Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 23, 2008
5:23:15 PM
View profile
Hard Reset DVR?

So i am in day 2 of Uverse service...and on my 2nd svc call.  :smileysad:

While on the phone with support they informed me that holding down the OK and ArrowDown on my VIP1216 would force it to hard reboot and reload....which it doesnt.

Tried google for an answer and motorola.com, no joy.

Anyone know the key sequence to get the hard reboot/update done?

Thanks in advance....

J

While on the phone with support they informed me that holding down the OK and ArrowDown on my VIP1216 would force it to hard reboot and reload....which it doesnt.

Thanks in advance....

J

Hard Reset DVR?

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:29:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jerrtx wrote:

Thanks in advance....

J

You can do a hard reboot by pressing and holding the power button and the ok button simultaneously for about 5 seconds, or until the lights on the stb start blinking.  Then release them and the stb will do a hard reset.

Message Edited by RCSMG on 09-23-2008 05:30 PM

jerrtx wrote:

Thanks in advance....

J

You can do a hard reboot by pressing and holding the power button and the ok button simultaneously for about 5 seconds, or until the lights on the stb start blinking.  Then release them and the stb will do a hard reset.

Message Edited by RCSMG on 09-23-2008 05:30 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Hard Reset DVR?

2 of 34 (8,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:32:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks... im hoping it will help, im getting tired of having to unplug the DVR and plug it back in to just watch TV.

The issue I am having is that if i just use the power button, i get the big blue screen (and can hear audio), but video never changes.  happens every time I turn it off.  They are coming out to replace the DVR I believe tomorrow, but wanted to see if a SW download would fix the issue.

Thx for the speedy reply.

J

Thanks... im hoping it will help, im getting tired of having to unplug the DVR and plug it back in to just watch TV.

The issue I am having is that if i just use the power button, i get the big blue screen (and can hear audio), but video never changes.  happens every time I turn it off.  They are coming out to replace the DVR I believe tomorrow, but wanted to see if a SW download would fix the issue.

Thx for the speedy reply.

J

3 of 34 (8,433 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:34:33 PM
(0)
Master
are you using a hdmi cable?...
Dennis
are you using a hdmi cable?...
Dennis

4 of 34 (8,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:35:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
What problems are you having with your service?
What problems are you having with your service?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:38:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes, i am running HDMI
Yes, i am running HDMI

6 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 5:42:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Try this.  Unplug the hdmi cable from the stb and then press and hold the power button until the lights flash.  This is a soft reboot.  Then after 5 minutes plug the hdmi cable back into the stb and that should solve your problem.  The stb and the tv were having a handshake problem.  If you can try to use the shortest hdmi cable you can to connect the stb to your tv.  The shorter the better.  And you don't have to buy an expensive cable either.
Try this.  Unplug the hdmi cable from the stb and then press and hold the power button until the lights flash.  This is a soft reboot.  Then after 5 minutes plug the hdmi cable back into the stb and that should solve your problem.  The stb and the tv were having a handshake problem.  If you can try to use the shortest hdmi cable you can to connect the stb to your tv.  The shorter the better.  And you don't have to buy an expensive cable either.

7 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:05:18 PM
(0)
Master

jerrtx wrote:

Thanks in advance....

J

Holding the down arrow, the OK button and the power button at the same time, will create what is called a disaster recorvery (DR). You need to hold all those buttons at once till you see the 3 lights on the fron of the DVR/STB flash. After that, you should get a gear and in about 20 minutes or so, everything should come back after that.

Unfortunately, doing the above will most likely result in you losing any recorded items you might have.

A DR, is something in my opinion, that should only be done as a last resort, when all else has failed.

Sounds like the handshake issue with HDMI is your problem. Hopefully, RC's suggestion will help. I know it has helped others.

jerrtx wrote:

Thanks in advance....

J

Holding the down arrow, the OK button and the power button at the same time, will create what is called a disaster recorvery (DR). You need to hold all those buttons at once till you see the 3 lights on the fron of the DVR/STB flash. After that, you should get a gear and in about 20 minutes or so, everything should come back after that.

Unfortunately, doing the above will most likely result in you losing any recorded items you might have.

A DR, is something in my opinion, that should only be done as a last resort, when all else has failed.

Sounds like the handshake issue with HDMI is your problem. Hopefully, RC's suggestion will help. I know it has helped others.

8 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:05:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks so much for the solution!!!!

I spent 30 mins on the phone with U-Verse support and not once did this come up.  Someone needs to add that little gem to their troubleshooting flowchart!

J

Thanks so much for the solution!!!!

I spent 30 mins on the phone with U-Verse support and not once did this come up.  Someone needs to add that little gem to their troubleshooting flowchart!

J

9 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:09:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Glad it worked for you.  Here in the peer to peer forum we all work and learn together about how to solve issues with the Uverse services.  There are times when ts can help you with a problem and there are times when you will get help here.  If you have any other issues please let us know, we will be glad to help.  Welcome to Uverse, enjoy. :smileyvery-happy:
Glad it worked for you.  Here in the peer to peer forum we all work and learn together about how to solve issues with the Uverse services.  There are times when ts can help you with a problem and there are times when you will get help here.  If you have any other issues please let us know, we will be glad to help.  Welcome to Uverse, enjoy. :smileyvery-happy:

10 of 34 (8,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:11:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Hey Pip I thought holding the power button, the ok button, and the down arrow button would initiate the disaster recovery.  And holding the power button and the ok button just did a hard reboot..
Hey Pip I thought holding the power button, the ok button, and the down arrow button would initiate the disaster recovery.  And holding the power button and the ok button just did a hard reboot..

11 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:13:29 PM
(0)
Master

RCSMG wrote:

It does. That's the one that results in the gears and losing recordings.

I've never heard of just the OK and power button being done. I suppose it would just intialize something along the lines of a soft reset, much in the way if you try to do a DR but don't quite hold everything in at once.

I understood a hard reset to be unplugging the power cord from the back of the DVR/STB.

Message Edited by Pip on 09-23-2008 09:14 PM
Message Edited by Pip on 09-23-2008 09:15 PM

RCSMG wrote:

It does. That's the one that results in the gears and losing recordings.

I've never heard of just the OK and power button being done. I suppose it would just intialize something along the lines of a soft reset, much in the way if you try to do a DR but don't quite hold everything in at once.

I understood a hard reset to be unplugging the power cord from the back of the DVR/STB.

Message Edited by Pip on 09-23-2008 09:14 PM
Message Edited by Pip on 09-23-2008 09:15 PM

12 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:15:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I've held those two buttons in the past on my dvr and didn't lose my recordings.  It is possible that all I did was a soft reboot though.  Anything is possible.
I've held those two buttons in the past on my dvr and didn't lose my recordings.  It is possible that all I did was a soft reboot though.  Anything is possible.

13 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:15:37 PM
(0)
Teacher
I did the Power/Ok/DownArrow for 10 seconds, got the 2 Gears and it looked like it was reloading the config.  I didnt lose my recorded shows though, that was a bonus.
I did the Power/Ok/DownArrow for 10 seconds, got the 2 Gears and it looked like it was reloading the config.  I didnt lose my recorded shows though, that was a bonus.

14 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:19:39 PM
(0)
Master

jerrtx wrote:

You bet it was! :smileywink:

Best to be warned that doing a DR may result in a loss of recordings. :smileywink: I know when I have done it, I lost my recordings, however, I am hearing more now that people are not losing their recordings. My maintenance guy in our building, he did a DR and he said, just because of the look on my face, he did not lose any of his recorded items, so, who knows.

Still best to be safe on that score. :smileywink:

RC, when I first tried a DR, I had a devil of time trying to hold all 3 things at once. Not easy when you have arthritic fingers and the ned result was the equivalent of a soft reset.

You have to get the gears for a DR. :smileywink:

jerrtx wrote:

You bet it was! :smileywink:

Best to be warned that doing a DR may result in a loss of recordings. :smileywink: I know when I have done it, I lost my recordings, however, I am hearing more now that people are not losing their recordings. My maintenance guy in our building, he did a DR and he said, just because of the look on my face, he did not lose any of his recorded items, so, who knows.

Still best to be safe on that score. :smileywink:

RC, when I first tried a DR, I had a devil of time trying to hold all 3 things at once. Not easy when you have arthritic fingers and the ned result was the equivalent of a soft reset.

You have to get the gears for a DR. :smileywink:

15 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:21:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I wonder if one of the updates that ATT rolled out eliminated the issue that caused the loss of recorded programs when you do a dr?  I am not going to test the theory though.  I nominate Spd to try it. :smileywink:

When I did what I thought was a hard reboot holding the two buttons I didn't get the wheels.

Message Edited by RCSMG on 09-23-2008 06:23 PM

I wonder if one of the updates that ATT rolled out eliminated the issue that caused the loss of recorded programs when you do a dr?  I am not going to test the theory though.  I nominate Spd to try it. :smileywink:

When I did what I thought was a hard reboot holding the two buttons I didn't get the wheels.

16 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:29:56 PM
(0)
Master

RCSMG wrote:

Soft reset = push power button on the DVR/STB for 5 seconds till lights flash.

Hard reset = pull the power plug from the back of the DVR/STB for about 15 seconds.

Disaster Recovery (aka DR) = Holding the power, down arrow and OK button on the DVR/STB at the same time till the lights flash AND you see the gear on the screen. (WARNING: you might lose all your recordings when doing this!)

It's possible something was changed so you don't lose anything. I'm not about to try and find out either. Just too hard for me to do DR anyway. :smileysad:

Somehow, I don't think spd will volunteer either! :smileyvery-happy:

RCSMG wrote:

Soft reset = push power button on the DVR/STB for 5 seconds till lights flash.

Hard reset = pull the power plug from the back of the DVR/STB for about 15 seconds.

Disaster Recovery (aka DR) = Holding the power, down arrow and OK button on the DVR/STB at the same time till the lights flash AND you see the gear on the screen. (WARNING: you might lose all your recordings when doing this!)

It's possible something was changed so you don't lose anything. I'm not about to try and find out either. Just too hard for me to do DR anyway. :smileysad:

Somehow, I don't think spd will volunteer either! :smileyvery-happy:

17 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:30:45 PM
(0)
Master
long long time ago i can still remember. tier 2 had me push the ok and down arrow while unplugging the stb for 10 or 15 sec's. didn't lose recording and i don't recall what was wrong. The day the music died...
Dennis
long long time ago i can still remember. tier 2 had me push the ok and down arrow while unplugging the stb for 10 or 15 sec's. didn't lose recording and i don't recall what was wrong. The day the music died...
Dennis

18 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:34:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I nominated Spd because I know he isn't here right now.:smileyvery-happy:  But somehow I don't think he will step up and do it.
I nominated Spd because I know he isn't here right now.:smileyvery-happy:  But somehow I don't think he will step up and do it.

19 of 34 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:39:59 PM
(0)
Master

showtime48 wrote:

I know. I saw that once in a great while that someone did that, but it hasn't been brought up in a long time and it;s just as hard doing that as it is a DR.

I was thinking of just holding the 2 things in. Forgot about unplugging the power cord at the same time, because I know I can't do that! Just not coordinated enough!! :smileywink:

showtime48 wrote:

I know. I saw that once in a great while that someone did that, but it hasn't been brought up in a long time and it;s just as hard doing that as it is a DR.

I was thinking of just holding the 2 things in. Forgot about unplugging the power cord at the same time, because I know I can't do that! Just not coordinated enough!! :smileywink:

20 of 34 (8,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:44:11 PM
(0)
Master

had 2 gears  after ike   fyi

recordings still there  btw

randy    ymmv

randy    ymmv

21 of 34 (7,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:46:16 PM
(0)
Master

randyl wrote:

randy    ymmv

Something changed then, since more folks are keeping their recordings after a DR and that's a good thing. :smileywink:

randyl wrote:

randy    ymmv

Something changed then, since more folks are keeping their recordings after a DR and that's a good thing. :smileywink:

22 of 34 (7,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:50:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I think they did a fix that protects the recordings.  Dare to dream.

23 of 34 (7,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:53:49 PM
(0)
Master

RCSMG wrote:

Not even going to go there. :smileywink:

Got that goofy message about a change in schedule today when tryin g to set a recording and all I did was a soft reset and it fixed that.

I'd to have a lot less things in my list of recordings before I would even consider doing a DR. Last time, I waited till I got it down to maybe 3 movies, which I knew would be shown again and sure enough, they were gone afterwards, but that was back in December, IIRC.

RCSMG wrote:

Not even going to go there. :smileywink:

Got that goofy message about a change in schedule today when tryin g to set a recording and all I did was a soft reset and it fixed that.

I'd to have a lot less things in my list of recordings before I would even consider doing a DR. Last time, I waited till I got it down to maybe 3 movies, which I knew would be shown again and sure enough, they were gone afterwards, but that was back in December, IIRC.

24 of 34 (7,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:56:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I would try it if I started having some serious issues with my dvr.  I would do it before I would ask to have it replaced, because either way I would lose the recordings.  And right now it seems like ther eis a chance the recordings wouldn't be lost.
I would try it if I started having some serious issues with my dvr.  I would do it before I would ask to have it replaced, because either way I would lose the recordings.  And right now it seems like ther eis a chance the recordings wouldn't be lost.

25 of 34 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 6:59:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Way back last December I was told by the installer that the disaster recovery was similar to doing a complete reinstall of the operating system on a computer.  Thus all recordings (data files) were destroyed.  Perhaps this procedure has been changed and all it does is refresh the OS without wiping the recorded material.  Oh heck....I'm just speculating.

WE WANT THDVR IN KANSAS CITY......NOW:smileywink:

Phil

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Way back last December I was told by the installer that the disaster recovery was similar to doing a complete reinstall of the operating system on a computer.  Thus all recordings (data files) were destroyed.  Perhaps this procedure has been changed and all it does is refresh the OS without wiping the recorded material.  Oh heck....I'm just speculating.

Phil

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

26 of 34 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 7:35:32 PM
(0)
Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Phil

That's how I always looked at it Phil, with a soft reset maybe being the equivalent to just rebooting your computer and maybe doing a repair of the OS as the in between? (ie: hard reboot) :smileywink:

I hear you RC.

hpmsrm wrote:

Phil

That's how I always looked at it Phil, with a soft reset maybe being the equivalent to just rebooting your computer and maybe doing a repair of the OS as the in between? (ie: hard reboot) :smileywink:

I hear you RC.

27 of 34 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 9:47:07 PM
(0)
Expert

I heard that! :smileyvery-happy:  I was actually supposed to try it months ago, but now I'm behind on watching recordings....soon...

RCSMG wrote:

I heard that! :smileyvery-happy:  I was actually supposed to try it months ago, but now I'm behind on watching recordings....soon...

RCSMG wrote:

28 of 34 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 8:40:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Spd I am thinking about doing it after I watch a few of the shows I have recorded.  Probably sometime this weekend.  I will let you all know what happened once I do it.  Just call me Mikey.:smileywink:
Spd I am thinking about doing it after I watch a few of the shows I have recorded.  Probably sometime this weekend.  I will let you all know what happened once I do it.  Just call me Mikey.:smileywink:

29 of 34 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 11:35:48 AM
(0)
Expert
O-tay, I let you do it, Mikey...I'll check later to see if you ate your Life!
O-tay, I let you do it, Mikey...I'll check later to see if you ate your Life!

30 of 34 (7,569 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments