Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 8, 2008
3:48:17 PM
View profile
High Pitch noise driving me crazy!
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

138 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(138)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 11:30:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

I dont know what the deal is, but my guess is that they switched hard drive manufacturers or model numbers...

Do you happen to have any info on which drive is in yours? 

I am going to put it in the basement tonight and bring that receiver upstairs and see what happens.  If it is related to the home theater that will end the issue, but since the DVR is above the TV in the entertainment center, and the receiver is below it, I dont think thats it...but at this point, Id be willing to turn it upside down at an 18 degree angle if that will stop it. 

Its a big pain to switch back, and while I would like to think this issue will get solved, it really doesnt seem like it will any time soon, so I may have to.  But before I do, I will try the move, and a few other things, and maybe another call for another DVR...but Im running out of patience.

I dont know what the deal is, but my guess is that they switched hard drive manufacturers or model numbers...

Do you happen to have any info on which drive is in yours? 

I am going to put it in the basement tonight and bring that receiver upstairs and see what happens.  If it is related to the home theater that will end the issue, but since the DVR is above the TV in the entertainment center, and the receiver is below it, I dont think thats it...but at this point, Id be willing to turn it upside down at an 18 degree angle if that will stop it. 

Its a big pain to switch back, and while I would like to think this issue will get solved, it really doesnt seem like it will any time soon, so I may have to.  But before I do, I will try the move, and a few other things, and maybe another call for another DVR...but Im running out of patience.

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

31 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 11:40:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I don't know about any of the components in my dvr stb.  I know is seems like AT&T/Moto aren't trying to resolve this problem, but it is happening with more and more frequency.  I am sure that they are getting more complaints about this noise from people who don't post here so they can't just ignore it.  Before you switch back I would suggest giving it a little more time to see if/when they do something about it.  I hope one of the things you try will work out until they finally get around to solving this problem.
I don't know about any of the components in my dvr stb.  I know is seems like AT&T/Moto aren't trying to resolve this problem, but it is happening with more and more frequency.  I am sure that they are getting more complaints about this noise from people who don't post here so they can't just ignore it.  Before you switch back I would suggest giving it a little more time to see if/when they do something about it.  I hope one of the things you try will work out until they finally get around to solving this problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 11:51:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I really hope it does, and Id like to give it time, but I am (and my wife) frustrated.  We are happy with the actual service, ie, internet, tv, and phone operation, its just that it is accompanied by a REALLY annoying sound...

I am guessing the quick fix is just to move it.  Then bug the ever loving crap out of them until they get it resolved...

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I really hope it does, and Id like to give it time, but I am (and my wife) frustrated.  We are happy with the actual service, ie, internet, tv, and phone operation, its just that it is accompanied by a REALLY annoying sound...

I am guessing the quick fix is just to move it.  Then bug the ever loving crap out of them until they get it resolved...

33 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 11:57:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Lodogg2221 wrote:

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I wasn't making a joke but when I typed it I did think that was an odd word to use.  Just couldn't think of a better one.

I understand about the frustration.

Lodogg2221 wrote:

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I wasn't making a joke but when I typed it I did think that was an odd word to use.  Just couldn't think of a better one.

I understand about the frustration.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

34 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 5:46:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just got off the phone with tech support. Offered to switch my DVR. Acknowledged they switch a lot of boxes, but stated that most people have no problem. Tech went on hold to find out if Cisco boxes were scheduled for the San Diego area, but they aren't yet. Tech said that doesn't mean they won't be, or won't be soon, but just no information as yet.

Offered to set up a switch on Sunday. Then I realized that all of the customizing I've done "hiding channels" and the many recorded shows would be lost, so have delayed the box switch until I can reduce the "recorded shows" that I'd lose.

Frustrated, especially with the reality that so many have had to have multiple box switching.

DETAIL: My box is sitting on my DVD player, and on a shelf underneath a conventional TV. No home theatre set up. 

QUESTION: My high pitch noise happens each night, but without warning, and only at some point (not all the time.) Is this consistent with the collective experience? 

Just got off the phone with tech support. Offered to switch my DVR. Acknowledged they switch a lot of boxes, but stated that most people have no problem. Tech went on hold to find out if Cisco boxes were scheduled for the San Diego area, but they aren't yet. Tech said that doesn't mean they won't be, or won't be soon, but just no information as yet.

Offered to set up a switch on Sunday. Then I realized that all of the customizing I've done "hiding channels" and the many recorded shows would be lost, so have delayed the box switch until I can reduce the "recorded shows" that I'd lose.

Frustrated, especially with the reality that so many have had to have multiple box switching.

DETAIL: My box is sitting on my DVD player, and on a shelf underneath a conventional TV. No home theatre set up. 

QUESTION: My high pitch noise happens each night, but without warning, and only at some point (not all the time.) Is this consistent with the collective experience? 

35 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 5:57:00 PM
(0)
Professor
It may have to do with temperature. Is there a cooler location you can move it to as an experiment to see if it stops? Or the next time it happens, very carefully tilt the DVR up a bit and check to see if the fan is spinning at the bottom.
Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 08-01-2008 09:00 PM
It may have to do with temperature. Is there a cooler location you can move it to as an experiment to see if it stops? Or the next time it happens, very carefully tilt the DVR up a bit and check to see if the fan is spinning at the bottom.
Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 08-01-2008 09:00 PM

36 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 6:04:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Solved it!!! I put in earplugs so I can't hear anything. Of course, now I can only watch silent movies. 
Solved it!!! I put in earplugs so I can't hear anything. Of course, now I can only watch silent movies. 

37 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 6:09:22 PM
(0)
Master

chamlin wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, at least you have a sense of humor! :smileyhappy:

chamlin wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, at least you have a sense of humor! :smileyhappy:

38 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 7:42:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

Okay, but seriously folks:

Q. #1:  Are most people having the high pitch noise intermittently as I am?

Q. #2:  How many of you had the problem completely solved by getting a new box?

Thanks! 

Okay, but seriously folks:

Q. #1:  Are most people having the high pitch noise intermittently as I am?

Q. #2:  How many of you had the problem completely solved by getting a new box?

Thanks! 

39 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 7:57:17 PM
(0)
Professor
I;ve never had a high pitched noise. But I've had my DVR since January 07. So it makes we wonder if AT&T changed parts since then?
I;ve never had a high pitched noise. But I've had my DVR since January 07. So it makes we wonder if AT&T changed parts since then?

40 of 139 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 8:17:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine is intermittant as to when it starts making the noise, but once it starts, it doesnt stop until its shut off for a while. 

Tomorrow will be moving around day...I plan to try a few things to see if I can quiet it down...

BTW, its too bad there isnt more room in the box around the HD...they make quiet cases for computer HDs (same thing) that totally enclose the hard drive and completely silence it.  They are basically a big heat sink all around so they dont overheat...too bad you cant fit one in there, as that would solve the trouble! 

Mine is intermittant as to when it starts making the noise, but once it starts, it doesnt stop until its shut off for a while. 

Tomorrow will be moving around day...I plan to try a few things to see if I can quiet it down...

BTW, its too bad there isnt more room in the box around the HD...they make quiet cases for computer HDs (same thing) that totally enclose the hard drive and completely silence it.  They are basically a big heat sink all around so they dont overheat...too bad you cant fit one in there, as that would solve the trouble! 

41 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 9:25:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uturnaroun wrote:

That is something that I eluded to in an earlier post.  I haven't seen or heard of anyone who got the service before January of this year (or at least said they got the service before then) complain about the high pitch whine.  In an effort to cut the cost on the producing of the newer dvrs, is there a change in the materials used to construct the new dvrs?  And if so is likely that the newer materials are whats causing the high pitch whine?

Uturnaroun wrote:

That is something that I eluded to in an earlier post.  I haven't seen or heard of anyone who got the service before January of this year (or at least said they got the service before then) complain about the high pitch whine.  In an effort to cut the cost on the producing of the newer dvrs, is there a change in the materials used to construct the new dvrs?  And if so is likely that the newer materials are whats causing the high pitch whine?

42 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 11:07:31 AM
(0)
Professor
It may not necessarily be a cost cutting move, but just parts sourced from a different supplier or a bad lot from the original supplier.
It may not necessarily be a cost cutting move, but just parts sourced from a different supplier or a bad lot from the original supplier.

43 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 1:52:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I know ATT hasn't officially said that they know why this problem exists, but I have to believe that they are quietly (even though it shouldn't be) working on a solution to solve this problem.  And then they have to come up with a way to implement the fix so that people who don't have the problem won't say they do just to get a free dvr or whatever ATT comes up with.  ATT is getting to be known for making a fix or adding a service and not announce that they are working on it.  Even though we see 10's of posts here complaining about a specific issue.  Like the hd streams.  Some people dumped the service and many others complained to a great degree and even though ATT said there would be more streams I don't recall any statements that they were actually working on rolling out the 2nd stream when they did.  It may be that the reason the Cisco boxes haven't been given out on a wider scale is because they may be planning to give them to the people who are experiencing this problem and have had techs come out and swap out dvrs in the past.  IMHO
I know ATT hasn't officially said that they know why this problem exists, but I have to believe that they are quietly (even though it shouldn't be) working on a solution to solve this problem.  And then they have to come up with a way to implement the fix so that people who don't have the problem won't say they do just to get a free dvr or whatever ATT comes up with.  ATT is getting to be known for making a fix or adding a service and not announce that they are working on it.  Even though we see 10's of posts here complaining about a specific issue.  Like the hd streams.  Some people dumped the service and many others complained to a great degree and even though ATT said there would be more streams I don't recall any statements that they were actually working on rolling out the 2nd stream when they did.  It may be that the reason the Cisco boxes haven't been given out on a wider scale is because they may be planning to give them to the people who are experiencing this problem and have had techs come out and swap out dvrs in the past.  IMHO

44 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 2:08:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
My 2nd tier tech support person on the phone said Cisco's were available but only in some areas. Not "yet" available in San Diego.
My 2nd tier tech support person on the phone said Cisco's were available but only in some areas. Not "yet" available in San Diego.

45 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 3:33:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I saw a post in another thread that somebody said they checked about the Cisco boxes and were told they aren't available to every area yet.  And that is part of the point I was making.  They say they aren't available yet but they don't say how soon they will get them to every area and who will get them first when they start being released in every area.
I saw a post in another thread that somebody said they checked about the Cisco boxes and were told they aren't available to every area yet.  And that is part of the point I was making.  They say they aren't available yet but they don't say how soon they will get them to every area and who will get them first when they start being released in every area.

46 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 3:40:28 PM
(0)
Master

my take is ::::  they will not be in every market...

my 2 ¢

Message Edited by randyl on 08-02-2008 05:40 PM

my take is ::::  they will not be in every market...

my 2 ¢

Message Edited by randyl on 08-02-2008 05:40 PM

47 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 3:47:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Why do you think that?
Why do you think that?

48 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 7:58:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Decided to get my box replaced and am scheduled for Sunday, 2pm - 4pm PDT. Will advise on results. I think I may do some hypnosis on the new Motorola box and see if I can get it to believe it is a Cisco, and act accordingly.
Decided to get my box replaced and am scheduled for Sunday, 2pm - 4pm PDT. Will advise on results. I think I may do some hypnosis on the new Motorola box and see if I can get it to believe it is a Cisco, and act accordingly.

49 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 8:01:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Hopefully when the tech comes he cn hear the whine coming from the box.  If he does let us know becuse you will be the first person to post that a tech heard the whine.
Hopefully when the tech comes he cn hear the whine coming from the box.  If he does let us know becuse you will be the first person to post that a tech heard the whine.

50 of 139 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2008 8:33:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
Okay, I'll have my wife watch before he comes. It always starts when she watches. :smileyhappy:
Okay, I'll have my wife watch before he comes. It always starts when she watches. :smileyhappy:

51 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 11:13:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

I had 3 techs hear it...

Also, tech came today to fix internet issue (couldnt connect either wireless or ethernet), and DVR noise issue. 

Fixed the internet issue, needed a new gateway.  Also swapped DVRs and power supplies, and installed it in a different location.  So far no noise.  Not convinced its location as the old noisy DVR was where the new one is now and was still making the same noise it was upstairs...maybe I got a good one finally! 

Anyway, so far so good.  Also, Cisco boxes are in Illinois, so Im sure Indiana isnt too far off.  I guess if I have any more trouble I will continue to request Cisco...and you all should do the same.  Im sure they wont switch unless they know it will fix the problems.  

I had 3 techs hear it...

Also, tech came today to fix internet issue (couldnt connect either wireless or ethernet), and DVR noise issue. 

Fixed the internet issue, needed a new gateway.  Also swapped DVRs and power supplies, and installed it in a different location.  So far no noise.  Not convinced its location as the old noisy DVR was where the new one is now and was still making the same noise it was upstairs...maybe I got a good one finally! 

Anyway, so far so good.  Also, Cisco boxes are in Illinois, so Im sure Indiana isnt too far off.  I guess if I have any more trouble I will continue to request Cisco...and you all should do the same.  Im sure they wont switch unless they know it will fix the problems.  

52 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 11:16:38 AM
(0)
Master

Il market started out with cisco  i think ??

my take

randy

Il market started out with cisco  i think ??

my take

randy

53 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:40:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

Setup:

A.  TV on a particle board stand 

B.  On a lower shelf, the Motorola box sits on top of my DVD player.

C.  No other gear on or near. 

Protocol:

1.  No equipment on for hours. No high pitch noise.

2.  Turned on Motorola box. Left TV on for 4 to 6 hours. No high pitch noise.

3.  Turned on DVD player and played a DVD. No high pitch noise...for the first hour.

4.  After an hour, the high pitch noise started. 

To be determined:

• Is the issue the proximity to the DVD player due to "heat"?
  • Is the issue some weird electronic disharmony?
  • Both?

I'll let the tech hear the noise today. Switch the box. Leave it set up the same way. If the problem persists, I'll move the DVD away and see if that handles the issue. Wish I could try that now so I don't have to set up the remote and favorites again, as well as lose some recordings I'd like to retain. But alas... 

Setup:

A.  TV on a particle board stand 

B.  On a lower shelf, the Motorola box sits on top of my DVD player.

C.  No other gear on or near. 

Protocol:

1.  No equipment on for hours. No high pitch noise.

2.  Turned on Motorola box. Left TV on for 4 to 6 hours. No high pitch noise.

3.  Turned on DVD player and played a DVD. No high pitch noise...for the first hour.

4.  After an hour, the high pitch noise started. 

To be determined:

• Both?

I'll let the tech hear the noise today. Switch the box. Leave it set up the same way. If the problem persists, I'll move the DVD away and see if that handles the issue. Wish I could try that now so I don't have to set up the remote and favorites again, as well as lose some recordings I'd like to retain. But alas... 

Re: Possible Clue in My Case

54 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:56:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

"To be determined:

• Both?"

Since the noise has been pretty  much  pinpointed to the cooling fan in the STB (per other posts) and you added heat by

turning on the dvd and the high pitch noise then ensued you have quite conclusivly determined that the

cooling fan is the source and temperature is the cause imho.

Suggestion: try getting some space between the boxes, maybe some spacers that the dvd rests on will

allow convection air flow to remove some heat generated by the dvd. It is hardly ever a good idea to stack

one piece of electronic gear on top of another unless they were specifically designed for that arrangement.

Message Edited by noeck1c on 08-03-2008 03:04 PM

"To be determined:

• Both?"

Since the noise has been pretty  much  pinpointed to the cooling fan in the STB (per other posts) and you added heat by

turning on the dvd and the high pitch noise then ensued you have quite conclusivly determined that the

cooling fan is the source and temperature is the cause imho.

Suggestion: try getting some space between the boxes, maybe some spacers that the dvd rests on will

allow convection air flow to remove some heat generated by the dvd. It is hardly ever a good idea to stack

one piece of electronic gear on top of another unless they were specifically designed for that arrangement.

Message Edited by noeck1c on 08-03-2008 03:04 PM

55 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 1:02:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Looks like good ventilation for the electronics could solve the problem, but always consider YRMV.
Looks like good ventilation for the electronics could solve the problem, but always consider YRMV.

56 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 3:56:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

I wish people would quit saying its the cooling fan.  Really.  Others may have had the cooling fan making noise, but mine, and a few others were the hard drive.  One of the techs that replaced my DVR even said they knew it was that on 2 others they had done that day. 

Anyway, it could be interference from other components.  Or it could just be a bad DVR. Regardless, who has a DVR and doesnt have DVD player?  Im sure there are a few, but for the most part, home theaters are pretty common place, and DVD players moreso.  If they dont work well together, its a DVR problem. 

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

I wish people would quit saying its the cooling fan.  Really.  Others may have had the cooling fan making noise, but mine, and a few others were the hard drive.  One of the techs that replaced my DVR even said they knew it was that on 2 others they had done that day. 

Anyway, it could be interference from other components.  Or it could just be a bad DVR. Regardless, who has a DVR and doesnt have DVD player?  Im sure there are a few, but for the most part, home theaters are pretty common place, and DVD players moreso.  If they dont work well together, its a DVR problem. 

57 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 8:52:53 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't have a DVD player but have noise.  My U-verse STB sits very far away from other components.  

I heard the high pitch noise for the first time shortly after turning the box on early in the morning.  Box was pretty cool at the time.   It comes and goes pretty inexplicably.

Message Edited by djrobx on 08-03-2008 08:53 PM

I don't have a DVD player but have noise.  My U-verse STB sits very far away from other components.  

I heard the high pitch noise for the first time shortly after turning the box on early in the morning.  Box was pretty cool at the time.   It comes and goes pretty inexplicably.

Message Edited by djrobx on 08-03-2008 08:53 PM

58 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 9:42:43 PM
(0)
Professor

Lodogg2221 wrote:

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

What brand of HDD does your DVR have? If look into the top of the DVR, you will see the hard drive in the lower right corner but mounted high enough to read parts of the label. Can you make out a brand on the label?

FYI, mine is a Seagate.

Lodogg2221 wrote:

NOT JUST COOLING FAN!!!

What brand of HDD does your DVR have? If look into the top of the DVR, you will see the hard drive in the lower right corner but mounted high enough to read parts of the label. Can you make out a brand on the label?

FYI, mine is a Seagate.

59 of 139 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2008 4:47:17 AM
(0)
Teacher
I should have checked before they took the last bad one...the one I currently have doesnt make noise...
I should have checked before they took the last bad one...the one I currently have doesnt make noise...

60 of 139 (767 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments