Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 25, 2011
9:22:58 PM
View profile
Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

I've been searching all over the web and cannot find some help with this. Please forgive my ignorance, but judging from the activity on the board I was hoping to get some answers here.

AT&T has installed U-verse (internet only) outside my home, but the 2Wire wireless modem still has a blinking red light. The installer, when he came, told me that once I open up the phone jack I must have the blue and white wires connected to the female end of the jack for it to work, NOT the red and green wires. However, the blue and white wires coming from the wall travel into a coupler that is then converted into the red and green wires, which then go to the female end of the phone jack.

I'm completely confused as to what I should do?

Do I need to splice the blue and white and connect them directly to the jack?

The (red and green) wires, as they connect to the jack are not connecting by screws, by the way. The go directly into the female end.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

LB

I've been searching all over the web and cannot find some help with this. Please forgive my ignorance, but judging from the activity on the board I was hoping to get some answers here.

AT&T has installed U-verse (internet only) outside my home, but the 2Wire wireless modem still has a blinking red light. The installer, when he came, told me that once I open up the phone jack I must have the blue and white wires connected to the female end of the jack for it to work, NOT the red and green wires. However, the blue and white wires coming from the wall travel into a coupler that is then converted into the red and green wires, which then go to the female end of the phone jack.

I'm completely confused as to what I should do?

Do I need to splice the blue and white and connect them directly to the jack?

The (red and green) wires, as they connect to the jack are not connecting by screws, by the way. The go directly into the female end.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

LB

Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 4:09:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

The installer should have installed a DSL splitter at your telephone box (Network Interface Device).  That splitter has 2 pairs of wires.  One pair is for Telephone and the other pair is for data.  Make sure the pair of wires connected to the Data portion of the splitter is the same pair of wires that are going into your 2Wire gateway.  

Here's a quick picture of what the splitter looks like.

DSL Splitter

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/24802788?c=1581732&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3IyNDgwMjc4OC1XaXJpbmctYXQ...

The installer should have installed a DSL splitter at your telephone box (Network Interface Device).  That splitter has 2 pairs of wires.  One pair is for Telephone and the other pair is for data.  Make sure the pair of wires connected to the Data portion of the splitter is the same pair of wires that are going into your 2Wire gateway.  

Here's a quick picture of what the splitter looks like.

DSL Splitter

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/24802788?c=1581732&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3IyNDgwMjc4OC1XaXJpbmctYXQtTklELWFuZC1Nb3ZpbmctdGhlLVJH

Re: Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

2 of 24 (77,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 5:55:24 PM
(0)
Master

i am still wandering why he or she did not hook up your modem and test it or is this a self install which I was

not aware existed for Uverse.

i am still wandering why he or she did not hook up your modem and test it or is this a self install which I was

not aware existed for Uverse.

3 of 24 (77,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 9:03:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jinenjo on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:15:37 PM

Thanks for the replies! This was a self install. Here are pictures. The third picture is the one that confuses me, because it's the blue and white wire coupled with the red and green wire. The last one was out of desperation. I tried running the modem out the window to plug directly into the jack to see if it did anything. So far, nothing.

here are links for the images:

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid1.jpg/

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/nid2.jpg/

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/nid3.jpg/

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid4.jpg/

Thanks for the replies! This was a self install. Here are pictures. The third picture is the one that confuses me, because it's the blue and white wire coupled with the red and green wire. The last one was out of desperation. I tried running the modem out the window to plug directly into the jack to see if it did anything. So far, nothing.

here are links for the images:

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid1.jpg/

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/nid2.jpg/

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/nid3.jpg/

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/nid4.jpg/

[ Edited ]
4 of 24 (77,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 10:29:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Your inside wiring looks great. The white blue and red green are both the primary pair. The pairs are neatly spliced together with a scotch lock. I would say your trouble in in the NID. It looks like your residence had a additional line at one time. Try and plug your phone line in the kit that has the white orange pair in the drop. The assignments center assignes the 2nd pair most times. If your data is there move the white blue pair from the wire going to the jack on the inside to that kit.

Your inside wiring looks great. The white blue and red green are both the primary pair. The pairs are neatly spliced together with a scotch lock. I would say your trouble in in the NID. It looks like your residence had a additional line at one time. Try and plug your phone line in the kit that has the white orange pair in the drop. The assignments center assignes the 2nd pair most times. If your data is there move the white blue pair from the wire going to the jack on the inside to that kit.

5 of 24 (77,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:21:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks! However, I need a bit more clarity. What and where is the "drop?" When you say "plug your phone line in the kit" where would I be doing this? At the NID?

I need things spelled out for me a bit more clearly. When you say "move the white/blue pair going to the jack" do you mean at the NID I need to screw (clamp) the blue/white to where the orange/white is bringing in the data?

It looks like the AT&T service person specifically pulled the blue/white from the external phone line running to the house.

Thanks! However, I need a bit more clarity. What and where is the "drop?" When you say "plug your phone line in the kit" where would I be doing this? At the NID?

I need things spelled out for me a bit more clearly. When you say "move the white/blue pair going to the jack" do you mean at the NID I need to screw (clamp) the blue/white to where the orange/white is bringing in the data?

It looks like the AT&T service person specifically pulled the blue/white from the external phone line running to the house.

6 of 24 (77,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 12:23:40 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:24:40 PM

jinenjo wrote:

The drop is the line from the pole (usually black larger diameter and weather resistant) to the NID. If you can

run a cat5e cable from the NID to your wallplate where the RG is to be hooked its not the only way but it will

eliminate some interference and although phone line will work cat5 has more twist per inch and therefore cuts down on noise in long runs. Are you still using a pots (analog) line for your telephone?

jinenjo wrote:

The drop is the line from the pole (usually black larger diameter and weather resistant) to the NID. If you can

run a cat5e cable from the NID to your wallplate where the RG is to be hooked its not the only way but it will

eliminate some interference and although phone line will work cat5 has more twist per inch and therefore cuts down on noise in long runs. Are you still using a pots (analog) line for your telephone?

[ Edited ]
7 of 24 (77,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 1:40:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

First check for data on the orange/white pair on the drop. Your phone line out the window method is fine. In the NID find the orange/white pair on the left side of the box then trace it to the kit that it is wired to on the right side. Plug your line in the the rj11 plug on the kit. Plug the other end into the gateway. If you get it to sync up you are almost there. If everything is good, wire the white/blue pair of wire going to the jack you are going to plug the gateway into on the red/green screws on the kit red=blue green=white. Plug the rj11 back in the NID. That should get the data into the house on only 1 pair. Be sure to only wire 1 jack on the data line. Multiple wires on the line will bounce data and cause all kinds of reflections and possiblly pick up RF depending on your area. All bad for data.

First check for data on the orange/white pair on the drop. Your phone line out the window method is fine. In the NID find the orange/white pair on the left side of the box then trace it to the kit that it is wired to on the right side. Plug your line in the the rj11 plug on the kit. Plug the other end into the gateway. If you get it to sync up you are almost there. If everything is good, wire the white/blue pair of wire going to the jack you are going to plug the gateway into on the red/green screws on the kit red=blue green=white. Plug the rj11 back in the NID. That should get the data into the house on only 1 pair. Be sure to only wire 1 jack on the data line. Multiple wires on the line will bounce data and cause all kinds of reflections and possiblly pick up RF depending on your area. All bad for data.

8 of 24 (77,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 5:15:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow! Thanks once more for the great tips. I had scheduled an AT&T guy to come on Sunday as back up, but I'll first see if I can figure this out myself. The other man that was here seemed to think that they had done all they could do without coming into the house. I'm wondering if this is something they might charge me (a lot) extra for.

As far as I know, the line is analog.

Salud,

LB

Wow! Thanks once more for the great tips. I had scheduled an AT&T guy to come on Sunday as back up, but I'll first see if I can figure this out myself. The other man that was here seemed to think that they had done all they could do without coming into the house. I'm wondering if this is something they might charge me (a lot) extra for.

As far as I know, the line is analog.

Salud,

LB

9 of 24 (77,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 6:56:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Okay...nice photo. Helpful.

Right now...I am installing a cat5 line inside my house dedicated for the internet access. This is from the recommendation of the ATT repair person. Excellent guy by the way.

My home has daisy-chain connections to all the phone plates so the way for me to get better, clear, uninterrupted internet is a separated line. I can run the line (interesting to pull off...but fun stuff). What wire connections do I use inside for the connection to the 2wire ATT (2701HG-B) modem (which in turn connects to the PC)? A picture would be most helpful. I am visually oriented. I think I need to install a separate wall connection box/plate dedicated to this wire...right? What wires though.

Next. What wire connection configuration do I make in the outside ATT box for this wire coming from the inside for the internet modem?  I still need the ATT phones to work in the house. I now will have a cat5 wire coming from inside.

I have not yet purchased a splitter but will...once I know how to pull this off so I get the right item.

I have broadband access once in the house.

Help?

Okay...nice photo. Helpful.

Right now...I am installing a cat5 line inside my house dedicated for the internet access. This is from the recommendation of the ATT repair person. Excellent guy by the way.

My home has daisy-chain connections to all the phone plates so the way for me to get better, clear, uninterrupted internet is a separated line. I can run the line (interesting to pull off...but fun stuff). What wire connections do I use inside for the connection to the 2wire ATT (2701HG-B) modem (which in turn connects to the PC)? A picture would be most helpful. I am visually oriented. I think I need to install a separate wall connection box/plate dedicated to this wire...right? What wires though.

Next. What wire connection configuration do I make in the outside ATT box for this wire coming from the inside for the internet modem?  I still need the ATT phones to work in the house. I now will have a cat5 wire coming from inside.

I have not yet purchased a splitter but will...once I know how to pull this off so I get the right item.

I have broadband access once in the house.

Help?

10 of 24 (62,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 7:31:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 16, 2013 at 7:52:53 AM

Tieball - I am thinking the answer to your wiring question is nobody knows. Some suggestions above say what it probably is, but you need to verify.

First - Do you have POTS or U-verse voice? If POTS, four live wires come into the house - 2 for POTS and 2 for U-verse. If you have U-verse voice it comes in on 2 wires.

You can disconnect/reconnect the wires at the NID one at time. It will be connected to the service you disrupt.

Do you have RJ -11 or RJ-45 jacks? 11 is small for tel & u-verse. 45 is larger & for U-verse. Google each to get a link to wiring images. See which pins to wire to.

Why do you mention a splitter? Splitter is only used for COAX. For cat5 you use a switch.

Tieball - I am thinking the answer to your wiring question is nobody knows. Some suggestions above say what it probably is, but you need to verify.

First - Do you have POTS or U-verse voice? If POTS, four live wires come into the house - 2 for POTS and 2 for U-verse. If you have U-verse voice it comes in on 2 wires.

You can disconnect/reconnect the wires at the NID one at time. It will be connected to the service you disrupt.

Do you have RJ -11 or RJ-45 jacks? 11 is small for tel & u-verse. 45 is larger & for U-verse. Google each to get a link to wiring images. See which pins to wire to.

Why do you mention a splitter? Splitter is only used for COAX. For cat5 you use a switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
11 of 24 (62,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 7:58:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't have u-verse...not available for me yet where I live I guess. I simply have broadband. The DSL goes out a lot. The ATT repair person checked it out and said I should run a separated DSL line from the outside box to the inside modem connection....separate from the daisy-chained telephone lines. The land line filters are just not doing enough.

I am confident I will be able to run the cat5 line inside the house. There are a lot of wires in that line though...and i don't think I'm supposed to use them all. I am only going to use this for the DSL connection in the house. I have attached photos that show what my outside box looks like right now...this is before any cat5 line installation. This is current.

The box outside has a red and green hex screw with wires attached. A blue wirre is attached to the red screw. A white wire is attached to the green screw. There is a black flat-shaped wire connected into a phone socket (it has one of those connectors like I use inside the house to connect to a wall). There are two other screws a yellow and a black. Threr are no wires connected to the yellow and black.

So...when I run that cat5 line....where and what do I connect for the DSL modem?

I don't have u-verse...not available for me yet where I live I guess. I simply have broadband. The DSL goes out a lot. The ATT repair person checked it out and said I should run a separated DSL line from the outside box to the inside modem connection....separate from the daisy-chained telephone lines. The land line filters are just not doing enough.

I am confident I will be able to run the cat5 line inside the house. There are a lot of wires in that line though...and i don't think I'm supposed to use them all. I am only going to use this for the DSL connection in the house. I have attached photos that show what my outside box looks like right now...this is before any cat5 line installation. This is current.

The box outside has a red and green hex screw with wires attached. A blue wirre is attached to the red screw. A white wire is attached to the green screw. There is a black flat-shaped wire connected into a phone socket (it has one of those connectors like I use inside the house to connect to a wall). There are two other screws a yellow and a black. Threr are no wires connected to the yellow and black.

So...when I run that cat5 line....where and what do I connect for the DSL modem?

Wiring for a cat5 line from inside modem to outside box...what wires do I use in and out?

12 of 24 (62,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 8:06:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Tieball on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:14:12 AM

Here are photos of my box outside. I do not have U-verse...not available I guess. I have a DSL broadband connection...used for internet access. Uses a 2wire modem. I am going to run a separated cat5 line to the box but don't know what wires to use or where to connect them outside. I assume inside that the same wires used outside would be inside to a wall jack specifically for the dsl. Thoughts?

Here are photos of my box outside. I do not have U-verse...not available I guess. I have a DSL broadband connection...used for internet access. Uses a 2wire modem. I am going to run a separated cat5 line to the box but don't know what wires to use or where to connect them outside. I assume inside that the same wires used outside would be inside to a wall jack specifically for the dsl. Thoughts?

[ Edited ]
13 of 24 (62,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 8:08:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Note: The ATT repair person said I should run a separate DSL line in the house and use that for the modem / web access.

Note: The ATT repair person said I should run a separate DSL line in the house and use that for the modem / web access.

14 of 24 (62,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 8:11:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

15 of 24 (62,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 8:22:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Tieball - I understand that. I thought you were asking how to connect it at the NID and the modem. To do that I was suggesting you analyse the existing wiring, instead of guessing.

But, your note makes me think the existing wires could be adequate - just remove them from being daisy chained. You could do that by disconnecting all the wires in the daisy chained cable at the modem jack You would be left with a single direct connection, that you want.

If you you have U-verse voice you could connect the daisy chain to the Telephone output at the modem.

If you have POTS (and remove the daisy chain) you will be disconnecting the tel from those downstream jacks. You need to know which wires carry the tel & daisy chain them.

Alternatively, determine which two wires carry U-verse and do not daisy chain only those wires.

If you find this confusing, you may be better off letting att do it.
Tieball - I understand that. I thought you were asking how to connect it at the NID and the modem. To do that I was suggesting you analyse the existing wiring, instead of guessing.

But, your note makes me think the existing wires could be adequate - just remove them from being daisy chained. You could do that by disconnecting all the wires in the daisy chained cable at the modem jack You would be left with a single direct connection, that you want.

If you you have U-verse voice you could connect the daisy chain to the Telephone output at the modem.

If you have POTS (and remove the daisy chain) you will be disconnecting the tel from those downstream jacks. You need to know which wires carry the tel & daisy chain them.

Alternatively, determine which two wires carry U-verse and do not daisy chain only those wires.

If you find this confusing, you may be better off letting att do it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 24 (62,588 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 8:27:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
RE: The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

Red and green are usually used for the first tel line & black and Yellow for the second tel line.
RE: The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

Red and green are usually used for the first tel line & black and Yellow for the second tel line.

17 of 24 (62,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 10:13:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I think I understand.  I would do this:For the one plate that has the phone connection for the DSL I remove the "phone" related wires and just keep the DSL wires. Am I even close? How do I know the wires to disconnect? Is there are particular color assigned to DSL?

Do I need to go back to the land line phone connections and in those plates disconnect the DSL wires? Or...just leave them alone because they would not have an impact on the DSL connection.

I will admit though...I do not have any idea what a POTS is or what a NID is really. But...you do so I am following your advice.

Basically it sounds like I really don't need to install a cat5 line afterall...that the wires already exist and that I need to remove the "telephone" function from the DSL connection plate/jack. Right?

Thank you for helping. I really appreciate this discussion.

I think I understand.  I would do this:For the one plate that has the phone connection for the DSL I remove the "phone" related wires and just keep the DSL wires. Am I even close? How do I know the wires to disconnect? Is there are particular color assigned to DSL?

Do I need to go back to the land line phone connections and in those plates disconnect the DSL wires? Or...just leave them alone because they would not have an impact on the DSL connection.

I will admit though...I do not have any idea what a POTS is or what a NID is really. But...you do so I am following your advice.

Basically it sounds like I really don't need to install a cat5 line afterall...that the wires already exist and that I need to remove the "telephone" function from the DSL connection plate/jack. Right?

Thank you for helping. I really appreciate this discussion.

18 of 24 (62,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 10:32:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here is a snapshot of the connection side of the wall plate where the current cord for DSL is plugged into.

Here is a snapshot of the connection side of the wall plate where the current cord for DSL is plugged into.

19 of 24 (62,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 10:38:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Reading up a level on this posting I see the word splitter. If there is uncertainty on which wires to disconnect to achieve a clean DSL only line...is it better to still run thatcat5 line and position a splitter outside in the box...then just use that line for the DSL connection (no telephone would connect to this jack). I think that is where I started from though. I'm getting a little confused...sorry.

Reading up a level on this posting I see the word splitter. If there is uncertainty on which wires to disconnect to achieve a clean DSL only line...is it better to still run thatcat5 line and position a splitter outside in the box...then just use that line for the DSL connection (no telephone would connect to this jack). I think that is where I started from though. I'm getting a little confused...sorry.

20 of 24 (62,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 12:03:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:29:11 PM

Tieball -

The NID is the box on the side of the house pictured in post 13. You say you have DSL with filters on the phones. So, you do not have U-verse voice. You have Plain Old Telephone Service & DSL.

I think this adds to the complication - att is eliminating DSL and changing to U-verse. Someday you will be required to change.

The standard for U-verse would be the filter in the NID on the the side of the house & a straight run for the modem. That is what you are trying to accomplish now. You need a filter on the tel side - either one at a central location or one at each phone.

When I suggested you could use the existing wire, it requires that it be direct - not have a daisy chained jack in the middle.

If your picture in post 19 is the first jack in the daisy chain & it has two cables coming in to it & your service is on Red/green - Disconnect the other cable - This gives you a direct run to the modem. The connect a filter from the live red/green & the other side to the daisy chained red/green to feed the rest of the phones.

A new cat5 cable would probably be better than the old red/green. May or may not be noticeably better.

I can never be sure what folks have when we start this dialog. It looks like you have plain old tel & dsl that was designed to use the existing wiring with filters on the phones. So, you can move the filter to separate the two at the modem, but you may not see any change in quality.

For this case, I do not believe there is a spltter, per se. A splitter isassociated with coax. However you could consider a filter to be a splitter - one side has DSL, the other does not/ So, if the fillter is in the NID the line side can be directly connected to the modem and the tel side feeds the phone distribution wires. Move it to the Modem jack & it accomplisheds the same thing. Move it to each phone & you need a filter for each phone.

Tieball -

The NID is the box on the side of the house pictured in post 13. You say you have DSL with filters on the phones. So, you do not have U-verse voice. You have Plain Old Telephone Service & DSL.

I think this adds to the complication - att is eliminating DSL and changing to U-verse. Someday you will be required to change.

The standard for U-verse would be the filter in the NID on the the side of the house & a straight run for the modem. That is what you are trying to accomplish now. You need a filter on the tel side - either one at a central location or one at each phone.

When I suggested you could use the existing wire, it requires that it be direct - not have a daisy chained jack in the middle.

If your picture in post 19 is the first jack in the daisy chain & it has two cables coming in to it & your service is on Red/green - Disconnect the other cable - This gives you a direct run to the modem. The connect a filter from the live red/green & the other side to the daisy chained red/green to feed the rest of the phones.

A new cat5 cable would probably be better than the old red/green. May or may not be noticeably better.

I can never be sure what folks have when we start this dialog. It looks like you have plain old tel & dsl that was designed to use the existing wiring with filters on the phones. So, you can move the filter to separate the two at the modem, but you may not see any change in quality.

For this case, I do not believe there is a spltter, per se. A splitter isassociated with coax. However you could consider a filter to be a splitter - one side has DSL, the other does not/ So, if the fillter is in the NID the line side can be directly connected to the modem and the tel side feeds the phone distribution wires. Move it to the Modem jack & it accomplisheds the same thing. Move it to each phone & you need a filter for each phone.

[ Edited ]
21 of 24 (62,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:19:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a problem that I cannot seem to remedy.  When the blue and white wires are connected at jack and wire bundle (where it comes into the house) I get a short.  I thought I would be able to connect with a different pair of wires as long as both colored pair are connected at jack and bundle, but when I do I donget receive anything dial tone or indications of a short.  This jack is on a second floor exterior wall so not sure what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

I have a problem that I cannot seem to remedy.  When the blue and white wires are connected at jack and wire bundle (where it comes into the house) I get a short.  I thought I would be able to connect with a different pair of wires as long as both colored pair are connected at jack and bundle, but when I do I donget receive anything dial tone or indications of a short.  This jack is on a second floor exterior wall so not sure what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

22 of 24 (48,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:45:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Dcollins57 - I am not following what you say. Are you plugging in to the Jack (as entry to the house) but the center prongs are shorted. Or, you know service is on the blue & white wires & when you connect them to the center pair on an empty jack it shorts out the service.

In the first and second case the jack prongs could be shorted. In the first case it could also be the connected wires that are shorted.

Maybe a little more description of what you have & what you want to do. Keep it simple, please.
Dcollins57 - I am not following what you say. Are you plugging in to the Jack (as entry to the house) but the center prongs are shorted. Or, you know service is on the blue & white wires & when you connect them to the center pair on an empty jack it shorts out the service.

In the first and second case the jack prongs could be shorted. In the first case it could also be the connected wires that are shorted.

Maybe a little more description of what you have & what you want to do. Keep it simple, please.

23 of 24 (48,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:47:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Something is definitely going on. Did anything change recently? Add Siding on the wall the jack is on. Nails can damage and short out wires. Will the jack work in another room? If yes then it's the inside wire. If no then you need a new jack. Usually inside wire doesn't go bad unless its damaged. You might want to check/pull the other jacks in the house to make sure the jack with trouble isn't daisy chained from another jack. If that's the case you may find the short or be able to find the open on the other pairs and put it together so the dial tone makes it to the room you need it.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone
Something is definitely going on. Did anything change recently? Add Siding on the wall the jack is on. Nails can damage and short out wires. Will the jack work in another room? If yes then it's the inside wire. If no then you need a new jack. Usually inside wire doesn't go bad unless its damaged. You might want to check/pull the other jacks in the house to make sure the jack with trouble isn't daisy chained from another jack. If that's the case you may find the short or be able to find the open on the other pairs and put it together so the dial tone makes it to the room you need it.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone

24 of 24 (48,209 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments