High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Tags (4)
Message 1 of 139
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I dont know what the deal is, but my guess is that they switched hard drive manufacturers or model numbers...

Do you happen to have any info on which drive is in yours? 

I am going to put it in the basement tonight and bring that receiver upstairs and see what happens.  If it is related to the home theater that will end the issue, but since the DVR is above the TV in the entertainment center, and the receiver is below it, I dont think thats it...but at this point, Id be willing to turn it upside down at an 18 degree angle if that will stop it. 

Its a big pain to switch back, and while I would like to think this issue will get solved, it really doesnt seem like it will any time soon, so I may have to.  But before I do, I will try the move, and a few other things, and maybe another call for another DVR...but Im running out of patience.

Tags (4)
Message 31 of 139
Expert

I don't know about any of the components in my dvr stb.  I know is seems like AT&T/Moto aren't trying to resolve this problem, but it is happening with more and more frequency.  I am sure that they are getting more complaints about this noise from people who don't post here so they can't just ignore it.  Before you switch back I would suggest giving it a little more time to see if/when they do something about it.  I hope one of the things you try will work out until they finally get around to solving this problem.
Message 32 of 139
Teacher

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I really hope it does, and Id like to give it time, but I am (and my wife) frustrated.  We are happy with the actual service, ie, internet, tv, and phone operation, its just that it is accompanied by a REALLY annoying sound...

I am guessing the quick fix is just to move it.  Then bug the ever loving crap out of them until they get it resolved...

Message 33 of 139
Expert

Lodogg2221 wrote:

FREQUENCY!  HA! 

I really hope it does, and Id like to give it time, but I am (and my wife) frustrated.  We are happy with the actual service, ie, internet, tv, and phone operation, its just that it is accompanied by a REALLY annoying sound...

I am guessing the quick fix is just to move it.  Then bug the ever loving crap out of them until they get it resolved...

I wasn't making a joke but when I typed it I did think that was an odd word to use.  Just couldn't think of a better one.

I understand about the frustration.

Message 34 of 139
Mentor

Just got off the phone with tech support. Offered to switch my DVR. Acknowledged they switch a lot of boxes, but stated that most people have no problem. Tech went on hold to find out if Cisco boxes were scheduled for the San Diego area, but they aren't yet. Tech said that doesn't mean they won't be, or won't be soon, but just no information as yet.

Offered to set up a switch on Sunday. Then I realized that all of the customizing I've done "hiding channels" and the many recorded shows would be lost, so have delayed the box switch until I can reduce the "recorded shows" that I'd lose.

Frustrated, especially with the reality that so many have had to have multiple box switching.

DETAIL: My box is sitting on my DVD player, and on a shelf underneath a conventional TV. No home theatre set up. 

QUESTION: My high pitch noise happens each night, but without warning, and only at some point (not all the time.) Is this consistent with the collective experience? 

Message 35 of 139
Professor

It may have to do with temperature. Is there a cooler location you can move it to as an experiment to see if it stops? Or the next time it happens, very carefully tilt the DVR up a bit and check to see if the fan is spinning at the bottom.
Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 08-01-2008 09:00 PM
Message 36 of 139
Mentor

Solved it!!! I put in earplugs so I can't hear anything. Of course, now I can only watch silent movies. 
Message 37 of 139
Master

chamlin wrote:
Solved it!!! I put in earplugs so I can't hear anything. Of course, now I can only watch silent movies. 

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, at least you have a sense of humor! :smileyhappy:

Message 38 of 139
Mentor

Okay, but seriously folks:

Q. #1:  Are most people having the high pitch noise intermittently as I am?

Q. #2:  How many of you had the problem completely solved by getting a new box?

Thanks! 

Message 39 of 139
Professor

I;ve never had a high pitched noise. But I've had my DVR since January 07. So it makes we wonder if AT&T changed parts since then?
Message 40 of 139
Teacher

Mine is intermittant as to when it starts making the noise, but once it starts, it doesnt stop until its shut off for a while. 

Tomorrow will be moving around day...I plan to try a few things to see if I can quiet it down...

BTW, its too bad there isnt more room in the box around the HD...they make quiet cases for computer HDs (same thing) that totally enclose the hard drive and completely silence it.  They are basically a big heat sink all around so they dont overheat...too bad you cant fit one in there, as that would solve the trouble! 

Message 41 of 139
Expert

Uturnaroun wrote:
I;ve never had a high pitched noise. But I've had my DVR since January 07. So it makes we wonder if AT&T changed parts since then?

That is something that I eluded to in an earlier post.  I haven't seen or heard of anyone who got the service before January of this year (or at least said they got the service before then) complain about the high pitch whine.  In an effort to cut the cost on the producing of the newer dvrs, is there a change in the materials used to construct the new dvrs?  And if so is likely that the newer materials are whats causing the high pitch whine?

Message 42 of 139
Professor

It may not necessarily be a cost cutting move, but just parts sourced from a different supplier or a bad lot from the original supplier.
Message 43 of 139
Expert

I know ATT hasn't officially said that they know why this problem exists, but I have to believe that they are quietly (even though it shouldn't be) working on a solution to solve this problem.  And then they have to come up with a way to implement the fix so that people who don't have the problem won't say they do just to get a free dvr or whatever ATT comes up with.  ATT is getting to be known for making a fix or adding a service and not announce that they are working on it.  Even though we see 10's of posts here complaining about a specific issue.  Like the hd streams.  Some people dumped the service and many others complained to a great degree and even though ATT said there would be more streams I don't recall any statements that they were actually working on rolling out the 2nd stream when they did.  It may be that the reason the Cisco boxes haven't been given out on a wider scale is because they may be planning to give them to the people who are experiencing this problem and have had techs come out and swap out dvrs in the past.  IMHO
Message 44 of 139
Mentor

My 2nd tier tech support person on the phone said Cisco's were available but only in some areas. Not "yet" available in San Diego.
Message 45 of 139
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support