Helpful Links

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

Teacher

How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

I like to leave the TV on for my dogs while I'm at work during the day or when I go out of town. When I get home, all the TVs are silent and showing a blue ATT screen. I could turn the screen saver off when I had DishTV. Can someone tell me how to turn off the blue screen with Uverse? Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 80
ACE - Master

Re: How do I turn off the blue stand by screen

TheJoshua wrote:

I just wanted to clarify that the resolution suggested in this post by the OP is not a resolution. It's strictly workaround.

Going out and spending additional time and money? No thanks. Fix the issue please.

It is what it is.  Smiley Indifferent

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 46 of 80

Can't you solve this problem for $50 by hooking up a DVD player and setting it to automatically repeat - unless the dogs are smart enough that they would get bored watching the same thing over and over again...

Message 47 of 80
Tutor

marcindublin wrote:

Can't you solve this problem for $50 by hooking up a DVD player and setting it to automatically repeat - unless the dogs are smart enough that they would get bored watching the same thing over and over again...

Again, we are back to spending money to "fix" the issue. I'd like to know who my inquiry should be directed to.

I am a little curious as to the long time posters or community leaders that are quick to give up and basically suggest throwing in the towel. Have you been beaten down by the ATT Overlords over time?

You're suggestions are probably spot on, but obstinance is one of my endearing qualities.

Message 48 of 80
Expert

TheJoshua wrote:

Again, we are back to spending money to "fix" the issue. I'd like to know who my inquiry should be directed to.

I am a little curious as to the long time posters or community leaders that are quick to give up and basically suggest throwing in the towel. Have you been beaten down by the ATT Overlords over time?

You're suggestions are probably spot on, but obstinance is one of my endearing qualities.

Endearing?  Smiley Very Happy

Knock yourself out.

Message 49 of 80
Expert

I will say that ATT IS aware of the *problem*.  A couple of recent e-panel surveys were directly focused on this issue.  It asked specifically if we would like an OPTION to bypass the 8-hour shutdown.  It even mentioned for the purpose of keeping pets entertained!

When UV first started up, the boxes did not have a shut-off time.  It was hinted that the new mandatory feature was for Energy Star purposes, though another view was it is actually to conserve bandwidth. 

Hopefully, they will implement the bypass option soon.  Especially for those of us with pets that need entertainment while we're away. Cat Happy

TheJoshua wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Message 50 of 80
Tutor

spd2demun, I appreciate your candor. You know, if it was explained to me as a bandwidth issue I would probably be much more understanding. I've worked in IT for the last 15 years and I don't think the average customer is as stoopid as some of the uppity ups would have you believe (present company excluded of course). Don't explain it as a power issue, just tell me your conserving bandwidth for other customers use. Anything else would be insulting the customer.

Anyway, the ideal solution is to program the firmware to allow users to change the timeout value. If that's not possible the default value being 12 hours would at least afford me the option to come home before my dogs go crazy. I'm not sure what these "e-panel" surveys are that you are referring to, but I'm guessing it's some kind of internal utility?

Maybe this post will help in understanding what's desired by customers even if they're in very small numbers.

Message 51 of 80
Expert

I don't think ATT ever admitted it was a bandwidth issue, one of our regulars figured that out.  ATT is still saying it's Energy Star. Smiley Very Happy

The e-panel surveys are questionnaires sent at random.  I was given that option with my e-mail welcome package back in 2007, so I don't know if they're still doing it or where to sign up.  But at least they are reading here and listening.  Those of us with the service for a long time have seen ATT actually make changes based on customer feedback.

You might try contacting Alex, our Community Manager about the e-panel surveys and see if he can get you signed up.

Alex

TheJoshua wrote:

spd2demun, I appreciate your candor. You know, if it was explained to me as a bandwidth issue I would probably be much more understanding. I've worked in IT for the last 15 years and I don't think the average customer is as stoopid as some of the uppity ups would have you believe (present company excluded of course). Don't explain it as a power issue, just tell me your conserving bandwidth for other customers use. Anything else would be insulting the customer.

Anyway, the ideal solution is to program the firmware to allow users to change the timeout value. If that's not possible the default value being 12 hours would at least afford me the option to come home before my dogs go crazy. I'm not sure what these "e-panel" surveys are that you are referring to, but I'm guessing it's some kind of internal utility?

Maybe this post will help in understanding what's desired by customers even if they're in very small numbers.

Tags (1)
Message 52 of 80
ACE - Expert

It definitely isn't Energy Star since the STB and the DVR use the same amount of power in Standby as they do when on full.

It can conserve bandwidth (i.e. one stream), which can lead to higher satisfaction for users on other TV's and DVR's.  Though for this purpose, 8 hours is woefully long.  I find myself turning of STB's behind my children quite frequently.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 53 of 80
Contributor

For some reason, mine always turns off at the same time whether I have been using it or not. 6:30 am for one, it always turns off in the middle of the morning news even if I just changed the channel. This is extremely annoying.
Message 54 of 80
ACE - Expert

marksewell - If that were happening to me I would be calling for a replacement box.
Message 55 of 80
Scholar

clin36 wrote:

I totally agree with previous postings that the 'energy saver' is bogus.  

My PS3 and Xbox shut themselves off after a few hours of just sitting there too. And my TV and monitor. Must be some big conspiracy, they're in collusion with AT&T for some no-goodery

Obviously I'm joking, but why is it so far out of the realm of possiblilty for power saving to be the reason they shut themselves off after a set amount of time? Its not just AT&T that does it, they're one of MANY manufacturers that does this, device says "uh, no one told me to do anything after a while, guess they forgot to shut me off, better do that for them". I would even go so far as to say thats a requirement for them to program that into the software for the Energy Star sticker they got on there.

Actually, after a quick Google search, I was right. Manual for the Cisco boxes states: 

ENERGY STAR® Notice
Cisco has tested and confi rmed that the IPN330HD, IPN430MC,
and the IPN4320 set-top models meet the Tier 1 Energy Effi ciency
and Power Management Criteria specifi ed in the ENERGY STAR
Program Requirements for Set-top Boxes Version 2.0.

http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/att-series-receiver-install-manual.

Looking up requirements for set top boxes version 2.0, i get this from Energy Star:

Miscellaneous
W. Auto Power Down: The capability to automatically switch from the On state to a Sleep state after
a period of time without user input, generally based on the amount of time the unit has remained
“idle” from last active use, i.e., user input such as channel change, volume change, menu access,
etc

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/product_specs/program_reqs/set_top_boxes_prog_req.pdf

Still think its all shenanigans? People, no big mystery here. It's to get that Energy Star and make the hippies happy, that's it. Anyone think a company that has customers paying them money sits around and says "you know, these people are too happy. We have to find a way to tick them off. I GOT IT!! Lets shut the box off after 6 hours or something that only affects like 0.1% of the customers, that'll get them! They'll be running back to their old provider in no time!"

If you want to get mad at anyone about this, get mad at hippies

Message 56 of 80
Scholar

JefferMC wrote:

It definitely isn't Energy Star since the STB and the DVR use the same amount of power in Standby as they do when on full. 

Got some stats to back that up? When the DVR is in standby, the hard drive isn't spinning, when its on, it is spinning. Theres no power difference there at all?

Message 57 of 80
Employee

fearlessuser wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

Got some stats to back that up? When the DVR is in standby, the hard drive isn't spinning, when its on, it is spinning. Theres no power difference there at all?

Not necessarily true; the DVR maintains a buffer stream for each set-top box to handle the pause / play features on the non-DVR boxes. So, even if the DVR is "off" (standby), the innards are up and running to service any other STBs that are on.

I've put the boxes (both Cisco and Moto) on an Agilent DC power analyzer 6705B and the difference between "on" and "off" is negligible.  However, it is my understanding that all of the DVRs & STBs were tested by third-party organizations  and were certified "Energy Star Compliant."

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 58 of 80
Scholar

"Not necessarily true" and "always true" are 2 different things. I can be sitting around playing my PS3, and I hear the HD spin up a few seconds and then shut off, most likely for some kind of network update, then it shuts off again, as opposed to the Tivo i had a while ago, that drive was spinning 24/7, doesn't matter if you were watching TV or recording or not, it was going all the time. But on the Uverse DVR, before it spins up, the drive is off. After a few seconds, its off again. If no one is watching TV on another box and nothing is recorded, for the most part, the HD is just sitting there.
But my main point in there is in the links i posted. To get the Energy Star rating, that had to be built into the software.
I'd still be curious to see the numbers. Any device on is always going to use more power than when its in standby. Look up the power consumption numbers for any device in an on and standby mode, the standby is always much less
Message 59 of 80
Highlighted
Scholar

If it's just for the dogs, how about unplugging the Uverse and just put the TV on a local station.  The dogs aren't nearly as fussy as people are.

Message 60 of 80
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support