How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Mentor

How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
Message 1 of 162
Teacher

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

Ugh... I had typed those steps as a plain text list. The forum software compressed it down to a big paragraph.

Edit: Nevermind this post.  After realizing that I'm able to edit posts, I reformatted my list above.

Message 136 of 162
Highlighted
Scholar

I'm not sure if all of that is really necessary. The previously non-hideable channels are, for the most part, hideable again. The exceptions seem to be labeled "Application on Demand".

Whether this is the result of a policy change or, as the thread would indicate, merely a bug fix will probably remain a state secret, but I thank AT*T for doing the right thing here.

Message 137 of 162
ACE - Master

Looking thru the help menu on the STB I discovered instructions on how to hide the app channels using parental controls but did not attempt the procedure.  Not that big of a deal for me.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 138 of 162
Mentor

marcindublin wrote:

I'm not sure if all of that is really necessary. The previously non-hideable channels are, for the most part, hideable again. The exceptions seem to be labeled "Application on Demand".

Whether this is the result of a policy change or, as the thread would indicate, merely a bug fix will probably remain a state secret, but I thank AT*T for doing the right thing here.

The "Application on Demand" channels are the focus of the controversy here. These channels are commonly referred to as "App" channels, or "Apps" for short. These are the only channels that have been at issue here in this thread. So the fact that they still cannot be hidden means that nothing has been fixed here at all.
And to the poster immediately previous, I just tried hiding these channels through the parental blocking features, but the subject "App" channels are specifically excluded from being hidden this way.
The management of AT&T U-verse appear to have done this intentionally. Of course the {word filter evasion} that are responsible for this will not even come out of hiding and take responsibility for their actions, even just to provide an explanation of what their intentions are here. If they felt comfortable and confident about their actions here, they would not feel the need to hide or be so evasive about this. But clearly they do not feel comfortable about their conduct here in that way. 
Message 139 of 162
Tutor

Based on what "Mixedupfiles" wrote, I was successful in hiding the "app" channels. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1. Scroll through your normal channels, and write down the numbers of the channels you wish to hide.
  2. Disconnect the power cord at either the back of the Set-Top-Box (STB) or at the normal wall plug.
  3. After waiting about 30 seconds, restore power to the unit.
  4. Have the remote in your hand and be ready to push the menu button as soon as the picture and sound return following “boot up”.
  5. After pushing “menu”, use the left-right buttons to scroll all the way to the right and highlight “Options”.
  6. Press the "OK" button to bring up the sub-menu, where “Channel Options” will already be highlighted.
  7. Press “OK” again and scroll down to the “Hide Channels” options and press “OK” again.
  8. Use the appropriate buttons to scroll to the channels you wish to hide, and push the OK button to “uncheck” them. You will notice that “No Info Available” will be displayed by the channels during this process.
  9. After deselecting all the channels you want hidden, use the left cursor button to move to the menu options and scroll up to highlight “Save”.
  10. Press the “OK” button to save your selections.
  11. Press the “Back” or “Exit To TV” button to return to normal viewing.
  12. The “app channels” will remain hidden until u-Verse forces another round of channels and apps to your receiver.
Message 140 of 162
Expert

I tried this over the weekend myself, and while it seems to work on the DVR, I could never get it to work on a non-DVR unit. The guide seems to be already loaded with the channel information (and therefore the "hide channels" checkboxes are grayed-out) when the picture and audio come in.
Message 141 of 162
Tutor

When I did this today, it was on a "non dvr" receiver. Specifically it was a Cisco IPN330HD. Perhaps you didn't leave it unplugged long enough to "lose" the channel guide information. I did unplug mine from the back of the receiver/STB.

Message 142 of 162
Teacher

Thanks for expanding on my findings, Ferrofab. I never had a chance to try it on my non-DVR STB, but I'll give it a shot on that one later this week.
Message 143 of 162
Mentor

I have tried this several times now and it does not work on my TV.

Message 144 of 162
Explorer

I sooo wanted this trick to work. My DVR re-boots to No info available at the bottom, but every single time by the time I get to the Hide Channels all the info is there. Tried seven times, not going to try it again for fear of causing issues with the DVR saves. Thanks again for giving a bit of hope though. Smiley Happy
Message 145 of 162
Mentor

It appears that the two ESPN multiview "Apps" have been removed from the channel line up.

Now the only two unhideable "App" channels that I can see 423 and 1423, both related to the shopping network.

So, all that is left are the AT&T spam channels.

Message 146 of 162
Expert

It's been stated before that the Shopping Channels help keep costs down for subscribers (they pay), so no complaints here.

Now, can we say that everyone is HAPPY again?  The channels are gone, which means ATT listened.

Message 147 of 162
Mentor

spd2demun wrote:

It's been stated before that the Shopping Channels help keep costs down for subscribers (they pay), so no complaints here.

Now, can we say that everyone is HAPPY again?  The channels are gone, which means ATT listened.

No.

First of all, all of the offending channels are not "gone". The two shopping channels remain.

However, as you know quite well, the issue has never been the removal of these channels from the line-up, only the ability to hide them using the "Hide Channels" feature. By all means, AT&T should have as many shopping channels as it wants. Just give those of us who want to hide them permission to do so.

Since these two channels still cannot be hidden, the point of offense and annoyance remains.

Message 148 of 162
Expert

Smiley Surprised

Message 149 of 162
Expert

Alrighty, then!  Carry on. Smiley Frustrated

Message 150 of 162
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support