amount of annoyance (not being able to hide channels)  if it helps keep prices down ("only" a $5 increase in 2012 for less programming than we got in 2011).

I wonder how far we can take this. For example, if you can have "free" U-300 but you have to watch a 30 minute infomercial once a week before U-Verse would show you anything else, would you do it?  What about a 30 second commercial before any playback on your DVR if it kept the 2013 price increase to "only" $5.

Seriously, I'm trying to make a point here. How much annoyance will be tolerated before consumers will bolt. I can read my local newspaper online but it is painfully slow because each page comes with a dozen ads that have to load. I can watch "Fringe" on-demand from fox.com but I have sit through commercials and can't fast forward.

My response is that customers must take a zero-tolerance policy to this kind of thing or we will soon be innundated by it. If customers don't complain about 10 channels that can't be hidden, what about 20? 50? Where is your personal breaking point that will cause you to pick up the phone.

To me it's not an annoyance at all. I've had Dish, Direct and TWC and their  rate increases each year were much more than UVerse.  Who cares if you can't hide a channel?  You can't on any other provider.  The point is no one is making you watch those channels so what is the big deal.  Set up a favorites guide and you don't have to worry about it.  If you are watching HD you don't have to worry about it since the apps are all in the SD portion of the guide.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 58 of 162
Contributor

I don't know how to quote someone here....  In response to the suggestion to "just use the zoom button"...

Zoom takes you to the menu, then you gotta click the down arrows to get to the Favorites guide. If it just opened it right up I'd be happy with that.  So it isn't the same thing.   Unless you know a trick to make it go straight to the Favorites lineup?

Message 59 of 162
ACE - Expert

starsong2001 wrote:

I don't know how to quote someone here....  In response to the suggestion to "just use the zoom button"...

Zoom takes you to the menu, then you gotta click the down arrows to get to the Favorites guide. If it just opened it right up I'd be happy with that.  So it isn't the same thing.   Unless you know a trick to make it go straight to the Favorites lineup?

Just click on their Reply button and when the reply box comes up, just push Quote, next to Spell Check. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 60 of 162
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support