Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 27, 2013
12:24:53 PM
Groan, internet scheduling broken again

What's the point of having a website to schedule recordings if it keeps failing to connect to my DVR? This occurs at least 50% of the time, and I find it totally annoying. Anyone else getting this irritating message that tells you nothing about how to fix it or what went wrong? How about a message that says it will keep trying and will e-mail me when the scheduling request is successful? BTW, there is nothing wrong with my Internet connection and all other Uverse services are functional and working when this message displays. AARRGGH!

What's the point of having a website to schedule recordings if it keeps failing to connect to my DVR? This occurs at least 50% of the time, and I find it totally annoying. Anyone else getting this irritating message that tells you nothing about how to fix it or what went wrong? How about a message that says it will keep trying and will e-mail me when the scheduling request is successful? BTW, there is nothing wrong with my Internet connection and all other Uverse services are functional and working when this message displays. AARRGGH!

Groan, internet scheduling broken again

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 6:07:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Try an unplug/plug in for 30 seconds hard reboot of the RG and see if it can then communicate w/the Web Remote:

http://uversetv.att.yahoo.com/wra/uverse/ Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Try an unplug/plug in for 30 seconds hard reboot of the RG and see if it can then communicate w/the Web Remote:

http://uversetv.att.yahoo.com/wra/uverse/ Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Groan, internet scheduling broken again

2 of 4 (7,405 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 6:39:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Chris, that might be a solution if I was at home and could get to it. The reason the internet interface is so convenient is that I should be able to use it away from home. In any case, rebooting the RG should hardly be a requirement every time I want to remotely schedule a program via the web interface.

For the record, I've tried rebooting it and got the same problem. Apparently the problem was caused by a system error at Uverse regarding the program I wanted to record. When I went to do it directly from the DVR, I was told that the program had to be entered manually because of a scheduling or programming change by the provider (Starz.)

Clueless error messages, like "Error -15603b" on your computer, are useless and show lazy programming on the developer's part. Tell me what the error is so I can either understand it, work around it or fix it.

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for the web interface to verify the DVR connection prior to the scheduling attempt. That way, if the DVR can't be reached, the user wouldn't waste his or her time attempting to search for a program and schedule it.

I'm not a developer, but I've come to appreciate user interfaces that are intelligently designed and communicate with the user, not frustrate them. I happen to be pretty comfortable with technology so once I was able to get to my DVR I was able to understand that there was a programming error at Uverse with the program I wanted to record. If I could unravel that problem from the DVR, why not display the same error message on the web interface?

Chris, that might be a solution if I was at home and could get to it. The reason the internet interface is so convenient is that I should be able to use it away from home. In any case, rebooting the RG should hardly be a requirement every time I want to remotely schedule a program via the web interface.

For the record, I've tried rebooting it and got the same problem. Apparently the problem was caused by a system error at Uverse regarding the program I wanted to record. When I went to do it directly from the DVR, I was told that the program had to be entered manually because of a scheduling or programming change by the provider (Starz.)

Clueless error messages, like "Error -15603b" on your computer, are useless and show lazy programming on the developer's part. Tell me what the error is so I can either understand it, work around it or fix it.

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for the web interface to verify the DVR connection prior to the scheduling attempt. That way, if the DVR can't be reached, the user wouldn't waste his or her time attempting to search for a program and schedule it.

I'm not a developer, but I've come to appreciate user interfaces that are intelligently designed and communicate with the user, not frustrate them. I happen to be pretty comfortable with technology so once I was able to get to my DVR I was able to understand that there was a programming error at Uverse with the program I wanted to record. If I could unravel that problem from the DVR, why not display the same error message on the web interface?

3 of 4 (7,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 7:39:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bocaboy2591 wrote:

Well, unfortunately, it is what it is.  If the DVR box hasn't been refreshed in a while, sometimes an oddity occurs.  For most of us, the Web Remote App works beautifully. 

It might be more complex - there also could be some issues with your U-Verse DVR account (not your billing account).  I had an issue with recordings (web initiated and DVR initiated) not recording, not playing, stopping recording early and so on.   They found a mismatch between the number of series recordings that was showing on my DVR and the number on the AT&T servers.  They had to rebuild my account.  I lost all series set-ups and all recordings BUT I never had that issue again.  You might send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, explain the issue and someone will get in touch with you.

bocaboy2591 wrote:

Well, unfortunately, it is what it is.  If the DVR box hasn't been refreshed in a while, sometimes an oddity occurs.  For most of us, the Web Remote App works beautifully. 

It might be more complex - there also could be some issues with your U-Verse DVR account (not your billing account).  I had an issue with recordings (web initiated and DVR initiated) not recording, not playing, stopping recording early and so on.   They found a mismatch between the number of series recordings that was showing on my DVR and the number on the AT&T servers.  They had to rebuild my account.  I lost all series set-ups and all recordings BUT I never had that issue again.  You might send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, explain the issue and someone will get in touch with you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (7,302 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments