Ask a question

Highlighted
    Posted Aug 17, 2013
    3:00:09 PM
    View profile
    How do I wire a new phone jack on an existing uverse system with only phone service?
    Edited by jst4800 on Aug 17, 2013 at 3:30:23 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to wire a phone jack in a roomthat didn't have one , and I'm not sure where to wire to on the NID?

also I'm using the cat 3 wire and not sure how to wire the jack which is the standard 4 color wire jack with the cat 3 wires? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated as thisdis for my father in law who has a medical implant that has to report to a machine that has to wired to a phone jack.

Thanks Jeff

How do I wire a new phone jack on an existing uverse system with only phone service?

[ Edited ]
    4 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (4)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 17, 2013 5:52:24 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    jst4800 - If you have POTS, find the dial tone at the NID, another jack or a connecting block & connect two wires to the center pins on the jack. The center pins are green/red wires. If you have U-verse voice, the dial tone source is the tel jack on the RG & may be distributed from there to the rest of the house in the same way POTS is distributed. Be sure to make connection to the copper in the center of the wires. Google RJ-11 if you want to see pictures.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I wire a new phone jack on an existing uverse system with only phone service?

2 of 5 (413 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 19, 2013 1:36:13 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    forgive my ignorance but what do the terms POTS and RG stand for?
    I have wired to the NIT to the red and green tab that was open similar to the other one in use and still no dial tone. I know It cant be this complicated. I should only have to use 2 wires correct? I'm using the solid orange to red and white and orange to tone.

Re: How do I wire a new phone jack on an existing uverse system with only phone service?

3 of 5 (372 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 19, 2013 3:22:45 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Pots....plain old telephone service
    RG...... Residential Gateway

Now to your question do you have POTS,wired at NID (network interface device) or VOIP (voice over IP) phones
    If VOIP the phone is generated at RG, phone1light on front panel and comes out phone port back of RG.
    If this is your case then one pair of wires comes from NID to RG, which RG by the way?
    The voip needs to feed back to phone distribution point then to new room trying to wire.

Standard wiring color code used for cat 3 or cat 5 in uverse are blue pair...line 1,orange line 2, green data feed to RG, brown for power if needed.
    In older quad wiring red/green equals blue/blue white (line1) while yellow/black equals orange pair line 2.

If have pots service, not voip, then from NID to phone distributions is one pair of wires and a different pair to RG ideally.
    If this was a CSI, customer self install, then everthing is probably same set of wires to phones and RG with DSL filters on phone.
    Again would just need pair 1 (red/green or blue pair (cat3)) to wire to center pins of new jack (red/green)
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 19, 2013 3:28:38 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    jst4800 - POTS is Plain Old Telephone Service. RG is Residential Gateway - the U-verse modem/router. I think NIT Should be NID - The grey box on the side of the house. Connecting two wires is the easy part. Finding which two wires is the hard part. Many different types of wires are deployed & not all installs follow basic standards.

You can find dial tone on a jack by plugging in a phone. On wires you need open wires or clips. Once you find dial tone you want to be sure to connect it to the center prongs on the rj-11 jack. Easy for me to say. Hard for you to do.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (353 Views)