How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

Teacher

How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

I've put in all of the given parameters into Thunderbird but get errors such as "invalid username/password."

Has anyone successfully set up Thunderbird?

Message 1 of 35 (5,223 Views)
Employee

Re: How do I set up thunderbird to send * receive AT&T email?

jvb123 First log on att.net to verify your password is working.  Also verify if this is your email account associated with your U-verse service.  If everything verify correct you should be able to use the Server Settings for Popular Email Providers document.  If you are having trouble authenticating online please let us know and we can help you find a resolution.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

Rechecking all of my settings, my password and account ID work on att.net and I verified the server names and ports.  I fixed another program (Firetrust MailWasherPro)by using my att.net email address instead of my User ID.  Changing that in Thunderbird now allows me to receive mail but still cannot send mail.  I'm asked for my password when I sent but get an error message  "Login to server outbound.att.net failed." in a small popup box that allows me to "Retry" "Enter new password" or "Cancel."   There was one incident of connected to outbound server but nothing happened except the green activity bar was active.  I cancelled after several minutes.

I just sent a test email to myself, MailWasher picked it up and Thunderbird received it.  The receive path works OK.  Any ideas on sending?

Message 3 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Employee

jvb123 can you tell me what outbound port that you are using.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

The out port is 465 [in is 995]

Message 5 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Community Support

Also, be sure that you do not have SSA checked, the Connection Security is SSL/TLS, and Authentication mode is Normal Password. I believe those are the right settings.

Also, this article might help:

Client Email Stating Wrong User Name or Password

Let us know if you are still getting the error after this.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

I verified all of the items you and the article mentioned, still cannot send. I'm asked for my password when I sent but get an error message  "Login to server outbound.att.net failed." in a small popup box that allows me to "Retry" "Enter new password" or "Cancel." 

I went back to a browser, came back to the email client.  The popup now read "connected to outbound server" but nothing was happening except the green activity bar was active.  I cancelled after several minutes.  I've now witnessed two such incidences.  What next?

Message 7 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Community Support

I tried a simple restore on your email account. Go ahead and try again and let us know if it is working now. If not, we may need to reset the password. It's weird because you are able to receive emails so it is definitely authenticated.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

I keep forgetting to thank you all for your help...

david_t, no change in the situation.  I reset the password and got one enter password (inbound server) popup when I hit get mail and everything proceeded OK.  Sending an email remains the same...enter password, cannot connect,etc.Any other suggestions?

Message 9 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Community Support

I cannot think of anything else because it sounds like you have all the settings, and we have had no reports of any issues. The only thing I can think of is are you trying to setup an account that is not associated with U-verse or a sub-account?

I will send you a private message to go over this more in detail so we do not release any of your personal information.

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 35 (5,080 Views)
ACE - Master

From what I've heard, you need to log into the your main AT&T account and then log out.  Then go to http://my.yahoo.com/ log-in there and check to see if you have mail.  Then try your client app and see if it works.  Something about the AT&TT log-in and Yahoo log in getting corrupted.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

Hi david_t,

I wrote a detailed message through the private messaging system, but I don't

know how to send it back.  My address is XXXXX.  I verified it in the

accounts section of myAT&T.  The problem is intermittent on reads and constant

on writes.Thank you for your help...

Message 12 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Community Support

Hopefully, you saw my message come into your inbox. You can look for it by clicking this link

https://getsocial.att.com/inbox

You should be able to reply back to my message with the information. Unfortunately, I did not get your post because our moderators removed your email address for personal privacy reasons.

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Teacher

I want to thank all of you for your help. I still cannot get into the outbound server.

There are rumors on the web that att.net mail servers are incompatible with Thunderbird with lot's of speculation why it won't be fixed and kept incompatible.

I don't know what my ultimate solution will be.

Message 14 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Community Support

Hi jvb123,

I downloaded the newest version of Thunderbird at my house yesterday and tested it. I was amazed how user friendly it was. All I did was enter my email and password and it did the rest. It did have trouble sending my first created message, but I just hit the button to try again and it went right through.

My suggestion now would be to uninstall Thunderbird. Make sure you backup all your information, as I do not know how the Thunderbird uninstall works. Once you do that, install the latest version of Thunderbird and just let it automatically set everything up.

Employee Contributor*
Message 15 of 35 (5,080 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.