Posted Aug 27, 2013
4:46:27 PM
View profile
How do I get AT&T to fix an installers mistake in a timely fashion.

I recently fixed up my basement including running a discrete Ethernet cable to the location of a new TV. The cable is plugged into the AT&T router and a GB switch where it serves the equipment on the TV. (Smart tv/X Box). I scheduled an install of a new cable box on Monday and the appointment was Tuesday. I specifically requested a wired box and the installer installed a wireless one. I called AT&T and they said I would have to wait 2.5 weeks for them to send someone out to replace the box. How do I get them to send someone out to fix their error?  It should take no time at all to plug in three wires and activate the box. 

I recently fixed up my basement including running a discrete Ethernet cable to the location of a new TV. The cable is plugged into the AT&T router and a GB switch where it serves the equipment on the TV. (Smart tv/X Box). I scheduled an install of a new cable box on Monday and the appointment was Tuesday. I specifically requested a wired box and the installer installed a wireless one. I called AT&T and they said I would have to wait 2.5 weeks for them to send someone out to replace the box. How do I get them to send someone out to fix their error?  It should take no time at all to plug in three wires and activate the box. 

How do I get AT&T to fix an installers mistake in a timely fashion.

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 5:00:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
GC.Collect - You can use the wireless box wired. Unplug the box & the WAP. Connect the box with the Ethernet cable & plug it in.

I am not sure about mixing the smart side of the TV & PS3 with the U-verse video. As I understand it, a leg from the RG should be exclusively TV or "data". Mixing them on the same leg can cause flooding from the video. Maybe your switch is fast enough to handle it. Of course, you can try it. But, if you have a problem you will have a possible cause. I believe you could break out the wires in the one cable & use one pair for TV & another for the switch, If you want to do that google rj-45 wiring to see how to wire the plug.
GC.Collect - You can use the wireless box wired. Unplug the box & the WAP. Connect the box with the Ethernet cable & plug it in.

I am not sure about mixing the smart side of the TV & PS3 with the U-verse video. As I understand it, a leg from the RG should be exclusively TV or "data". Mixing them on the same leg can cause flooding from the video. Maybe your switch is fast enough to handle it. Of course, you can try it. But, if you have a problem you will have a possible cause. I believe you could break out the wires in the one cable & use one pair for TV & another for the switch, If you want to do that google rj-45 wiring to see how to wire the plug.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I get AT&T to fix an installers mistake in a timely fashion.

2 of 4 (291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 7:06:23 PM
(0)
Employee
If i,understand your post correctly,you have one Ethernet cable to an entertainment area in a finished room with no ability to run another.
As the tech understands you cannot mix data, he/she provided a set top box to your new location the best possible way available.
Without wrapping a wire on the outside of your house or stapling a cable to your baseboards.

As previously stated you can use the wireless STB as a wired unit, without the need for a new box to be sent or tech dispatched.

If issues develop you may be thankful for being able to still have tv service on a wireless set top box.
If i,understand your post correctly,you have one Ethernet cable to an entertainment area in a finished room with no ability to run another.
As the tech understands you cannot mix data, he/she provided a set top box to your new location the best possible way available.
Without wrapping a wire on the outside of your house or stapling a cable to your baseboards.

As previously stated you can use the wireless STB as a wired unit, without the need for a new box to be sent or tech dispatched.

If issues develop you may be thankful for being able to still have tv service on a wireless set top box.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:56:21 AM
(0)

When I initially got U-Verse I assumed that TVs had to be plugged directly into the router, but the installer told me that I could use a GB-Ethernet switch if necessary.  He even provided me one for one location.  It has worked just fine.  That is the set up I put on the new TV.  When I called to get AT&T to fix the mistake the tech representative told me that I couldn't just plug a wire into the box.  I will try plugging in a cable and doing a reboot of the whole system.    

When I initially got U-Verse I assumed that TVs had to be plugged directly into the router, but the installer told me that I could use a GB-Ethernet switch if necessary.  He even provided me one for one location.  It has worked just fine.  That is the set up I put on the new TV.  When I called to get AT&T to fix the mistake the tech representative told me that I couldn't just plug a wire into the box.  I will try plugging in a cable and doing a reboot of the whole system.    

4 of 4 (216 Views)