How can I get more speed for less buffering in Southern St. Louis, MO?

Contributor

How can I get more speed for less buffering in Southern St. Louis, MO?

Hello,

I realize that I am near the end of the Att Uverse signal on the line in Imperial/Arnold MO (per their own tech who came out for a 3rd time for issues with a brand new DVR and adjustments for speed for Internet and HD TV). But honestly, if they sell me a speed for minimum up and down speeds, I expect to hit them. I have not and have been told that since I am at the end of the signal/line, that until ATT builds closer to my home, I will be paying for services that I can't get but they will be more than willing to sell me and my family speeds and HD TV services that are slow or buffer 95% of the 30 minute show. I am  "ALMOST" willing to go back to Charter, since they are more local, they can sell and support their local equipment and have their speeds at my home closer to what they would be selling it to me at.... But Charter is the worst for customer service and even worse for lines being down, which would lead to unscheduled power/service outages without any gifts or awards for dealing with their problems.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wife is fed up with ATT services as a hole, (Slow DSL for streaming tv & Internet, service interruptions) and wants to go to another carrier. Don't know who else to get that is economical and solid performance - anyone help us out??

Kevin

Message 1 of 4 (430 Views)
Employee

Re: How can I get more speed for less buffering in Southern St. Louis, MO?

Some info please, which RG? Can you download http://www.uvrealtime.com/ and post screenshots?
Which internet package? What are your local speed tests? Issues with netflex? Youtube?

Chances of UVerse building closer is almost none, but future changes may offer better performance.
Internet speed is a max not a minimum, ex 12M would be above 6M so 6.5 to 12 within profile HARDWIRED.
wireless speeds have no guarantee due to large number of possible interference, if important plug in.
Due to increased number of video services such as netflex , especially during prime time (think rush hour traffic) buffering is occurring even for those on other carriers and much higher speeds (verizon fios 50M...google)

Available speed profiles PRO (3M), ELITE (6M), MAX (12M), MAX PLUS (18M), MAX TURBO (24M), POWER (45M)
available profiles based on distance ..... with tv services...vdsl circuits.
55M (for 45M HSIA) less than 2200 feet, bonded pair, with good signal noise (SN) ratio, 589 RG
32M (max HSIA is 24M) less than 2200, single pair, 3800 or 3801 RG
25M (max HSIA is 18M), less than 3000, single pair, 3801 RG
25M (max HSIA is 18M), 3000-6000 feet, bonded pair, inid or 589 RG
19M (max HSIA is 12M), greater than 3000 feet, single pair, 3801 RG
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (417 Views)
Scholar

I have 24 MG internet know.  45MG is not yet available in my area but is coming.  What would be the advantage of going up from 24 to 45?  I am trying to decide if it will be worth the extra speed.  I am not a gamer I only surf the net and stream video.  According to VUDU customer service 24 is high enough to stream their highest quality hd video.  They said anything over 15 and you should not have any problems.

Message 3 of 4 (328 Views)
Employee

An excellent question db821arc, many wish for higher upstream speeds.
Suspect over the past years one of most often complaints regardless of provider is wish for symmetrical profile speeds.
Most, I think, would rather have 25/25 instead of 45/6.

With more cloud based usage, backups, upload video, etc. In addition any upload if not managed, negatively affects download speed.

Current Uverse vdsl (IPTV Available) Internet packages
PRO 3/1, ELITE 6/1, MAX 12/1.5, MAX PLUS 18/1.5, MAX TURBO 24/3, POWER 45/6.

That is not to say people do not want faster download speeds, especially as UVERSE is Shared Bandwidth.
With a large household having multiple tvs and internet devices, watching or recording 3 or 4 HD programs can dramatically affect those on higher internet packages. Someone on 32M profile with 5TVs and 24M internet would see more issues with speeds than someone on same profile, same viewing but 6M internet.

While the 45M internet suffers from same usage problem, not necessarily as noticeable when using services.
Example 3HD with 24M (32M profile) 32-(3x6)=14x90% around 12.5 same on 45M (55M profile) 55-(3x6)=37x.9=33M
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (321 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.