Hallmark program question

Highlighted
Teacher

Hallmark program question

I know that questions about the Hallmark channel are a sore subject around here and most of the threads have been locked but this is a slightly different question about Hallmark so I'll brave the waters.

We are Comcast customers so why am I here?  We had an AT&T sales person come knocking on our door today trying to get us to switch to AT&T.  They come around once a year like clock work.  When I tell them one of the big reasons I won't leave Comcast is I won't give up my Hallmark Channel...especially just before the Holidays!  The sales person was trying to tell me that I could watch all the Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime.  Can an AT& T U-verse customer confirm or deny this? Was I being sold a bill of goods or can you watch NEW - First run Hallmark movies on Encore? 

Last year the AT&T door to door salesman told me that AT&T had developed their own Hallmark type channel with their own movies.  I'm also wondering if that was true or not.

Thanks in advance,

Utahtea
Message 1 of 10 (982 Views)
Explorer

Re: Hallmark program question

In my neighborhood, ppl trying to sell U-verse were flat out telling potential customers that Hallmark was going to be back on by years end.

Message 2 of 10 (957 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

utahtea writes, "The sales person was trying to tell me that I could watch all the Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime.  Can an AT& T U-verse customer confirm or deny this? Was I being sold a bill of goods or can you watch NEW - First run Hallmark movies on Encore?"

Yes, you were "sold a bill of goods" specifically by this one individual. (And, no, that is not confirmation coming from AT&T U-verse.)

The best one can do for himself is research a channels lineup from a given provider of cable television programming before committing to becoming a subscriber. The information is available on the Internet, usually at a company's website as well as a programming guide provided by a site like zap2it.com (where you enter your zip code and specify the provider).

A mistake made by many is that they go on the assumption that the pricing is the only focus. Some are interested in receiver equipment. But there are many who conduct themselves as though they think that all providers have the same lineup. No. The most popular brands (like ESPN, Nickelodeon, TBS, TNT, MTV, Discovery et al. along with one's regional sports programmer and premium movies brands HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime…) are available, yes, but the lineups are not duplicated. AT&T U-verse doesn't carry Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, and NHL Network. Comcast doesn't carry Boomerang, HDNet Movies, and Sony Movie Channel. (And I think it hasn't yet added Fox Sports 2, which took over for Fuel TV.) DirecTV doesn't carry G4 (which is about to be renamed Esquire). Dish Network doesn't carry …  I think you probably understand. And this is also true with linear high definition from numerous programmers, perhaps because of technological reasons concerning broadband capacity from cable television providers (cable and satellite companies). That we are, say, another five years away from all programmers' high defintion getting carried by providers who have in their lineups those programmers in standard definition.

The reason why there are people who feel tired of these "Hallmark" threads is because a good amount of the messages come across as trollish. That they arouse suspicion. Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel left the lineup of AT&T U-verse, due to whatever specific contractual reasons for which a new carriage agreement was not reached, after August 31, 2010. I am one who thinks they will get returned; yet I'm not willing to predict an estimated date. For that to happen, I believe it would be attributed to a deal having become reached that is more appealing to AT&T U-verse than owner Crown Media. That it is AT&T U-verse which has more leverage here because, in part, the provider hasn't lost subscribers over the losses of those programmers. Had that been the case, I believe AT&T U-verse would have put a stop to the bleeding by urgently getting a new agreement with Crown Media that may have even been a bad deal for AT&T U-verse. After all, it is less costly and actually easier for a cable television provider to keep existing subscribers than to win over new ones. 

Message 3 of 10 (911 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Basically they were telling you a not so little, white lie.

I'm sure what the salesperson was saying is that you can watch Hallmark Movie Channel type movies on Encore (Love) and Lifetime.  Not quite the same thing but some anti-Hallmark folks, on here, say the same thing, lol.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10 (830 Views)
ACE - Master

utahtea wrote:

I know that questions about the Hallmark channel are a sore subject around here and most of the threads have been locked but this is a slightly different question about Hallmark so I'll brave the waters.

We are Comcast customers so why am I here?  We had an AT&T sales person come knocking on our door today trying to get us to switch to AT&T.  They come around once a year like clock work.  When I tell them one of the big reasons I won't leave Comcast is I won't give up my Hallmark Channel...especially just before the Holidays!  The sales person was trying to tell me that I could watch all the Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime.  Can an AT& T U-verse customer confirm or deny this? Was I being sold a bill of goods or can you watch NEW - First run Hallmark movies on Encore? 

Last year the AT&T door to door salesman told me that AT&T had developed their own Hallmark type channel with their own movies.  I'm also wondering if that was true or not.

Thanks in advance,

"....Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime..."

That statement doesn't even make any sense.  How or why would anyone believe that? 

Like someone stated, you should've gotten a channel lineup IN WRITING or, as I did 7 years ago, tell them to come back tomorrow after I've done a little research.

HGTV and DIY was very important to me so I didn't sign ANYTHING until I saw a PRINTED channel lineup. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (807 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

LoveHD wrote:

utahtea writes, "The sales person was trying to tell me that I could watch all the Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime.  Can an AT& T U-verse customer confirm or deny this? Was I being sold a bill of goods or can you watch NEW - First run Hallmark movies on Encore?"

Yes, you were "sold a bill of goods" specifically by this one individual. (And, no, that is not confirmation coming from AT&T U-verse.)

The best one can do for himself is research a channels lineup from a given provider of cable television programming before committing to becoming a subscriber. The information is available on the Internet, usually at a company's website as well as a programming guide provided by a site like zap2it.com (where you enter your zip code and specify the provider).

A mistake made by many is that they go on the assumption that the pricing is the only focus....

The reason why there are people who feel tired of these "Hallmark" threads is because a good amount of the messages come across as trollish. That they arouse suspicion.....

They did give us a list of channels and of course Hallmark isn't on it.  We do our research. Smiley Happy

Price is important but so is the speed and quality.  Two years ago we let an AT&T Saleman into the house to discuss prices and what we would be getting.  AT&T's price was lower because we weren't getting the same speed internet.  At the time I needed it for work so we said "goodbye"

I might not currently have any AT&T services but you can see I'm a long time member.  I like to come here to do my research before I make a decision.  The forums are a great place to get the "real" answers!

Utahtea
Message 6 of 10 (749 Views)
Teacher

dhascall wrote:

Basically they were telling you a not so little, white lie.

I'm sure what the salesperson was saying is that you can watch Hallmark Movie Channel type movies on Encore (Love) and Lifetime.  Not quite the same thing but some anti-Hallmark folks, on here, say the same thing, lol.

I told this saleslady that last year the saleman told me AT&T had a new channel that did Hallmark like programming and I wasn't interested in that.  She specifially told me that I could watch the ACTUAL Hallmark movies on Encore and the Hallmark programs on Lifetime.  I didn't believe her.  I should have gotten her name and reported her.

Utahtea
Message 7 of 10 (743 Views)
Teacher

skeeterintexas wrote:

utahtea wrote:

Thanks in advance,

"....Hallmark Movies on Encore and all the Hallmark shows on Lifetime..."

That statement doesn't even make any sense. How or why would anyone believe that? 

I agree, it didn't make any sense to me either but on the slight chance it was true I came here!  I didn't believe her and there is no way I would have signed up without researching it.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  You just confirmed what I figured to be true.  Next time I'll get the salespersons name!

Utahtea
Message 8 of 10 (739 Views)
ACE - Master

YEARS ago...before Total Home DVR...I got into a HUGE argument with a sales rep who was trying to sign my brother up.  My brother actually did a conference call: brother/me/salesman because he had asked me about watching recordings on any box and he was not happy about that limitation at that time. 

This saleslady swore up and down that you could schedule and watch any program from any box.  Remember, this must've been 5+ years ago when we had a DVR and a STB...before the two worked together.  

No matter what I said, she wouldn't back down.  Did she just want to make a sale so she was telling my brother anything he wanted to hear or was mis-informed?  Who knows.

Message 9 of 10 (733 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

No offense to sales reps … but they should not be relied on for accurate information.

I'm in an area where Comcast has a huge presence. A sales rep came to my front door about a month ago. I saw the "xfinity" logo on his shirt and said, "So, you're from Comcast?" And he said, "I'm here to tell you about xfinity."

The man, who was in his 20s, sounded serious.

I could tell he would likely not be terribly informed about the product outside of giving me pricing. If I had asked him, "Does Comcast have Sony Movie Channel? Will Comcast be getting Fox Sports 2 (which took over for Fuel)?" His response would have been, "I'm not from Comcast; I'm with xfinity."

What I mentioned earlier about the channels lineup of any given provider should be applied by a consumer who considers every provider of availability. One can talk up all he wants; by not doing the research into a provider's channels lineup, it's not anyone who suffers with disappointment and/or grief but the consumer who signed on without being informed.

Message 10 of 10 (651 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.