Explore & discover

Helpful Links

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Tags (4)
Message 1 of 139
Contributor

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I agree with you, number_17. If you are incapable of operating a Phillips screwdriver without stripping the screws and damaging the device, then you might be charged for a new DVR. If a five-piece jigsaw puzzle is your idea of a challenge, taking off the cover is probably not a good idea. If you have a cat that likes to nap on your combination DVR/heater, your cat would be in for a most unpleasant surprise. If you have a child that likes to stick forks into electrical appliances, you might find yourself one short in the next family head count. If you have an irresistible compulsion to run your tongue over a powered circuit board, then removing the cover is not the solution for you. If you store oil-soaked rags on top of your DVR, the absence of a cover will certainly increase your risk of fire. None of these are issues for me. I strongly urge anyone contemplating this approach to keep these considerations in mind.

I report only that removing the cover immediately solved my noise problem and that it is appropriate for my situation. To say outright that it does not work is false. Power cycling every five minutes is not a viable solution, even in the short term.

Message 106 of 139
Teacher

Seriously.  I wish people would stop saying it is the fan so positive that its the ONLY possible cause.  Maybe it was your fan...but its not mine, nor is it ERI3Ks either. 

Reminds me of a show my daughter watches, Dora, where the map sings "Im the map, Im the map" over and over...

Some of you sound the same, but say "Its the fan, its the fan, its the fan" etc...to music and everything...

ERI3K, thanks for the tip.  I may have to look into that if mine starts acting up again.  It was fine for a while, started with the noise, then stopped.  We shall see...

Message 107 of 139
Master

beginning to see a few posts where they set the dvr on one of these babies (usb powered)

just a thought

randy

Message 108 of 139
Scholar

That's a Targus chill pad randy. I have one and it works great but it's a bit loud, better suited for a enclosure imo. I use Antec's out in the open. A bit more money but very quite.

Message 109 of 139
Professor

I would think that there are two items in the chassis that would cause a high pitched noise and they both spin: the fan and the HDD

Where is the fan located in the chassis? Is it accessible from the outside through vent slots?
Message 110 of 139
Master

looks to be underneath side  ox...  on moto

have not had the problem so really have not delved into this...

fwiw  btw the pic is just first one i came upon :smileyhappy:

randy

Message 111 of 139
Professor

If accessible from the underside, it would be easy to figure out if it was the fan without cracking the lid.

Turn the DVR on its side and see if the noise continues
Locate the fan
Power down the DVR
Using a small wooden or plastic object (wooden skewer, plastic coffee straw, etc) poke it though the vent hole in the bottom of the STB to obstruct the spinning of the fan. DO NOT USE METAL
Power up the DVR
Does the high pitched noise begin?
Remove the straw/toothpick
Does the high pitched begin?

I would not recommend leaving the fan obstructed for more than 10-20 seconds, but that should be enough to get the info that you need. 

Message 112 of 139
Teacher

Or you could just look at it to see if its even spinning...mine wasnt and the DVR was still making noise.\

Then of course if it is, you can try that trick. 

Message 113 of 139
Contributor

I used an IR thermometer to take some temperature measurements of the DVR's processor:

1. With the case off and the DVR in sleep mode* the processor maintained a steady 143°F (62°C).

2. Restoring the case for 20 minutes caused the high-pitched noise to return. The processor temperature reached 173°F (78°C).

3. The noise faded to silence as the processor temperature dropped from 154°F through 151°F (68°C-66°C) after removing the case and allowing the device to passively cool.

4. At no point did the fan come on. So far as I can tell, the fan is entirely non-functional.

These results suggest to me that there is a correlation between processor temperature and the high-pitched noise. Whether the noise originates within the processor itself or the processor's waste heat changes the behavior of an adjacent component remains unclear.

On a related note, does anyone know what the maximum operating temperature is for the Sigma Designs SMP8634LF?

* The DVR was set to the recorded programs channel (9999) prior to going to sleep so there should have been no live signal being buffered. Once in sleep mode, the HDD powered down.

Message Edited by ERI3K on 08-29-2008 10:46 PM
Message 114 of 139
Mentor

Eri3k, thanks for doing that. Very helpful, even if my problem is resolved.
Message 115 of 139
Mentor

Motorola has a bad batch of dvrs and the big problem with them is the high pitch whine. The only work around from them is to swap the box. I don't know about putting it on its side. I have heard that isn't good for the hard drive. Also, covering any part of the dvr would prevent it from breathing and could cause it to overheat and you may need it swapped anyways.

Message 116 of 139
Master

Message Edited by randyl on 12-02-2008 08:16 AM
Message 117 of 139
Contributor

High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

Alright, 117 plus comments - I have switched mine out 3x and while the Att guy is very cute, I am frankly getting tired of seeing him in my house at 8AM on a Saturday (because that is just way too much cleaning and being friendly on a weekend at 8AM!)

So please for the love of all that is good or evil I don't care, what is the solution to stopping that darn noise! I am beginning to think I am Tony Randall doing a commerical for Tinnitus.:smileytongue:

Message 118 of 139
Master

Re: High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=4317

I know, it's a very long thread, but read through it. It seems to be a heat (fan) issue. If your unit is in an enclosed area, you might want to get it out of there, perhaps stand it on it's side to give it some breathing room also. :smileywink:

Message 119 of 139
Teacher

Re: High Pitch Noise so what is the answer

unscrew the 3 screws on the back, slide the cover off, unplug the fan that is under the HD.  This 4th DVR box I decided to fix myself with advice from this site and since the ATT guys cannot. Day 2 of the fix and no more noise and no other heat related problems.

BTW, concerning the standing on side hurts the HD, that is not true.  it is just a standard computer HD that are used in applications with flat and edge installations. 

I am now after a week finally enjoying my U-verse system.  Thanks for all the advice on this site. 

Message Edited by seadoodude1 on 12-02-2008 08:46 PM
Message 120 of 139
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support