High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Message 1 of 139 (10,608 Views)
Expert

Re: Possible Clue in My Case

I wonder if ALL the UV DVRs have the same manufacturer of HDD?  Maybe that is the key?  Or a bad batch?

Uturnaroun wrote:

What brand of HDD does your DVR have? If look into the top of the DVR, you will see the hard drive in the lower right corner but mounted high enough to read parts of the label. Can you make out a brand on the label?

FYI, mine is a Seagate.

Message 61 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

I wonder if ALL the UV DVRs have the same manufacturer of HDD?  Maybe that is the key?  Or a bad batch?

Uturnaroun wrote:

What brand of HDD does your DVR have? If look into the top of the DVR, you will see the hard drive in the lower right corner but mounted high enough to read parts of the label. Can you make out a brand on the label?

FYI, mine is a Seagate.

Something is different because those of us who got dvrs before January or February haven't has that problem.  Or I haven't seen as many posts about the whine as I have lately.  People who have recently got the service or have had dvrs replaced recently.

Message 62 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Mentor

Tech came and switched the box. Heard the noise. Heard of the noise. Said Cisco boxes are in San Francisco.  New box was manufactured 3/08. Not sure about the first one but I've only had service for 2 weeks.

Also moved the DVD player out from under the box in case heat was causing some problem. And, put the ATT box on 1 inch risers to get better circulation. Testing it tonight.

Message 63 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Expert

Let us know what happens.
Message 64 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Mentor

Having gotten a new AT&T box;

Having moved the DVD player out from under the AT&T box;

Having lifted the box up on 1" risers for better circulation;

Having watched many hours, including watching DVDs, the VCR;

There has been no sustained high pitch noise. A great relief (so far.) However, once in a while I hear the noise for about 3 seconds, faintly but it dissolves away.

So at this point, unless the noise returns, I consider this a great success. A terrible controlled experiment in that I don't know if the change is due to the new box, moving the DVD player, the 1" risers, or any or all of those factors...but, the point was to be done with that fraggin' noise.

Thanks to all for the assistance! 

Message 65 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Contributor

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I solved the high pitch noise by moving the STB out from under the TV and set the box on edge on the floor and leaned it against the TV stand.  This allows better air flow to the hard drive fan resulting in lower temperatures and NO IRRITATING HIGH PITCH NOISE.
Message 66 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Teacher

Well, our newest started making the noise again. 

No more chances.  Going back to DirecTV. 

Also, the internet seems slower than my old DSL line which was also AT&T...odd, but that will go back to the way it was too. 

Funny thing was, the day after the newest DVR started making noise, we got a flyer in the mail from DirecTV with a special deal to switch back...it will save us quite a bit and be much easier on the ears too.

Message 67 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Professor

DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV DirecTV

You didn't say DirecTV nearly enough in your DirecTV post, so I added a few more DirecTV DirecTV to the thread for you.

Message 68 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Expert

Great picture with pixelization, watch out for sun spots, rain, clouds, smoke, trees.
Message 69 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Expert

And UFOs disguising themselves. :smileyhappy:

RCSMG wrote:
Great picture with pixelization, watch out for sun spots, rain, clouds, smoke, trees.

Message 70 of 139 (1,049 Views)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

And UFOs disguising themselves. :smileyhappy:

RCSMG wrote:

Makes me long for the days when I had Uverse. Wait!  I still have Uverse.  WOO HOO:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Message 71 of 139 (839 Views)
Teacher

Well, I had it for 3 years prior to this mess, and never had trouble.  But I do have problems with U-Verse.  Lots of them.  5 DVRs and they cant get it right?  Give me a break. 

I cancelled a service I was ok with to give this a try, and its been nothing but trouble.  So why shouldnt I go back? 

Someone have a better idea?  Oh, I know, maybe I should go for DVR #6...and pay more for faster internet, even though my current is supposed to be 2X faster than my old DSL and isnt...

Seriously, how many of you would keep putting up with this?  Setting aside 4 hours of your day every time they need to come out to swap the DVR, nevermind the hour I have to spend on the phone to get it swapped...  How many should I go thru before calling it quits?

Message 72 of 139 (839 Views)
Master

if you've been thru 5 dvr's then i doubt it's the dvr. you should do what's best for you...
Dennis
Message 73 of 139 (839 Views)
Teacher

Well, it is.  Im not about to go into everything I and techs have tried...Ive done so on here already while they and I were trying those things.  Different rooms, different locations...

Regardless...I dont want to switch...if I was Id have done it after the gateway failed.  No internet for 2 days, and half the third day (Sunday) waiting on a tech and another 4 hours for him to figure out I needed a new one.  And now, to switch back, they are going to have to come get the stuff, which will be another 4 hour wait Im sure, and Ill have to set up an install with Directv if thats who we go with, though the only other options are Dish Network and Comcast...

I really like the idea U-Verse offers...but the equipment they currently use, at least in my area, isnt up to the task.  I really would be much happier keeping it if it worked as advertised (internet) and without the noise (DVR)...

Message 74 of 139 (839 Views)
Master

why it doesn't make sense to me is why isn't their a large number of people in your area that was installed around the same time as you complaining of the same problem. of course i don't know how att supply system work maybe they kept putting the same dvr into the system and you kept getting it. lol. i'd be interested to know if any of your close neighbors were having the same problem...
Dennis
Message 75 of 139 (839 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.