Helpful Links

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Mentor

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
Message 1 of 162
Expert

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Yup, but I have a lot of catching up to do. Smiley Wink

texasguy37 wrote:

Looks like someone else is going to have a new set of steak knives before Christmas.  Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 162

razzzy wrote:

When going past those certain channels, there is a pause when going between stations (sometimes even lags).   It's just funny how nobody knows what is going on at U-verse.  I have HD and all these channels are showing up in the non-HD area.

So start the guide at 1000 and you won't have to look at them.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 32 of 162

MojoMan_1 wrote:

Apparenty AT&T knows these channels are crap, sure to be turned off by vast numbers of their customers as soon as they can figure out how, which is why AT&T disabled the ability to hide them.

In other words, AT&T has apparently disabled the ability to hide these channels because they know that everybody who knew how to hide them would do just that. But they want to impose this crap on us anyway, even against our express wishes.

If this is not a case-study example of bad customer service, I do not know what is.

Congratulations, AT&T! You have really distinguished yourselves here.

Since those channels pay to be placed on UVerse they help keep the cost down.  No one is forcing you to watch them.  It's not a case study in bad customer service.  Seriously people.  Getting upset over something so minor is truly amazing.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 33 of 162

razzzy wrote:

Mr. Texas,

How do you explain to customers that inquire about the ability not to hid these channels?  Responses I got:

1) I don't know what you are talking about

2) They are part of the free preview of Package 450

3) The apps will only last 10 days.

4) Thanks for the feedback , we don't have any info but we'll pass your request on to the U-verse team

5) We are just in technical support and do not know this answer you will have to call customer service

6) Well look at that...never seen that before.

I wish the rep would just say that we are no longer allowing you to hide channels and we know the situation.

Many of the customer service reps don't have UVerse therefore have no clue regarding programming.

Message 34 of 162
Mentor

skeeterintexas wrote:

MojoMan_1 wrote:
Oh really? Have you received a rebate or a reduction in your monthly rates in connection with this? Because I certainly haven't.

Once again we see one of the "community leaders" shilling for AT&T.

Hmmmm.

Maybe, just maybe, those annoying ads ARE keeping costs down.  Just because someone didn't inform you, me or anyone else doesn't mean it didn't make good business sense.

Annoying?  Perhaps but like spd says, just ignore the darn things.  They are not unlike those annoying popups on certain websites.

Adding new advertising does not reduce costs. It increases revenues - for AT&T. Are customers going to receive some share of these new revenues later? Of course not. This all goes straight to AT&T's bottom line

From AT&T's perspective, of course this makes business sense, at least in the very short term. But over the longer term, this is not going to be a feature that customers are going to appreciate or value. This is all for AT&T and AT&T only. These advertising "App" channels are pure unadulterated crap. They do not add value to very many customers at all, and if AT&T even cared about that, they would allow those who are offended by these channels to hide them. Over the longer term, it is unfortunate moves like this that will erode and undermine AT&T's reputation for a customer oriented focus.

And as far as the previous selling point that you can hide channels, that will need to be revised to something like this:

"On AT&T Uverse, you can customize and hide unwanted channels, allowing you to make your channel line more personally relevant and navigable. Except for certain channels that you will likely find the very most annoying, which AT&T will not allow you to hide, as these channels allow AT&T to deliver spam advertising right through your TV screen. AT&T even offers the convenience of automatically populating the spam advertising ordering screens with your personal information before you have even decided to initiate a purchase. Of course all of this is a great feature that customers should regard as a real benefit. Brought to you by AT&T."

And then the "community leaders" on the U-verse forums will line up to chime in offering their support for this rediculous proposition. Very nice.

Message 35 of 162

MojoMan_1 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

MojoMan_1 wrote:
Oh really? Have you received a rebate or a reduction in your monthly rates in connection with this? Because I certainly haven't.

Once again we see one of the "community leaders" shilling for AT&T.

Hmmmm.

Maybe, just maybe, those annoying ads ARE keeping costs down.  Just because someone didn't inform you, me or anyone else doesn't mean it didn't make good business sense.

Annoying?  Perhaps but like spd says, just ignore the darn things.  They are not unlike those annoying popups on certain websites.

Adding new advertising does not reduce costs. It increases revenues - for AT&T. Are customers going to receive some share of these new revenues later? Of course not. This all goes straight to AT&T's bottom line

From AT&T's perspective, of course this makes business sense, at least in the very short term. But over the longer term, this is not going to be a feature that customers are going to appreciate or value. This is all for AT&T and AT&T only. These advertising "App" channels are pure unadulterated crap. They do not add value to very many customers at all, and if AT&T even cared about that, they would allow those who are offended by these channels to hide them. Over the longer term, it is unfortunate moves like this that will erode and undermine AT&T's reputation for a customer oriented focus.

And as far as the previous selling point that you can hide channels, that will need to be revised to something like this:

"On AT&T Uverse, you can customize and hide unwanted channels, allowing you to make your channel line more personally relevant and navigable. Except for certain channels that you will likely find the very most annoying, which AT&T will not allow you to hide, as these channels allow AT&T to deliver spam advertising right through your TV screen. AT&T even offers the convenience of automatically populating the spam advertising ordering screens with your personal information before you have even decided to initiate a purchase. Of course all of this is a great feature that customers should regard as a real benefit. Brought to you by AT&T."

And then the "community leaders" on the U-verse forums will line up to chime in offering their support for this rediculous proposition. Very nice.

Really, if it's that important to you then by all means, go to a different provider.  I'm sure they will gladly accept you.  Those apps and shopping channels to subsidize costs and keep prices from sky rocketing.  Unlike other services (Comcast) who will raise rates ever time the wind changes direction, AT&T has a one time rate increase in February.  This year it's less than $5 depending on which package you have.  Without the additional shopping channels and the apps it would probably be a greater than $10 increase.  So go ahead and complain all you want. I'd gladly have a few more added as long as rates stay lower.

Message 36 of 162
Mentor

oufanindallas wrote:

Really, if it's that important to you then by all means, go to a different provider.  I'm sure they will gladly accept you.  Those apps and shopping channels to subsidize costs and keep prices from sky rocketing.  Unlike other services (Comcast) who will raise rates ever time the wind changes direction, AT&T has a one time rate increase in February.  This year it's less than $5 depending on which package you have.  Without the additional shopping channels and the apps it would probably be a greater than $10 increase.  So go ahead and complain all you want. I'd gladly have a few more added as long as rates stay lower.

You go to another provider. This new strategy is unacceptable and I will not stand down. You go to another provider if you think this is a good idea.

This new strategy of using their network to deliver unwanted spam advertising directly through the TV screen, which they refuse to allow their customers to permanently and completely opt out of, is a bad idea. AT&T is making a big mistake here.

And the suggestion that customers should just get used to planning evasive manuevers to avoid these crap channels is simply astounding. It is bad enough with the regular advertising on the non-pay channels, but now the cable provider has decided they are going to get into the act by using their service for delivering unwanted spam advertising to their paying customers. With no permanent opt-out available. With the spammers you are at least supposed to have that option according to the law. But not with AT&T. Unbelievable.

I have supported AT&T's efforts to hold the line on actual costs (which the addition of these new "App" channels has nothing to do with) by cutting off channels when the media providers push to increase rates inappropriately. And in some cases, if the greed of certain channels becomes too excessive, these channels will need to be permanently eliminated from the line-up. That is what needs to be done.to control costs.There is just no way around that.

The ability to hide these unwanted channels needs to be restored right away.

Message 37 of 162
ACE - Master

To be totally honest, I didn't even know those channels were there until someone posted about it on these boards.  But then again, I'm not a "channel surfer".  I'm a "guide watcher".  I peruse the guide and if something catches my eye, I watch it.  If not, I move on.  DH is a channel surfer but he only surfs in the HD waters.

I don't get why some people have their knickers in such a twist.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 38 of 162
Mentor

It's all about control.  I have the remote "control" and can't control my TV! LOL!

AT&T incicated that I could customize the Guide and set it up so that I could "control" what channels I saw, now I can't.  It's just frustrating to have control that you once had, taken away.  People don't like that.

I'm not really too upset about it, (I have other TV issues).  But I can understand how some people might be, and I do think it's an underhanded move on the part of the service. 

Message 39 of 162
Expert

newgeek wrote:

It's all about control.  I have the remote "control" and can't control my TV! LOL!

AT&T incicated that I could customize the Guide and set it up so that I could "control" what channels I saw, now I can't.  It's just frustrating to have control that you once had, taken away.  People don't like that.

I'm not really too upset about it, (I have other TV issues).  But I can understand how some people might be, and I do think it's an underhanded move on the part of the service. 

You do?  In what way would that be?  You can't watch those apps unless you make a very deliberate effort to do so.  It's not like a commercial about something that you have no interest in being inserted into a program that you are watching.

Message 40 of 162
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

newgeek wrote:

You do?  In what way would that be?  You can't watch those apps unless you make a very deliberate effort to do so.  It's not like a commercial about something that you have no interest in being inserted into a program that you are watching.

You can't look at unwanted spam email messages sent to you unless you make a deliberate effort to do so either. Are you now going to make the case that spam should not be regarded as offensive because you can always just take evasive manuevers to avoid it?

This new strategy by AT&T of not allowing its paying customers to permanently opt out of channels that are purely purposed to provide (unwanted) advertising is not the same thing as encountering an advertisement on show broadcast by a non-premium TV channel. 

The problem here is not the insertion of these channels into the line-up. It is the disabling of the hide function which provides paying customers the option of opting out of this offensive crap.

Message 41 of 162

MojoMan_1 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

You go to another provider. This new strategy is unacceptable and I will not stand down. You go to another provider if you think this is a good idea.

This new strategy of using their network to deliver unwanted spam advertising directly through the TV screen, which they refuse to allow their customers to permanently and completely opt out of, is a bad idea. AT&T is making a big mistake here.

And the suggestion that customers should just get used to planning evasive manuevers to avoid these crap channels is simply astounding. It is bad enough with the regular advertising on the non-pay channels, but now the cable provider has decided they are going to get into the act by using their service for delivering unwanted spam advertising to their paying customers. With no permanent opt-out available. With the spammers you are at least supposed to have that option according to the law. But not with AT&T. Unbelievable.

I have supported AT&T's efforts to hold the line on actual costs (which the addition of these new "App" channels has nothing to do with) by cutting off channels when the media providers push to increase rates inappropriately. And in some cases, if the greed of certain channels becomes too excessive, these channels will need to be permanently eliminated from the line-up. That is what needs to be done.to control costs.There is just no way around that.

I'm not the one bothered by it so why would I change providers. I happen to love my UVerse and if there are a few "apps" that I can't hide, SO WHAT?  I don't go below 1000 anyway so I don't even see them.

Message 42 of 162

newgeek wrote:

Yes you can. You can create a guide with just your favorite channels in it.

Message 43 of 162
Expert

MojoMan_1 wrote:

You can't look at unwanted spam email messages sent to you unless you make a deliberate effort to do so either. Are you now going to make the case that spam should not be regarded as offensive because you can always just take evasive maneuvers to avoid it?

This new strategy by AT&T of not allowing its paying customers to permanently opt out of channels that are purely purposed to provide (unwanted) advertising is not the same thing as encountering an advertisement on show broadcast by a non-premium TV channel. 

The problem here is not the insertion of these channels into the line-up. It is the disabling of the hide function which provides paying customers the option of opting out of this offensive crap.

Spam email does not bother me.  It goes into my spam folders and I never read it!  That's the reason "evasive maneuvers" exist.  There also comes a time where a little common sense needs to be used.

I'm not sure why you seem to have such an issue with this, and I would bet that those who would also like the ability to hide those channel are wondering the same thing.  It seems like an unhealthy obsession.  You have wasted more time posting about this on this forum than it would take for you to ignore those channels and go on about your business.

Message 44 of 162
Expert

Amen, Bro CL! Life is TOO short to worry about the small stuff!

Message 45 of 162
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support