Having problems returning equipment and getting credit for deceased relative

Highlighted
Scholar

Having problems returning equipment and getting credit for deceased relative

My mother-in-law passed away almost 3 months ago. My wife has been on the phone numerous times with ATT to get the account closed and the final bill paid. She thought that was done and had received a "final" bill saying zero balance.

Now she received a bill for $513 saying the equipment was never returned. OK, it wasn't but none of the people she talked to on the phone to close the account or the bills said what to do with the equipment.  After 30 minutes on hold, she got through to someone that gave her the return instructions but said that they were required by law to collect the sales tax on the items even though they are being returned.  I run a small business and know the CA state board of equalization rules and this smells like my stable.

She asked to speak to a supervisor and after another 60 minutes on hold (over 90 total), she had to hang up.  Does anyone have a way to get to the correct manager to get the sales tax reversed?

Message 1 of 13 (550 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Having problems returning equipment and getting credit for deceased relative

Hello, stealth57!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your recent issues closing this account. We would be happy to get this straightened out for you, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13 (529 Views)
Scholar

Re: Having problems returning equipment and getting credit for deceased relative

Just as a side note (and we will PM you shortly), the information we were given on how to return the items via UPS was absolutely wrong. We were told to go to the UPS station and give them a confirmation number. After driving to the UPS station, they told us that they don't have an account with ATT. We then had to call back and this time were told "oh, no, you have to go to 'The UPS Store' (formerly known as Mailboxes Etc."

So, went to the UPS Store where we were told the confirmation number was the wrong format...basically, ATT employees have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe you should use US citizens and then give them some training.

Message 3 of 13 (519 Views)
Scholar

Tried to send a PM from several different browsers. After clicking the send button there is absolutely no response from the ATT server. No spinning wheels, nothing. So, I have no idea if the PM went through or not.

Message 4 of 13 (517 Views)
Employee

Some UPS stores are franchise and do not honor the AT&T account (they dont make any money as ive been told on several occasions) you have to search out a corperate owned location. As far as a confermation number ive never seen that require, when i returned mine i just walked in with the boxes,wrote down my info and the BAN (billing account number) and sent it in they were even kind enough to provide me boxes and pack it for me free of charge. (well mostly free of charge he said he had to charge me for the packing tape LOL!!) But always get a tracking number, things get lost or delayed in transit and only you are responsible for the equipment. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 13 (492 Views)
Scholar

The issue wasn't with the UPS Store, it was the ATT employee telling us to go to the UPS station (the actual UPS corporate location) and not the UPS Store.  The UPS Store knew what to do but it was just another example of incompetent customer service from ATT.  I guess they just don't believe in training.

Message 6 of 13 (483 Views)
Community Manager

stealth57 wrote:

Tried to send a PM from several different browsers. After clicking the send button there is absolutely no response from the ATT server. No spinning wheels, nothing. So, I have no idea if the PM went through or not.

Hello stealth57,

I'm sorry for any confusion, we did get your message and created a case for one of our managers to help you, you should have an email from them by now. Please let us know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 13 (469 Views)
Scholar

yes, we got an email and all it said was, "I'm happy to help you! You will need to take the equipment to the UPS Store. You will need to provide them with the account number. They will box up the equipment and ship it back to us. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

Absolutely nothing about the billing issues regarding charging tax on the full retail value of the items being returned.

Message 8 of 13 (464 Views)
ACE - Expert

I would think that the Sales Tax would be credited against the amount of the refund when the equipment is returned.  But that would mean they would owe you a credit if you paid the sales tax.

Strange.

I had problems with PMs on Monday afternoon, but they seem to have been working before and since.  I'd follow up with another PM.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13 (459 Views)
Scholar

The bill hasn't been paid yet as the previous bill showed a zero balance.  ATT CS specifically told us on several different calls that they WOULD NOT credit the account for the sales tax. So, they say we owe (or my mother in law's account) $513, but will only credit $450 for the list price of the returned equipment. They don't understand that if you return an item, the vendor DOES NOT get to keep the accrued sales tax.

I am afraid your comment is too logical for the untrained people ATT has working in CS.

Message 10 of 13 (454 Views)
Scholar

PS the ATT person followed up with a call and once again said that they will NOT provide a credit for the sales tax on the returned hardware.  Good luck getting paid. This is an estate and the only recourse is for ATT to sue in probate court.

Given all this, when my contract is up, ATT will lose a customer that has been around so long that my email address is @pacbell.net.

Message 11 of 13 (435 Views)
Scholar

A friend of my wife works in higher levels of ATT. She says they have an internal program to make sure that issues they hear about get handled.  Apparently, they know their CS is not owning problems and this group then jumps in if they hear about it.

We got a call from someone in the US who said they have taken ownership and will resolve the issues in 24 hours.  She said CS is suppose to do the same and the internal policy is if they don't, they get fired.  So, hopefully, some heads will roll but I doubt it.

Message 12 of 13 (421 Views)
Scholar

Pretty amazing that the only way to solve such a simple issue is that you have to know someone inside ATT with enough clout to get the job done.

Message 13 of 13 (367 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.