Helpful Links

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Mentor

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
Message 1 of 162
Tutor

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

I have the same question and just put it to technical support online.  No chat window so I'm waiting for a reply on how to hide  those apps.

Message 2 of 162
Tutor

Mojo, you are not alone.

As of right now, there are 6 apps on my lineup that cannot be removed:

Ch. 88, an ad for WE's My Fair Wedding program.

Ch. 89, a serialized infomercial for Degree Men DEODORANT. Yes, a DEODORANT ad.

Ch. 98, the annual Christmas crap.

Ch. 423, Home Shopping Network's HSN Shop by Remote.

Ch. 621, ESPN's Full Court Multiview.

Ch. 4500, an exact duplicate of Ch. 621.

I wonder how many more will be there tomorrow.

Tonight, 11-23-11, I called the useless employees at 800-ATT-2020. One had no idea what was going on and after rebooting my TVs with no change, a procedure I told him would do no good as the app channels are red checked, he eventually transferred me to the specialized tech department.

First of all, this "tech" had no idea what I was talking about. The only specialized thing about this department was being able to tell me that the apps could not be removed, that they were part of "AT&T's ongoing technology" and that there was no one to contact about the situation - no phone number - no email address - nothing. "There's nothing that can be done." 

Even after seeing on her own office TV that the apps could not be removed, she kept insisting that I should try removing them with my "Favorites" selection. I had to explain to her three times that the "Favorites" only show you what the customer has selected, and that if you surf channel to channel the apps channels will still appear. I explained as well that if you click the "Guide" button, the apps also appear along with the favorites that were selected by the customer. THREE times I explained this to her and she still didn't get it. She then reverted back to the "there's nothing we can do" spiel. I gave up and wished her a good Thanksgiving.

I then emailed the WE Channel, Degree deodorant, the Home Shopping Network and ESPN. I told them of the situation and complained that I was being forced to be exposed to junk I care nothing about, as I did to the AT&T employees. It's obvious AT&T is getting beaucoups of cash to cement these retail apps onto their channel lineups. I suggest everyone else who dislikes these forced channels contact AT&T at 800-ATT-2020 as well as the companies who are advertising and airing on the apps.       

Message 3 of 162
Expert

Cap'n Ned wrote:.

I then emailed the WE Channel, Degree deodorant, the Home Shopping Network and ESPN. I told them of the situation and complained that I was being forced to be exposed to junk I care nothing about, as I did to the AT&T employees. It's obvious AT&T is getting beaucoups of cash to cement these retail apps onto their channel lineups. I suggest everyone else who dislikes these forced channels contact AT&T at 800-ATT-2020 as well as the companies who are advertising and airing on the apps.       

I understand that you cannot hide these channel, but I am confused as to how you are being forced to watch these channels.  I have a lot of channels not hidden in my Guide that I never watch or even tune to.

Message 4 of 162
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

Cap'n Ned wrote:.

I understand that you cannot hide these channel, but I am confused as to how you are being forced to watch these channels.  I have a lot of channels not hidden in my Guide that I never watch or even tune to.

A better point of confusion than the one you mentioned is why these channels cannot be hidden. Does AT&T want to try and force us to periodically trudge through them? If so, that is really aggravating.

We want to be able to hide this crap. And it is crap.

Your answer is the same one that spammers like to give about why it is OK for them to send you spam. If you don't like it, you don't have to look at it. Just delete it and move on.

I cannot help wondering why would you be offering this kind suggestion, unless it is because you are a paid shill for AT&T. You sure do post around here a lot. Does AT&T compensate you in any way? If you do not give a straightforward answer back to the negative, I will take that as a confirmation that they do.

This needs to be fixed. When I first posted this thread, I had not seen anything else on this, and I thought it might just be an error of some sort. But your reply is now making me think that this may well have been done on purpose.

AT&T - Please fix this by enabling the option that allows us to hide these annoying channels.

Message 5 of 162
Expert

MojoMan_1 wrote:

I cannot help wondering why would you be offering this kind suggestion, unless it is because you are a paid shill for AT&T. You sure do post around here a lot. Does AT&T compensate you in any way? If you do not give a straightforward answer back to the negative, I will take that as a confirmation that they do.

Oh, haven't you heard about the set of steak knives that we receive every time someone accuses us of being an AT&T employee or being compensated by AT&T.  Thanks, you just help me come closer to earning another set!  They make wonderful Christmas gifts.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 162
Expert

Enjoy, TG! Smiley Very Happy  How many sets is this?  I've lost count.

Message 7 of 162
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

MojoMan_1 wrote:

Oh, haven't you heard about the set of steak knives that we receive every time someone accuses us of being an AT&T employee or being compensated by AT&T.  Thanks, you just help me come closer to earning another set!  They make wonderful Christmas gifts.  Smiley Wink

Since you answered evasvely, as I thought you might, I will take that as a confirmation that you are paid by AT&T.

And I will evaluate your posts through that lense from now on.

Message 8 of 162
Expert

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Enjoy, TG! Smiley Very Happy  How many sets is this?  I've lost count. 

When I got up to 50 sets, I stopped counting!    I think I hold the record on the forum.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 162
Expert

MojoMan_1 wrote:

Since you answered evasvely, as I thought you might, I will take that as a confirmation that you are paid by AT&T.

This is still a free country, do as you see fit.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 162
Expert

MojoMan_1 wrote:

None of the Community Leaders works for AT&T (with one exception: Escapee).  All AT&T employees are required by company policy to identify themselves as such in their signature to their posts.

TexasGuy (and myself, and all other community leaders except Escapee) are all U-Verse customers, but do not work for AT&T.

Message 11 of 162
Professor

You would think that AT&T would remove the "Community leader" line from the status, since it is obviously confusing people.

I mean, I can't put "battagalia1222" as my username because "ATT" is banned from usernames, but we have to explain that "Community Leaders" don't actually operate the forum.

Anyway, this does stink, but hopefully it'll help keep the bills down. If anything, at least the 2 basketball channels and the Satan... Errrrr Santa tracker are temp channels for sure.
Message 12 of 162
Expert

Trying to keep track of them in this post; anyone can post new ones there that they find.

What do the Basketball/Full Court ones do?  I asked in the above link, but no replies yet.

Message 13 of 162

As predicted two weeks ago, unless there is a sustained, significant negative reaction (as in - call AT*T) to this decision by AT*T to litter the program guide with crap, it will only get worse.

This is the TV equivalent of junk phone calls and spam email. It is the TV equivalent of ads in the middle of web pages or iPhone apps. The difference is that I am paying a premium price for the service and for that money, I should have the right to skip over what I don't want to see, particularly when the "hide channel" feature was a competitive selling point when I bought the service.

As always, I look at the competitive landscape to see if this relative minor issue tilts the playing field to someone else. Increasingly, Time Warner has now achieved parity with AT*T with total home DVR, 4 recordings and the same commitment to HD. If AT*T continues to abuse its customers, increasing prices while offering less content (NHL fan here), filling the guide with crap, mandatory "upgrades" that make people tear their hair out in frustration and uncaring, untrained technical staff, they are going to start bleeding customers along the lines of what happened to Netflix earlier this year.

Message 14 of 162
Contributor

We're in the same boat, MojoMan1. It's bad enough when a dozen soccer channels appear overnight at the high end of the line up, which takes several minutes to scroll thru to delete them, but now all these stupid Apps have popped up without a way to delete them! My hubby is ready to cancel the account over this.

I don't understand the corporate mindset that thinks this is a good thing. If I walked into a department store and a salesman followed me around shouting "Buy Levi's", I'd leave as quickly as possible after complaining to the manager, then tell anyone who'd listen to never set foot into that store!

Truly stupid!

Message 15 of 162
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support