Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 28, 2013
12:28:33 AM
View profile
Help! My DVR seems to be dying, but cannot get tech support to react

I have a four year old UVerse installation with a VIP 1225 and two other STB's.  Plus lots of recordings from various food channels that my wife refers to frequently for cooking ideas.  This evening when I turned on my primary TV, all I got was a big red X.  Powered down the 1225 and restarted it.  Watched a recorded show for about 1/2 hour when the screen froze and I could not get it unstuck.  Unplugged the 1225, waited about 10 seconds and restarted everything.  All was fine for about 15 minutes, then system froze again.  This time when I rebooted, I got a screen showing only lots of snow and a loud crackling noise came through the audio.  I'm guessing a dying disk drive or worse.  However, when I called tech support, they asked me to restart the system.  I restarted it without a problem, so they said it probably was just a one-time thing and declined to do anything about it.

I have two questions.  First, is this a major symptom of a dying system, and if so, how do I get AT&T to do anything about it? 

Second, Is there any way to save those recorded programs?  I do have a Hauppauge HD PVR2 box that lets me capture HD programming onto my laptop PC.  However, that basically requires that I play each program individually and record it onto a large external drive at "real-time" speed.  Given the large number of recordings that I have, I doubt that the 1225 will live that long.  I am open to any other ideas on how to transfer these programs to a new DVR, assuming that AT&T finally gives me one.  Such a file transfer capability would seem to be a rather basic support tool for AT&T to give to its tech people, but I cannot find any indication that it exists.  (If the OS was not so locked down, even I  know enough about WinCE to be able to create a simple copy script in just a few minutes.  It does not have to touch the encryption, just copy the file to the new system.  Only problem is whether the encryption is tied to a specific piece of hardware, which would make the copied program unplayable on the new system.)

Any thought or ideas are much appreciated.

I have a four year old UVerse installation with a VIP 1225 and two other STB's.  Plus lots of recordings from various food channels that my wife refers to frequently for cooking ideas.  This evening when I turned on my primary TV, all I got was a big red X.  Powered down the 1225 and restarted it.  Watched a recorded show for about 1/2 hour when the screen froze and I could not get it unstuck.  Unplugged the 1225, waited about 10 seconds and restarted everything.  All was fine for about 15 minutes, then system froze again.  This time when I rebooted, I got a screen showing only lots of snow and a loud crackling noise came through the audio.  I'm guessing a dying disk drive or worse.  However, when I called tech support, they asked me to restart the system.  I restarted it without a problem, so they said it probably was just a one-time thing and declined to do anything about it.

I have two questions.  First, is this a major symptom of a dying system, and if so, how do I get AT&T to do anything about it? 

Second, Is there any way to save those recorded programs?  I do have a Hauppauge HD PVR2 box that lets me capture HD programming onto my laptop PC.  However, that basically requires that I play each program individually and record it onto a large external drive at "real-time" speed.  Given the large number of recordings that I have, I doubt that the 1225 will live that long.  I am open to any other ideas on how to transfer these programs to a new DVR, assuming that AT&T finally gives me one.  Such a file transfer capability would seem to be a rather basic support tool for AT&T to give to its tech people, but I cannot find any indication that it exists.  (If the OS was not so locked down, even I  know enough about WinCE to be able to create a simple copy script in just a few minutes.  It does not have to touch the encryption, just copy the file to the new system.  Only problem is whether the encryption is tied to a specific piece of hardware, which would make the copied program unplayable on the new system.)

Help! My DVR seems to be dying, but cannot get tech support to react

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 1:15:36 AM
(0)
Expert

No, the recordings cannot be transferred to a new DVR.  Also, the only want to transfer recordings is to play them in realtime and transfer them using a VCR, DVD recorder or other similar device.

Just as an FYI, you should think of any DVR as a device for short term storage, not long term archiving.

No, the recordings cannot be transferred to a new DVR.  Also, the only want to transfer recordings is to play them in realtime and transfer them using a VCR, DVD recorder or other similar device.

Just as an FYI, you should think of any DVR as a device for short term storage, not long term archiving.

Re: Help! My DVR seems to be dying, but cannot get tech support to react

2 of 9 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 4:50:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The bad news is that they won't replace the DVR until it completely dies and you will lose all of your recordings.  The good news is that all of your scheduled recordings stay intact and there's a good chance you'll get a VIP2250 with a larger hard drive.

The bad news is that they won't replace the DVR until it completely dies and you will lose all of your recordings.  The good news is that all of your scheduled recordings stay intact and there's a good chance you'll get a VIP2250 with a larger hard drive.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 4:19:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks to both of you for your very quick responses.  However, looking at the times they were written begs the question when do you guys sleep? 

I was afraid that you would echo what I suspected that there is no realistic way to move my saved programs to a new DVR so I am frantically saving them to a an external drive on a PC.  For anyone who wants to do that, the Hauppauge HDPVR2 is an excellent device.  It is very simple to set up and by taking its input via composite connections from an STB allows you to override the copy protection on some saved programs.  (Yeah, I may be technically violating some law, but it is only to save what I already have, not make copies for distribution, so I don't feel too guilty about it.)  The only downside is that it requires plaing back the recording from your DVR, so it takes one hour to save a one hour show.  Tedious and boring but effective.

By the way, much as I would appreciate being upgraded to a VIP2250 with its 500 GB drive, I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of people simply swapping out exisiting hard drives in their UVerse DVRs for 1 or 2 TB drives and when they connect to UVerse, having them automatically install all the necessary software and boot right up.  I had been under the impression that this would actually fail, so I have not tried it.  Ignoring the fact that this probably violates all sorts of AT&T warentee issues, has anybody else on this site recently done this successfully?  Seems like a worthwhile risk to me.

Thanks again.

Thanks to both of you for your very quick responses.  However, looking at the times they were written begs the question when do you guys sleep? 

I was afraid that you would echo what I suspected that there is no realistic way to move my saved programs to a new DVR so I am frantically saving them to a an external drive on a PC.  For anyone who wants to do that, the Hauppauge HDPVR2 is an excellent device.  It is very simple to set up and by taking its input via composite connections from an STB allows you to override the copy protection on some saved programs.  (Yeah, I may be technically violating some law, but it is only to save what I already have, not make copies for distribution, so I don't feel too guilty about it.)  The only downside is that it requires plaing back the recording from your DVR, so it takes one hour to save a one hour show.  Tedious and boring but effective.

By the way, much as I would appreciate being upgraded to a VIP2250 with its 500 GB drive, I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of people simply swapping out exisiting hard drives in their UVerse DVRs for 1 or 2 TB drives and when they connect to UVerse, having them automatically install all the necessary software and boot right up.  I had been under the impression that this would actually fail, so I have not tried it.  Ignoring the fact that this probably violates all sorts of AT&T warentee issues, has anybody else on this site recently done this successfully?  Seems like a worthwhile risk to me.

Thanks again.

4 of 9 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 5:59:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

skeeterintexas wrote:

Actually no, I got my 1216 replaced just because it was sluggy, on the Guide, info, etc,  when the memory got up near the 90% range.  Posted this at the get social site (Customer Care) and they immediately came back w/they wanted to switch out my DVR. 

First they sent a 1225 that was defective, Live TV  would work, but it would reboot when I tried to go to the Menu or Scheduled Recordings.  Sadath went above/beyond to get the 1216 back on the account so I'd have a working unit.  Then they sent the 2250 that I now have that's lightening fast on all the sluggy areas from the 1216. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

skeeterintexas wrote:

Actually no, I got my 1216 replaced just because it was sluggy, on the Guide, info, etc,  when the memory got up near the 90% range.  Posted this at the get social site (Customer Care) and they immediately came back w/they wanted to switch out my DVR. 

First they sent a 1225 that was defective, Live TV  would work, but it would reboot when I tried to go to the Menu or Scheduled Recordings.  Sadath went above/beyond to get the 1216 back on the account so I'd have a working unit.  Then they sent the 2250 that I now have that's lightening fast on all the sluggy areas from the 1216. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 6:08:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:11:44 PM

psbecker wrote:

Thanks again.

Don't know that's to be true, generally the system will not boot up on a unit bigger than 500G.  It has been posted many times at uverseusers when it was up and running (also posted at dslreports too).  

Bigger units like that would also have indexing and sluggy performance from those units as MediaRoom running under WinCE was not designed for such large hard drives either.  And yes YouTube videos can be faked easily, especially if it didn't take at least 60 minutes or more to complete,  It would have to format the whole disk first before installing the software. Smiley Wink

Chris

psbecker wrote:

Thanks again.

Don't know that's to be true, generally the system will not boot up on a unit bigger than 500G.  It has been posted many times at uverseusers when it was up and running (also posted at dslreports too).  

Bigger units like that would also have indexing and sluggy performance from those units as MediaRoom running under WinCE was not designed for such large hard drives either.  And yes YouTube videos can be faked easily, especially if it didn't take at least 60 minutes or more to complete,  It would have to format the whole disk first before installing the software. Smiley Wink

Chris

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 1:52:34 PM
(0)
Voyager

psbecker wrote:

I have a four year old UVerse installation with a VIP 1225 and two other STB's.  Plus lots of recordings from various food channels that my wife refers to frequently for cooking ideas.  This evening when I turned on my primary TV, all I got was a big red X.  Powered down the 1225 and restarted it.  Watched a recorded show for about 1/2 hour when the screen froze and I could not get it unstuck.  Unplugged the 1225, waited about 10 seconds and restarted everything.  All was fine for about 15 minutes, then system froze again.  

I am having the exact same issue..the dvr is freezing at least once a day.. it happened 2 times to me last night (The DVR is what I watch tv in my room with)..   We called for support earlier this week, and all they did was change the backup battery.. which still confuses me. I will have to see what the remedy was for today's call if we got a service call set for today since the issue was going to be called about today.

yay.

psbecker wrote:

I have a four year old UVerse installation with a VIP 1225 and two other STB's.  Plus lots of recordings from various food channels that my wife refers to frequently for cooking ideas.  This evening when I turned on my primary TV, all I got was a big red X.  Powered down the 1225 and restarted it.  Watched a recorded show for about 1/2 hour when the screen froze and I could not get it unstuck.  Unplugged the 1225, waited about 10 seconds and restarted everything.  All was fine for about 15 minutes, then system froze again.  

I am having the exact same issue..the dvr is freezing at least once a day.. it happened 2 times to me last night (The DVR is what I watch tv in my room with)..   We called for support earlier this week, and all they did was change the backup battery.. which still confuses me. I will have to see what the remedy was for today's call if we got a service call set for today since the issue was going to be called about today.

yay.

7 of 9 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 6:52:25 PM
(0)
Voyager

DVR replaced with a 2250.. wow.. the speed difference in the menus alone was worth it Smiley Happy

DVR replaced with a 2250.. wow.. the speed difference in the menus alone was worth it Smiley Happy

8 of 9 (472 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 1:11:03 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for posting that your issue was resolved.

Thanks for posting that your issue was resolved.

9 of 9 (397 Views)