Home phone porting NIGHTMARE!

Highlighted
Tutor

Home phone porting NIGHTMARE!

My installation appointment for July 16th was to set up new service for my home phone and to install internet service. My number from Optimum (previous provider) was to be ported over. When I made my initial call to AT&T I inquired about transferring over my home number. I was assured that this would not be a problem.

When the technician arrived, he set up the Internet (which, By the way, keeps losing the connection) however, he was only able to give me a temporary home number as AT&T was still waiting for my number to be ported from Optimum. Was again assured it should be a day or two until I had my old number. Never happened. 

Since the 16th, I have spent endless hours on the phone with technical support,customer service,and supervisors (one actually gave me her ID number) and again assured me that they were handling everything and I would be called within 24-48 hours with a resolution. Still waiting. 

Today, incredibly frustrated, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with AT&T to find out that my service from Optimum was disconnected before AT&T could port it. Solution? I would need to go back to Optimum,  reconnect service for a few days and then AT&T can port. How can I believe this? 

And, as a sidenote to this ongoing saga my Internet is still not working properly, but I have been assured that a new modum has been sent to me.

In the world of heavy competition I find it hard to believe that a company could  operate like this. Passed around, on hold, passed to various departments, supervisors saying that they take this matter seriously, but in the end nobody really cares and nothing is resolved. Just wasted time and the problem back in the customers hand.

Is it time to switch back to Optimum? 
Message 1 of 11 (253 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Home phone porting NIGHTMARE!

Itsmegus wrote:

Today, incredibly frustrated, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with AT&T to find out that my service from Optimum was disconnected before AT&T could port it. Solution? I would need to go back to Optimum,  reconnect service for a few days and then AT&T can port. How can I believe this? 

A phone number must be active for it to be portable. Did you have it disconnected from Optimum?

You can either have Optimum reconnect your number or accept the new number AT&T assigned.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11 (233 Views)
Tutor

AT&T told me that they would port the number over before Optimum
disconnected it. As AT&T clearly made the mistake here, will AT&T cover
these charges?

I have also forwarded the previous email to the CEO, Randall Stephenson and
Lori Lee, VP of Home solutions.

Again, why am I spending hours on this?
Message 3 of 11 (229 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

The fine line is this:  You must not cancel the old account.  You must tell the new provider that you want to transfer the number, they will then contact the old provider to transfer the number and cancel the account.  This is the way the FCC has outlined for carriers to do this.  When AT&T told you that they would transfer the old number before Optimum disconnected it, it was with this path in mind.

So:

• if you told Optimum to cancel it then you made a mistake and may not be able to get it fixed, but
  • If you never told Optimum to cancel the account, but they cancelled in reaction to a communication from AT&T, then it's up to Optimum and AT&T to get your number back.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11 (226 Views)
ACE - Professor

Itsmegus wrote:

Again, why am I spending hours on this?

You don't have to. You can accept the new number AT&T provided.

Message 5 of 11 (216 Views)
Tutor

Yes, AT&T and Optimum need to sort this out. At&T is not taking
responsibility.

Why should I have to take on a new number when I made arrangements weeks
ago to have my old number ported.

Where is the customer service?
Message 6 of 11 (209 Views)
ACE - Expert

Itsmegus wrote:
Yes, AT&T and Optimum need to sort this out. At&T is not taking
responsibility.

Why should I have to take on a new number when I made arrangements weeks
ago to have my old number ported.

Where is the customer service?

Only if you didn't cancel the Optimum account.  I notice you haven't addressed this question.

Message 7 of 11 (205 Views)
Tutor

How could I have cancelled the account when it is under my husbands name
and I have been the only one dealing with this.
Message 8 of 11 (201 Views)
ACE - Professor

Itsmegus wrote:

That's not really an answer to the question. 

Have you contacted Optimum to see what they have to say? They should be able to tell you if your number was ported out before the account was closed. If it was, then you can isolate the issue to AT&T and move on from there. If it wasn't, then you need to find out (from Optimum) why the account was closed.

Message 9 of 11 (186 Views)
ACE - Expert

Itsmegus wrote:

Not only is this not an answer to the question, it begs another question: How could you have given AT&T the authority to transfer that number from the Optimum account if you didn't have the rights to that account.

Message 10 of 11 (183 Views)
Contributor

WOW , I thought I was the only one.... I am going thru a similair experience, I signed up in late June for Uverse TV and needed my # Ported over from Optimum, I finally got the number ported over in late July (after ATT had assigned me a "different number, Optimum had canceled my #, had to call Optimum to reinstate it so that ATT could port it , etc, etc, etc), made dozens of calls. The latest is, my number was ported over, but THE NUMBER ALSO STILL EXISTS thru OPTIMUM and they have charged me, now I have a bill from ATT and OPTIMUM for the same number. Isn't this suppose to happen behind the scenes? Isn't ATT suppose to handle my number cancelation?

Message 11 of 11 (101 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.