Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 7, 2013
8:27:42 PM
View profile
How do I BLOCK ports in the firewall?

Rather than opening up ports I need to block them... specifically 80 and 3306.  I am using a webserver (for localhost only for web dev testing purpose), but to make it a little more secure I would like to block all incoming from these two ports as well.

I know how to allow ports in the firewall, but how do you block them?

Rather than opening up ports I need to block them... specifically 80 and 3306.  I am using a webserver (for localhost only for web dev testing purpose), but to make it a little more secure I would like to block all incoming from these two ports as well.

I know how to allow ports in the firewall, but how do you block them?

How do I BLOCK ports in the firewall?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 9:45:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The firewall will block them if you are not making requests on them from your end or sending out requests to return on those ports.

Try Steve Gibson's Shields Up to check your ports, mine had Stealth on 1 thru 1056 and 3306 w/the RG firewall.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

The firewall will block them if you are not making requests on them from your end or sending out requests to return on those ports.

Try Steve Gibson's Shields Up to check your ports, mine had Stealth on 1 thru 1056 and 3306 w/the RG firewall.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I BLOCK ports in the firewall?

2 of 4 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 11:14:48 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by morrow on Jul 7, 2013 at 11:15:51 PM

Thanks for the link - completely stealth. I would still like to know if it possible to manually and specifically block a port in the firewall though. I can only assume they treat the current firewall settings as a 'whitelist' due to the setup and options present. It would be nice to have the peace of mind that a specific filter has been added and blocked from your own rule.

Thanks for the link - completely stealth. I would still like to know if it possible to manually and specifically block a port in the firewall though. I can only assume they treat the current firewall settings as a 'whitelist' due to the setup and options present. It would be nice to have the peace of mind that a specific filter has been added and blocked from your own rule.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 1:57:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The default on incoming ports is closed, with some exceptions for IPTV, VOIP and AT&T management of the firewall and other devices.  As such, it is not possible to close them explicitly. 

The default on incoming ports is closed, with some exceptions for IPTV, VOIP and AT&T management of the firewall and other devices.  As such, it is not possible to close them explicitly. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (224 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments