High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Message 1 of 139 (10,613 Views)
Master

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

While there are occasional posts made by some AT&T representatives, this is mainly a peer-to-peer forum.

tpopely wrote:
The only reason I posted the original message was in hope that someone from AT&T would read the thread! Who knows???

Message 16 of 139 (8,691 Views)
Teacher

Oh good. Maybe while making an "occasional post" someone from AT&T will see how frustrating this DVR situation is for the "peers." These "peers" might convince each other that switching back to Directv for DVRs that don't squeek is a good idea :smileyhappy:
Message 17 of 139 (8,691 Views)
Master

tpopely wrote:
Oh good. Maybe while making an "occasional post" someone from AT&T will see how frustrating this DVR situation is for the "peers." These "peers" might convince each other that switching back to Directv for DVRs that don't squeek is a good idea :smileyhappy:

Seems to be a very small percentage of you that are having that problem. Have you tried to move the DVR, as RC mentioned? It seems for some folks, location has been the problem. 

Message 18 of 139 (8,691 Views)
Mentor

Yup, I too have gotten that darn high squeal. Comes and goes. If it keeps doing this I'll try moving it, then replacing if necessary.

Hey, why am I a "visitor" instead of a "newbie"??? 

Message Edited by chamlin on 07-25-2008 09:55 PM
Message 19 of 139 (8,691 Views)
Teacher

According to the technician in Cleveland, there is a very high percentage of people having this problem. The Directv box never needed to be moved. Luckily my third DVR is still cooperating-no noise so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Message 20 of 139 (8,691 Views)
Master

tpopely wrote:
According to the technician in Cleveland, there is a very high percentage of people having this problem. The Directv box never needed to be moved. Luckily my third DVR is still cooperating-no noise so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Well, I guess Ox and I are lucky, being in the Cleveland area and not having any issues like that with our DVR's. And of course, that is only one tech's opinion and will all know to take a lot of what we hear from them, (the techs) with a grain of salt.

Possibly, it could be like the remote situation a while back. There was a batch of bad remotes. Could have happened with the DVR's too I guess.

chamlin, you want to go back to being a newbie? :smileyvery-happy: Your status depends basically on the number of posts that you have made. :smileywink:

Message 21 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Contributor

Pip wrote:

Seems to be a very small percentage of you that are having that problem. Have you tried to move the DVR, as RC mentioned? It seems for some folks, location has been the problem. 

Small percentage?? There's tons of posts on here, and i just logged on and registered to post my own issue of the high pitched noise. Everyone says that the Cisco boxes don't produce the noise. How do we get them if we have a Motorola box? It's driving me nuts!!

Message 22 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Professor

JTisMe wrote:

Pip wrote:

Small percentage?? There's tons of posts on here, and i just logged on and registered to post my own issue of the high pitched noise. Everyone says that the Cisco boxes don't produce the noise. How do we get them if we have a Motorola box? It's driving me nuts!!

But have you thought that this forum represents a small % of all Uverse customers. There are tons right now with no problems with moto boxes.

Message 23 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Teacher

I dont buy that, Ive had 3 in a row with the EXACT same noise.  And its not the fan, its the HD...

We will see if the next one does it...

Message 24 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Teacher

Just called them again, to have the squeeler replaced...

Guess what?  They are bringing Cisco boxes! 

I will let you all know what happens!

FYI, I did ask about a different box...mentioned I had Motorola, and he said they could try the Cisco stuff, so dont hesitate to ask for it if you have trouble...

Message 25 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Professor

That's good. Let us know how it goes and if the new Cisco is better than the Moto.
Message 26 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Teacher

Well, never mind on the Cisco box.  Not available here...tech said they never will be.  Said they are only used in the South...

Makes no sense to me, but they replaced my DVR again...and guess what?  Still makes noise. 

Ive just about had it with AT&Ts idiotic service.  If those boxes fix the problem, then they need to get them here in Indiana too.  I am going to give them one more chance, then Im going back to Direct TV...

I honestly can not believe a company would allow so many people to have this problem and not do more than they are to correct it.  Especially since its so new in this area, and so many people are asking me how I like it...what do they think I am going to say?  It sucks, service sucks, equipment sucks.  Internet is fine, phone fine, TV, yes I can watch it, but only in the bedroom or basement, not in the living room with the DVR or I have to put up with a noise that they just do not care to address correctly.  Not much point in a DVR if you cant stand the noise...

Message 27 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Teacher

Box #3 is still working well for me. I hope your next and last try works for you. I also hope mine keeps quiet! Good Luck. Also, I agree with you about the lack of concern on AT&T's part. U-verse is new in Ohio and I also have people asking me questions about it. My noisy DVR stories are always how I begin describing my experience thus far.
Message 28 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I've been experiencing the same high pitched noise from my Motorola DVR.  Had it replaced once (so far) and still making the same noise.  Very annoying. 

I live in San Jose so hope that having Cisco local would influence AT&T to swap out the Moto boxes for the Cisco.  It's absurd that Moto/AT&T would release a product with this issue...didn't they do any testing?

Message 29 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Expert

I got my Uverse service in December and I have never had the high pitched noise problem.  I have been wondering if there has been any changes in the components of the stbs that are causing more and more people to experience the high pitch?  Some people have reported moving the dvr stb away from the home theater system eliminated the noise, others said they got replacements, and others have said disconnecting the fan on the hard drive.  YRMV.  It isn't unheard of for lower cost components being used in hardware.  IMHO
Message 30 of 139 (8,164 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.