Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 17, 2014
11:58:50 AM
How can someone else have my exact same email address???

This has been going on for years.  I always thought it was odd but at this point I have to find out what's going on.

So I've had Uverse for some time.  When we set up my account some years back, I was told to give the tech what I wanted for an email address.  For arguments sake, we'll say my name is Joe Smith.  So I said, well let's use jsmith@att.net

That is the address I've had ever since.  However, on occasion I will get emails, almost always from a commercial entity such as flowers.com or hilton.com etc.  Sometimes it will be for something like a high school reunion but they are addressed to Jane Smith or James Smith etc but they are all sent to the email, jsmith@att.net.

I never have a problem getting email from anyone but I also get these other emails.

How many people have or have had this email address and how secure am I? 

This has been going on for years.  I always thought it was odd but at this point I have to find out what's going on.

So I've had Uverse for some time.  When we set up my account some years back, I was told to give the tech what I wanted for an email address.  For arguments sake, we'll say my name is Joe Smith.  So I said, well let's use jsmith@att.net

That is the address I've had ever since.  However, on occasion I will get emails, almost always from a commercial entity such as flowers.com or hilton.com etc.  Sometimes it will be for something like a high school reunion but they are addressed to Jane Smith or James Smith etc but they are all sent to the email, jsmith@att.net.

I never have a problem getting email from anyone but I also get these other emails.

How many people have or have had this email address and how secure am I? 

How can someone else have my exact same email address???

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 12:18:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:21:48 PM

socalguy92505 - I would be amazed if there was a valid e-mail address crossed with yours. I think it is more likely the commercial locations are making up addresses to send out blind advertising. I did google the subject & it appears to exist.

Robo calls may be generated by a consecutive list of numbers, without regard to who is called - just get the info out there. Same for e-mail - make up an address and apply it to the larger e-mail providers. They would know if an address reached a valid address or failed. Once, it worked they would sell it on a list to others.

Is it just your example that uses a simple name address or is your real address simple too. Perhaps there is a an advantage to having a complicated address that no one would make up, You and your contacts would attach your name to it so that you do not have to deal with the mishmash of letters.

socalguy92505 - I would be amazed if there was a valid e-mail address crossed with yours. I think it is more likely the commercial locations are making up addresses to send out blind advertising. I did google the subject & it appears to exist.

Robo calls may be generated by a consecutive list of numbers, without regard to who is called - just get the info out there. Same for e-mail - make up an address and apply it to the larger e-mail providers. They would know if an address reached a valid address or failed. Once, it worked they would sell it on a list to others.

Is it just your example that uses a simple name address or is your real address simple too. Perhaps there is a an advantage to having a complicated address that no one would make up, You and your contacts would attach your name to it so that you do not have to deal with the mishmash of letters.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How can someone else have my exact same email address???

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 12:41:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by socalguy92505 on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:48:53 PM

I understand your point about mass generated spam but I really don't think this is the case.

To answer your question, while my name obviously isn't as simple as Joe Smith, my first name is very common and my last name is common as well.

The reason I finally posted today might also give evidence that it's not just a robo-mail type of situation.

What happened today is that I got a confirmation email from the Hilton Hotel in Fort Collins, CO along with confirmation number and the name of this one particular woman I've been "sharing" this email with for years.  It is a legit email confirming a week long stay.  Considering this, I'd have to assume that when this reservation was made, she used this "duplicate" email. I have received numerous emails to her over the years.

Just to clarify without giving my real, full name let's just say that my real name is John Gold and my email is jgold@att.net.  This womans name is Jane Goldsmith.  I've also had emails (although not as frequently as Jane Goldsmith) that were addressed to a Jim Goldberg.  Obviously all examples but you get the idea.

What confuses me is that I'm getting hers yet there has been no missed emails on my part. I just find this totally bizarre.

Editing this reply: I just NOW received an email thanking "me" for joining Hilton Honors along with "my" membership number!

I understand your point about mass generated spam but I really don't think this is the case.

To answer your question, while my name obviously isn't as simple as Joe Smith, my first name is very common and my last name is common as well.

The reason I finally posted today might also give evidence that it's not just a robo-mail type of situation.

What happened today is that I got a confirmation email from the Hilton Hotel in Fort Collins, CO along with confirmation number and the name of this one particular woman I've been "sharing" this email with for years.  It is a legit email confirming a week long stay.  Considering this, I'd have to assume that when this reservation was made, she used this "duplicate" email. I have received numerous emails to her over the years.

Just to clarify without giving my real, full name let's just say that my real name is John Gold and my email is jgold@att.net.  This womans name is Jane Goldsmith.  I've also had emails (although not as frequently as Jane Goldsmith) that were addressed to a Jim Goldberg.  Obviously all examples but you get the idea.

What confuses me is that I'm getting hers yet there has been no missed emails on my part. I just find this totally bizarre.

Editing this reply: I just NOW received an email thanking "me" for joining Hilton Honors along with "my" membership number!

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (779 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 12:58:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Could it be a simple mis-spelling on someone's part:  jgold@att.net instead of jgolds@att.net.  Or maybe even j_gold@att.net and someone just forgot the "_"

OLD saying:  Garbage in...garbage out. 

If the info is entered wrong (and ultimately, a human must enter the info), then it's going to be sent to the wrong email.

Could it be a simple mis-spelling on someone's part:  jgold@att.net instead of jgolds@att.net.  Or maybe even j_gold@att.net and someone just forgot the "_"

OLD saying:  Garbage in...garbage out. 

If the info is entered wrong (and ultimately, a human must enter the info), then it's going to be sent to the wrong email.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 1:03:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I guess that could be the case but most of the stuff I get is from a sender who always seems to be replying to an address that this woman entered.

Like today for example, I find it hard to believe that someone would make a reservation at a hotel and enter their own email incorrectly.  Isn't it safe to assume that the confirmation email sent back would simply be sent automatically to the email address she entered?

A few months ago I was getting emails sent to her thanking her for subscribing to parenting.com or something along with a congratulatory email on her pregnancy!  I finally just started unsubscribing to it. 

I guess that could be the case but most of the stuff I get is from a sender who always seems to be replying to an address that this woman entered.

Like today for example, I find it hard to believe that someone would make a reservation at a hotel and enter their own email incorrectly.  Isn't it safe to assume that the confirmation email sent back would simply be sent automatically to the email address she entered?

A few months ago I was getting emails sent to her thanking her for subscribing to parenting.com or something along with a congratulatory email on her pregnancy!  I finally just started unsubscribing to it. 

5 of 10 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 1:16:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
socalguy92505 - OK, it is not random and it may not be a isolated error. But, it still is only a line of text. No evidence of an e-mail account. The intermediate party does not know they have the wrong e-mail. The other person may not be paying attention.

Since you have at least one concrete case - the Hilton. You can follow up to see if you can get identity details or at least have the hotel contact the originator by phone or mail to contact you.

Try googling any info you have. You can always move to a different e-mail.
socalguy92505 - OK, it is not random and it may not be a isolated error. But, it still is only a line of text. No evidence of an e-mail account. The intermediate party does not know they have the wrong e-mail. The other person may not be paying attention.

Since you have at least one concrete case - the Hilton. You can follow up to see if you can get identity details or at least have the hotel contact the originator by phone or mail to contact you.

Try googling any info you have. You can always move to a different e-mail.

6 of 10 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 2:27:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Or maybe you should just show up at that Hilton and ask for your room on the appointed day.  See who else shows up and get to the bottom of it. Smiley Very Happy

Or maybe you should just show up at that Hilton and ask for your room on the appointed day.  See who else shows up and get to the bottom of it. Smiley Very Happy

7 of 10 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 3:03:13 PM
(0)
Employee

my wife gets .net mixed up with .com all the time when sending emails, easiest way for you to see if its a crossed account is look in your outbox, is there any emails going out that were not sent by you? i also dont think since every email has a different password that you or this person would choose the same password, or one of you would have seen  a password change confirmation. My guess is jsmith@att.com thinks their email is jsmith@att.net. Bottom line if theres no activity in your outbox from someone else then its just robomail (kinda sounds like all mail is from company) you would think if its crossed some of that email would be personal between friends and family and not just hilton or flowers.com etc

my wife gets .net mixed up with .com all the time when sending emails, easiest way for you to see if its a crossed account is look in your outbox, is there any emails going out that were not sent by you? i also dont think since every email has a different password that you or this person would choose the same password, or one of you would have seen  a password change confirmation. My guess is jsmith@att.com thinks their email is jsmith@att.net. Bottom line if theres no activity in your outbox from someone else then its just robomail (kinda sounds like all mail is from company) you would think if its crossed some of that email would be personal between friends and family and not just hilton or flowers.com etc

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 10 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 3:04:50 PM
(0)
Employee

JefferMC wrote:

Jeffer, HAHAH this make me LOL 

JefferMC wrote:

Jeffer, HAHAH this make me LOL 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 10 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 3:18:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
RE: you would think if its crossed some of that email would be personal between friends and family and not just hilton or flowers.com etc from Constructive

The difference between the two is that the personal e-mail is treated with care, expecting a reply and applied to an address book. So, there would be only one error, if any.

The business activity is just a string of letters used to send out a confirmation or sales pitch. They may not even be concerned if they get failed notice. The e-mail from the business looks official, but, in reality it is just fluff. The business transaction goes on without it.

I believe there were posts about people getting e-mails for different u-verse accts. The first thought is that the accounts are bolloxed up. But, it is just the wrong address in the notify space.
RE: you would think if its crossed some of that email would be personal between friends and family and not just hilton or flowers.com etc from Constructive

The difference between the two is that the personal e-mail is treated with care, expecting a reply and applied to an address book. So, there would be only one error, if any.

The business activity is just a string of letters used to send out a confirmation or sales pitch. They may not even be concerned if they get failed notice. The e-mail from the business looks official, but, in reality it is just fluff. The business transaction goes on without it.

I believe there were posts about people getting e-mails for different u-verse accts. The first thought is that the accounts are bolloxed up. But, it is just the wrong address in the notify space.

10 of 10 (725 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments