Helpful Links

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

Teacher

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

I like to leave the TV on for my dogs while I'm at work during the day or when I go out of town. When I get home, all the TVs are silent and showing a blue ATT screen. I could turn the screen saver off when I had DishTV. Can someone tell me how to turn off the blue screen with Uverse? Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 80
Expert

Re: How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

I like that ota suggestion DH.  If it is a really big deal about leaving a television on for pets for noise or something to watch ota is always available.

Message 16 of 80
Teacher

Believe me, I've thought about a radio, but it just isn't the same. I like having the light dancing around and people talking at night in case someone might be passing by or what ever. It looks and sounds more occupied with at least the TV on. (Cheap security device) We usually leave it on Turner Classic Movies, the old black & white classics. Believe it or not, when UV goes to blue screen in the middle of the night, our cocker spaniel starts to wail. Go figure. Anyway, I'm looking for a remote that will do micros. I've contacted Logitec Tech Suppt and I'm waiting on a real person to respond. Almost seems like I should just wait till my two years are up and go back to Dish .?.?.?

Thanks for all the help.

Message 17 of 80
ACE - Master

TexasCoyotte: I think that either of my suggestions (OTA TV or a DVD player running) would be the best way until (if ever) AT&T shows us how to disarm this unneeded "feature."  That being said, you are serious of switching providers over an 8 hour time-out feature?  Wow.  Good luck. Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 80
Expert

There was a time when the stbs just stayed on.  I had UV before they introduced this energy saving feature.  I don't see them changing it.  But dare to dream.

Message 19 of 80

TexasCoyote wrote:

Believe me, I've thought about a radio, but it just isn't the same. I like having the light dancing around and people talking at night in case someone might be passing by or what ever. It looks and sounds more occupied with at least the TV on. (Cheap security device) We usually leave it on Turner Classic Movies, the old black & white classics. Believe it or not, when UV goes to blue screen in the middle of the night, our cocker spaniel starts to wail. Go figure. Anyway, I'm looking for a remote that will do micros. I've contacted Logitec Tech Suppt and I'm waiting on a real person to respond. Almost seems like I should just wait till my two years are up and go back to Dish .?.?.?

Thanks for all the help.

Is the given TV an HDTV?  (not an HD ready TV, but an HDTV), if so, the TV itself shouldn't have a screensaver mode, so you could always connect an antenna (using the internal ATSC tuner) for the pets and security, then just switch over to U-verse when you want to watch TV

Message 20 of 80
Teacher

Or I could just go back to Dish TV and not have to worry about it???

Message 21 of 80
Expert

That'll show ATT.

Message 22 of 80

TexasCoyote wrote:

Yeah, that's really logical.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 23 of 80

TexasCoyote wrote:

It's up to you what you want to do, but don't you find it a bit much to switch back to Dish just because of a simple screensaver?  The replacement of hardware, the hassle of cancelling U-verse and reordering Dish, the installation, etc., I would find it a lot easier to simply connect and antenna and forget about it, of course if your cocker spaniel has a thing for classic B&W movies on TCM, then maybe there would be a problemSmiley Very Happy

But like I said, it's your choice, if you want/need to switch back to Dish, go for itSmiley Wink

Message 24 of 80
Teacher

Gee Mike,

You sure make it sound difficult to swap out a DVR. Maybe I don't feel that I should have to make special arrangements because ATT doesn't offer me a, oh yea, like you said,  choice!

Message 25 of 80

TexasCoyote wrote:

Gee Mike,

You sure make it sound difficult to swap out a DVR. Maybe I don't feel that I should have to make special arrangements because ATT doesn't offer me a, oh yea, like you said,  choice!

The only issue with that is, it may not be as simple as a DVR swap

Because you switched to U-verse, you don't know the quality/shape of the LNB on your dish, you don't know if it's still pointed properly, and depending on your installation (unless your Coax connections were left untouched), the Coax could be used for HPNA for U-verse, and not connected to the dish at all, therefore you could connect the Dish DVR, and not get any service whatsoever

On top of that, unless you are still subscribed to dish (and just not using the services), and you still have your Dish DVR, you will still need to (re)subscribe to Dish and wait for the DVR to be delivered, and if your dish does need to be repointed, or the LNB does need to be replaced, unless you can do it on your own, you will have to wait for an installer to come out and fix it

As for using an OTA antenna, you can use any old pair of bunny ears (or even a thin piece of wire to stick into the hole of the coax connection on the TV), there is no special HD or Digital antenna, all you would have to do is connect the antenna to the TV's Coax connection, do a scan, and get free HD and Digital local channels in no time (which I think your cocker spaniel should enjoy just fine)

I don't know about you, but I would much rather plug in a simple antenna and do a scan instead of going through the hassle of cancelling a service, then having the previous service reinstalled (and no, it's not as easy as a DVR swap)

But like I said before, it is your choice, and if you think that cancelling U-verse and resubscribing to Dish is more worth it than connecting a simple antenna and doing a scan just so you don't get a screensaver, then go ahead and switch to Dish, none of us really care

Message 26 of 80
Mentor

I think I've read here or somewhere that this is not a power save issue at all, even though it may be advertised as such.  Since Uverse is TV over IP, when the STB is playing a program, it is using bandwidth.  AT&T for whatever reason--to benefit AT&T or to benefit other users--is saving bandwidth by timing out.  It seems shorter than eight hours to me, though.

A few months ago I switched to a radio on a timer instead of a TV on a timer, as someone else here did.  The loss of moving light from the TV screen, though, makes this a less effective security device.  Other ideas here sound worth pursuing.  I guess we've had cable, satellite, and Uverse for so long, we forgot that there is still a broadcast TV option.  My kitchen TV is an old pre-digital CRT TV, so I can't even use the antenna option, so it may be time to replace our last non-HD TV.  Too bad.  Like the last old VW beetle.

Message 27 of 80
Expert

willyb wrote:

A few months ago I switched to a radio on a timer instead of a TV on a timer, as someone else here did.  The loss of moving light from the TV screen, though, makes this a less effective security device.

Check out this device.

Message 28 of 80
Expert

Now if that could fool our pets... Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 80
Tutor

hi, I am having serious issue with this 'press ok to watch u-verse TV'

I use a VCR-like device (Panasonic DVD player/recorder with built-in hard disk which can record TV programs) and don't want to use ATT DVR.    Tried DVR, and don't like it for many reasons which I won't elaborate here.

Wiith Comcast (before) was able to request Comcast to configure so my box does not go into standby, so TV signal is always there being fed into my Panasonic.

Now with ATT, last night Panasonic started recording 4 am to 6 am, and today I only got a 2-hour recording full of blue screen and bouncing 'press ok to watch u-verse TV'.   That sucks.

Call ATT Tech Support on phone.  Person told me my box (1225) does that, but higher model STB can be configure to not go into standby.

After that conversation, searched Google and found many posting on ATT forum, but none indicate that there is a solution from ATT.

Also started a online chat with ATT support, and was told there is no way to stop STB from going into standby.

I totally agree with previous postings that the 'energy saver' is bogus.   Always believe reason is ATT trying to save bandwidth.   Under any other circumstances I am all for saving energy and saving bandwidth with I don't need them, but this is the situation where I do need to have my TV signal always there for my Panasonic to record.

If ATT cannot accommodate that then I'll have to go back to Comcast

Message 30 of 80
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support