Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 25, 2011
3:19:16 PM
How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

I like to leave the TV on for my dogs while I'm at work during the day or when I go out of town. When I get home, all the TVs are silent and showing a blue ATT screen. I could turn the screen saver off when I had DishTV. Can someone tell me how to turn off the blue screen with Uverse? Thanks for the help.

I like to leave the TV on for my dogs while I'm at work during the day or when I go out of town. When I get home, all the TVs are silent and showing a blue ATT screen. I could turn the screen saver off when I had DishTV. Can someone tell me how to turn off the blue screen with Uverse? Thanks for the help.

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

79 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 5:10:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good idea.

Good idea.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

61 of 80 (2,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 5:38:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks.  I guess she won't see it since she wrote a year ago.....hahaha.  I noticed the thread and was curious as to why someone wanted to turn off the blue screen.  I saw that people were still writing so I jumped in.  

I used to be a dog sitter/walker.  You'd be surprised how many people leave the TV on for the dogs.  I sat for a Corgi who was only supposed to watch CNN?????

Linda

Thanks.  I guess she won't see it since she wrote a year ago.....hahaha.  I noticed the thread and was curious as to why someone wanted to turn off the blue screen.  I saw that people were still writing so I jumped in.  

I used to be a dog sitter/walker.  You'd be surprised how many people leave the TV on for the dogs.  I sat for a Corgi who was only supposed to watch CNN?????

Linda

62 of 80 (2,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 5:40:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you read through those posts you will not see that suggestion.

If you read through those posts you will not see that suggestion.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

63 of 80 (2,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 3:35:48 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Jun 1, 2012 at 3:46:33 AM

You are correct about pets needing their TV (while the humans are away). 

Linda661 wrote:

Linda

You are correct about pets needing their TV (while the humans are away). 

Linda661 wrote:

Linda

[ Edited ]
64 of 80 (2,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 6:32:50 AM
(0)
Master

I set mine to OTA if we are going to be gone a day or two works great for the bird all they need is noise and motion. No need to worry about disc or cable/sat interuption it just plays on.

I set mine to OTA if we are going to be gone a day or two works great for the bird all they need is noise and motion. No need to worry about disc or cable/sat interuption it just plays on.

65 of 80 (2,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2012 7:16:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
I don't necessary give two turds about the box going into standby mode; in fact, I prefer that it does, but whatever. What I really want is for the stupid thing to stop feeding video to my television after it does this, or before the STB has officially been turned on.. There are times when someone in the house will turn on the TV, with intention to watch it, but then gets distracted, and goes off to do something else for hours, while the TV sits and burns up energy, because the ridiculous decision someone made to have this system constantly streaming video out prevents my TV from using its auto-off feature. I want the ability to decide, for myself, if I want video coming out of that box or not; I don't want this decision made for me! I get the idea of it going into standby (if it can really be called that), to conserve bandwidth, but what about actually saving power too? Surely, this box could save SOME amount of energy (probably a considerable amount) by halting video feed once it's "turned off" or put into standby. I also wish the recorded programs wouldn't loop themselves over and over. There also times I'm watching a recorded show in the evening, or in bed, and I fall asleep, and this thing will just repeat itself over and over, as if people actually watch shows multiple times in a row. Who in the world made these stupid decisions for these things to have no settings at all, and why has it been such a wide-spread issue for years? I'm seriously considering dumping UVerse as well, just on the simple premise that I would like to be able to take advantage of saving a few bucks on my energy bill, while simultaneously conserving power in general, and that should be my decision, and mine alone, not someone else's.
I don't necessary give two turds about the box going into standby mode; in fact, I prefer that it does, but whatever. What I really want is for the stupid thing to stop feeding video to my television after it does this, or before the STB has officially been turned on.. There are times when someone in the house will turn on the TV, with intention to watch it, but then gets distracted, and goes off to do something else for hours, while the TV sits and burns up energy, because the ridiculous decision someone made to have this system constantly streaming video out prevents my TV from using its auto-off feature. I want the ability to decide, for myself, if I want video coming out of that box or not; I don't want this decision made for me! I get the idea of it going into standby (if it can really be called that), to conserve bandwidth, but what about actually saving power too? Surely, this box could save SOME amount of energy (probably a considerable amount) by halting video feed once it's "turned off" or put into standby. I also wish the recorded programs wouldn't loop themselves over and over. There also times I'm watching a recorded show in the evening, or in bed, and I fall asleep, and this thing will just repeat itself over and over, as if people actually watch shows multiple times in a row. Who in the world made these stupid decisions for these things to have no settings at all, and why has it been such a wide-spread issue for years? I'm seriously considering dumping UVerse as well, just on the simple premise that I would like to be able to take advantage of saving a few bucks on my energy bill, while simultaneously conserving power in general, and that should be my decision, and mine alone, not someone else's.

66 of 80 (2,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2012 7:25:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Also, I'm not going to just throw my hands up in surrendrance, just because there is no self-fix fix for it, because I guarantee you there IS a fix for it, but AT&T just won't give it to us. NOTHING ever got fixed because someone just accepted it the way it was, and I'm not going to follow along. If AT&T wants my money, then I want them to hear me (and others) when I say I want options, or I'll send my money to someone who can give me options, and trust me, there are PLENTY of companies that provide options.
Also, I'm not going to just throw my hands up in surrendrance, just because there is no self-fix fix for it, because I guarantee you there IS a fix for it, but AT&T just won't give it to us. NOTHING ever got fixed because someone just accepted it the way it was, and I'm not going to follow along. If AT&T wants my money, then I want them to hear me (and others) when I say I want options, or I'll send my money to someone who can give me options, and trust me, there are PLENTY of companies that provide options.

67 of 80 (2,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2012 8:06:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Good luck with whoever you end up with.
Good luck with whoever you end up with.

68 of 80 (2,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2012 8:38:17 PM
(0)
Expert

DishTV (forced to use at friend's house) has a screen with words all over it when you turn it on.  Plus lots of lost signal screens when changing channels or just watching TV!  That would drive me nuts to live with that.  TV is to be left on for the pets, but every morning I get there, TV is on, but with a screen to press OK or something to turn it on.

JasonAsher wrote:

DishTV (forced to use at friend's house) has a screen with words all over it when you turn it on.  Plus lots of lost signal screens when changing channels or just watching TV!  That would drive me nuts to live with that.  TV is to be left on for the pets, but every morning I get there, TV is on, but with a screen to press OK or something to turn it on.

JasonAsher wrote:

69 of 80 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2012 7:34:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
The blue screen ( & shutoff timer) is good or innocuous for the majority of customers, but a real problem for a lot of customers. How do you make both groups happy ? - options - let the customer select the operation they prefer.

The problem is there is no business driver to go from plain vanilla - one size fits all - to a premier customer tuned product.

Technically. it is straightforward. All it needs is funding. Budget wise it is not possible.

The current rage is apps to provide customers with the customization they desire at a minimum cost to fund the software build.

At&t could work towards becoming a premier provider by building low cost apps to provide options to customers for many functions, such as the blue screen problem. Other possibilities that come to mind are easily accessible custom guide, easily accessible Closed Caption, include CID in e-mail call notification, etc. etc.

The project could even have a catchy title - maybe something like - Rethink Possible.
The blue screen ( & shutoff timer) is good or innocuous for the majority of customers, but a real problem for a lot of customers. How do you make both groups happy ? - options - let the customer select the operation they prefer.

The problem is there is no business driver to go from plain vanilla - one size fits all - to a premier customer tuned product.

Technically. it is straightforward. All it needs is funding. Budget wise it is not possible.

The current rage is apps to provide customers with the customization they desire at a minimum cost to fund the software build.

At&t could work towards becoming a premier provider by building low cost apps to provide options to customers for many functions, such as the blue screen problem. Other possibilities that come to mind are easily accessible custom guide, easily accessible Closed Caption, include CID in e-mail call notification, etc. etc.

The project could even have a catchy title - maybe something like - Rethink Possible.

70 of 80 (2,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2012 12:37:04 PM
(0)
Expert

See my earlier post, here

They're aware people are unhappy and looking at options. Smiley Wink

See my earlier post, here

They're aware people are unhappy and looking at options. Smiley Wink

71 of 80 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 11:53:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by gishnetwork on Oct 6, 2012 at 11:53:37 AM

Ace, In what way can it be *good* for many customers as you suggest? It does not lower their bill, does not save their screen, does not do anything that can improve their experience.

Maybe, you just simply meant "innocuous". But good? Please elaborate on why your brain made you type that.

Thanks.

Ace, In what way can it be *good* for many customers as you suggest? It does not lower their bill, does not save their screen, does not do anything that can improve their experience.

Maybe, you just simply meant "innocuous". But good? Please elaborate on why your brain made you type that.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
72 of 80 (2,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 12:06:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
gishnetwork - Not everyone always gets to have the TV and STB go on at the same time. Since the power button always sends a power toggle to both the TV and the STB there would be an endless cycle one on and the other off. The OK/screen breaks the cycle by displaying the status and presenting a method for turning on the STB without turning off the TV.

This is good. very good.
gishnetwork - Not everyone always gets to have the TV and STB go on at the same time. Since the power button always sends a power toggle to both the TV and the STB there would be an endless cycle one on and the other off. The OK/screen breaks the cycle by displaying the status and presenting a method for turning on the STB without turning off the TV.

This is good. very good.

73 of 80 (2,077 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 7:48:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gishnetwork wrote:

Thanks.

It can also be good by freeing up a stream that would otherwise be in use when, perhaps, no one is watching it.  This stream could be used by other TV's, or perhaps for Internet access.

gishnetwork wrote:

Thanks.

It can also be good by freeing up a stream that would otherwise be in use when, perhaps, no one is watching it.  This stream could be used by other TV's, or perhaps for Internet access.

74 of 80 (2,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:35:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Really not an appropriate reply at all.

"It is what it is" could be used to refer to the weather, but not to a boneheaded business decision by ATT.

It has already been discussed how this is clearly not an energy-saving issue but instead is a network bandwidth issue. To call it otherwise (absent compelling proof) is disingenuous at best and shows little regard for customers.

Essentially: ATT, rather than supply sufficient bandwidth to accomodate all of its customers within a geographical region, has opted to shift the burden to its customers by limiting their enjoyment of the service.

Sure, you can focus on why somebody might leave their TV on for 8+ hours without interaction, but that's really not the point is it? When we pay for this unmetered service we expect to be able to use it uninterrupted and should not have to justify the reason that we want to leave it on for 8+ hours without interacting with the service.

Nonetheless here are some possible reasons:

1. leaving live TV on for pets for 8+ hours
  2. using a TV timer (my TV has this feature) to turn the TV on/off at various times during the day & at night when traveling
  3. listening to music while you're working at home / in the yard / etc

The excuses from ATT remind me a great deal of the nonsense from Comcast when they started interfering with data traffic. Unfortunately ATT & Comcast are my best available options for now. When a customer-focused service becomes available I will gladly move to it - even if it is at a higher cost.

-

Really not an appropriate reply at all.

"It is what it is" could be used to refer to the weather, but not to a boneheaded business decision by ATT.

It has already been discussed how this is clearly not an energy-saving issue but instead is a network bandwidth issue. To call it otherwise (absent compelling proof) is disingenuous at best and shows little regard for customers.

Essentially: ATT, rather than supply sufficient bandwidth to accomodate all of its customers within a geographical region, has opted to shift the burden to its customers by limiting their enjoyment of the service.

Sure, you can focus on why somebody might leave their TV on for 8+ hours without interaction, but that's really not the point is it? When we pay for this unmetered service we expect to be able to use it uninterrupted and should not have to justify the reason that we want to leave it on for 8+ hours without interacting with the service.

Nonetheless here are some possible reasons:

1. leaving live TV on for pets for 8+ hours
  2. using a TV timer (my TV has this feature) to turn the TV on/off at various times during the day & at night when traveling
  3. listening to music while you're working at home / in the yard / etc

The excuses from ATT remind me a great deal of the nonsense from Comcast when they started interfering with data traffic. Unfortunately ATT & Comcast are my best available options for now. When a customer-focused service becomes available I will gladly move to it - even if it is at a higher cost.

-

75 of 80 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:41:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
You can turn the sleep feature OFF on XBOX / XBOX360. I also have that option on my TV.

Uverse is the only service I have which doesn't provide an option. In the early days of the internet this was also commonplace until more ISPs entered the market.
You can turn the sleep feature OFF on XBOX / XBOX360. I also have that option on my TV.

Uverse is the only service I have which doesn't provide an option. In the early days of the internet this was also commonplace until more ISPs entered the market.

76 of 80 (1,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 9:26:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have a cat and would like to do the same thing.  When I leave for the weekend, I liked leaving on the TV for him.  It's more stimulating than a radio. 

It would be a simple software update to allow for the tv to not blue screen.  The tv seems to blue screen after about three hours of no activity. 

Seems like a cheap way to save on bandwidth not allowing you to make the change.

I have a cat and would like to do the same thing.  When I leave for the weekend, I liked leaving on the TV for him.  It's more stimulating than a radio. 

It would be a simple software update to allow for the tv to not blue screen.  The tv seems to blue screen after about three hours of no activity. 

Seems like a cheap way to save on bandwidth not allowing you to make the change.

77 of 80 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 7:59:56 AM
(0)
Voyager

Razorback. I had the exact same problem...my cats prefer to watch the Weather channel while I'm at work. I went through all of the settings and forums but could not find a solution. I discovered, by accident, how to fix this. Go get one of those 24 hour timers. Set it to turn off every 6 hours then back on. (My timer is in 15 minute increments) so I run for 6 hours then off for 15 minutes. Only connect it to the u-verse box. I've been running this for 2 weeks and it works. The box turns on, goes through its boot-up then resumes to the last channel. Give it a try.

Razorback. I had the exact same problem...my cats prefer to watch the Weather channel while I'm at work. I went through all of the settings and forums but could not find a solution. I discovered, by accident, how to fix this. Go get one of those 24 hour timers. Set it to turn off every 6 hours then back on. (My timer is in 15 minute increments) so I run for 6 hours then off for 15 minutes. Only connect it to the u-verse box. I've been running this for 2 weeks and it works. The box turns on, goes through its boot-up then resumes to the last channel. Give it a try.

78 of 80 (782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:15:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

straycat721 wrote:

Very interesting!  Thanks.  It would be an easier fix if AT&T allowed the Remote Control on the Android or iPhone app to work outside the home - you could do a simple channel up/down or last and the box would stay alive for another 8 hours.

straycat721 wrote:

Very interesting!  Thanks.  It would be an easier fix if AT&T allowed the Remote Control on the Android or iPhone app to work outside the home - you could do a simple channel up/down or last and the box would stay alive for another 8 hours.

79 of 80 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2015 5:21:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just left TWC and had no problem with a screensaver.  I wouldn't have switched if I had known. I switched because of the wireless DVR box which I really don't need but thought it would be handy JUST IN CASE since I was moving to a new house and didn't know where the cable outlets would be.  TWC is looking better and better.  now I have to wait 12 months.  Not a happy customer and I just signed up.  Not a good way to get started.

I just left TWC and had no problem with a screensaver.  I wouldn't have switched if I had known. I switched because of the wireless DVR box which I really don't need but thought it would be handy JUST IN CASE since I was moving to a new house and didn't know where the cable outlets would be.  TWC is looking better and better.  now I have to wait 12 months.  Not a happy customer and I just signed up.  Not a good way to get started.

80 of 80 (226 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments