Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

Tutor

Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

I've been searching all over the web and cannot find some help with this. Please forgive my ignorance, but judging from the activity on the board I was hoping to get some answers here.

AT&T has installed U-verse (internet only) outside my home, but the 2Wire wireless modem still has a blinking red light. The installer, when he came, told me that once I open up the phone jack I must have the blue and white wires connected to the female end of the jack for it to work, NOT the red and green wires. However, the blue and white wires coming from the wall travel into a coupler that is then converted into the red and green wires, which then go to the female end of the phone jack.

I'm completely confused as to what I should do?

Do I need to splice the blue and white and connect them directly to the jack?

The (red and green) wires, as they connect to the jack are not connecting by screws, by the way. The go directly into the female end.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

LB

Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Help w/ wiring on phone jack for internet - blue/white? red/green?

Tieball - I understand that. I thought you were asking how to connect it at the NID and the modem. To do that I was suggesting you analyse the existing wiring, instead of guessing.

But, your note makes me think the existing wires could be adequate - just remove them from being daisy chained. You could do that by disconnecting all the wires in the daisy chained cable at the modem jack You would be left with a single direct connection, that you want.

If you you have U-verse voice you could connect the daisy chain to the Telephone output at the modem.

If you have POTS (and remove the daisy chain) you will be disconnecting the tel from those downstream jacks. You need to know which wires carry the tel & daisy chain them.

Alternatively, determine which two wires carry U-verse and do not daisy chain only those wires.

If you find this confusing, you may be better off letting att do it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 16 of 24
ACE - Expert

RE: The red and green screws have wires attached. The black and yellow do not have any wires attached.

Red and green are usually used for the first tel line & black and Yellow for the second tel line.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 24
Tutor

I think I understand.  I would do this:For the one plate that has the phone connection for the DSL I remove the "phone" related wires and just keep the DSL wires. Am I even close? How do I know the wires to disconnect? Is there are particular color assigned to DSL?

Do I need to go back to the land line phone connections and in those plates disconnect the DSL wires? Or...just leave them alone because they would not have an impact on the DSL connection.

I will admit though...I do not have any idea what a POTS is or what a NID is really. But...you do so I am following your advice.

Basically it sounds like I really don't need to install a cat5 line afterall...that the wires already exist and that I need to remove the "telephone" function from the DSL connection plate/jack. Right?

Thank you for helping. I really appreciate this discussion.

Message 18 of 24
Tutor

Here is a snapshot of the connection side of the wall plate where the current cord for DSL is plugged into.

Message 19 of 24
Tutor

Reading up a level on this posting I see the word splitter. If there is uncertainty on which wires to disconnect to achieve a clean DSL only line...is it better to still run thatcat5 line and position a splitter outside in the box...then just use that line for the DSL connection (no telephone would connect to this jack). I think that is where I started from though. I'm getting a little confused...sorry.

Message 20 of 24
ACE - Expert

Tieball -

The NID is the box on the side of the house pictured in post 13. You say you have DSL with filters on the phones. So, you do not have U-verse voice. You have Plain Old Telephone Service & DSL.

I think this adds to the complication - att is eliminating DSL and changing to U-verse. Someday you will be required to change.

The standard for U-verse would be the filter in the NID on the the side of the house & a straight run for the modem. That is what you are trying to accomplish now. You need a filter on the tel side - either one at a central location or one at each phone.

When I suggested you could use the existing wire, it requires that it be direct - not have a daisy chained jack in the middle.

If your picture in post 19 is the first jack in the daisy chain & it has two cables coming in to it & your service is on Red/green - Disconnect the other cable - This gives you a direct run to the modem. The connect a filter from the live red/green & the other side to the daisy chained red/green to feed the rest of the phones.

A new cat5 cable would probably be better than the old red/green. May or may not be noticeably better.

I can never be sure what folks have when we start this dialog. It looks like you have plain old tel & dsl that was designed to use the existing wiring with filters on the phones. So, you can move the filter to separate the two at the modem, but you may not see any change in quality.

For this case, I do not believe there is a spltter, per se. A splitter isassociated with coax. However you could consider a filter to be a splitter - one side has DSL, the other does not/ So, if the fillter is in the NID the line side can be directly connected to the modem and the tel side feeds the phone distribution wires. Move it to the Modem jack & it accomplisheds the same thing. Move it to each phone & you need a filter for each phone.

Message 21 of 24
Contributor

I have a problem that I cannot seem to remedy.  When the blue and white wires are connected at jack and wire bundle (where it comes into the house) I get a short.  I thought I would be able to connect with a different pair of wires as long as both colored pair are connected at jack and bundle, but when I do I donget receive anything dial tone or indications of a short.  This jack is on a second floor exterior wall so not sure what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

Message 22 of 24
ACE - Expert

Dcollins57 - I am not following what you say. Are you plugging in to the Jack (as entry to the house) but the center prongs are shorted. Or, you know service is on the blue & white wires & when you connect them to the center pair on an empty jack it shorts out the service.

In the first and second case the jack prongs could be shorted. In the first case it could also be the connected wires that are shorted.

Maybe a little more description of what you have & what you want to do. Keep it simple, please.
Message 23 of 24
Voyager

Something is definitely going on. Did anything change recently? Add Siding on the wall the jack is on. Nails can damage and short out wires. Will the jack work in another room? If yes then it's the inside wire. If no then you need a new jack. Usually inside wire doesn't go bad unless its damaged. You might want to check/pull the other jacks in the house to make sure the jack with trouble isn't daisy chained from another jack. If that's the case you may find the short or be able to find the open on the other pairs and put it together so the dial tone makes it to the room you need it.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone
Message 24 of 24
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support