High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

Teacher

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
Message 1 of 139 (10,610 Views)
Scholar

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

I've have never heard any noise coming from the stbs/gateway. How far do you have to be to hear this noise?
Message 2 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Teacher

I hear it everywhere in my living room.
Message 3 of 139 (9,067 Views)

It's coming from the DVR.

Based on other posts I've read.. it appears to be the cooling fan causing the trouble.

The new Cisco boxes don't have cooling fans.. so as soon as they're available in my area.. I'm getting my Moto replaced.

Hopefully it'll correct the HDMI 5.1 audio issue as well.

Message 4 of 139 (9,067 Views)

We just got U-Verse a couple of months ago, along with a new TV and home theater system.  Our DVR box was interacting with te theater system that it was sitting on.  We just moved the box away from the theater system and I haven't heard the high pitch noise since.  Maybe if you have your box sitting on or next to a component, move it and see what happens?

Amanda

Message 5 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Scholar

We had the same thing happen within hours of installation.  We were told it was the hard drive in the DVR and the replacement STB w/DVR fixed the issue. 
Message 6 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Contributor

My experience with u-verse has been a nightmare.  I have had my DVR switched 6 times.  Each one has had a high pitched sound (on and off) to varying degrees.  I have gotten different versions as to why by AT&T.  Some tech's say they never heard of such a problem, one had just come from replacing one (didn't know what caused the issue), one said it happens when the DVR overheats.  Maybe it's just me and I have the hearing of a dog, but to roll out a product with such a fatal flaw is irresponsible.  Yes there are exceptional tech's.  Like the one who gave me his number and came back at ten o'clock at night to hear the high pitched sound, after coming by earlier in the day.  He had come earlier because my service (tv&phone) had gone down the night before (couldn't hear it then).

Yes, they were coming to my house like it was Lourdes.  The end came with DVR #6.  The tech was late, and in a hurry.  He swapped DVR's and was out quick.  He failed to check the picture quality which had seriously degraded.  A call to TIERII and another appointment was made.  Did I mention that the DVR began to hum while on the phone to them.  So now there is a really bad picture and a hum.  Can it get any better?  DVR #7 was installed.  And the tech said that was as good a picture as I was going to get.  I explained that the picture was not like this 2 days ago.  He did not care, and more or less said to live with it... and I quote: "you don't have a HD tv, so it's not going to be that great.  The last house I came from had a worse picture than this."  Well, I don't think I should see fuzzy faces and black pixels across the screen when someone is moving there arm.  I should at least be able to see the score of a baseball game without squinting at the screen.  He says "that's a classic sports channel"  I even tried windex, that wasn't the problem. 

So as you can understand I am pulling the plug with AT&T....completely.  I am going back to my old evil cable company.  At least they have properly trained support and have an established track record with me.  Another tech did call.  But I wasn't interested anymore.  He did say that the poor picture on tv and computer is probably due to the gateway or my distance from the monstrous AT&T box down the road.  No thanks, I don't want to swap gateways or any more DVR's.  I'll do the in-verse and re-vert to my old cable company.  So, I had a week without tv.  I get a headache if I look at it.  I hasn't been so bad.  Less time wasted flipping through the hundreds of channels.  You know what?  There is still nothing on.

Message 7 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Expert

Somebody should get fired or reprimanded heavily for that attitude! :smileymad:

Sorry things didn't work out, and you had no luck in getting a tech who knew what to do...to make it work. :smileysad:

Message 8 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Teacher

I had my DVR replaced, but the new one is making the same, annoying, high-pitch noise!
Message 9 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I am on DVR #11! All of them last 1 day to 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky. I don't know what to do. I had to get a set top box installed on top of my DVR so I can watch tv and not go crazy. Hopefully the new Cisco boxes come to my area soon and work.
Message 10 of 139 (9,067 Views)
Teacher

Well, DVR #3 was installed today. So far there is no noise. I'll let you know how it goes. The technician admitted that they need to use higher grade hard drives in their DVRs.
Message 11 of 139 (8,695 Views)
Teacher

Im on box number 3.  All have made the noise.  It is not the fan.  Ive checked, and the fan isnt even running when its making the noise, or at least not when Ive checked it...

This is rediculous! 

The last tech said that they are checking into the Cisco boxes, so hopefully that will solve the problem, but I am not going to put up with the noise much longer before I go back to Direct TV...

Message 12 of 139 (8,695 Views)
Expert

I remember reading a post that someone had to move the stb away from the television and that cleared up the problem. YRMV, but its something to try.
Message 13 of 139 (8,695 Views)
Teacher

How far away?  I cant go too far...

Guess I could try putting it in the bottom of my entertainment center. Right now its on the shelf right above the tv. 

I can tell its coming from the hard drive, so I dont think moving it will do anything, but Ill give it a try.  Cant be any worse. 

Do the people from AT&T actually read these boards? 

If so...WHERE ARE THE CISCO BOXES???

Message 14 of 139 (8,695 Views)
Teacher

The only reason I posted the original message was in hope that someone from AT&T would read the thread! Who knows???
Message 15 of 139 (8,695 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.