Higher rates for existing customers?

Contributor

Higher rates for existing customers?

I am an existing uverse internet only customer and I received a mailer with offers trying to pull me away from direct tv. So I call on the offer and I'm told that I'm not a "new customer" so the pricing would be higher. What's up with that? How can AT&T offer me a rate to pull me in and then say I'm not eligible? Not going to win me as a customer for tv that way.
Message 1 of 12 (1,048 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Higher rates for existing customers?

johncboyle wrote:
I am an existing uverse internet only customer and I received a mailer with offers trying to pull me away from direct tv. So I call on the offer and I'm told that I'm not a "new customer" so the pricing would be higher. What's up with that? How can AT&T offer me a rate to pull me in and then say I'm not eligible? Not going to win me as a customer for tv that way.

What company does not do that?  If they discounted everyone's rates, how would they make any money?  There is a 95% chance that your first 6 month, 1 year or 2 year deal with a cable provider, will be your best deal ever.  Ever.  No matter if it is Comcast, AT&T, Direct or whoever.  AND it's not just TV or Internet providers.  Car Insurance works the same way.  The best tip that I have is when your promotions are set to expire, call 1-800-288-2020 and say Cancel My Service.  You will get Retentions.  Explain that another provider (give them a specific name) has a better deal.  They will cut you some new promotions.  It may not be as good but it will be better than full price.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (944 Views)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

johncboyle wrote:

What company does not do that?  If they discounted everyone's rates, how would they make any money?  There is a 95% chance that your first 6 month, 1 year or 2 year deal with a cable provider, will be your best deal ever.  Ever.  No matter if it is Comcast, AT&T, Direct or whoever.  AND it's not just TV or Internet providers.  Car Insurance works the same way.  The best tip that I have is when your promotions are set to expire, call 1-800-288-2020 and say Cancel My Service.  You will get Retentions.  Explain that another provider (give them a specific name) has a better deal.  They will cut you some new promotions.  It may not be as good but it will be better than full price.

I don't know of any car insurance that works this way.  If anything, all car insurances I've ever had lowered my rates the longer I stayed with them.  This suggests that many more people switch car insurance.  There's much more to choose from than that of phone company or cable company.  There isn't a real choice.

Message 3 of 12 (908 Views)
Expert

willchen wrote:

I don't know of any car insurance that works this way.  If anything, all car insurances I've ever had lowered my rates the longer I stayed with them.  This suggests that many more people switch car insurance.  There's much more to choose from than that of phone company or cable company.  There isn't a real choice.

Really?  In all the years that I have had car insurance, I can never recall that happening.  I've only experienced my car insurance premiums increasing over time with the same insurance company.

Message 4 of 12 (858 Views)

I've been with the same insurance company since 1995 and my rates have gone up, not down.  Even so, I'm paying 300% less than I would if I were to change. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 12 (812 Views)
Scholar

I guess it must work differently for you Texans.  Until this may, I've had the same insurance company since 1992.  I've only switched because the bundled home insurance was saved me money even while the car insurance portion rose a little.

Maybe it's because I pay collision on my newer cars and you don't.  Unless you buy a Bugatti or Ferrari, etc..., cars depreciate in value, so they should definitely be charging less each year.  Even with my older car, without collision coverage, I got an annual discount, the longer I stay with them.  As long as I don't have an accident or speeding ticket, I pay less each year until I get a new car.  I've also shopped around almost every year for the past 10 years and the companies I've talked to have the same deals.  They all just started off more expensive.  I wasn't going to pay a few hundred more for 3-5 years to get to the savings that I had.

Message 6 of 12 (738 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

willchen wrote:

I guess it must work differently for you Texans.  Until this may, I've had the same insurance company since 1992.  I've only switched because the bundled home insurance was saved me money even while the car insurance portion rose a little.

Maybe it's because I pay collision on my newer cars and you don't.  Unless you buy a Bugatti or Ferrari, etc..., cars depreciate in value, so they should definitely be charging less each year.  Even with my older car, without collision coverage, I got an annual discount, the longer I stay with them.  As long as I don't have an accident or speeding ticket, I pay less each year until I get a new car.  I've also shopped around almost every year for the past 10 years and the companies I've talked to have the same deals.  They all just started off more expensive.  I wasn't going to pay a few hundred more for 3-5 years to get to the savings that I had.

It's called the Texas State Insurance Board and yes, generally our rates go up every year!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 12 (727 Views)

I asked my provider about that and it's because it costs more for repairs when customers file complaints.  Everyone's rates go up because of that and the number of uninsured motorists on the road causing accidents.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 12 (700 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I asked my provider about that and it's because it costs more for repairs when customers file complaints.  Everyone's rates go up because of that and the number of uninsured motorists on the road causing accidents.

Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

^^^^  How I feel every time I open my insurance renewal notice...MAD & SAD!

Message 9 of 12 (683 Views)
ACE - Master

I must be lucky!!  I have USAA and so far mine have remained steady over the last 10 or so years.  Actually about 20 bucks less this 6 month period I just paid last month. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 10 of 12 (679 Views)

BeeBeeSA wrote:

I must be lucky!!  I have USAA and so far mine have remained steady over the last 10 or so years.  Actually about 20 bucks less this 6 month period I just paid last month. 

I got a quote from USAA and when I had my renters insurance through Allstate, they were twice as high as what I have now.  Of course it's hard to be the loyalty discount I've got since I've been with Geico since 95.  When I lived in Italy we only had two choices for military to get insurance, Geico if you were enlisted or USAA if you were an office.  Now USAA is open to all ranks and their dependants.

Message 11 of 12 (648 Views)
ACE - Master

I've has USAA since the late '70's for all of my insurance.  Auto, renters, then home owner, etc.  Maybe that's why they keep my rates fairly low?  I know I've givin them more than they have paid out back to me, that's for sure!!  Daughter has them too.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 12 of 12 (631 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.