Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 15, 2013
6:12:04 AM
Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi ?

Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi to connect to a desktop in another room?

Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi to connect to a desktop in another room?

Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi ?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 7:52:36 AM
(0)
Employee
Yes you can (usually)
Connect the wired network to one of the LAN ports (not the WAN port), and make sure to disable the DHCP so there is only one device issuing addresses on your LAN. This basically create a wireless bridge or Access Point.
Yes you can (usually)
Connect the wired network to one of the LAN ports (not the WAN port), and make sure to disable the DHCP so there is only one device issuing addresses on your LAN. This basically create a wireless bridge or Access Point.
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi ?

2 of 8 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 8:21:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Does the modem have to be wired to a comp-I'm doing this because I have 50 ft of cable to connect to desktop in bedroom No other outlets

Does the modem have to be wired to a comp-I'm doing this because I have 50 ft of cable to connect to desktop in bedroom No other outlets

Re: Hi all-Is it possible to use my modem as a stand alone-just using the wifi ?

3 of 8 (367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 7:13:12 AM
(0)
Employee

rgr00005 wrote:

Before this turns into a 20 question session, please describe what you would like to do, and what you have to do it with.
It was my impression that you wanted was to use a modem/router only as an access point for WiFI. IF you are trying to use your modem/router as a wireless NIC, it might be doable, but you would likely have a few more hoops to jump through.

rgr00005 wrote:

Before this turns into a 20 question session, please describe what you would like to do, and what you have to do it with.
It was my impression that you wanted was to use a modem/router only as an access point for WiFI. IF you are trying to use your modem/router as a wireless NIC, it might be doable, but you would likely have a few more hoops to jump through.
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 8:34:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

What I'm trying to do is put the modem as close to my only outlet with no computers attached-I just want to use

the wifi I'm doing this to avoid the 60 foot of cable I have to unwind everytime I want to go online,which part of it is an old 6 conduuctor flat cable My connection will only work with the old filter and cable. On a good day I might get 350 kps on download with all that cable let alone plugging and unplugging-error messages The outlet is very old too but I got to try something

What I'm trying to do is put the modem as close to my only outlet with no computers attached-I just want to use

the wifi I'm doing this to avoid the 60 foot of cable I have to unwind everytime I want to go online,which part of it is an old 6 conduuctor flat cable My connection will only work with the old filter and cable. On a good day I might get 350 kps on download with all that cable let alone plugging and unplugging-error messages The outlet is very old too but I got to try something

5 of 8 (319 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 7:46:10 AM
(0)
Employee

rgr00005 wrote:

I believe you should have no problem as described. I am assuming the 60 foot cable you mention is for the DSL/VDSL line into the modem (versus the ethernet cable from the modem to the PC/Laptop/device).
Usually the length of that cable is not too critical, but quality may be ... silver satin is just plain bad for anything that's not voice traffic.

rgr00005 wrote:

I believe you should have no problem as described. I am assuming the 60 foot cable you mention is for the DSL/VDSL line into the modem (versus the ethernet cable from the modem to the PC/Laptop/device).
Usually the length of that cable is not too critical, but quality may be ... silver satin is just plain bad for anything that's not voice traffic.

Sent from my phone.

6 of 8 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:30:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

ScottMac wrote:

+1.  The twists in twisted pair are there for a very good reason (cancelling out interference).  And "silver satin" is flat because the pairs don't twist.  I would phrase it that length matters a lot more if you're using a poor cable (like flat) vs a good twisted pair.  50' of twisted pair may equal a few inches of flat.

ScottMac wrote:

+1.  The twists in twisted pair are there for a very good reason (cancelling out interference).  And "silver satin" is flat because the pairs don't twist.  I would phrase it that length matters a lot more if you're using a poor cable (like flat) vs a good twisted pair.  50' of twisted pair may equal a few inches of flat.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:44:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks-I'm gonna try from the box with the green cable supplied with the modem with the new filter

If that doesn't work the it is in the old connector and box itself

Thanks-I'm gonna try from the box with the green cable supplied with the modem with the new filter

If that doesn't work the it is in the old connector and box itself

8 of 8 (264 Views)