Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

Teacher

Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

I've had UVerse for over a year now, and one feature I still really miss from DISH is the fact that the HD and SD channels are sorted so that they are next to each other.

Example:

200 CNN

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

210 TWC HD

Plus DISH had an option to hide the SD channel if there was an HD channel.

Example:  Note: Channel numbers and order is made up

190 FOXNEWS

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

201 HIST HD

These features solve many problems:

1. Shortens the guide.
    Since you don't have to scroll through both an SD and HD of the same channel.
  2. Makes scrolling the guide faster since you don't have to browse the guide twice.
    e.g. 300-400 and 1300-1400. 
  3. Helps you not "forget" SD only channels.  
    Currently if I'm in the 1000+ channels, I'm not seeing what is on for the SD channels, and forget to look in the SD range (<1000).  This is especially the case for yonger kids who don't understand.  And its usually the kids channels that don't always have HD versions of channels.
  4. Helps family members view the HD version of the channel.
    I can't tell you how many times I see a family member watching an SD version of a channel (stretched with black letterbox bars) instead of watching it in HD.

Message 1 of 25 (2,631 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Group HD and SD Channels Feature Request

[ Edited ]

NO...THANK...YOU..... 

I LIKE having the SDs in the smaller channels (<1000) and the HDs in the 1000s.  There are many of us that only watch HD channels and go straight to the higher numbers when browsing.  If they were all mixed in with the SDs, it would be a P I T A.

I suppose in a perfect world, it would be an option.  For our household, the only channels that we watch that don't have an HD equivalent is BBCAmerica & WE.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 25 (2,611 Views)
Teacher

Just to be clear, I wanted it to filter SD channels when there is an HD version available.  So its not like you'd see every SD channel between your HD channels.

In the end, I have the same goal; I'm wanting my family to watch more HD channels.  They get stuck down the SD channels and never go back to the HD channels because of the hassle.  They'd rather watch the SD versions than deal with going back and forth between the SD and HD channels.

If you had to go back and forth between the Nick, Toon, and Disney channels (the 3xx and 13xx ranges) when you are trying to see what is on, I think you'd understand what I'm getting at.

PS. I think there is a Shortcut to list just HD channels.

Message 3 of 25 (2,599 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

skeeterintexas wrote:

NO...THANK...YOU..... 

I LIKE having the SDs in the smaller channels (<1000) and the HDs in the 1000s.  There are many of us that only watch HD channels and go straight to the higher numbers when browsing.  If they were all mixed in with the SDs, it would be a P I T A.

I suppose in a perfect world, it would be an option.  For our household, the only channels that we watch that don't have an HD equivalent is BBCAmerica & WE.

Yes, thank you. Smiley Very Happy  I would love for them to be grouped.  I would also love the warning banner that Comcast uses if watching in SD.  "Did you know that you could watch this program in HD on channel XXXX?"

heyradar: I feel ya!  My wife will start browing at channel 4, then 6, 8 and so on.  If they were grouped in the Guide, she could choose an HD.  Yes I could hide them but she would say :"4 is missing!" Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 25 (2,598 Views)
ACE - Expert

heyradar wrote:

Just to be clear, I wanted it to filter SD channels when there is an HD version available.  So its not like you'd see every SD channel between your HD channels.

In the end, I have the same goal; I'm wanting my family to watch more HD channels.  They get stuck down the SD channels and never go back to the HD channels because of the hassle.  They'd rather watch the SD versions than deal with going back and forth between the SD and HD channels.

If you had to go back and forth between the Nick, Toon, and Disney channels (the 3xx and 13xx ranges) when you are trying to see what is on, I think you'd understand what I'm getting at.

PS. I think there is a Shortcut to list just HD channels.

No thanks, I have no interest in even seeing what's on the channels below 1002, I'm an HD snob. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 5 of 25 (2,562 Views)
Expert

heyradar wrote:

I've had UVerse for over a year now, and one feature I still really miss from DISH is the fact that the HD and SD channels are sorted so that they are next to each other.

Example:

200 CNN

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

210 TWC HD

Plus DISH had an option to hide the SD channel if there was an HD channel.

Example:  Note: Channel numbers and order is made up

190 FOXNEWS

200 CNN HD

210 TWC

201 HIST HD  

I had Dish before I switched to U-verse.  I remember their channel numbering for SD and HD channels.  Hated it!

Message 6 of 25 (2,535 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Was that before they had the option to filter SD channels from the guide? 

I know when I first went to HD it was annoying until they came out with the SD filter. 

Message 7 of 25 (2,518 Views)
Tutor

I agree. DTV had the option to hide SD channels that I never use. I don't plan on using any SD with Uverse and there really should be an easier way to hide them all.

Message 8 of 25 (2,342 Views)
Expert

heylee wrote:

I agree. DTV had the option to hide SD channels that I never use. I don't plan on using any SD with Uverse and there really should be an easier way to hide them all.

That's easy.  Only surf between channels 1000 - 1999 where the HD channels are located.  No need to bother hiding channels.

Message 9 of 25 (2,313 Views)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

heylee wrote:

That's easy.  Only surf between channels 1000 - 1999 where the HD channels are located.  No need to bother hiding channels.

TG, can you tell this to my wife?  She won't listen to me.  She starts at Channel 4 and goes up.  Maybe a "plus 1000 button" is needed?

Message 10 of 25 (2,278 Views)
ACE - Expert

Dave, just hide all of the SD couterparts to HD channels. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Message 11 of 25 (2,276 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:
TG, can you tell this to my wife?  She won't listen to me.  She starts at Channel 4 and goes up.  Maybe a "plus 1000 button" is needed?

LOL.  Does your wife perfer to watch programs in SD?

Whenever I am random surfing, I enter "1000" on the remote and go from there.  I have honestly never understood why those who only want to watch HD channels have such a big need to hide the SD channels in the Guide.  With the way the channels are numbered on U-verse, If you surf between channels 1000 and 1999, you will only see HD channels.

Message 12 of 25 (2,257 Views)
ACE - Expert

Very occasionally I browse thru the remaing SD channels to see what's on. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Message 13 of 25 (2,226 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

LOL.  Does your wife perfer to watch programs in SD?

Whenever I am random surfing, I enter "1000" on the remote and go from there.  I have honestly never understood why those who only want to watch HD channels have such a big need to hide the SD channels in the Guide.  With the way the channels are numbered on U-verse, If you surf between channels 1000 and 1999, you will only see HD channels.

Lol, no.  I think that some of it is that "it all looks the same to me" mentality.  BUT she has trouble with the remote and sometimes she gets emotional about it.  See, she has Diabetic neuropathy which has taken away her ability to feel.  So, it's much easier for her to press "4" than it is to press "1-0-0-4."  Yes I could hide the SD and maybe she could use Favorites but the latter would require as many key presses and she would be worse off.  I would like if U-Verse had a Comcast-like reminder, such as "You are watching this program in Standard Definition, press Okay to change to HD or Exit to remain on the channel."  One key press to get to HD.

We also still have one non-HD TV.  We were going to replace that one, too but since my one day/week Furlough starts up exactly one month from today (sucks to be me, right?), we may have to shelve that idea.

Message 14 of 25 (2,189 Views)
Scholar

I believe it has to do with the software capabilities with the cable industry providers of television programming. That most of them have software identifying the SD and HD as separate channels, and that they have to be assigned different numbers. And, by contrast, DirecTV and Dish Network have software allowing same channel numbers to be assigned to both a given programmer's linear SD and HD.

Message 15 of 25 (2,132 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.