HD programming kills my Apple Airport WiFi Network

Contributor

HD programming kills my Apple Airport WiFi Network

Hi.

I've been wrestling with a problem for over a month now (since the day my U-verse was installed).  My WiFi Internet access has been intermittent.  In the last week, I've come to see a pattern, and now I know exactly when my WiFi will drop out:  whenever my U-verse DVR is receiving a live HD feed (whether or not it is recording the feed).  

My WiFi access point is an Apple AirportExtreme.  The U-verse residential gateway's WiFi is disabled (I do not want or need two WiFi networks running at the same time).  I must use Apple for WiFi because I have an office that is too far away from the U-verse RG to get solid signal, and I cannot get wired Ethernet to that location-- so I use a second Airport to create a wireless bridge. That cannot be done with the u-verse RG. 

So WiFi works great Most of the time.  If I kick on the u-verse DVR on a standard def program, no problems.  But it I tune to a hi-def program, WiFi drops out.  I still appear to have 4 bars of signal strength to the AiportExtreme, mind you; but I cannot access anything--no bandwidth at all.  If connect my laptop directly to the Airport with an Ethernet cable, I get full bandwidth.  

Im baffled!!  Any suggestions?   

Message 1 of 5 (309 Views)
Employee

Re: HD programming kills my Apple Airport WiFi Network

[ Edited ]

The dvr should be directly connected to the RG, if ethernet (suspect it is) into yellow port.
Issue sounds as if on a switch sharing traffic, HD uses three times bandwidth as SD.
Muliticast iptv needs own port not shared with internet devices.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (302 Views)
Teacher

I think you have something wired improperly. It is hard to tell from your post, but it sounds like multicast packets are getting somewhere they shouldn't.

You need your DVR plugged into one port in your RG and an Airport plugged into another, this is important so that the IPTV traffic is segregated. Once that occurs the Airports won't even see your TV traffic and there shoudln't be an issue.

Message 3 of 5 (292 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

tauchris wrote:

Hi.

I've been wrestling with a problem for over a month now (since the day my U-verse was installed).  My WiFi Internet access has been intermittent.  In the last week, I've come to see a pattern, and now I know exactly when my WiFi will drop out:  whenever my U-verse DVR is receiving a live HD feed (whether or not it is recording the feed).  

My WiFi access point is an Apple AirportExtreme.  The U-verse residential gateway's WiFi is disabled (I do not want or need two WiFi networks running at the same time).  I must use Apple for WiFi because I have an office that is too far away from the U-verse RG to get solid signal, and I cannot get wired Ethernet to that location-- so I use a second Airport to create a wireless bridge. That cannot be done with the u-verse RG. 

So WiFi works great Most of the time.  If I kick on the u-verse DVR on a standard def program, no problems.  But it I tune to a hi-def program, WiFi drops out.  I still appear to have 4 bars of signal strength to the AiportExtreme, mind you; but I cannot access anything--no bandwidth at all.  If connect my laptop directly to the Airport with an Ethernet cable, I get full bandwidth.  

Im baffled!!  Any suggestions?   

Use this setup from Computer Joe and you'll have no problems:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Using-my-own-router-is-this-possible/m-p/2558691#M21476

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5 (271 Views)
ACE - Expert

I just want to mention that if your Airport Extreme is connected to the same switch that the DVR is then you'll run into the same problems, because the RG will be putting the multicast stream out to the switch because the DVR is there, and the Airport Extreme will get the signal and try to send it over the WiFi network (not a good thing).

Do be sure that your DVR and STBs are on separate RG ports from your wireless data network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (262 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.