Helpful Links

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Mentor

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
Message 1 of 162
Scholar

Re: How do you hide all of the new "APS"?

I too find this practice to be annoying.  However, every TV provider has some annoyances.  For example, I would be annoyed to have a dish like my neighbor's attached to my house:

IMG_0423a62.jpg

Message 16 of 162
Teacher

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

The apps also slow down the TV.  I posted last week (here and on Facebook) when I found the first 2 channels.  One tech told me the apps will only be on for 10 days.  Yeah....

Honestly, not right.  For the past 3 years I have always been able to hide anything (which was a positive over TWC).

I will cancel my service soon if this does not change. 

Message 17 of 162
Expert

razzzy wrote:

The apps also slow down the TV.  I posted last week (here and on Facebook) when I found the first 2 channels.  One tech told me the apps will only be on for 10 days.  Yeah....

Honestly, not right.  For the past 3 years I have always been able to hide anything (which was a positive over TWC).

I will cancel my service soon if this does not change. 

Oh, really?  Since when?

Message 18 of 162
Teacher

When going past those certain channels, there is a pause when going between stations (sometimes even lags).   It's just funny how nobody knows what is going on at U-verse.  I have HD and all these channels are showing up in the non-HD area.

Message 19 of 162
Mentor

Apparenty AT&T knows these channels are crap, sure to be turned off by vast numbers of their customers as soon as they can figure out how, which is why AT&T disabled the ability to hide them.

In other words, AT&T has apparently disabled the ability to hide these channels because they know that everybody who knew how to hide them would do just that. But they want to impose this crap on us anyway, even against our express wishes.

If this is not a case-study example of bad customer service, I do not know what is.

Congratulations, AT&T! You have really distinguished yourselves here.

Message 20 of 162
Expert

These are paid ads, which lower the cost of our service; so I'll just continue to use my Favorites list, or ignore them while surfing.  I'm not being forced to watch them, since I have to hit OK to do that.

But something is different about these from past Ad Partners, like the Barbie Channel (and cars, motorcycles); they can be hidden (still).

Message 21 of 162
Mentor

spd2demun wrote:

These are paid ads, which lower the cost of our service; so I'll just continue to use my Favorites list, or ignore them while surfing.  I'm not being forced to watch them, since I have to hit OK to do that.

But something is different about these from past Ad Partners, like the Barbie Channel (and cars, motorcycles); they can be hidden (still).

Oh really? Have you received a rebate or a reduction in your monthly rates in connection with this? Because I certainly haven't.

Once again we see one of the "community leaders" shilling for AT&T.

Hmmmm.

Message 22 of 162
Expert

Looks like someone else is going to have a new set of steak knives before Christmas.  Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 162
Teacher

Mr. Texas,

How do you explain to customers that inquire about the ability not to hid these channels?  Responses I got:

1) I don't know what you are talking about

2) They are part of the free preview of Package 450

3) The apps will only last 10 days.

4) Thanks for the feedback , we don't have any info but we'll pass your request on to the U-verse team

5) We are just in technical support and do not know this answer you will have to call customer service

6) Well look at that...never seen that before.

I wish the rep would just say that we are no longer allowing you to hide channels and we know the situation.

Message 24 of 162
ACE - Master

MojoMan_1 wrote:
Oh really? Have you received a rebate or a reduction in your monthly rates in connection with this? Because I certainly haven't.

Hmmmm.

Maybe, just maybe, those annoying ads ARE keeping costs down.  Just because someone didn't inform you, me or anyone else doesn't mean it didn't make good business sense.

Annoying?  Perhaps but like spd says, just ignore the darn things.  They are not unlike those annoying popups on certain websites.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 162
Teacher

Then at least make them in HD....

Message 26 of 162
ACE - Master

razzzy wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 162
Expert

razzzy wrote:

LOL.  I guess that's the problem.  You don't want to see the apps because they are in SD.  If they were in HD, you would use the apps.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 162
Expert

skeeterintexas wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, those annoying ads ARE keeping costs down.  Just because someone didn't inform you, me or anyone else doesn't mean it didn't make good business sense.

Annoying?  Perhaps but like spd says, just ignore the darn things.  They are not unlike those annoying popups on certain websites.

They are actually much less annoying than the popups on some websites.  You may not be able to avoid seeing some popups no matter what you do.  Viewing the content of the apps, on the hand, can be avoided.  Even if you tune to the channel containing an app, it take deliberate effort to view the app.  You have to press "OK" to enter the app, and then navigate through a menu to see the content.  It would be hard to view an app by accident or unintentionally.  Not so with some popups on the web.

Message 29 of 162
Expert

LOL, no, I'm not shilling...I just bashed them yesterday for another issue. Smiley Wink  And I'm just stating fact, these channels and the shopping channels subsidize the overall cost of the service.

I treat these like I do ALL COMMERCIALS, I turn them off/surf/do not watch.  I hate ads/commercials of any kind and feel they are unnecessary.  I spend most of my time on Premium channels for that reason. Smiley Wink

The quickest way to send a message to ATT that we are unhappy about these is to NOT hit OK and watch.  And for sure don't use the email in them to order or subscribe to something.  If no activity, then they'll get the message, IMO. Smiley Wink

MojoMan_1 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

Hmmmm.

Message 30 of 162
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support