HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

Contributor

HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

I was able to successfully set up Remote Desktop Connection so it works WITHIN my home LAN, but when I attempt to initiate a connection OUTSIDE of my home LAN from my Work-PC to my Home-PC it fails (cannot find the PC on the network, etc.).

FROM (Work) PC

Windows-7 Home Premium

TO (Home) PC

Windows-7 Professional w/ Remote Access enabled to my account

U-verse 3800HGV-B Gateway w/ XP Remote Desktop and XP Remote Assistant applications fowarded.

And no, I do not want to just go use LogMeIn or some other 3rd party software solution.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Message 1 of 18
Highlighted

Re: HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

rickyaliasgar wrote:
You need to use 3rd party remote support tools such VPN, or gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. as you wish to establish remote connection outside your LAN. You can use Microsoft default RDC tool only if all computers are on same network or LAN. If computers are on different networks or LANS, you need to use the above mentioned tools or can even consider deploying on premise remote support appliance such as Bomgar or RHUB appliances.

That is totally incorrect.  I work technical support for a software company and we use LogMeIn Rescue 99% of the time.  However last week I was trying to remote into someone computer that was on a terminal server and it wouldn't work.  I was able to use RDP to login to their network and fix what I needed to fix. 

At home I have used RDP to log into my mom's computer and help he with an issue.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 18
Tutor

As a tech who uses Teamviewer and RDP among other 3rd party remote tools I promise you that RDP is MUCH MUCH better than any of them. Depending on your internet connection, you can RDP into another computer and completely forget that you are actually on a remote computer. It is that fluid. However with the thrid party tools you are frequently met with lag no matter how great your internet connection is. We use both VNC and Teamviewer at my work. Speedtest.net shows 70mbps on our DL speed and 12 up and VNC and teamviewer WITHIN network still has a bit of lag. However I can RDP and like I said before forget that I have RDP'ed. The third party tools has it's uses if you need access right away if you do not have access to make the proper configurations. But if you have the means then I highly recommend using RDP if you want the best performance.

Message 17 of 18
Expert

D_in_FL wrote:

As a tech who uses Teamviewer and RDP among other 3rd party remote tools I promise you that RDP is MUCH MUCH better than any of them. Depending on your internet connection, you can RDP into another computer and completely forget that you are actually on a remote computer. It is that fluid. However with the thrid party tools you are frequently met with lag no matter how great your internet connection is. We use both VNC and Teamviewer at my work. Speedtest.net shows 70mbps on our DL speed and 12 up and VNC and teamviewer WITHIN network still has a bit of lag. However I can RDP and like I said before forget that I have RDP'ed. The third party tools has it's uses if you need access right away if you do not have access to make the proper configurations. But if you have the means then I highly recommend using RDP if you want the best performance.

Totally seconded.

RDP rules over every other remote desktop program.  Even when the latency is high such that other remote desktop programs have horrible lag, RDP almost always feels like your right in front of the machine.

IMO, lowest latency feel of the various remote desktop programs falls in roughly this order, from fastest to slowest:

1. RDP
  2. VMware vSphere client (VM has VMware Tools installed)
  3. TeamViewer
  4. LogMeIn
  5. VNC
  6. VMware vSphere client (VM does not have VMware Tools installed)

Message 18 of 18
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support