Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

Teacher

Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

I've had UVerse for over a year now, and one feature I still really miss from DISH is the fact that the HD and SD channels are sorted so that they are next to each other.

 

Example:

 

200 CNN

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

210 TWC HD

 

Plus DISH had an option to hide the SD channel if there was an HD channel.

 

Example:  Note: Channel numbers and order is made up

 

190 FOXNEWS

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

201 HIST HD

 

These features solve many problems:

 

  1. Shortens the guide.
    Since you don't have to scroll through both an SD and HD of the same channel.
  2. Makes scrolling the guide faster since you don't have to browse the guide twice.
    e.g. 300-400 and 1300-1400. 
  3. Helps you not "forget" SD only channels.  
    Currently if I'm in the 1000+ channels, I'm not seeing what is on for the SD channels, and forget to look in the SD range (<1000).  This is especially the case for yonger kids who don't understand.  And its usually the kids channels that don't always have HD versions of channels.
  4. Helps family members view the HD version of the channel.
    I can't tell you how many times I see a family member watching an SD version of a channel (stretched with black letterbox bars) instead of watching it in HD.

 

 

Message 1 of 25 (2,632 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

I keep seeing the word "channels" pop up. A tech told me that U-Verse uses streams of internet data as opposed to traditional "channels."

 

I wonder if this could be why U-Verse is different from other providers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 25 (2,109 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request


baseballisback wrote:

I keep seeing the word "channels" pop up. A tech told me that U-Verse uses streams of internet data as opposed to traditional "channels."

 

I wonder if this could be why U-Verse is different from other providers.


 

You get 4 streams max.

 

You can have hundreds of channels depending on your package.

 

Big difference.

 

(My momma used to call the soap operas her 'shows' too.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 25 (2,095 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

baseballisback - I notice that you posted this against the HD/SD feature thread & you say - I wonder if this(streams as opposed to channels) could be why U-Verse is different from other providers.

I think it makes a big difference in how many channels can be accessed simultaneously & how large a catalog of available channels there can be.

It is fairly obvious that if only four streams/channels can enter the house simultaneously it is limiting for a house full of viewers, but adequate for the average number of viewers.

Whereas a cable system delivers all the channels they carry into the house & each TV selects which single channel to view. With this system it is good for many viewer households but has the disadvantage of running out of transport bandwidth when adding new channels. With HD and analog channels eating more bandwidth. Also, cable systems have to juggle channel number assignments to pick a compatible frequency to use for transport.

On the other hand, U-verse just needs to pick a channel out of the catalog to assign to an available stream when the request to view comes in. So, if there were no regulatory/contractual restrictions U-verse could have every channel in the world available - just include letters and make a bigger channel number to select it and place it on the stream. No bandwidth restrictions on the channel catalog.

Even recordings and on-demand are just more channels in the catalog.

But, I think it does not affect how to handle SD vs. HD. That is an issue of which should be favored & how transparent can it be. I think transparency is a myth & favored has had a seismic shift from SD to HD.

I do appreciate the meaningful number scheme that U-verse grouped categories of channels with the big one being SD vs HD. But, they were short sighted on the SD vs HD side. They should have realized that the seismic shift would occur rather quickly & numbered HD below 1000 & SD above 1000. But, that is easily corrected.

To revisit transparency with HD on numbers below 1000, there would be SD only channels mixed in. This would be OK if there is only one entry in the guide for channels that have both SD & HD.

All that is left is how to select the SD channel if there is stream contention. If that can be accomplished easily, then it would be a good design. If not - that is why transparency is a myth.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 25 (2,070 Views)

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

I don't watch a whole lot of channels , but this is a huge annoyance along with several others that are quickly making uverse the worst of available options IMO. I have only had uverse for two days (sick days) and I'm seriously disappointing. Coming from directv which had the best actual tv service combined with the worst possible customer service especially billing I'm wondering if I made a mistake switching. Even Comcast has the clever thing mentioned above letting you know you have a HD option.

I switched because it's suppose to be the latest greatest in technology and AT&T billing and customer service is awesome the exact OPPOSITE of directv & Comcast. With AT&T the bill WILL actually be what they say it's going to be & if you have a problem you can pick up the phone and have the problem addressed immediately, not in 3 weeks for $100 fee.

Sorry this turned into a rant about how much comcast and directv SUCK but yes Uverse! Add this feature! It's an important one!!!!

Have to deal with this one every time I channel surf. At least the poor customer service people at directv and comcast I only have to deal with every other month.

What other little annoyance are there I haven't noticed yet? Sorry

End rant
Message 19 of 25 (1,532 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

[ Edited ]

gixxerhoff750 wrote:
I don't watch a whole lot of channels , but this is a huge annoyance along with several others that are quickly making uverse the worst of available options IMO. I have only had uverse for two days (sick days) and I'm seriously disappointing. Coming from directv which had the best actual tv service combined with the worst possible customer service especially billing I'm wondering if I made a mistake switching. Even Comcast has the clever thing mentioned above letting you know you have a HD option.

I switched because it's suppose to be the latest greatest in technology and AT&T billing and customer service is awesome the exact OPPOSITE of directv & Comcast. With AT&T the bill WILL actually be what they say it's going to be & if you have a problem you can pick up the phone and have the problem addressed immediately, not in 3 weeks for $100 fee.

Sorry this turned into a rant about how much comcast and directv SUCK but yes Uverse! Add this feature! It's an important one!!!!

Have to deal with this one every time I channel surf. At least the poor customer service people at directv and comcast I only have to deal with every other month.

What other little annoyance are there I haven't noticed yet? Sorry

End rant

If I understand your rant correctly, the only thing that you do not like so far about U-Verse is how the SD and HD channels are placed? A lot of us like the  fact that all you have to do is to add a "1" before the SD channel number in order to get the HD version as well as the fact that all of the HD channels are together rather than scattered around.

 

You state that you have only had U-Verse for two days, yet you registered for this forum on June 9, 2007.

 

It is so nice that you have such a negative attitude about U-Verse two days after you get the service when you ask, "What other little annoyance are there I haven't noticed yet?"

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 25 (1,502 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request


dwinth wrote:

If I understand your rant correctly, the only thing that you do not like so far about U-Verse is how the SD and HD channels are placed? A lot of us like the  fact that all you have to do is to add a "1" before the SD channel number in order to get the HD version as well as the fact that all of the HD channels are together rather than scattered around.

 

You state that you have only had U-Verse for two days, yet you registered for this forum on June 9, 2007.

 

It is so nice that you have such a negative attitude about U-Verse two days after you get the service when you ask, "What other little annoyance are there I haven't noticed yet?"

 


He signed up for the Wireless side of the message board. There's no reason for him to make a new usernaem just for the U-Verse section. Not to mention he has a point with teh HD/SD cahnnels. 

 

I would love for it to be that the HD channels are just "there" instead of having to add a 1 to teh beginning. If I tune to Channel 2, it shoudl automaticially give me the HD feed of channel 2 instead of having to remember that the HD channel is 1002. 

 

I would actually watch more SD channels this way because when I channel surf (or guide hop) I'll start at the real beginning instead of in the 1000s.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 25 (1,490 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request


americangame wrote:

dwinth wrote:

If I understand your rant correctly, the only thing that you do not like so far about U-Verse is how the SD and HD channels are placed? A lot of us like the  fact that all you have to do is to add a "1" before the SD channel number in order to get the HD version as well as the fact that all of the HD channels are together rather than scattered around.

 

You state that you have only had U-Verse for two days, yet you registered for this forum on June 9, 2007.

 

It is so nice that you have such a negative attitude about U-Verse two days after you get the service when you ask, "What other little annoyance are there I haven't noticed yet?"

 


He signed up for the Wireless side of the message board. There's no reason for him to make a new usernaem just for the U-Verse section. Not to mention he has a point with teh HD/SD cahnnels. 

 

I would love for it to be that the HD channels are just "there" instead of having to add a 1 to teh beginning. If I tune to Channel 2, it shoudl automaticially give me the HD feed of channel 2 instead of having to remember that the HD channel is 1002. 

 

I would actually watch more SD channels this way because when I channel surf (or guide hop) I'll start at the real beginning instead of in the 1000s.


Everyone has his or her's own preference in regards to channel configuration. I prefer the way U-Verse has it currently. I do not watch any SD channels, but watch the HD versions only, even on analog televisions.

 

When I channel surf, I have less channels to go through as a result.

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 25 (1,486 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

If I had the HD technology fee (which I don't), I still would likely record such things as the local news in SD quality, so I like the ability to select SD vs HD by channel number.

 

No single plan is going to make everyone happy.  Having multiple vendors with different mechanisms means you can vote for your favorite with your wallet.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 25 (1,480 Views)
Teacher

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

That is the beauty of Dish and DirectTV's design. You go into preferences and select
HD only
SD only
HD and SD (see both in guide)
HD or SD (SD if no HD version is avail). << feature I want

So I don't know what the fuss is about. Everyone can have their cake and eat it how they want. No one is trying to take your ability to only watch HD channels away.
Message 24 of 25 (1,433 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request


heyradar wrote:
That is the beauty of Dish and DirectTV's design. You go into preferences and select
HD only
SD only
HD and SD (see both in guide)
HD or SD (SD if no HD version is avail). << feature I want

So I don't know what the fuss is about. Everyone can have their cake and eat it how they want. No one is trying to take your ability to only watch HD channels away.

That's the beauty (or often "ugly") of forums like this.  One person will have an absolutely wonderful idea or suggestion and then you get a few "I don't like that," or "I would never use that."   Truthfully, Microsoft did not do much with the Mediaroom platform over the last two years.  Now that Ericsson has it, we may seem more optional functionality, like that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 25 (1,424 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.