Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 26, 2012
10:09:14 AM
View profile
Google Outlines IPTV, 1-Gig Internet Service In Kansas City

From the article found in the link below:

After more than two years in the works, Google announced details of its 1 Gigabit per second Internet service -- as well as a companion IPTV service with 161 channels, multiscreen access and network DVR -- to be available in Kansas City, Kan., and central Kansas City, Mo.

Google will charge $70 per month for standalone Internet service, and $120 per month for TV plus 1-Gig service with a two-year contract. Users also have the option to get 5 Mbps downstream Internet access for no monthly charge for at least seven years, if they pay a one-time $300 "construction fee" or pay $25 per month for 12 months.

"It's Internet 100 times faster than most Americans have today," Google vice president of access Milo Medin said at the company's launch event Thursday in Kansas City. "I don't know about you, but I've never heard someone say they think their Internet connection is too fast."

The Internet service, which provides 1 Gbps both downstream and upstream, includes "no caps, no overage charges," said Medin, who in the last decade led the cable industry's @Home broadband project. The service includes 1 Terabyte of Google storage for photos and other media.

The Google Fiber TV service includes a network-based DVR service with storage for up to 500 hours of HD programming, plus "tens of thousands" of VOD titles. The TV service also will be available on Android and iOS devices, and will include a voice-enabled search function.

"It's not just Internet TV -- but real TV that you used to be able to get only from your cable or satellite provider," Medin said. "You don't have to settle for old-style television any more."

The full list of TV channels is available here. Google is throwing in a free Android tablet, its recently announced Nexus 7, for TV subscribers, which functions as a remote control for the TV service.

The Google Fiber TV service also will include content supplied from local organizations and groups in Kansas City, according to the company.

Google's self-described fiber-to-the-home "experiment" is designed to push policymakers to putting policies in place to encourage faster broadband speeds.

The average Internet speeds in the U.S. are 5.8 Megabits per second down and 1.2 Mbps up, Medin said: "This is incredibly slow compared to the rest of the developed world."

Google's 1-Gig Internet service includes a home router with four Gigabit Ethernet ports. The TV set-tops include built-in access to Netflix and YouTube.

In February 2010, the company kicked off the "Think Big With a Gig" contest, offering to build a 1 Gbps fiber-to-the-home network somewhere in the U.S.. The offer elicited more than 1,100 applications from cities and communities across the country. Google's stated goal: to create a test bed for showcasing next-generation Internet applications and push for government policies to facilitate super-fast broadband rollouts.

Availability of the service in Kansas City, Kan., and central Kansas City, Mo., will vary. Google said consumers must preregister by Sept. 9 to be eligible for service; the company will build out FTTH intially in neighborhoods where "there is the most interest."

Last year Google said it would start the signup process for customers in Kansas City, Kan., in the fourth quarter of 2011. The company said it delayed the process until the fiber buildout was farther along. In April the company said it had strung more than 100 miles of fiber in Kansas City, having contracted with Braselton, Ga.-based Atlantic Engineering Group (AEG) for the initial fiber deployment.

In Kansas City, Kan., Google has pledged to provide free 1-Gbps access to more than 200 government buildings there, including schools and libraries.

Google announced the hiring of Medin in December 2010. He was one of the founders of the cable industry's @Home venture, formed in 1996 with John Malone's Tele-Communications Inc., Comcast, Cox Communications and William Randolph Hearst III. The company, which acquired Web portal Excite, filed for bankruptcy in September 2001. Its high-speed-fiber network was subsequently sold to AT&T.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/487792-Google_Outlines_IPTV_1_Gig_Internet_Service_In_Kansas_Cit...

From the article found in the link below:

After more than two years in the works, Google announced details of its 1 Gigabit per second Internet service -- as well as a companion IPTV service with 161 channels, multiscreen access and network DVR -- to be available in Kansas City, Kan., and central Kansas City, Mo.

Google will charge $70 per month for standalone Internet service, and $120 per month for TV plus 1-Gig service with a two-year contract. Users also have the option to get 5 Mbps downstream Internet access for no monthly charge for at least seven years, if they pay a one-time $300 "construction fee" or pay $25 per month for 12 months.

"It's Internet 100 times faster than most Americans have today," Google vice president of access Milo Medin said at the company's launch event Thursday in Kansas City. "I don't know about you, but I've never heard someone say they think their Internet connection is too fast."

The Internet service, which provides 1 Gbps both downstream and upstream, includes "no caps, no overage charges," said Medin, who in the last decade led the cable industry's @Home broadband project. The service includes 1 Terabyte of Google storage for photos and other media.

The Google Fiber TV service includes a network-based DVR service with storage for up to 500 hours of HD programming, plus "tens of thousands" of VOD titles. The TV service also will be available on Android and iOS devices, and will include a voice-enabled search function.

"It's not just Internet TV -- but real TV that you used to be able to get only from your cable or satellite provider," Medin said. "You don't have to settle for old-style television any more."

The full list of TV channels is available here. Google is throwing in a free Android tablet, its recently announced Nexus 7, for TV subscribers, which functions as a remote control for the TV service.

The Google Fiber TV service also will include content supplied from local organizations and groups in Kansas City, according to the company.

Google's self-described fiber-to-the-home "experiment" is designed to push policymakers to putting policies in place to encourage faster broadband speeds.

The average Internet speeds in the U.S. are 5.8 Megabits per second down and 1.2 Mbps up, Medin said: "This is incredibly slow compared to the rest of the developed world."

Google's 1-Gig Internet service includes a home router with four Gigabit Ethernet ports. The TV set-tops include built-in access to Netflix and YouTube.

In February 2010, the company kicked off the "Think Big With a Gig" contest, offering to build a 1 Gbps fiber-to-the-home network somewhere in the U.S.. The offer elicited more than 1,100 applications from cities and communities across the country. Google's stated goal: to create a test bed for showcasing next-generation Internet applications and push for government policies to facilitate super-fast broadband rollouts.

Availability of the service in Kansas City, Kan., and central Kansas City, Mo., will vary. Google said consumers must preregister by Sept. 9 to be eligible for service; the company will build out FTTH intially in neighborhoods where "there is the most interest."

Last year Google said it would start the signup process for customers in Kansas City, Kan., in the fourth quarter of 2011. The company said it delayed the process until the fiber buildout was farther along. In April the company said it had strung more than 100 miles of fiber in Kansas City, having contracted with Braselton, Ga.-based Atlantic Engineering Group (AEG) for the initial fiber deployment.

In Kansas City, Kan., Google has pledged to provide free 1-Gbps access to more than 200 government buildings there, including schools and libraries.

Google announced the hiring of Medin in December 2010. He was one of the founders of the cable industry's @Home venture, formed in 1996 with John Malone's Tele-Communications Inc., Comcast, Cox Communications and William Randolph Hearst III. The company, which acquired Web portal Excite, filed for bankruptcy in September 2001. Its high-speed-fiber network was subsequently sold to AT&T.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/487792-Google_Outlines_IPTV_1_Gig_Internet_Service_In_Kansas_City.php

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Google Outlines IPTV, 1-Gig Internet Service In Kansas City

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 4:03:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'd be curious what the channels for their fiber tv network is. I know the major networks, but what would I be missing if I lived in KC and could switch? 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

I'd be curious what the channels for their fiber tv network is. I know the major networks, but what would I be missing if I lived in KC and could switch? 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Outlines IPTV, 1-Gig Internet Service In Kansas City

2 of 28 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 4:05:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The full list of TV channels is available here.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

The full list of TV channels is available here.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

3 of 28 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 4:07:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks BeeBee,  No FoxSports channels so wouldn't work for me.

4 of 28 (1,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 5:55:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

oufanindallas wrote:

I think I would keep the Uverse TV service, drop the Uverse Internet and go with the Google Internet.

oufanindallas wrote:

I think I would keep the Uverse TV service, drop the Uverse Internet and go with the Google Internet.

5 of 28 (1,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 6:02:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

No AMC?  No Fox News?  Lots of programming gaps but ya got to give it to Google for trying, at least!

oufanindallas wrote:

No AMC?  No Fox News?  Lots of programming gaps but ya got to give it to Google for trying, at least!

6 of 28 (1,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 8:18:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Looks like some of the missing channels are still in negotiations with Google Fiber TV.  The interesting thing is that Google has already set prices without knowing what additional carriage fees may be incurred.  Some of these channels, such as ESPN, have very high carriage fees.  

http://www.multichannel.com/article/487829-Disney_ESPN_Fox_Turner_And_HBO_In_Talks_On_Google_Fiber_T...

Looks like some of the missing channels are still in negotiations with Google Fiber TV.  The interesting thing is that Google has already set prices without knowing what additional carriage fees may be incurred.  Some of these channels, such as ESPN, have very high carriage fees.  

http://www.multichannel.com/article/487829-Disney_ESPN_Fox_Turner_And_HBO_In_Talks_On_Google_Fiber_TV.php

7 of 28 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 5:18:32 AM
(0)
Expert

I noticed HBO missing.

BUT THEY HAVE HALLMARK!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

IIRC, Phil had posted this a while back, but I thought they killed the project there; guess it's back on.

Interesting:

TV Box • Storage Box • Network Box • 1TB Google Drive

What is a Storage Box?  Sounds like an externall HDD, so the 1TB Google Drive must be in the Cloud?

NO CAPS!!!  That's a plus!

I noticed HBO missing.

BUT THEY HAVE HALLMARK!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

IIRC, Phil had posted this a while back, but I thought they killed the project there; guess it's back on.

Interesting:

TV Box • Storage Box • Network Box • 1TB Google Drive

What is a Storage Box?  Sounds like an externall HDD, so the 1TB Google Drive must be in the Cloud?

NO CAPS!!!  That's a plus!

8 of 28 (1,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2012 5:34:56 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:38:17 AM

texasguy37 wrote:

. Its high-speed-fiber network was subsequently sold to AT&T.

That's sad. Akin to loaning your Porsche to your wortless brother-in-law, who can't drive a stick, so he can drive it into the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

texasguy37 wrote:

. Its high-speed-fiber network was subsequently sold to AT&T.

That's sad. Akin to loaning your Porsche to your wortless brother-in-law, who can't drive a stick, so he can drive it into the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
9 of 28 (1,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 12:56:05 AM
(0)
Employee

I'd still like to know what kind of bandwidth they have to the peering facility.

It could be like trying to feed a hundred firehoses with a garden hose.

I'd still like to know what kind of bandwidth they have to the peering facility.

It could be like trying to feed a hundred firehoses with a garden hose.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 28 (1,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 7:23:15 AM
(0)
Employee

ScottMac at this point would that matter.  If there apps like YouTube or Netflix needed a 1Gig connection to work they would have a problem. Now they just need a little bit bigger hose then data being sent in and out of the system.  It would be a waste of resources to be able to handle a 100% 1 Gig load from every account at the same time.   It will be interesting to see what the volume is every month after they get their customers connected. 

ScottMac at this point would that matter.  If there apps like YouTube or Netflix needed a 1Gig connection to work they would have a problem. Now they just need a little bit bigger hose then data being sent in and out of the system.  It would be a waste of resources to be able to handle a 100% 1 Gig load from every account at the same time.   It will be interesting to see what the volume is every month after they get their customers connected. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 28 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 9:39:11 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ScottMac on Aug 12, 2012 at 9:57:55 AM

Escapee wrote:

I imagine they are using the usual booking factors (oversubscription rate) But, how many folks in KC (or, at least, folks that want very high capacity, up to 1G) are they looking to serve?

Services like NetFlix and YouTube can have some local resources, so they'll rock right along. However, if there are, say, 500,000 very high capacity users hitting the Internet, the trunks to the Peering facility have to be able to handle that, or latency skyrockets. All that traffic is being added to existing traffic loads beyond the peering facility.

If there are 500K 1G users, that's 500Tb. For discussion, apply a booking factor of 50:1 (oversubscribed 5000%, which would be really highand likely to be much lower) that leaves a need to handle 10Tb (ten million billion bits per second). That would be 250 40G ports on each end. Some of the trunk fiber count can be reduced with DWDM*, but that's still a couple dozen DWDM chassis at each end, plus some intermediate chassis acting as amplifiers, and the actual router ports that feed the traffic to/from the Google system.

That's for a single path. Double (at the least) that number for redundant / protection circuits. That's figuring with 40Gig Ethernet (most will likely be 10G lines though, so quadruple the above numbers), a 40G (OC-256) circuit has more overhead, carries less data, needs more circuits ... and most of those will actually be OC192 (10G) ... so more than quadruple the numbers above.

That's for 500,000 1G users. They are also offering free 5/1 internet, so I imagine there'll be a bunch of those. Without an additional booking factor, that'd be 20 users to the gig, 200 to the 10G trunk (actually less, there's some protocol overhead.. but for dicscussion sake...). A million 5/1 users  equals 5 million megabits down, 1 million megabits up (5 Tb / 1Tb) so that's another 125 ports (actually double that for redundancy) at each end (and those are "free" users, so no direct revenue from them, though some money will be made for possible advertising exposure).

Certainly Google is smart enough to locate as many resources as possible to the local metro network, but for Internet access, there will be limitations. I understand that not everyone is going to be using 100% of their bandwidth at the same time (hence, the booking factor), but the numbers for that much bandwidth to that many people, even with common oversubscription, are astromomical.

Each of the chassis (routers, DWDM) are well over a million dollars each, switch chassis are maybe half that, plus the operating systems, plus personnel, plus real estate, plus power ... and all the rest of it ... mind boggling. Then consider that all of that has to be integrated into the existing system, which is already struggling to keep up through some infrastructure providers. If one upstream router or switch is a little light, there's a big bottleneck for everyone passing through it.

It will be an interesting experiment indeed.

* DWDM is basically the same system as the legacy cable TV (a flavor of Frequency Division Multiplexing): many "channels" are servrd down a single (or pair of) conductor(s) by putting them on different frequencies. In the case of DWDM, frequencies are wavelengths of light - lambda. The common passive optical chassis usually handle ~8 lambda max each, Optical-Electrical-Optical (O-E-O) chassis can handle many more, depending on the system. 

So if you have a pair of fiber (for example), instead of carrying a single signal of 10Gb, you can apply ~16 10Gb signals. The individual signals can't see or interact with any of the other signals. At each end, you need all of the equipment to handle the 16 individual 10Gb signals (16 ports at each end ... router, switch, DACS, whatever). 

Escapee wrote:

I imagine they are using the usual booking factors (oversubscription rate) But, how many folks in KC (or, at least, folks that want very high capacity, up to 1G) are they looking to serve?

Services like NetFlix and YouTube can have some local resources, so they'll rock right along. However, if there are, say, 500,000 very high capacity users hitting the Internet, the trunks to the Peering facility have to be able to handle that, or latency skyrockets. All that traffic is being added to existing traffic loads beyond the peering facility.

If there are 500K 1G users, that's 500Tb. For discussion, apply a booking factor of 50:1 (oversubscribed 5000%, which would be really highand likely to be much lower) that leaves a need to handle 10Tb (ten million billion bits per second). That would be 250 40G ports on each end. Some of the trunk fiber count can be reduced with DWDM*, but that's still a couple dozen DWDM chassis at each end, plus some intermediate chassis acting as amplifiers, and the actual router ports that feed the traffic to/from the Google system.

That's for a single path. Double (at the least) that number for redundant / protection circuits. That's figuring with 40Gig Ethernet (most will likely be 10G lines though, so quadruple the above numbers), a 40G (OC-256) circuit has more overhead, carries less data, needs more circuits ... and most of those will actually be OC192 (10G) ... so more than quadruple the numbers above.

That's for 500,000 1G users. They are also offering free 5/1 internet, so I imagine there'll be a bunch of those. Without an additional booking factor, that'd be 20 users to the gig, 200 to the 10G trunk (actually less, there's some protocol overhead.. but for dicscussion sake...). A million 5/1 users  equals 5 million megabits down, 1 million megabits up (5 Tb / 1Tb) so that's another 125 ports (actually double that for redundancy) at each end (and those are "free" users, so no direct revenue from them, though some money will be made for possible advertising exposure).

Certainly Google is smart enough to locate as many resources as possible to the local metro network, but for Internet access, there will be limitations. I understand that not everyone is going to be using 100% of their bandwidth at the same time (hence, the booking factor), but the numbers for that much bandwidth to that many people, even with common oversubscription, are astromomical.

Each of the chassis (routers, DWDM) are well over a million dollars each, switch chassis are maybe half that, plus the operating systems, plus personnel, plus real estate, plus power ... and all the rest of it ... mind boggling. Then consider that all of that has to be integrated into the existing system, which is already struggling to keep up through some infrastructure providers. If one upstream router or switch is a little light, there's a big bottleneck for everyone passing through it.

It will be an interesting experiment indeed.

* DWDM is basically the same system as the legacy cable TV (a flavor of Frequency Division Multiplexing): many "channels" are servrd down a single (or pair of) conductor(s) by putting them on different frequencies. In the case of DWDM, frequencies are wavelengths of light - lambda. The common passive optical chassis usually handle ~8 lambda max each, Optical-Electrical-Optical (O-E-O) chassis can handle many more, depending on the system. 

So if you have a pair of fiber (for example), instead of carrying a single signal of 10Gb, you can apply ~16 10Gb signals. The individual signals can't see or interact with any of the other signals. At each end, you need all of the equipment to handle the 16 individual 10Gb signals (16 ports at each end ... router, switch, DACS, whatever). 

Sent from my phone.

[ Edited ]
12 of 28 (1,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 10:08:14 AM
(0)
Expert
I'm sure one of the big practical solutions to that problem is to work with the primary CDN vendors (Akamai, Limelight, etc.) to locate CDN nodes in their own facility. Also, since Google is YouTube, you locate a YouTube CDN node there as well.

With enough of the CDN vendors represented in the KC facility, your total traffic to the Internet beyond the peering point drops significantly.
I'm sure one of the big practical solutions to that problem is to work with the primary CDN vendors (Akamai, Limelight, etc.) to locate CDN nodes in their own facility. Also, since Google is YouTube, you locate a YouTube CDN node there as well.

With enough of the CDN vendors represented in the KC facility, your total traffic to the Internet beyond the peering point drops significantly.

13 of 28 (1,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 11:02:13 AM
(0)
Employee

Google builds many of its own server farms. The closest to KC is Council Bluffs, Iowa or Mayes County, OK. I  would not be surprised if they placed one in KC if the Google Fiber ramps up the load dramatically.  Google has one of the largest networks in the world so they could easily pass off the data close to the other end from KC.

Google builds many of its own server farms. The closest to KC is Council Bluffs, Iowa or Mayes County, OK. I  would not be surprised if they placed one in KC if the Google Fiber ramps up the load dramatically.  Google has one of the largest networks in the world so they could easily pass off the data close to the other end from KC.

14 of 28 (1,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 11:10:57 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 12, 2012 at 11:15:54 AM

Unless I've got my multipliers wrong 10 Tb is not 10 million billion bits, but 10 thousand billion bits. Big difference.

A million billion bits would be 1 petabit if if I'm not mistaken.

Unless I've got my multipliers wrong 10 Tb is not 10 million billion bits, but 10 thousand billion bits. Big difference.

A million billion bits would be 1 petabit if if I'm not mistaken.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
15 of 28 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 11:32:11 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ScottMac on Aug 12, 2012 at 11:41:32 AM

Yep, you're right. Just another example of why "math before coffee" is always a bad idea. Smiley Happy.

I believe the numbers are still right, even though the description is not.

The numbers are still very large.

Yep, you're right. Just another example of why "math before coffee" is always a bad idea. Smiley Happy.

Sent from my phone.

[ Edited ]
16 of 28 (1,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 11:37:57 AM
(0)
Employee

Escapee wrote:

That's good for Google resources, and expected. The (potential) issue I was trying to point out is access to the Internet. I say potential because I have not really looked at the plan or read much about it (beyond a few forum discussions).

I would be surprised if they don't have it all handled. I still find size and scope amazing.

Escapee wrote:

That's good for Google resources, and expected. The (potential) issue I was trying to point out is access to the Internet. I say potential because I have not really looked at the plan or read much about it (beyond a few forum discussions).

I would be surprised if they don't have it all handled. I still find size and scope amazing.

Sent from my phone.

17 of 28 (1,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 11:57:43 AM
(0)
Master

ScottMac wrote:

No matter how you say it, it's still a boatload of zeros. Smiley Very Happy

ScottMac wrote:

No matter how you say it, it's still a boatload of zeros. Smiley Very Happy

neon_sign.jpg

18 of 28 (1,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 1:22:18 PM
(0)
Employee

Don't feel bad I when you came up in the pre 56K world I still think Mbps or MBps is fast. Today that is about what a 56K speed is today.  It is more bits per second then the BYTE of fingers I have.

Don't feel bad I when you came up in the pre 56K world I still think Mbps or MBps is fast. Today that is about what a 56K speed is today.  It is more bits per second then the BYTE of fingers I have.

19 of 28 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 2:28:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Aug 12, 2012 at 2:29:48 PM

Which comes first....the chicken or the egg?    With all this extremely high speed delivery capability what good does it do when no data sources (or at least hardly any) can deliver at anywhere near that speed.  I've got about 18 mbps download speed now (tested) but as a practical matter my average download speeds of data run around 650 to 750 kbps.  I'm still of the opinion that this is primarily a magnificent marketing gig.  The only game I play is solitaire.  Will the additional speed help me win more often?Smiley LOL

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Which comes first....the chicken or the egg?    With all this extremely high speed delivery capability what good does it do when no data sources (or at least hardly any) can deliver at anywhere near that speed.  I've got about 18 mbps download speed now (tested) but as a practical matter my average download speeds of data run around 650 to 750 kbps.  I'm still of the opinion that this is primarily a magnificent marketing gig.  The only game I play is solitaire.  Will the additional speed help me win more often?Smiley LOL

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

[ Edited ]
20 of 28 (1,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 3:42:07 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 12, 2012 at 4:00:12 PM

hpmsrm wrote:

You mean a magnificent marketing gig-abit?Smiley LOL

That's the main problem with AT&T "buy our superfast 24Mbps package, oh, you actually want to utilize it, that will cost more"

And before anyone chimes in, yes I know Uverse caps are not currently enforced, but it's the principal, and I also know that tired old excuse of the terrible 2% is just a hosebag reason to soak the customer. Here's to hoping Google can be effective in setting an example for the money-grubbers of the ISP industry. What surprises me is that the likes of AT&T and Comcast aren't busy as heck trying to buy new legislation to block or cripple Googles attempt to bring broadband into the 21st century.

hpmsrm wrote:

That's the main problem with AT&T "buy our superfast 24Mbps package, oh, you actually want to utilize it, that will cost more"

And before anyone chimes in, yes I know Uverse caps are not currently enforced, but it's the principal, and I also know that tired old excuse of the terrible 2% is just a hosebag reason to soak the customer. Here's to hoping Google can be effective in setting an example for the money-grubbers of the ISP industry. What surprises me is that the likes of AT&T and Comcast aren't busy as heck trying to buy new legislation to block or cripple Googles attempt to bring broadband into the 21st century.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
21 of 28 (1,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 4:09:24 PM
(0)
Employee

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

That would be anti-competitive, and against the regulations. Smiley Wink

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

That would be anti-competitive, and against the regulations. Smiley Wink

Sent from my phone.

22 of 28 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 12:26:11 PM
(0)
Expert

It looks like they're waiting for KC to be successful before expanding.  IF you want it in your area, it's a contest (or was) by getting friends and neighbors in your Zip to say they want it. 

Guessing it would be the same deal where they could not overlap with an existing IPTV/fiber carrier?  Except the 2 cases of Verizon and ATT overlap in area near Dallas, and one in California.

It looks like they're waiting for KC to be successful before expanding.  IF you want it in your area, it's a contest (or was) by getting friends and neighbors in your Zip to say they want it. 

Guessing it would be the same deal where they could not overlap with an existing IPTV/fiber carrier?  Except the 2 cases of Verizon and ATT overlap in area near Dallas, and one in California.

23 of 28 (1,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 12:45:19 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Escapee on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:01:12 PM

I thought the contest was just for the areas just outside the phase 1 area in KC. Even Phil says he is too far from KC to get Google fiber when they expand. They are also having a minimum sign up goal for each neighborhood or Fiberhood inside the phase 1 area. If Google does not get a minimum number of customers to signup for a neighborhood no one will get the service. You have to look at the neighborhood map tosee how it works.

I went to the site and it looks like KC, Mo has all but a hand full of Fiberhoods signed up. The KC, K  side does not look so good for many Fiberhoods.  I was surprised the Business District still needs 212 signups or 13 of the 25% needed to meet their goal.

I thought the contest was just for the areas just outside the phase 1 area in KC. Even Phil says he is too far from KC to get Google fiber when they expand. They are also having a minimum sign up goal for each neighborhood or Fiberhood inside the phase 1 area. If Google does not get a minimum number of customers to signup for a neighborhood no one will get the service. You have to look at the neighborhood map tosee how it works.

I went to the site and it looks like KC, Mo has all but a hand full of Fiberhoods signed up. The KC, K  side does not look so good for many Fiberhoods.  I was surprised the Business District still needs 212 signups or 13 of the 25% needed to meet their goal.

[ Edited ]
24 of 28 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 1:12:15 PM
(0)
Expert

Whatever, the way they're going about it seems odd to me.

Whatever, the way they're going about it seems odd to me.

25 of 28 (1,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 8:42:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Google Fiber TV has reach an agreement to carry ESPN and Disney Channels:

The networks to be available through Google Fiber TV are: ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, the Longhorn Network and SOAPnet.

http://www.multichannel.com/news-article/google-adds-espn-and-disney-nets-fiber-tv-diet/133470

The Longhorn Network!  I wonder if there will be boycotts because of this.  Smiley Happy

I still find it interesting that the price of the service was set prior to reaching an agreement to carry these channels considering the high carriage feeds that these channels demand.

The networks to be available through Google Fiber TV are: ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, the Longhorn Network and SOAPnet.

http://www.multichannel.com/news-article/google-adds-espn-and-disney-nets-fiber-tv-diet/133470

The Longhorn Network!  I wonder if there will be boycotts because of this.  Smiley Happy

I still find it interesting that the price of the service was set prior to reaching an agreement to carry these channels considering the high carriage feeds that these channels demand.

26 of 28 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 8:47:44 AM
(0)
Expert

*Insider* Trading?  Google's sleeping with Disney/ESPN?  Smiley Very Happy

texasguy37 wrote:

*Insider* Trading?  Google's sleeping with Disney/ESPN?  Smiley Very Happy

texasguy37 wrote:

27 of 28 (1,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 10:58:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It may have been a case of they had a budget that they would spend on content based on the selling price.    If they overspent on ABC/Disney/ESPN they'll just cut other channels somewhere else.  Like the PAC-12 channel, perhaps.  

It may have been a case of they had a budget that they would spend on content based on the selling price.    If they overspent on ABC/Disney/ESPN they'll just cut other channels somewhere else.  Like the PAC-12 channel, perhaps.  

28 of 28 (1,226 Views)