Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 23, 2011
5:01:06 PM
How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?
There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

161 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(161)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 1:12:02 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thanks everyone for the great feedback on this topic.  As mentioned by the Community Leaders, we have engaged the appropriate group.  I will gladly update this thread with anything that can help.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback on this topic.  As mentioned by the Community Leaders, we have engaged the appropriate group.  I will gladly update this thread with anything that can help.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

61 of 162 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 1:57:21 PM
(0)
Expert
Thanks Alex! Looking forward to what you find out ...

Thanks Alex! Looking forward to what you find out ...

62 of 162 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 4:25:11 PM
(0)
Expert

That was me. Smiley Wink  I was only suggesting that method as another option. Smiley Sad

starsong2001 wrote:

I don't know how to quote someone here....  In response to the suggestion to "just use the zoom button"...

Zoom takes you to the menu, then you gotta click the down arrows to get to the Favorites guide. If it just opened it right up I'd be happy with that.  So it isn't the same thing.   Unless you know a trick to make it go straight to the Favorites lineup?

That was me. Smiley Wink  I was only suggesting that method as another option. Smiley Sad

starsong2001 wrote:

I don't know how to quote someone here....  In response to the suggestion to "just use the zoom button"...

Zoom takes you to the menu, then you gotta click the down arrows to get to the Favorites guide. If it just opened it right up I'd be happy with that.  So it isn't the same thing.   Unless you know a trick to make it go straight to the Favorites lineup?

63 of 162 (751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 4:11:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

how long have you been an AT&T employee?

how long have you been an AT&T employee?

64 of 162 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 4:13:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
doesn't answer the question, does it? the answer is, you can't hide the new apps. it's a way for AT&T to generate more revenue so subscribers now how to live with it. tata att, hello twc.
doesn't answer the question, does it? the answer is, you can't hide the new apps. it's a way for AT&T to generate more revenue so subscribers now how to live with it. tata att, hello twc.

65 of 162 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 4:16:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
of course it didn't help. you never answered the question. is that because you can't hide the new app channels but you don't want to admit that? another example of att's unbridled concern for its customers. no wonder it's going out of business.
of course it didn't help. you never answered the question. is that because you can't hide the new app channels but you don't want to admit that? another example of att's unbridled concern for its customers. no wonder it's going out of business.

66 of 162 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 4:19:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
uverse was barely tolerable when you could hide all the paid advertising. now that you can't, this is only going to get worse. i'm sure there will be new acne and deodorant channels appearing soon. when i contacted u-verse customer support about this i was told it was a software glitch that's being investigated. clearly this is no glitch. if that's the case then it's apparently the company's policy to have its support center lie to customers. interesting service model.
uverse was barely tolerable when you could hide all the paid advertising. now that you can't, this is only going to get worse. i'm sure there will be new acne and deodorant channels appearing soon. when i contacted u-verse customer support about this i was told it was a software glitch that's being investigated. clearly this is no glitch. if that's the case then it's apparently the company's policy to have its support center lie to customers. interesting service model.

67 of 162 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 10:07:48 AM
(0)
Expert

I don't know who you're asking:  how long have you been an employee--but I'm not one.

If you read the earlier post by Alex (who is an employee), the matter has been reported to ATT and it appears this is a glitch in programming.  It was NOT ATTs intention that some Apps cannot be hidden.

Sit tight.Smiley Wink

I don't know who you're asking:  how long have you been an employee--but I'm not one.

If you read the earlier post by Alex (who is an employee), the matter has been reported to ATT and it appears this is a glitch in programming.  It was NOT ATTs intention that some Apps cannot be hidden.

Sit tight.Smiley Wink

68 of 162 (662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 10:30:44 AM
(0)
Guru

Let's just be plain honest about this.

It doesn't make a BIT of difference that "We've forwarded these comments to the department responsible for this". IT JUST DOESN'T. Plain and simple. Period. End of story.

Comcast played the same game with customers when they took away 2 channel positions in the EPG and replaced them with their ads. There was a huge outcry, in the calls, the letters, the online outrage .... they told customers, "Oh, we're listening". It didn't make a bit of difference -- like it or lump it. The ads stayed. Yeah --- they sure listened, right?

AT&T has their "We're fighting for you" webpage up for the same reason: To make it APPEAR that they are listening to customers. That was launched when the Hallmark Channel blowup occurred. Ever see any "official" AT&T updates about the progress of that? What about the NHL stuff? Nope.

Perfect representation of these WEASEL WORDS was on "Will and Grace" when Jack was outraged because of no M2M on-screen kiss. The NBC "executive" came down and said, "I understand, but the network has no comment. Thanks for watching NBC."

Smarten up, folks. Your little $100 a month does not AT&T a goliath make. Oh, they like your checks. But that's about as far loyalty goes.

Let's just be plain honest about this.

It doesn't make a BIT of difference that "We've forwarded these comments to the department responsible for this". IT JUST DOESN'T. Plain and simple. Period. End of story.

Comcast played the same game with customers when they took away 2 channel positions in the EPG and replaced them with their ads. There was a huge outcry, in the calls, the letters, the online outrage .... they told customers, "Oh, we're listening". It didn't make a bit of difference -- like it or lump it. The ads stayed. Yeah --- they sure listened, right?

AT&T has their "We're fighting for you" webpage up for the same reason: To make it APPEAR that they are listening to customers. That was launched when the Hallmark Channel blowup occurred. Ever see any "official" AT&T updates about the progress of that? What about the NHL stuff? Nope.

Perfect representation of these WEASEL WORDS was on "Will and Grace" when Jack was outraged because of no M2M on-screen kiss. The NBC "executive" came down and said, "I understand, but the network has no comment. Thanks for watching NBC."

Smarten up, folks. Your little $100 a month does not AT&T a goliath make. Oh, they like your checks. But that's about as far loyalty goes.

69 of 162 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 10:59:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

randylankford wrote:

AT&T going out of business?  Wow, that's a new one.  Not going to hold my breath though.  Don't see it happening in the next 100 years.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

randylankford wrote:

AT&T going out of business?  Wow, that's a new one.  Not going to hold my breath though.  Don't see it happening in the next 100 years.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

70 of 162 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 12:00:48 PM
(0)
Guru

oufanindallas wrote:

randylankford wrote:

Nah, they won't "go out of business". They'll evolve back into a phone company again.

I can tell you, though, Uverse will probably get sold off, and more than likely Verizon would take it over. Why? It'd be a perfect fit to somewhat upgrade one side of the AT&T equation (reaching the customers), while taking the other side and implementing it onto their FiOS side (namely the H.264 and full IPTV delivery). Broadband speeds would jump in Uverse areas to numbers you couldn't even dream of under VDSL (without a whole lot of "mini-VRADs" popping up all over the place), HD channels would go to native H.264 strengths because of the overhead capacity on fiber, and the name-recognition of FiOS could draw a lot more customers by reputation than Uverse does currently.

Granted, it would be a little bit of a skirmish, because regulators would have a problem with two Telcos somehow "in cahoots" with each other, but it wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility.

oufanindallas wrote:

randylankford wrote:

Nah, they won't "go out of business". They'll evolve back into a phone company again.

I can tell you, though, Uverse will probably get sold off, and more than likely Verizon would take it over. Why? It'd be a perfect fit to somewhat upgrade one side of the AT&T equation (reaching the customers), while taking the other side and implementing it onto their FiOS side (namely the H.264 and full IPTV delivery). Broadband speeds would jump in Uverse areas to numbers you couldn't even dream of under VDSL (without a whole lot of "mini-VRADs" popping up all over the place), HD channels would go to native H.264 strengths because of the overhead capacity on fiber, and the name-recognition of FiOS could draw a lot more customers by reputation than Uverse does currently.

Granted, it would be a little bit of a skirmish, because regulators would have a problem with two Telcos somehow "in cahoots" with each other, but it wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility.

71 of 162 (848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 12:22:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Interesting, we've heard that rumor before. Smiley Wink

Now back OT... 

Interesting, we've heard that rumor before. Smiley Wink

Now back OT... 

72 of 162 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 6:45:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Dec 3, 2011 at 6:47:58 PM

jbdet313 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

randylankford wrote:

You are dreaming, Verizon has absolutely shut down any more Fios expansion and wish it had never been implemented by the former head honcho.  He left Verizon billions of dollars in debt by laying fiber through most of it's territory.

They are not likely buyers of Uverse as they would not be willing make the investment needed to upgrade Uverse .

By the way, Fios TV delivery is by RF delivery down the fiber just like cable, all they use IPTV for is VOD.  Don't think they'd 'degrade' their current system by going the Uverse way. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

jbdet313 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

randylankford wrote:

You are dreaming, Verizon has absolutely shut down any more Fios expansion and wish it had never been implemented by the former head honcho.  He left Verizon billions of dollars in debt by laying fiber through most of it's territory.

They are not likely buyers of Uverse as they would not be willing make the investment needed to upgrade Uverse .

By the way, Fios TV delivery is by RF delivery down the fiber just like cable, all they use IPTV for is VOD.  Don't think they'd 'degrade' their current system by going the Uverse way. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
73 of 162 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 6:49:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I was just talking about Verizon FIOS earlier today.  I was wondering why I hadn't heard any more about it.  I figured it must have stalled and gone away.

I was just talking about Verizon FIOS earlier today.  I was wondering why I hadn't heard any more about it.  I figured it must have stalled and gone away.

74 of 162 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 2:52:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

So recently AT&T has introduced these new App Channels, one for the santa tracker, one for HSN one for ESPN and a few others.

Why when I go into channel options will AT&T not allow me to hide these channels? 

So recently AT&T has introduced these new App Channels, one for the santa tracker, one for HSN one for ESPN and a few others.

Why when I go into channel options will AT&T not allow me to hide these channels? 

Why can't I hide these new App Channels?

75 of 162 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 3:08:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good question.

Good question.

Re: Why can't I hide these new App Channels?

76 of 162 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 3:13:04 PM
(0)
Expert

This has already been discussed, and when this (already requested) post is moved, you can read more.

ATT is now aware of it, working on a fix, we don't know how long it will take. Smiley Wink

This has already been discussed, and when this (already requested) post is moved, you can read more.

ATT is now aware of it, working on a fix, we don't know how long it will take. Smiley Wink

Re: Why can't I hide these new App Channels?

77 of 162 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 1:21:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

oufanindallas wrote:

razzzy wrote:

When going past those certain channels, there is a pause when going between stations (sometimes even lags).   It's just funny how nobody knows what is going on at U-verse.  I have HD and all these channels are showing up in the non-HD area.

So start the guide at 1000 and you won't have to look at them.

How exactly is this done?  I saw no way to remove channel numbers up to a certain point.

oufanindallas wrote:

razzzy wrote:

When going past those certain channels, there is a pause when going between stations (sometimes even lags).   It's just funny how nobody knows what is going on at U-verse.  I have HD and all these channels are showing up in the non-HD area.

So start the guide at 1000 and you won't have to look at them.

How exactly is this done?  I saw no way to remove channel numbers up to a certain point.

78 of 162 (693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 1:24:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:25:21 PM

He means that you can enter 1 0 0 0 into the remote to start surfing through the channels beginning with the HD channels.

He means that you can enter 1 0 0 0 into the remote to start surfing through the channels beginning with the HD channels.

[ Edited ]
79 of 162 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 3:52:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Thanks TG,  people are making this into rocket surgery.

texasguy37 wrote:

Thanks TG,  people are making this into rocket surgery.

80 of 162 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 5:16:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

...people are making this into rocket surgery.

Smiley Very Happy

I, literally, LOL'd!!!!

oufanindallas wrote:

...people are making this into rocket surgery.

Smiley Very Happy

I, literally, LOL'd!!!!

81 of 162 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 3:02:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:19:31 PM

Every couple of weeks ATT adds new channels to the line up - a headache but tolerable when they can be hidden. Recently they have been adding "applications" which can not be hidden - one being tracking Santa. I spoke with Tech Services this evening and was told there is no way to hide the app.

This is wrong. I pay way too much for this service as it is and should have option of hiding whatever channels I want. Can anyone from ATT tell me why this is not so?

[subject edited to reflect merged topic]

Every couple of weeks ATT adds new channels to the line up - a headache but tolerable when they can be hidden. Recently they have been adding "applications" which can not be hidden - one being tracking Santa. I spoke with Tech Services this evening and was told there is no way to hide the app.

This is wrong. I pay way too much for this service as it is and should have option of hiding whatever channels I want. Can anyone from ATT tell me why this is not so?

[ Edited ]
82 of 162 (728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 8:03:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Honkerii wrote:

No one is forcing you to watch.  Those channels keep costs from rising any higher by PAYING to be broadcast.  Skip them and move on, seriously.  More rocket surgery in action.

Honkerii wrote:

No one is forcing you to watch.  Those channels keep costs from rising any higher by PAYING to be broadcast.  Skip them and move on, seriously.  More rocket surgery in action.

83 of 162 (706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 8:13:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Since I am paying extra for HD, I do not want to see these channels that show up on non-HD.  Uverse issued me a 6 month credit on HD services until they figure out what is going on.

Anyone who is paying for HD should do the same.  Maybe this will put a little spark to fix this problem.

Since I am paying extra for HD, I do not want to see these channels that show up on non-HD.  Uverse issued me a 6 month credit on HD services until they figure out what is going on.

Anyone who is paying for HD should do the same.  Maybe this will put a little spark to fix this problem.

84 of 162 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 11:32:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

razzzy wrote:

What a crock.  Those apps aren't on HD so what difference does it make.  NO ONE is FORCING anyone to watch them. 

razzzy wrote:

What a crock.  Those apps aren't on HD so what difference does it make.  NO ONE is FORCING anyone to watch them. 

85 of 162 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 1:08:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Actually they are forcing you to watch by not allowing the channels to be hidden.  Every family watches TV a different way.  We are channels surfers so we see all the new channels that can't be removed (and those that are duplicated).

You are correct by saying the apps aren't in HD.  I am paying an extra $10 for HD services, so I expect not to see anything in non-HD.

I was told by a 2nd tier rep that I should call back after 6 months to get another full credit if this is not resolved.  They are getting flooded with calls regarding this issue.

Actually they are forcing you to watch by not allowing the channels to be hidden.  Every family watches TV a different way.  We are channels surfers so we see all the new channels that can't be removed (and those that are duplicated).

You are correct by saying the apps aren't in HD.  I am paying an extra $10 for HD services, so I expect not to see anything in non-HD.

I was told by a 2nd tier rep that I should call back after 6 months to get another full credit if this is not resolved.  They are getting flooded with calls regarding this issue.

86 of 162 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 2:20:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I have HD and am not being forced to watch.  I know which channels are Apps and avoid them.

You can make a list of Favorites for just HD channels and use that (Zoom/Enter button on remote--View Favorite Channels).

Or as suggested earlier, just pick up the remote and go to channel one thousand, from there you can surf Up using the + channel button.

Personally, when I pick up the remote, I go to 1802 and surf Up from there.  Premiums are mostly what I watch (I hate commercials).

There are different surfing methods, but not being able to hide these Apps is NOT a problem for most. 

A change I'd like to see is an HD Channels Only option in the Guide, like what we can do online with the WRA.  Smiley Wink  But, with that method, you'd miss out on a few channels that are still not in the HD lineup.

I have HD and am not being forced to watch.  I know which channels are Apps and avoid them.

You can make a list of Favorites for just HD channels and use that (Zoom/Enter button on remote--View Favorite Channels).

Or as suggested earlier, just pick up the remote and go to channel one thousand, from there you can surf Up using the + channel button.

Personally, when I pick up the remote, I go to 1802 and surf Up from there.  Premiums are mostly what I watch (I hate commercials).

There are different surfing methods, but not being able to hide these Apps is NOT a problem for most. 

A change I'd like to see is an HD Channels Only option in the Guide, like what we can do online with the WRA.  Smiley Wink  But, with that method, you'd miss out on a few channels that are still not in the HD lineup.

87 of 162 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 4:46:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
I only see HD channels in my guide! Why...because I hide all the non HD channels. Except for these lousy apps that are popping up and not able to be hidden.

And that is full circle....
I only see HD channels in my guide! Why...because I hide all the non HD channels. Except for these lousy apps that are popping up and not able to be hidden.

88 of 162 (630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 5:18:54 PM
(0)
Expert

Then I misunderstood. Smiley Sad  Hopefully, they'll get it worked out soon.

razzzy wrote:

Then I misunderstood. Smiley Sad  Hopefully, they'll get it worked out soon.

razzzy wrote:

89 of 162 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 6:47:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

razzzy wrote:

No they are not forcing you to watch.  Forcing you to watch would only be showing those channels.  You can skip right past them if you so desire. 

You may be paying extra for HD, but every other provider charges for HD in one   form another.  No such thing as a free lunch.

razzzy wrote:

No they are not forcing you to watch.  Forcing you to watch would only be showing those channels.  You can skip right past them if you so desire. 

You may be paying extra for HD, but every other provider charges for HD in one   form another.  No such thing as a free lunch.

90 of 162 (617 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments