How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

Teacher

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

I like to leave the TV on for my dogs while I'm at work during the day or when I go out of town. When I get home, all the TVs are silent and showing a blue ATT screen. I could turn the screen saver off when I had DishTV. Can someone tell me how to turn off the blue screen with Uverse? Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 80
ACE - Master

Re: How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

There is not a solution and I'm sure that you have been told that in the other thread.  Isn't crossposting taboo?   Lol.  Doubt that there will be a solution.  How about an IR blaster to force a command to the STB?

Again, as user "Mike" stated above, are you seriously considering leaving a TV provider just over a screensaver?  Yes it is bassackward to have the DVR "time out."  I like to have it on for my dog but I understand the limitations.  If I wanted to, I could switch inputs and leave the over the air (OTA) TV on for hours on end but the dog would hate that - no Animal Planet or GSN.

As far as configuring Comcast DVR not to go into standby, my Comcast DVR never went to sleep so not sure what you are implying.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 80
Expert

That's interesting--can someone with the newer model boxes confirm that standby can be DISABLED?

Message 32 of 80
ACE - Expert

clin36 wrote:

hi, I am having serious issue with this 'press ok to watch u-verse TV'

I use a VCR-like device (Panasonic DVD player/recorder with built-in hard disk which can record TV programs) and don't want to use ATT DVR.    Tried DVR, and don't like it for many reasons which I won't elaborate here.

Wiith Comcast (before) was able to request Comcast to configure so my box does not go into standby, so TV signal is always there being fed into my Panasonic.

Now with ATT, last night Panasonic started recording 4 am to 6 am, and today I only got a 2-hour recording full of blue screen and bouncing 'press ok to watch u-verse TV'.   That sucks.

Call ATT Tech Support on phone.  Person told me my box (1225) does that, but higher model STB can be configure to not go into standby.

After that conversation, searched Google and found many posting on ATT forum, but none indicate that there is a solution from ATT.

Also started a online chat with ATT support, and was told there is no way to stop STB from going into standby.

I totally agree with previous postings that the 'energy saver' is bogus.   Always believe reason is ATT trying to save bandwidth.   Under any other circumstances I am all for saving energy and saving bandwidth with I don't need them, but this is the situation where I do need to have my TV signal always there for my Panasonic to record.

If ATT cannot accommodate that then I'll have to go back to Comcast

All you'd have to do is actually manually enter a command on that STB (change channels, etc , not TV vol.) and it would not go into screensaver for 8 hours after that point.  You should be able to make your recordings if you did it just before going to bed. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 80
Teacher

So what if you go out of town for the weekend or go on vacation?
Message 34 of 80
ACE - Expert

Use of some type of device that could change channels every 7 hours.  Possibly some Harmonie remote or other brand could be programmed to automatically send these signals and prevent the screensaver from engaging. Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Message 35 of 80
Tutor

hi dhascall,

yes, I would leave a provider for the the blue screen if I cannot reasonable resolve it

we all faced with different situation, so for you maybe having STB going into blue screen is ok.   For me, I subscribed to TVJAPN, an International channel I pay extra $25 for.  In fact, I get my TV serivce from any providers (Dish, Comcast, ATT) just mainly so that I can watch TVJAPAN.    And I record hours of tvjapan program onto my Panasonic DVR (DVD player/recorder with build in hard drive), so that I can go back and either fast forward through the programs I don't care, or easily divide programs and erase the one I don't want and save the one I want for later viewing.

If ATT DVR would have a better recording user interface and choices, then I might be able to live with it, but it does not.   As I said, I want to record, say from 4 am to 6 am, and when I program it for the first time, on the Panasonic, I get to choose whether I want this recording to be once, weekly, or daily.   ATT DVR can't do that.

on the blue screen press OK to watch TV issue, I thought maybe there is a workaround - maybe if I schedule ATT DVR to record at the same time (period) as my Panasonic DVR recording time, then perhaps my Panasonic would not see just the blue screen.    Alas, that did not seem to work.   On Sat I had programmed ATT DVR to record a program in evening, say starts at 6 pm, and at same time Panasonic was scheduled to record as well but start from 6:30.   Also purposedly did not watch / touch TV and ATT box the whole day so that it would definitely be in the 'standby' mode when the recording time rolls around in the evening.

In evening, 5 min or so before Panasonic recording was to start, turn on TV.   ATT DVR already recording onto DVR, but screen still shows the blue screen and press OK to watch TV.   Then my Panasonic recording starts, and it was recording what I was seeing on the TV screen - the blue screen.

Told wife maybe we can try to live with this standby mode problem by remembering to press the OK button on the ATT remote multiple times during the day, whenever we remember and/or pass nearly the remote, even if our TV is not on and we are not going to watch TV.   Maybe by pressing the OK (before it goes into standby mode), would cause the timer to reset so it would be another full x hours (3 hours? 6 hours? 8 hours?   seems like different # floating around in forum) before the ATT receiver would decide to go into standby mode.    Not sure if that is working or not though.   Wife told me she was watching a 3-hour recording on our Panasonic, and in the middle suddenly it switched to the blue screen, so for the remaining of that recording, there was nothing to watch.

Now hopefully you see where I am coming from and why I am so frustrated with this ATT STB going into standby mode.

You mentioned about your Comcast not going into standby or auto shut-off.    In Comast box menu there is a setting that disables auto shutoff (or standby mode, forgot exactly what it is called), so that is how my Comcast box was configured and it worked fine for my situation.

Message 36 of 80
Tutor

Regarding manually remembering to press keys on remote so STB does not go into standby for another x hours ...    If I am away for the weekend, or out of the country for weeks, then I would end up with recordings full of just the blue screen and dancing 'Press OK to watch U-Verse TV'   :-)

Has anyone posted the actual device (maker and model, etc) - IR blaster, cheap programmable remote control, etc - that will issue channel up/down to the ATT receiver?

thanks

Message 37 of 80
Expert

I read in a post earlier this week that a solution for the blue screen (standby mode) may be rolled out.  It didn't say when but I guess ATT is possibly going to do something about this.  Maybe rollout an option to disable the standby mode.

Message 38 of 80
Teacher

I think the 1216/1225 DVR lifespan is short lived in some cases, cant wait and see how long they last when people start leaving them on longer than 24hrs. Im still waiting for ATT to "roll out" the feature to switch camera angles wherever multi cameras are in use (certain sporting events)
Message 39 of 80
ACE - Expert

WHERESMYTECH wrote:
I think the 1216/1225 DVR lifespan is short lived in some cases, cant wait and see how long they last when people start leaving them on longer than 24hrs. Im still waiting for ATT to "roll out" the feature to switch camera angles wherever multi cameras are in use (certain sporting events)

If they're plugged in, they're on 24 hours/day.  Mine has been on for 3 1/2 years, except during power outages.

One Chicago baseball team (Cubs or White Sox) had multiple camera angles on Uverse already.  Not such a big deal as the director already picked what his best shot was on main feed. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 40 of 80
Tutor

I just changed service from Charter. This "power saver" is still an issue. My dogs love to have the TV and actually tend to go a little nuts once it's silent.

I've contacted support via chat and they said 2 things;

1. This cannot be changed.

2. They will forward to their technical service grou but I should post on the support forum as well.

This was presented to me as a "power saving" option. Does ATT pay our power bill now? Will leaving the TV on cost them more electricty each month.This is not a valid reason for programming this into the firmware. If a more reasonable logic were presented then I might be ok with it.

I'm being difficult on this issue I suppose, but in my opinion the customer should be able set whatever "timeout" they want. Fine, program the default for 8 hours of inactivity to trigger sleep more. Bury the option somewhere where users aren't likely to change the time limit, but let ME change it.

Simple things like this infuriate me for some reason. It's not difficult to make ATT and users happy. Set the default to your preferred time. 99% of users will never change that, but there will be a few that do.

I will continue to make this an issue until it's resolved.

Message 41 of 80
Tutor

I just wanted to clarify that the resolution suggested in this post by the OP is not a resolution. It's strictly workaround.

Going out and spending additional time and money? No thanks. Fix the issue please.

Message 42 of 80
Expert

TheJoshua wrote:

I just wanted to clarify that the resolution suggested in this post by the OP is not a resolution. It's strictly workaround.

Going out and spending additional time and money? No thanks. Fix the issue please.

Don't look for this to change anytime soon, if ever.

Message 43 of 80
Tutor

Would you care to elaborate? Is there a specific reason that this setting is hard coded into the box.

The box we have is an IPN330HD. Is this the case with all Uverse set top boxes? I am looking through the manual now and will really do whatever I can to fix this.

I figured my chat would fall on deaf ears and pretty much lol'ed when the support rep said the issue would be forwarded to technical team.

Who do I need to direct this issue to. Posting on a support forum seems like a rather ineffective way to get a policy reviewed by management.

Thanks.

Message 44 of 80
Expert

TheJoshua wrote:

The box we have is an IPN330HD. Is this the case with all Uverse set top boxes? I am looking through the manual now and will really do whatever I can to fix this.

Yes, all U-verse receivers have this feature, and it can not be disabled.  Don't waste your time trying to find a way to disable the feature.  It will not be time well spent.  Take the suggestions offered earlier in this thread.

Message 45 of 80
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support