Have not been able to send but can receive email on a new u-verse account.

Tutor

Have not been able to send but can receive email on a new u-verse account.

I looked to see if this was posted earlier.  Did not find this, but I'm new to this community. - thanks

Vista; Windows mail.  Also tried outgoing.att.net as well.  Been through the setup guides very carefully several times. - thanks ---> error message --->  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Message 1 of 15 (1,660 Views)
Employee

Re: Have not been able to send but can receive email on a new u-verse account.

Hi rodney bertelsen

It sounds like you have the server settings configured properly. The error "Unexpectedly terminated" in Windows Mail is sometimes caused by interference from an antivirus program. If you don't mind me asking, which antivirus are you currently using?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 15 (1,660 Views)
Tutor

Hi - I am using AVG

Message 3 of 15 (1,660 Views)
Employee

Okay thank you. Within AVG's options, somewhere there should be a way to disable the "Email scanner" that may resolve the Outgoing email problem. I'm going to do some research on how to do that. Just to make sure I understood correctly, you can receive emails just fine in Windows Live? Its just the Outgoing that's the issue?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 15 (1,662 Views)
Tutor

Yes that is correct I can receive but not send.

I just disabled the virus checker and just tried to send. Resulting message

next ...

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this

include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com',

Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

- thanks but that did not seem to work. I have a firewall as well - Comodo.

I actually prefer to use Mailwasher Pro as a mail screener and Thunderbird but I

read you do not support Thunderbird.

Message 5 of 15 (1,663 Views)
Employee

Okay, I found a link from AVG's support site here that has the instructions for disabling the personal email scanner specifically. The email scanner is normally what causes this kind of error. I believe it may have a different result. Would you like to give it a try?

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Tutor

Hi - I tried that but no change.

I'm still receiving but cannot send. I'm going to try disabling both the

firewall and the entire virus program temporarily.

- thanks

Message 7 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Tutor

Disabling the firewall and the virus checker at the same time did not change the

behaviour. Can receive but not send.

Message 8 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Employee

Alright, that may not be the issue then. Would it be okay if I contact you to investigate this further?

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Tutor

Hi - that last email went straight to windows mail so I can't reply to that

message from here ...

you were asking to call.  Here is my phone number ...

[Phone number removed]

Message 10 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Tutor

Hi - that last email went straight to windows mail so I can't reply to that

message from here ...

you were asking to call.  Here is my phone number ...

[Phone number removed]

Message 11 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Tutor

Hi - I just got logged out and and now back in

[Phone Number removed] is my cell number

Message 12 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Employee

Okay, I'm sorry about the wait. I will be calling you momentarily

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 15 (1,664 Views)
Contributor

It could be my antivirus keeping me from sending e mail. there is a problem with that. I reordered and installed it but I keep getting othe message that my anti-virus is notupo to date and is in danger I am using Eset -Smart SEcurity

Message 14 of 15 (1,460 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm am having problems again, sorry just adding to this thread as I get the same error message. I've had this issue 3 times (long time customer), it seems to be a different thing causing it everytime. Some help please.

Message 15 of 15 (1,067 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.