Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

Tutor

Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

I've been searching all over the web and cannot find some help with this. Please forgive my ignorance, but judging from the activity on the board I was hoping to get some answers here.

AT&T has installed U-verse (internet only) outside my home, but the 2Wire wireless modem still has a blinking red light. The installer, when he came, told me that once I open up the phone jack I must have the blue and white wires connected to the female end of the jack for it to work, NOT the red and green wires. However, the blue and white wires coming from the wall travel into a coupler that is then converted into the red and green wires, which then go to the female end of the phone jack.

I'm completely confused as to what I should do?

Do I need to splice the blue and white and connect them directly to the jack?

The (red and green) wires, as they connect to the jack are not connecting by screws, by the way. The go directly into the female end.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

LB

Message 1 of 24 (83,932 Views)
Tutor

Re: Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

The installer should have installed a DSL splitter at your telephone box (Network Interface Device).  That splitter has 2 pairs of wires.  One pair is for Telephone and the other pair is for data.  Make sure the pair of wires connected to the Data portion of the splitter is the same pair of wires that are going into your 2Wire gateway.  

Here's a quick picture of what the splitter looks like.

DSL Splitter

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/24802788?c=1581732&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3IyNDgwMjc4OC1XaXJpbmctYXQ...

Message 2 of 24 (83,799 Views)
Master

i am still wandering why he or she did not hook up your modem and test it or is this a self install which I was

not aware existed for Uverse.

Message 3 of 24 (83,782 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies! This was a self install. Here are pictures. The third picture is the one that confuses me, because it's the blue and white wire coupled with the red and green wire. The last one was out of desperation. I tried running the modem out the window to plug directly into the jack to see if it did anything. So far, nothing.

here are links for the images:

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid1.jpg/

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/nid2.jpg/

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/nid3.jpg/

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid4.jpg/

Message 4 of 24 (83,762 Views)
Voyager

Your inside wiring looks great. The white blue and red green are both the primary pair. The pairs are neatly spliced together with a scotch lock. I would say your trouble in in the NID. It looks like your residence had a additional line at one time. Try and plug your phone line in the kit that has the white orange pair in the drop. The assignments center assignes the 2nd pair most times. If your data is there move the white blue pair from the wire going to the jack on the inside to that kit.

Message 5 of 24 (83,743 Views)
Tutor

Thanks! However, I need a bit more clarity. What and where is the "drop?" When you say "plug your phone line in the kit" where would I be doing this? At the NID?

I need things spelled out for me a bit more clearly. When you say "move the white/blue pair going to the jack" do you mean at the NID I need to screw (clamp) the blue/white to where the orange/white is bringing in the data?

It looks like the AT&T service person specifically pulled the blue/white from the external phone line running to the house.

Message 6 of 24 (83,711 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

jinenjo wrote:

Thanks! However, I need a bit more clarity. What and where is the "drop?" When you say "plug your phone line in the kit" where would I be doing this? At the NID?

I need things spelled out for me a bit more clearly. When you say "move the white/blue pair going to the jack" do you mean at the NID I need to screw (clamp) the blue/white to where the orange/white is bringing in the data?

It looks like the AT&T service person specifically pulled the blue/white from the external phone line running to the house.

The drop is the line from the pole (usually black larger diameter and weather resistant) to the NID. If you can

run a cat5e cable from the NID to your wallplate where the RG is to be hooked its not the only way but it will

eliminate some interference and although phone line will work cat5 has more twist per inch and therefore cuts down on noise in long runs. Are you still using a pots (analog) line for your telephone?

Message 7 of 24 (83,636 Views)
Voyager

First check for data on the orange/white pair on the drop. Your phone line out the window method is fine. In the NID find the orange/white pair on the left side of the box then trace it to the kit that it is wired to on the right side. Plug your line in the the rj11 plug on the kit. Plug the other end into the gateway. If you get it to sync up you are almost there. If everything is good, wire the white/blue pair of wire going to the jack you are going to plug the gateway into on the red/green screws on the kit red=blue green=white. Plug the rj11 back in the NID. That should get the data into the house on only 1 pair. Be sure to only wire 1 jack on the data line. Multiple wires on the line will bounce data and cause all kinds of reflections and possiblly pick up RF depending on your area. All bad for data.

Message 8 of 24 (83,617 Views)
Tutor

Wow! Thanks once more for the great tips. I had scheduled an AT&T guy to come on Sunday as back up, but I'll first see if I can figure this out myself. The other man that was here seemed to think that they had done all they could do without coming into the house. I'm wondering if this is something they might charge me (a lot) extra for.

As far as I know, the line is analog.

Salud,

LB

Message 9 of 24 (83,593 Views)
Tutor

Okay...nice photo. Helpful.

Right now...I am installing a cat5 line inside my house dedicated for the internet access. This is from the recommendation of the ATT repair person. Excellent guy by the way.

My home has daisy-chain connections to all the phone plates so the way for me to get better, clear, uninterrupted internet is a separated line. I can run the line (interesting to pull off...but fun stuff). What wire connections do I use inside for the connection to the 2wire ATT (2701HG-B) modem (which in turn connects to the PC)? A picture would be most helpful. I am visually oriented. I think I need to install a separate wall connection box/plate dedicated to this wire...right? What wires though.

Next. What wire connection configuration do I make in the outside ATT box for this wire coming from the inside for the internet modem?  I still need the ATT phones to work in the house. I now will have a cat5 wire coming from inside.

I have not yet purchased a splitter but will...once I know how to pull this off so I get the right item.

I have broadband access once in the house.

Help?

Message 10 of 24 (68,864 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

Tieball - I am thinking the answer to your wiring question is nobody knows. Some suggestions above say what it probably is, but you need to verify.

First - Do you have POTS or U-verse voice? If POTS, four live wires come into the house - 2 for POTS and 2 for U-verse. If you have U-verse voice it comes in on 2 wires.

You can disconnect/reconnect the wires at the NID one at time. It will be connected to the service you disrupt.

Do you have RJ -11 or RJ-45 jacks? 11 is small for tel & u-verse. 45 is larger & for U-verse. Google each to get a link to wiring images. See which pins to wire to.

Why do you mention a splitter? Splitter is only used for COAX. For cat5 you use a switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 24 (68,860 Views)
Tutor

Wiring for a cat5 line from inside modem to outside box...what wires do I use in and out?

I don't have u-verse...not available for me yet where I live I guess. I simply have broadband. The DSL goes out a lot. The ATT repair person checked it out and said I should run a separated DSL line from the outside box to the inside modem connection....separate from the daisy-chained telephone lines. The land line filters are just not doing enough.

I am confident I will be able to run the cat5 line inside the house. There are a lot of wires in that line though...and i don't think I'm supposed to use them all. I am only going to use this for the DSL connection in the house. I have attached photos that show what my outside box looks like right now...this is before any cat5 line installation. This is current.

The box outside has a red and green hex screw with wires attached. A blue wirre is attached to the red screw. A white wire is attached to the green screw. There is a black flat-shaped wire connected into a phone socket (it has one of those connectors like I use inside the house to connect to a wall). There are two other screws a yellow and a black. Threr are no wires connected to the yellow and black.

So...when I run that cat5 line....where and what do I connect for the DSL modem?

Message 12 of 24 (68,838 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Here are photos of my box outside. I do not have U-verse...not available I guess. I have a DSL broadband connection...used for internet access. Uses a 2wire modem. I am going to run a separated cat5 line to the box but don't know what wires to use or where to connect them outside. I assume inside that the same wires used outside would be inside to a wall jack specifically for the dsl. Thoughts?

Message 13 of 24 (68,855 Views)
Tutor

Note: The ATT repair person said I should run a separate DSL line in the house and use that for the modem / web access.

Message 14 of 24 (68,854 Views)
Tutor

The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

Message 15 of 24 (68,850 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.