Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 8, 2008
3:48:17 PM
View profile
High Pitch noise driving me crazy!
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?
I see that I am not the only one who suffers from hearing a constant high-pitch noise coming from the U-verse box or gateway. The noise is constant when the box is on or off. I have reset the box several times but still have the noise. Any ideas for fixing it?

High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

138 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(138)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2008 3:49:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
I've have never heard any noise coming from the stbs/gateway. How far do you have to be to hear this noise?
I've have never heard any noise coming from the stbs/gateway. How far do you have to be to hear this noise?

Re: High Pitch noise driving me crazy!

2 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2008 4:01:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
I hear it everywhere in my living room.
I hear it everywhere in my living room.

3 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2008 6:44:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's coming from the DVR.

Based on other posts I've read.. it appears to be the cooling fan causing the trouble.

The new Cisco boxes don't have cooling fans.. so as soon as they're available in my area.. I'm getting my Moto replaced.

Hopefully it'll correct the HDMI 5.1 audio issue as well.

It's coming from the DVR.

Based on other posts I've read.. it appears to be the cooling fan causing the trouble.

The new Cisco boxes don't have cooling fans.. so as soon as they're available in my area.. I'm getting my Moto replaced.

Hopefully it'll correct the HDMI 5.1 audio issue as well.

4 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2008 10:45:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

We just got U-Verse a couple of months ago, along with a new TV and home theater system.  Our DVR box was interacting with te theater system that it was sitting on.  We just moved the box away from the theater system and I haven't heard the high pitch noise since.  Maybe if you have your box sitting on or next to a component, move it and see what happens?

Amanda

We just got U-Verse a couple of months ago, along with a new TV and home theater system.  Our DVR box was interacting with te theater system that it was sitting on.  We just moved the box away from the theater system and I haven't heard the high pitch noise since.  Maybe if you have your box sitting on or next to a component, move it and see what happens?

Amanda

5 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2008 11:05:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
We had the same thing happen within hours of installation.  We were told it was the hard drive in the DVR and the replacement STB w/DVR fixed the issue. 
We had the same thing happen within hours of installation.  We were told it was the hard drive in the DVR and the replacement STB w/DVR fixed the issue. 

6 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2008 12:03:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

My experience with u-verse has been a nightmare.  I have had my DVR switched 6 times.  Each one has had a high pitched sound (on and off) to varying degrees.  I have gotten different versions as to why by AT&T.  Some tech's say they never heard of such a problem, one had just come from replacing one (didn't know what caused the issue), one said it happens when the DVR overheats.  Maybe it's just me and I have the hearing of a dog, but to roll out a product with such a fatal flaw is irresponsible.  Yes there are exceptional tech's.  Like the one who gave me his number and came back at ten o'clock at night to hear the high pitched sound, after coming by earlier in the day.  He had come earlier because my service (tv&phone) had gone down the night before (couldn't hear it then).

Yes, they were coming to my house like it was Lourdes.  The end came with DVR #6.  The tech was late, and in a hurry.  He swapped DVR's and was out quick.  He failed to check the picture quality which had seriously degraded.  A call to TIERII and another appointment was made.  Did I mention that the DVR began to hum while on the phone to them.  So now there is a really bad picture and a hum.  Can it get any better?  DVR #7 was installed.  And the tech said that was as good a picture as I was going to get.  I explained that the picture was not like this 2 days ago.  He did not care, and more or less said to live with it... and I quote: "you don't have a HD tv, so it's not going to be that great.  The last house I came from had a worse picture than this."  Well, I don't think I should see fuzzy faces and black pixels across the screen when someone is moving there arm.  I should at least be able to see the score of a baseball game without squinting at the screen.  He says "that's a classic sports channel"  I even tried windex, that wasn't the problem. 

So as you can understand I am pulling the plug with AT&T....completely.  I am going back to my old evil cable company.  At least they have properly trained support and have an established track record with me.  Another tech did call.  But I wasn't interested anymore.  He did say that the poor picture on tv and computer is probably due to the gateway or my distance from the monstrous AT&T box down the road.  No thanks, I don't want to swap gateways or any more DVR's.  I'll do the in-verse and re-vert to my old cable company.  So, I had a week without tv.  I get a headache if I look at it.  I hasn't been so bad.  Less time wasted flipping through the hundreds of channels.  You know what?  There is still nothing on.

My experience with u-verse has been a nightmare.  I have had my DVR switched 6 times.  Each one has had a high pitched sound (on and off) to varying degrees.  I have gotten different versions as to why by AT&T.  Some tech's say they never heard of such a problem, one had just come from replacing one (didn't know what caused the issue), one said it happens when the DVR overheats.  Maybe it's just me and I have the hearing of a dog, but to roll out a product with such a fatal flaw is irresponsible.  Yes there are exceptional tech's.  Like the one who gave me his number and came back at ten o'clock at night to hear the high pitched sound, after coming by earlier in the day.  He had come earlier because my service (tv&phone) had gone down the night before (couldn't hear it then).

Yes, they were coming to my house like it was Lourdes.  The end came with DVR #6.  The tech was late, and in a hurry.  He swapped DVR's and was out quick.  He failed to check the picture quality which had seriously degraded.  A call to TIERII and another appointment was made.  Did I mention that the DVR began to hum while on the phone to them.  So now there is a really bad picture and a hum.  Can it get any better?  DVR #7 was installed.  And the tech said that was as good a picture as I was going to get.  I explained that the picture was not like this 2 days ago.  He did not care, and more or less said to live with it... and I quote: "you don't have a HD tv, so it's not going to be that great.  The last house I came from had a worse picture than this."  Well, I don't think I should see fuzzy faces and black pixels across the screen when someone is moving there arm.  I should at least be able to see the score of a baseball game without squinting at the screen.  He says "that's a classic sports channel"  I even tried windex, that wasn't the problem. 

So as you can understand I am pulling the plug with AT&T....completely.  I am going back to my old evil cable company.  At least they have properly trained support and have an established track record with me.  Another tech did call.  But I wasn't interested anymore.  He did say that the poor picture on tv and computer is probably due to the gateway or my distance from the monstrous AT&T box down the road.  No thanks, I don't want to swap gateways or any more DVR's.  I'll do the in-verse and re-vert to my old cable company.  So, I had a week without tv.  I get a headache if I look at it.  I hasn't been so bad.  Less time wasted flipping through the hundreds of channels.  You know what?  There is still nothing on.

7 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2008 12:07:59 PM
(0)
Expert

Somebody should get fired or reprimanded heavily for that attitude! :smileymad:

Sorry things didn't work out, and you had no luck in getting a tech who knew what to do...to make it work. :smileysad:

Somebody should get fired or reprimanded heavily for that attitude! :smileymad:

Sorry things didn't work out, and you had no luck in getting a tech who knew what to do...to make it work. :smileysad:

8 of 139 (8,590 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2008 3:29:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
I had my DVR replaced, but the new one is making the same, annoying, high-pitch noise!
I had my DVR replaced, but the new one is making the same, annoying, high-pitch noise!

9 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2008 6:39:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am on DVR #11! All of them last 1 day to 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky. I don't know what to do. I had to get a set top box installed on top of my DVR so I can watch tv and not go crazy. Hopefully the new Cisco boxes come to my area soon and work.
I am on DVR #11! All of them last 1 day to 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky. I don't know what to do. I had to get a set top box installed on top of my DVR so I can watch tv and not go crazy. Hopefully the new Cisco boxes come to my area soon and work.

10 of 139 (8,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2008 6:58:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well, DVR #3 was installed today. So far there is no noise. I'll let you know how it goes. The technician admitted that they need to use higher grade hard drives in their DVRs.
Well, DVR #3 was installed today. So far there is no noise. I'll let you know how it goes. The technician admitted that they need to use higher grade hard drives in their DVRs.

11 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2008 7:10:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

Im on box number 3.  All have made the noise.  It is not the fan.  Ive checked, and the fan isnt even running when its making the noise, or at least not when Ive checked it...

This is rediculous! 

The last tech said that they are checking into the Cisco boxes, so hopefully that will solve the problem, but I am not going to put up with the noise much longer before I go back to Direct TV...

Im on box number 3.  All have made the noise.  It is not the fan.  Ive checked, and the fan isnt even running when its making the noise, or at least not when Ive checked it...

This is rediculous! 

The last tech said that they are checking into the Cisco boxes, so hopefully that will solve the problem, but I am not going to put up with the noise much longer before I go back to Direct TV...

12 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 11:52:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I remember reading a post that someone had to move the stb away from the television and that cleared up the problem. YRMV, but its something to try.
I remember reading a post that someone had to move the stb away from the television and that cleared up the problem. YRMV, but its something to try.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 7:35:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

How far away?  I cant go too far...

Guess I could try putting it in the bottom of my entertainment center. Right now its on the shelf right above the tv. 

I can tell its coming from the hard drive, so I dont think moving it will do anything, but Ill give it a try.  Cant be any worse. 

Do the people from AT&T actually read these boards? 

If so...WHERE ARE THE CISCO BOXES???

How far away?  I cant go too far...

Guess I could try putting it in the bottom of my entertainment center. Right now its on the shelf right above the tv. 

I can tell its coming from the hard drive, so I dont think moving it will do anything, but Ill give it a try.  Cant be any worse. 

Do the people from AT&T actually read these boards? 

If so...WHERE ARE THE CISCO BOXES???

14 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 8:39:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
The only reason I posted the original message was in hope that someone from AT&T would read the thread! Who knows???
The only reason I posted the original message was in hope that someone from AT&T would read the thread! Who knows???

15 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 8:44:36 PM
(0)
Master
While there are occasional posts made by some AT&T representatives, this is mainly a peer-to-peer forum.

tpopely wrote:

While there are occasional posts made by some AT&T representatives, this is mainly a peer-to-peer forum.

tpopely wrote:

16 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 8:51:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
Oh good. Maybe while making an "occasional post" someone from AT&T will see how frustrating this DVR situation is for the "peers." These "peers" might convince each other that switching back to Directv for DVRs that don't squeek is a good idea :smileyhappy:
Oh good. Maybe while making an "occasional post" someone from AT&T will see how frustrating this DVR situation is for the "peers." These "peers" might convince each other that switching back to Directv for DVRs that don't squeek is a good idea :smileyhappy:

17 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 9:34:01 PM
(0)
Master

tpopely wrote:

Seems to be a very small percentage of you that are having that problem. Have you tried to move the DVR, as RC mentioned? It seems for some folks, location has been the problem. 

tpopely wrote:

Seems to be a very small percentage of you that are having that problem. Have you tried to move the DVR, as RC mentioned? It seems for some folks, location has been the problem. 

18 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 9:52:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yup, I too have gotten that darn high squeal. Comes and goes. If it keeps doing this I'll try moving it, then replacing if necessary.

Hey, why am I a "visitor" instead of a "newbie"??? 

Message Edited by chamlin on 07-25-2008 09:55 PM

Yup, I too have gotten that darn high squeal. Comes and goes. If it keeps doing this I'll try moving it, then replacing if necessary.

Hey, why am I a "visitor" instead of a "newbie"??? 

Message Edited by chamlin on 07-25-2008 09:55 PM

19 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 9:56:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
According to the technician in Cleveland, there is a very high percentage of people having this problem. The Directv box never needed to be moved. Luckily my third DVR is still cooperating-no noise so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
According to the technician in Cleveland, there is a very high percentage of people having this problem. The Directv box never needed to be moved. Luckily my third DVR is still cooperating-no noise so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

20 of 139 (8,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2008 11:08:39 PM
(0)
Master

tpopely wrote:

Well, I guess Ox and I are lucky, being in the Cleveland area and not having any issues like that with our DVR's. And of course, that is only one tech's opinion and will all know to take a lot of what we hear from them, (the techs) with a grain of salt.

Possibly, it could be like the remote situation a while back. There was a batch of bad remotes. Could have happened with the DVR's too I guess.

chamlin, you want to go back to being a newbie? :smileyvery-happy: Your status depends basically on the number of posts that you have made. :smileywink:

tpopely wrote:

Well, I guess Ox and I are lucky, being in the Cleveland area and not having any issues like that with our DVR's. And of course, that is only one tech's opinion and will all know to take a lot of what we hear from them, (the techs) with a grain of salt.

Possibly, it could be like the remote situation a while back. There was a batch of bad remotes. Could have happened with the DVR's too I guess.

chamlin, you want to go back to being a newbie? :smileyvery-happy: Your status depends basically on the number of posts that you have made. :smileywink:

21 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2008 6:57:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Pip wrote:

Small percentage?? There's tons of posts on here, and i just logged on and registered to post my own issue of the high pitched noise. Everyone says that the Cisco boxes don't produce the noise. How do we get them if we have a Motorola box? It's driving me nuts!!

Pip wrote:

Small percentage?? There's tons of posts on here, and i just logged on and registered to post my own issue of the high pitched noise. Everyone says that the Cisco boxes don't produce the noise. How do we get them if we have a Motorola box? It's driving me nuts!!

22 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2008 8:02:46 PM
(0)
Professor

JTisMe wrote:

Pip wrote:

But have you thought that this forum represents a small % of all Uverse customers. There are tons right now with no problems with moto boxes.

JTisMe wrote:

Pip wrote:

But have you thought that this forum represents a small % of all Uverse customers. There are tons right now with no problems with moto boxes.

23 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 8:22:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

I dont buy that, Ive had 3 in a row with the EXACT same noise.  And its not the fan, its the HD...

We will see if the next one does it...

I dont buy that, Ive had 3 in a row with the EXACT same noise.  And its not the fan, its the HD...

We will see if the next one does it...

24 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 8:54:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just called them again, to have the squeeler replaced...

Guess what?  They are bringing Cisco boxes! 

I will let you all know what happens!

FYI, I did ask about a different box...mentioned I had Motorola, and he said they could try the Cisco stuff, so dont hesitate to ask for it if you have trouble...

Just called them again, to have the squeeler replaced...

Guess what?  They are bringing Cisco boxes! 

I will let you all know what happens!

FYI, I did ask about a different box...mentioned I had Motorola, and he said they could try the Cisco stuff, so dont hesitate to ask for it if you have trouble...

25 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 10:29:53 AM
(0)
Professor
That's good. Let us know how it goes and if the new Cisco is better than the Moto.
That's good. Let us know how it goes and if the new Cisco is better than the Moto.

26 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 7:42:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well, never mind on the Cisco box.  Not available here...tech said they never will be.  Said they are only used in the South...

Makes no sense to me, but they replaced my DVR again...and guess what?  Still makes noise. 

Ive just about had it with AT&Ts idiotic service.  If those boxes fix the problem, then they need to get them here in Indiana too.  I am going to give them one more chance, then Im going back to Direct TV...

I honestly can not believe a company would allow so many people to have this problem and not do more than they are to correct it.  Especially since its so new in this area, and so many people are asking me how I like it...what do they think I am going to say?  It sucks, service sucks, equipment sucks.  Internet is fine, phone fine, TV, yes I can watch it, but only in the bedroom or basement, not in the living room with the DVR or I have to put up with a noise that they just do not care to address correctly.  Not much point in a DVR if you cant stand the noise...

Well, never mind on the Cisco box.  Not available here...tech said they never will be.  Said they are only used in the South...

Makes no sense to me, but they replaced my DVR again...and guess what?  Still makes noise. 

Ive just about had it with AT&Ts idiotic service.  If those boxes fix the problem, then they need to get them here in Indiana too.  I am going to give them one more chance, then Im going back to Direct TV...

I honestly can not believe a company would allow so many people to have this problem and not do more than they are to correct it.  Especially since its so new in this area, and so many people are asking me how I like it...what do they think I am going to say?  It sucks, service sucks, equipment sucks.  Internet is fine, phone fine, TV, yes I can watch it, but only in the bedroom or basement, not in the living room with the DVR or I have to put up with a noise that they just do not care to address correctly.  Not much point in a DVR if you cant stand the noise...

27 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 7:53:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
Box #3 is still working well for me. I hope your next and last try works for you. I also hope mine keeps quiet! Good Luck. Also, I agree with you about the lack of concern on AT&T's part. U-verse is new in Ohio and I also have people asking me questions about it. My noisy DVR stories are always how I begin describing my experience thus far.
Box #3 is still working well for me. I hope your next and last try works for you. I also hope mine keeps quiet! Good Luck. Also, I agree with you about the lack of concern on AT&T's part. U-verse is new in Ohio and I also have people asking me questions about it. My noisy DVR stories are always how I begin describing my experience thus far.

28 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 10:57:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've been experiencing the same high pitched noise from my Motorola DVR.  Had it replaced once (so far) and still making the same noise.  Very annoying. 

I live in San Jose so hope that having Cisco local would influence AT&T to swap out the Moto boxes for the Cisco.  It's absurd that Moto/AT&T would release a product with this issue...didn't they do any testing?

I've been experiencing the same high pitched noise from my Motorola DVR.  Had it replaced once (so far) and still making the same noise.  Very annoying. 

I live in San Jose so hope that having Cisco local would influence AT&T to swap out the Moto boxes for the Cisco.  It's absurd that Moto/AT&T would release a product with this issue...didn't they do any testing?

29 of 139 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 10:54:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I got my Uverse service in December and I have never had the high pitched noise problem.  I have been wondering if there has been any changes in the components of the stbs that are causing more and more people to experience the high pitch?  Some people have reported moving the dvr stb away from the home theater system eliminated the noise, others said they got replacements, and others have said disconnecting the fan on the hard drive.  YRMV.  It isn't unheard of for lower cost components being used in hardware.  IMHO
I got my Uverse service in December and I have never had the high pitched noise problem.  I have been wondering if there has been any changes in the components of the stbs that are causing more and more people to experience the high pitch?  Some people have reported moving the dvr stb away from the home theater system eliminated the noise, others said they got replacements, and others have said disconnecting the fan on the hard drive.  YRMV.  It isn't unheard of for lower cost components being used in hardware.  IMHO
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

30 of 139 (7,691 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments