Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 8, 2008
3:48:17 PM
View profile
High Pitch noise driving me crazy!
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

138 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(138)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2008 7:12:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Solutions have been varied, from placing the dvr on it's side, putting foam uner it and around it, moving it awayl other electronics devices.  Like dvd players and audio receivers.  Sometimes it is worse than that but they are all worth trying if it gets rid of the noise. 
Solutions have been varied, from placing the dvr on it's side, putting foam uner it and around it, moving it awayl other electronics devices.  Like dvd players and audio receivers.  Sometimes it is worse than that but they are all worth trying if it gets rid of the noise. 
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

91 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2008 9:25:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am a Prem Tech from STL, MO and have not heard about this issue. Where r you from with this issue? We don't have the Cisco DVR in STL either. For the person with the bad attitude tech, sorry about that. We are working really hard to try and keep up with demand and some of us are getting pretty tired and basically just worn out. While it's not a good excuse it is just a statement. I apologize for his poor treatment of your problem. Most of us are taking our crabbiness out on our managers. Haha. I am not free of being cranky sometimes as well. The techs here in STL are working 6 days a week. Most if not all of those days we are working 10 - 12 hour days. I worked 27.5 hours of OT last week and 25 hours the week before that. So we are trying to help everybody as much as we can, but the service is relatively new and it is basically impossible to foresee every problem. The DVR definitely needs good air flow in an area where it is not going to get hot from other equipment. It is pron to the same problems as any other advanced electronic device. XBOX's and Playstations all have the same problem when they get hot they do strange things. While gamers have dealt with this problem for years a lot of the general public has not been witness to these issues. I would imagine that in the future a better cooling system will be the fix, but for now if you have a problem call us. Feel free to call in anytime you have a problem. We are out and about 7 days a week from 0730 until we get done. I can't believe that there is not a time that we could be there to help you. It's just a matter of us being there when it is convenient for you. So for the question does anyone from AT&T look at this forum, yes they do. I'm sure more people than just myself. We can't possibly see everything that is going on without a forum such as this. It is the only way we can keep in touch and talk to a vast array of our members at once.
I am a Prem Tech from STL, MO and have not heard about this issue. Where r you from with this issue? We don't have the Cisco DVR in STL either. For the person with the bad attitude tech, sorry about that. We are working really hard to try and keep up with demand and some of us are getting pretty tired and basically just worn out. While it's not a good excuse it is just a statement. I apologize for his poor treatment of your problem. Most of us are taking our crabbiness out on our managers. Haha. I am not free of being cranky sometimes as well. The techs here in STL are working 6 days a week. Most if not all of those days we are working 10 - 12 hour days. I worked 27.5 hours of OT last week and 25 hours the week before that. So we are trying to help everybody as much as we can, but the service is relatively new and it is basically impossible to foresee every problem. The DVR definitely needs good air flow in an area where it is not going to get hot from other equipment. It is pron to the same problems as any other advanced electronic device. XBOX's and Playstations all have the same problem when they get hot they do strange things. While gamers have dealt with this problem for years a lot of the general public has not been witness to these issues. I would imagine that in the future a better cooling system will be the fix, but for now if you have a problem call us. Feel free to call in anytime you have a problem. We are out and about 7 days a week from 0730 until we get done. I can't believe that there is not a time that we could be there to help you. It's just a matter of us being there when it is convenient for you. So for the question does anyone from AT&T look at this forum, yes they do. I'm sure more people than just myself. We can't possibly see everything that is going on without a forum such as this. It is the only way we can keep in touch and talk to a vast array of our members at once.

92 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 6:18:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

As a new St. Louis County subscriber I can confirm the 7 days a week service by the techs.  I had two post-installation service calls on a Sunday to replace bad STBs  That was about four weeks ago, since then everything has worked fine.

Thank you Number_17 and the other techs in the St. Louis area.

Ed in St. Louis

As a new St. Louis County subscriber I can confirm the 7 days a week service by the techs.  I had two post-installation service calls on a Sunday to replace bad STBs  That was about four weeks ago, since then everything has worked fine.

Thank you Number_17 and the other techs in the St. Louis area.

Ed in St. Louis

93 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 5:20:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

jrgilm wrote:
I solved the high pitch noise by moving the STB out from under the TV and set the box on edge on the floor and leaned it against the TV stand.  This allows better air flow to the hard drive fan resulting in lower temperatures and NO IRRITATING HIGH PITCH NOISE.

I'm on DVR #2, and haven't had the service for 3 days yet!  The noise is driving me nuts.  I did read in the DVR manual that the DVR shouldn't be placed on it's side, and that it has to be placed level. Does it not mess up the DVR to have it on it's side?   

Anyone know if the Cisco boxes are available in Dallas?

jrgilm wrote:
I solved the high pitch noise by moving the STB out from under the TV and set the box on edge on the floor and leaned it against the TV stand.  This allows better air flow to the hard drive fan resulting in lower temperatures and NO IRRITATING HIGH PITCH NOISE.

I'm on DVR #2, and haven't had the service for 3 days yet!  The noise is driving me nuts.  I did read in the DVR manual that the DVR shouldn't be placed on it's side, and that it has to be placed level. Does it not mess up the DVR to have it on it's side?   

Anyone know if the Cisco boxes are available in Dallas?

94 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 5:22:54 PM
(0)
Master

Freestyle_BMX wrote:

jrgilm wrote:

Anyone know if the Cisco boxes are available in Dallas?       dont think so

Freestyle_BMX wrote:

jrgilm wrote:

Anyone know if the Cisco boxes are available in Dallas?       dont think so

95 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 5:25:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Is your dvr sitting near a audio receiver or a dvd player?  Or is it closed in?  If not, try putting something underneath it to allow more air flow and the fan, which is causing the high pitched whine, to not come on so often if at all.
Is your dvr sitting near a audio receiver or a dvd player?  Or is it closed in?  If not, try putting something underneath it to allow more air flow and the fan, which is causing the high pitched whine, to not come on so often if at all.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

96 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 7:22:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, the installer put it on top of my Denon receiver.  I asked him to move it above my DVD player instead.  When I came back in the room, it was jammed so tight in the space above my DVD player that I couldn't move either one of them!  I didnt' realize it was such a tight squeeze.  I even asked him about the ventilation and he said the DVR's don't get hot, the vents weren't even needed.  Needless to say, I put it above my receiver again since that gave the best air flow.

Anyway, I think I'll stand it on end next to my components.  It doesn't sit well on top of my TV, so that's my only other option.  I hope it works.

Yeah, the installer put it on top of my Denon receiver.  I asked him to move it above my DVD player instead.  When I came back in the room, it was jammed so tight in the space above my DVD player that I couldn't move either one of them!  I didnt' realize it was such a tight squeeze.  I even asked him about the ventilation and he said the DVR's don't get hot, the vents weren't even needed.  Needless to say, I put it above my receiver again since that gave the best air flow.

Anyway, I think I'll stand it on end next to my components.  It doesn't sit well on top of my TV, so that's my only other option.  I hope it works.

97 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2008 8:12:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
The DVR should always set flat and have ample airflow. The get very hot.
The DVR should always set flat and have ample airflow. The get very hot.

98 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 7:00:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You need to move your stb away from the receiver, preferrably to a place that it can get good ventilation.  Then the fan will turn off and you won't have the high pitched whine anymore.
You need to move your stb away from the receiver, preferrably to a place that it can get good ventilation.  Then the fan will turn off and you won't have the high pitched whine anymore.

99 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 1:13:41 PM
(0)
Master
« Reply #46 on: Today at 03:06:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My box was also squealing and I think it is some fan or other part (but not the hard disk) and is related to heat. If the box is cool to the touch it doesn't squeal if it gets warm or hot it starts to squeal and in my setup the box will start squealing about and an hour and a half after it's turned on. I solved the problem by getting a cheap ($20) laptop cooler that is nearly an identical footprint to the DVR and uses USB for power. The trick was setting the cooler on top of the DVR so it blows air into the box from the top. Since the USB port on the box provides power I just plugged the cooler in and set it on the box and the box stays cool to the touch and does not squeal any longer. 
Message Edited by randyl on 08-26-2008 03:23 PM
« Reply #46 on: Today at 03:06:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My box was also squealing and I think it is some fan or other part (but not the hard disk) and is related to heat. If the box is cool to the touch it doesn't squeal if it gets warm or hot it starts to squeal and in my setup the box will start squealing about and an hour and a half after it's turned on. I solved the problem by getting a cheap ($20) laptop cooler that is nearly an identical footprint to the DVR and uses USB for power. The trick was setting the cooler on top of the DVR so it blows air into the box from the top. Since the USB port on the box provides power I just plugged the cooler in and set it on the box and the box stays cool to the touch and does not squeal any longer. 
Message Edited by randyl on 08-26-2008 03:23 PM

100 of 139 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 5:17:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well, I'm a new U-Verse customer. I've had the service for 4 days now. I have the Motorola VIP1216. No noise whatsoever. But then again I'm an old guy and maybe my hearin' aint so good.  I'll have my youngin give a listen. :smileyvery-happy:
Well, I'm a new U-Verse customer. I've had the service for 4 days now. I have the Motorola VIP1216. No noise whatsoever. But then again I'm an old guy and maybe my hearin' aint so good.  I'll have my youngin give a listen. :smileyvery-happy:

101 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 5:28:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

ImAGeek wrote:

If your dvr has good ventilation and doesn't get too hot they won't hear anything either.  The noise is caused by the fan in the dvr.

ImAGeek wrote:

If your dvr has good ventilation and doesn't get too hot they won't hear anything either.  The noise is caused by the fan in the dvr.

102 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2008 4:43:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
I've had U-Verse for about ten days. The same day the service was installed I noticed the high-pitched tone other users have reported. (For those who have not experienced it, you can find an example of a similar 17kHz tone here.) The DVR was in the open (and away from other components), so the sound was deafening. It had me climbing the walls. My wife said she couldn't hear anything unusual and had nearly convinced me that it was all in my head.

After finding online confirmation of the problem, I was curious to see if I could pinpoint the source. I was able to rule out the drive and fan before narrowing it down to the motherboard. Further examination required taking off the steel housing by removing the three screws on the back that secure it. The housing slides toward the rear of the unit then lifts off. Lo and behold! The noise faded in less than a minute as improved air circulation dissipated the heat trapped by the housing.

Now my DVR is sitting there, guts exposed and totally silent. It is unaesthetic and potentially dangerous, but at this point my relief greatly outweighs any concerns.
I've had U-Verse for about ten days. The same day the service was installed I noticed the high-pitched tone other users have reported. (For those who have not experienced it, you can find an example of a similar 17kHz tone here.) The DVR was in the open (and away from other components), so the sound was deafening. It had me climbing the walls. My wife said she couldn't hear anything unusual and had nearly convinced me that it was all in my head.

After finding online confirmation of the problem, I was curious to see if I could pinpoint the source. I was able to rule out the drive and fan before narrowing it down to the motherboard. Further examination required taking off the steel housing by removing the three screws on the back that secure it. The housing slides toward the rear of the unit then lifts off. Lo and behold! The noise faded in less than a minute as improved air circulation dissipated the heat trapped by the housing.

Now my DVR is sitting there, guts exposed and totally silent. It is unaesthetic and potentially dangerous, but at this point my relief greatly outweighs any concerns.

103 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2008 7:07:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
I looked into this some more today at work. It is because the "switch" that tells the fan to come on doesn't send enough power to the fan it causes the fan to run slow. When the fan runs slow it squeals. This problem is only related to the Moto box. STL is getting Cisco boxes soon. Arkansas will only get Cisco. The only way to stop it is to power cycle the DVR. If it starts again..... yes you guessed it power cycle it again. Sorry. If your area is not getting Cisco boxes you don't have a real fix coming soon. I would not recommend removing the cover from your DVR as it will not help it and cause you to get charged probably for a DVR replacement. Never mind the fact that it is a fire hazard. Anyway that is what the problem is. If you live in STL or somewhere else getting Cisco's in the future there is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. Try calling in now and then to get a Cisco replacement. The worse thing they can say is "not yet".
I looked into this some more today at work. It is because the "switch" that tells the fan to come on doesn't send enough power to the fan it causes the fan to run slow. When the fan runs slow it squeals. This problem is only related to the Moto box. STL is getting Cisco boxes soon. Arkansas will only get Cisco. The only way to stop it is to power cycle the DVR. If it starts again..... yes you guessed it power cycle it again. Sorry. If your area is not getting Cisco boxes you don't have a real fix coming soon. I would not recommend removing the cover from your DVR as it will not help it and cause you to get charged probably for a DVR replacement. Never mind the fact that it is a fire hazard. Anyway that is what the problem is. If you live in STL or somewhere else getting Cisco's in the future there is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. Try calling in now and then to get a Cisco replacement. The worse thing they can say is "not yet".

104 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2008 10:46:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

If it is heat related maybe try a USB powered laptop cooler on top of the box. I use them on my DirecTv DVR's with good results.

If all goes well I'm switching to U-verse Friday and use one there also.

If it is heat related maybe try a USB powered laptop cooler on top of the box. I use them on my DirecTv DVR's with good results.

If all goes well I'm switching to U-verse Friday and use one there also.

105 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2008 11:27:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with you, number_17. If you are incapable of operating a Phillips screwdriver without stripping the screws and damaging the device, then you might be charged for a new DVR. If a five-piece jigsaw puzzle is your idea of a challenge, taking off the cover is probably not a good idea. If you have a cat that likes to nap on your combination DVR/heater, your cat would be in for a most unpleasant surprise. If you have a child that likes to stick forks into electrical appliances, you might find yourself one short in the next family head count. If you have an irresistible compulsion to run your tongue over a powered circuit board, then removing the cover is not the solution for you. If you store oil-soaked rags on top of your DVR, the absence of a cover will certainly increase your risk of fire. None of these are issues for me. I strongly urge anyone contemplating this approach to keep these considerations in mind.

I report only that removing the cover immediately solved my noise problem and that it is appropriate for my situation. To say outright that it does not work is false. Power cycling every five minutes is not a viable solution, even in the short term.

I agree with you, number_17. If you are incapable of operating a Phillips screwdriver without stripping the screws and damaging the device, then you might be charged for a new DVR. If a five-piece jigsaw puzzle is your idea of a challenge, taking off the cover is probably not a good idea. If you have a cat that likes to nap on your combination DVR/heater, your cat would be in for a most unpleasant surprise. If you have a child that likes to stick forks into electrical appliances, you might find yourself one short in the next family head count. If you have an irresistible compulsion to run your tongue over a powered circuit board, then removing the cover is not the solution for you. If you store oil-soaked rags on top of your DVR, the absence of a cover will certainly increase your risk of fire. None of these are issues for me. I strongly urge anyone contemplating this approach to keep these considerations in mind.

I report only that removing the cover immediately solved my noise problem and that it is appropriate for my situation. To say outright that it does not work is false. Power cycling every five minutes is not a viable solution, even in the short term.

106 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 4:47:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Seriously.  I wish people would stop saying it is the fan so positive that its the ONLY possible cause.  Maybe it was your fan...but its not mine, nor is it ERI3Ks either. 

Reminds me of a show my daughter watches, Dora, where the map sings "Im the map, Im the map" over and over...

Some of you sound the same, but say "Its the fan, its the fan, its the fan" etc...to music and everything...

ERI3K, thanks for the tip.  I may have to look into that if mine starts acting up again.  It was fine for a while, started with the noise, then stopped.  We shall see...

Seriously.  I wish people would stop saying it is the fan so positive that its the ONLY possible cause.  Maybe it was your fan...but its not mine, nor is it ERI3Ks either. 

Reminds me of a show my daughter watches, Dora, where the map sings "Im the map, Im the map" over and over...

Some of you sound the same, but say "Its the fan, its the fan, its the fan" etc...to music and everything...

ERI3K, thanks for the tip.  I may have to look into that if mine starts acting up again.  It was fine for a while, started with the noise, then stopped.  We shall see...

107 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 6:06:02 AM
(0)
Master

beginning to see a few posts where they set the dvr on one of these babies (usb powered)

just a thought

randy

beginning to see a few posts where they set the dvr on one of these babies (usb powered)

just a thought

randy

108 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 9:10:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
That's a Targus chill pad randy. I have one and it works great but it's a bit loud, better suited for a enclosure imo. I use Antec's out in the open. A bit more money but very quite.

That's a Targus chill pad randy. I have one and it works great but it's a bit loud, better suited for a enclosure imo. I use Antec's out in the open. A bit more money but very quite.

109 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 9:28:12 AM
(0)
Professor
I would think that there are two items in the chassis that would cause a high pitched noise and they both spin: the fan and the HDD

Where is the fan located in the chassis? Is it accessible from the outside through vent slots?
I would think that there are two items in the chassis that would cause a high pitched noise and they both spin: the fan and the HDD

Where is the fan located in the chassis? Is it accessible from the outside through vent slots?

110 of 139 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 9:37:10 AM
(0)
Master

looks to be underneath side  ox...  on moto

have not had the problem so really have not delved into this...

fwiw  btw the pic is just first one i came upon :smileyhappy:

randy

looks to be underneath side  ox...  on moto

have not had the problem so really have not delved into this...

fwiw  btw the pic is just first one i came upon :smileyhappy:

randy

111 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 9:49:56 AM
(0)
Professor

If accessible from the underside, it would be easy to figure out if it was the fan without cracking the lid.

Turn the DVR on its side and see if the noise continues
Locate the fan
Power down the DVR
Using a small wooden or plastic object (wooden skewer, plastic coffee straw, etc) poke it though the vent hole in the bottom of the STB to obstruct the spinning of the fan. DO NOT USE METAL
Power up the DVR
Does the high pitched noise begin?
Remove the straw/toothpick
Does the high pitched begin?

I would not recommend leaving the fan obstructed for more than 10-20 seconds, but that should be enough to get the info that you need. 

If accessible from the underside, it would be easy to figure out if it was the fan without cracking the lid.

Turn the DVR on its side and see if the noise continues
Locate the fan
Power down the DVR
Using a small wooden or plastic object (wooden skewer, plastic coffee straw, etc) poke it though the vent hole in the bottom of the STB to obstruct the spinning of the fan. DO NOT USE METAL
Power up the DVR
Does the high pitched noise begin?
Remove the straw/toothpick
Does the high pitched begin?

I would not recommend leaving the fan obstructed for more than 10-20 seconds, but that should be enough to get the info that you need. 

112 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2008 10:32:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Or you could just look at it to see if its even spinning...mine wasnt and the DVR was still making noise.\

Then of course if it is, you can try that trick. 

Or you could just look at it to see if its even spinning...mine wasnt and the DVR was still making noise.\

Then of course if it is, you can try that trick. 

113 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2008 5:49:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

I used an IR thermometer to take some temperature measurements of the DVR's processor:

1. With the case off and the DVR in sleep mode* the processor maintained a steady 143°F (62°C).

2. Restoring the case for 20 minutes caused the high-pitched noise to return. The processor temperature reached 173°F (78°C).

3. The noise faded to silence as the processor temperature dropped from 154°F through 151°F (68°C-66°C) after removing the case and allowing the device to passively cool.

4. At no point did the fan come on. So far as I can tell, the fan is entirely non-functional.

These results suggest to me that there is a correlation between processor temperature and the high-pitched noise. Whether the noise originates within the processor itself or the processor's waste heat changes the behavior of an adjacent component remains unclear.

On a related note, does anyone know what the maximum operating temperature is for the Sigma Designs SMP8634LF?

* The DVR was set to the recorded programs channel (9999) prior to going to sleep so there should have been no live signal being buffered. Once in sleep mode, the HDD powered down.

Message Edited by ERI3K on 08-29-2008 10:46 PM

I used an IR thermometer to take some temperature measurements of the DVR's processor:

1. With the case off and the DVR in sleep mode* the processor maintained a steady 143°F (62°C).

2. Restoring the case for 20 minutes caused the high-pitched noise to return. The processor temperature reached 173°F (78°C).

3. The noise faded to silence as the processor temperature dropped from 154°F through 151°F (68°C-66°C) after removing the case and allowing the device to passively cool.

4. At no point did the fan come on. So far as I can tell, the fan is entirely non-functional.

These results suggest to me that there is a correlation between processor temperature and the high-pitched noise. Whether the noise originates within the processor itself or the processor's waste heat changes the behavior of an adjacent component remains unclear.

On a related note, does anyone know what the maximum operating temperature is for the Sigma Designs SMP8634LF?

* The DVR was set to the recorded programs channel (9999) prior to going to sleep so there should have been no live signal being buffered. Once in sleep mode, the HDD powered down.

Message Edited by ERI3K on 08-29-2008 10:46 PM

114 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2008 9:21:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Eri3k, thanks for doing that. Very helpful, even if my problem is resolved.
Eri3k, thanks for doing that. Very helpful, even if my problem is resolved.

115 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2008 9:52:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

Motorola has a bad batch of dvrs and the big problem with them is the high pitch whine. The only work around from them is to swap the box. I don't know about putting it on its side. I have heard that isn't good for the hard drive. Also, covering any part of the dvr would prevent it from breathing and could cause it to overheat and you may need it swapped anyways.

Motorola has a bad batch of dvrs and the big problem with them is the high pitch whine. The only work around from them is to swap the box. I don't know about putting it on its side. I have heard that isn't good for the hard drive. Also, covering any part of the dvr would prevent it from breathing and could cause it to overheat and you may need it swapped anyways.

116 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2008 10:13:10 AM
(0)
Master
Message Edited by randyl on 12-02-2008 08:16 AM
Message Edited by randyl on 12-02-2008 08:16 AM

117 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 9:10:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Alright, 117 plus comments - I have switched mine out 3x and while the Att guy is very cute, I am frankly getting tired of seeing him in my house at 8AM on a Saturday (because that is just way too much cleaning and being friendly on a weekend at 8AM!)

So please for the love of all that is good or evil I don't care, what is the solution to stopping that darn noise! I am beginning to think I am Tony Randall doing a commerical for Tinnitus.:smileytongue:

Alright, 117 plus comments - I have switched mine out 3x and while the Att guy is very cute, I am frankly getting tired of seeing him in my house at 8AM on a Saturday (because that is just way too much cleaning and being friendly on a weekend at 8AM!)

So please for the love of all that is good or evil I don't care, what is the solution to stopping that darn noise! I am beginning to think I am Tony Randall doing a commerical for Tinnitus.:smileytongue:

High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

118 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 9:27:56 PM
(0)
Master

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=4317

I know, it's a very long thread, but read through it. It seems to be a heat (fan) issue. If your unit is in an enclosed area, you might want to get it out of there, perhaps stand it on it's side to give it some breathing room also. :smileywink:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=4317

I know, it's a very long thread, but read through it. It seems to be a heat (fan) issue. If your unit is in an enclosed area, you might want to get it out of there, perhaps stand it on it's side to give it some breathing room also. :smileywink:

Re: High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

119 of 139 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2008 6:37:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

unscrew the 3 screws on the back, slide the cover off, unplug the fan that is under the HD.  This 4th DVR box I decided to fix myself with advice from this site and since the ATT guys cannot. Day 2 of the fix and no more noise and no other heat related problems.

BTW, concerning the standing on side hurts the HD, that is not true.  it is just a standard computer HD that are used in applications with flat and edge installations. 

I am now after a week finally enjoying my U-verse system.  Thanks for all the advice on this site. 

Message Edited by seadoodude1 on 12-02-2008 08:46 PM

unscrew the 3 screws on the back, slide the cover off, unplug the fan that is under the HD.  This 4th DVR box I decided to fix myself with advice from this site and since the ATT guys cannot. Day 2 of the fix and no more noise and no other heat related problems.

BTW, concerning the standing on side hurts the HD, that is not true.  it is just a standard computer HD that are used in applications with flat and edge installations. 

I am now after a week finally enjoying my U-verse system.  Thanks for all the advice on this site. 

Message Edited by seadoodude1 on 12-02-2008 08:46 PM

Re: High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

120 of 139 (515 Views)