How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

Teacher

How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

I've put in all of the given parameters into Thunderbird but get errors such as "invalid username/password."

Has anyone successfully set up Thunderbird?

Message 1 of 35 (5,210 Views)
Teacher

Re: How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

Hi david_t,

I'm running the latest TB v20.01.  That was my next thought, save the data, uninstall TB then re-install.

Message 16 of 35 (5,015 Views)
Community Support

That's my only thoughts too.You may want to try on a different machine first, just so you don't have to go through all the troubles of backing everything up. If it still has issues on the other machine, there is probably a different issue. When you do instal it thought, just remember to try to send the message out twice, because I had to do that. I don't remember the error I got, but I remember it not sending and I just tried again immediately, and it worked.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 35 (5,015 Views)
Former Employee

Hi,

Here are a few suggestions, please verify the settings on your Thunderbird, I guess you have done it earlier.

Make sure you are typing the complete email in the box for Username (username@att.net)

em1.bmp

Don't choose Require Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)

em2.bmp

The servers will be inbound.att.net for incoming and outbound.att.net for outgoing. (These are applicable if you are setting up a POP3 account for your att email)

The Port numbers will 995 for Incoming and 465 for Outgoing. Both SSL checked.

Once you set up your account using the above settings exit from Thunderbird.

Now go to the link : http://att.my.yahoo.com, hover the mouse on More, select Member Center.

em3.bmp

If you are alredy logged in to your email it will ask you to re-login, otherwise you will be asked to enter your log in information Twice. Yo will land on the Account Information Page of your ATT/Yahoo email.

Minimize the browser, open Thunderbird and try sending a test email to yourself.

If it is not working, Delete the account from Thunderbird and configure it again.

I hope this will help!

Message 18 of 35 (5,015 Views)
Scholar

Hi jvb123,

I appreciate you on patiently trying the steps provided. I see that everyone has provided all the possible steps and still you are unable to send emails.

I am curious to know if you are using Member ID (Primary) account or sub account on Thunderbird. You can try the steps mentioned in the below link if you are using sub account.

Error 553: verify your email address - AT&T Customer Support

Let us know if the steps provided by me or ajmohanty works. You can refer to the below mentioned screenshot to setup outgoing server.

Capture.JPG.jpg

--Sanjoy

Message 19 of 35 (5,015 Views)
Teacher

I'm only using the Primary account and the email platform is the "New Mail" platform of the three used.

ajmohanty - Your suggestion doesn't work either.

I have about 100 folders with about a total of 1000 emails I'm saving.  I'm persistent because I too lazy to do the required housekeeping of deleting no longer necessary emails.

Message 20 of 35 (5,015 Views)
Former Employee

I still have a hope to get it fixed. Is it possible for you to reach our tech support via phone or chat ?

The phone number is 1-800-288-2020 and there is a Live Chat option on the att website.

Go to the link; Chat with AT&T Technical and Service Support - AT&T Customer Support and click on chat with an eAgent.

chat.jpg

Once you reach our tech support, we can access your computer remotely and get it fixed at a maximum time frame of 10 to 15 minutes.

Message 21 of 35 (5,016 Views)
Employee

Hello jvb123, everyone has posted great suggestions on this thread to help you send emails using Thunderbird. I'm sorry the solution has not been reached. I wanted to provide you some information found directly on the Thunderbird support site. The link I provided should take you to Switching from Web-based Email Applications. There are helpful links that lead you to check other settings and try solutions offered by Thunderbird. I have also sent you a direct message to offer you additional assistance to work together in resolving this issue. Smiley Wink

Manual Account Configuration

FAQ Changing IMAP to POP

Thunderbird and Yahoo

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 35 (5,016 Views)
Teacher

I want to thank all of you for your help.

I got busy with higher priority tasks and haven't been able to work on the Thunderbird issue until now. I haven't been stopped [only crippled] because I'm using AT&T web mail in the meantime but the backlog is building up.  I'll be back on working on the solution momentarily.

Message 23 of 35 (5,016 Views)
Employee

Employee Contributor*
Message 24 of 35 (5,016 Views)
Teacher

Chat with an eAgent did not work.  I'll get a telephone call from a support team in about seven hours...

Message 25 of 35 (5,016 Views)
Teacher

Chat with an eAgent did not work.  I'll get a telephone call from a support team in about seven hours...

Message 26 of 35 (5,017 Views)
Teacher

I may have to create a virtual machine and move my existing Thunderbird history to that, deleting Thunderbird from my real machine and continuing with a fresh copy of Thunderbird.  I hate the loss of continuity of several ongoing email conversations.

Let's see what the support team can do before I do something drastic.  I can CC myself on outgoing mail via AT&T web mail and receive it into my present copy of Thunderbird maintaining continuity.  Messy but it will work.  I can always delete the email off the server after I receive it with the present setup.

Message 27 of 35 (5,017 Views)
Community Support

Hi jvb123,

Did the phone call help at all? Also, I was wondering if you had the chance to test on a different computer with a fresh start to see if that works?

Employee Contributor*
Message 28 of 35 (5,017 Views)
Teacher

The phone call came in the evening instead of the morning and I was not around to receive it.  I'm too frustrated to call them back.  My solution is to get my mailboxes/forwarding set up on my three domains at GoDaddy and not use AT&T mail at all.  It seems that there is something blocking the SMTP server authentication and I've spent too much time trying to get it to work. The rumors flying around the internet about the Yahoo/Mozilla battle seem to be true.

With seven computers around me I haven't had the time to set one up with a Thunderbird fresh install and then connect to AT&T.  The probability is too high that restoring my mail/settings folder will cause Thunderbird to stop sending.  It's easier to go elsewhere for my email function and abandon AT&T.

Message 29 of 35 (5,017 Views)
Community Support

I still can't understand why it's not working. It just popped up for me. Thank you for your diligence in trying all the different fixes we tried to implore. I apologize we could not get it working.

Employee Contributor*
Message 30 of 35 (5,017 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.