High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Message 1 of 139 (10,595 Views)
Expert

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I saw a post in another thread that somebody said they checked about the Cisco boxes and were told they aren't available to every area yet.  And that is part of the point I was making.  They say they aren't available yet but they don't say how soon they will get them to every area and who will get them first when they start being released in every area.
Message 46 of 139 (1,195 Views)
Master

my take is ::::  they will not be in every market...

my 2 ¢

Message Edited by randyl on 08-02-2008 05:40 PM
Message 47 of 139 (1,195 Views)
Expert

Why do you think that?
Message 48 of 139 (1,195 Views)
Mentor

Decided to get my box replaced and am scheduled for Sunday, 2pm - 4pm PDT. Will advise on results. I think I may do some hypnosis on the new Motorola box and see if I can get it to believe it is a Cisco, and act accordingly.
Message 49 of 139 (1,195 Views)
Expert

Hopefully when the tech comes he cn hear the whine coming from the box.  If he does let us know becuse you will be the first person to post that a tech heard the whine.
Message 50 of 139 (1,195 Views)
Mentor

Okay, I'll have my wife watch before he comes. It always starts when she watches. :smileyhappy:
Message 51 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Teacher

I had 3 techs hear it...

Also, tech came today to fix internet issue (couldnt connect either wireless or ethernet), and DVR noise issue. 

Fixed the internet issue, needed a new gateway.  Also swapped DVRs and power supplies, and installed it in a different location.  So far no noise.  Not convinced its location as the old noisy DVR was where the new one is now and was still making the same noise it was upstairs...maybe I got a good one finally! 

Anyway, so far so good.  Also, Cisco boxes are in Illinois, so Im sure Indiana isnt too far off.  I guess if I have any more trouble I will continue to request Cisco...and you all should do the same.  Im sure they wont switch unless they know it will fix the problems.  

Message 52 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Master

Il market started out with cisco  i think ??

my take

randy

Message 53 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Mentor

Re: Possible Clue in My Case

Setup:

A.  TV on a particle board stand 

B.  On a lower shelf, the Motorola box sits on top of my DVD player.

C.  No other gear on or near. 

Protocol:

1.  No equipment on for hours. No high pitch noise.

2.  Turned on Motorola box. Left TV on for 4 to 6 hours. No high pitch noise.

3.  Turned on DVD player and played a DVD. No high pitch noise...for the first hour.

4.  After an hour, the high pitch noise started. 

To be determined:

• Is the issue the proximity to the DVD player due to "heat"?
  • Is the issue some weird electronic disharmony?
  • Both?

I'll let the tech hear the noise today. Switch the box. Leave it set up the same way. If the problem persists, I'll move the DVD away and see if that handles the issue. Wish I could try that now so I don't have to set up the remote and favorites again, as well as lose some recordings I'd like to retain. But alas... 

Message 54 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Scholar

"To be determined:

• Is the issue the proximity to the DVD player due to "heat"?
  • Is the issue some weird electronic disharmony?
  • Both?"

Since the noise has been pretty  much  pinpointed to the cooling fan in the STB (per other posts) and you added heat by

turning on the dvd and the high pitch noise then ensued you have quite conclusivly determined that the

cooling fan is the source and temperature is the cause imho.

Suggestion: try getting some space between the boxes, maybe some spacers that the dvd rests on will

allow convection air flow to remove some heat generated by the dvd. It is hardly ever a good idea to stack

one piece of electronic gear on top of another unless they were specifically designed for that arrangement.

Message Edited by noeck1c on 08-03-2008 03:04 PM
Message 55 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Expert

Looks like good ventilation for the electronics could solve the problem, but always consider YRMV.
Message 56 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Teacher

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

I wish people would quit saying its the cooling fan.  Really.  Others may have had the cooling fan making noise, but mine, and a few others were the hard drive.  One of the techs that replaced my DVR even said they knew it was that on 2 others they had done that day. 

Anyway, it could be interference from other components.  Or it could just be a bad DVR. Regardless, who has a DVR and doesnt have DVD player?  Im sure there are a few, but for the most part, home theaters are pretty common place, and DVD players moreso.  If they dont work well together, its a DVR problem. 

Message 57 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Guru

I don't have a DVD player but have noise.  My U-verse STB sits very far away from other components.  

I heard the high pitch noise for the first time shortly after turning the box on early in the morning.  Box was pretty cool at the time.   It comes and goes pretty inexplicably.

Message Edited by djrobx on 08-03-2008 08:53 PM
Message 58 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Professor

Lodogg2221 wrote:

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

I wish people would quit saying its the cooling fan.  Really.  Others may have had the cooling fan making noise, but mine, and a few others were the hard drive.  One of the techs that replaced my DVR even said they knew it was that on 2 others they had done that day. 

Anyway, it could be interference from other components.  Or it could just be a bad DVR. Regardless, who has a DVR and doesnt have DVD player?  Im sure there are a few, but for the most part, home theaters are pretty common place, and DVD players moreso.  If they dont work well together, its a DVR problem. 

What brand of HDD does your DVR have? If look into the top of the DVR, you will see the hard drive in the lower right corner but mounted high enough to read parts of the label. Can you make out a brand on the label?

FYI, mine is a Seagate.

Message 59 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Teacher

I should have checked before they took the last bad one...the one I currently have doesnt make noise...
Message 60 of 139 (1,181 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.