Ask a question

Posted Sep 27, 2013
    6:17:10 AM
    View profile
    G4: Will it soon get dropped by AT&T U-verse?

According to Wikipedia.org @  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_(TV_channel) :

"Upon the re-branding of Style Network to Esquire Network on September 23, 2013, G4 was dropped from all Time Warner Cable systems, citing the network's low viewership as "(not a) good value for our customers." Verizon Fios also plans on discontinuing the channel [G4] on or after October 1, 2013. According to a public statement filed by Cablevision to the Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control (that state's utility service regulator) on September 10, that cable provider filed notice that NBCUniversal has plans to discontinue G4's operations as of October 10, 2013. No statements have been given by NBCUniversal as to if and when the network will end directly. However, G4 is no longer listed on NBCU's corporate website."

I find this development interesting. For one, DirecTV dropped G4 back in 2010. Time Warner Cable is still high for its numbers of serviced customers. Verizon is high as well. And AT&T U-verse is high. (I admit to not recalling their ranked positions for numbers of subscribers. Comcast is the No. 1 cable television provider, yes, but I think I recall that DirecTV is No. 2.) If this is the way it's going, I repeat the thread title's question …

"G4: Will it soon get dropped by AT&T U-verse?"

G4: Will it soon get dropped by AT&T U-verse?

6 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (6)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 7:02:53 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Well, if NBC will soon drop G4 from all systems, then we can count down the days until the OPW come here and threaten to switch to ComDirecFinityDish since THEY have G4.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: G4: Will it soon get dropped by AT&T U-verse?

2 of 7 (746 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 8:38:18 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

baseballisback,

I am thinking more cable television providers may drop G4 before it officially goes away.

3 of 7 (721 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 10:04:34 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

What will they do with that bandwidth? NBC have other ideas for it?

I find it strange they replaced Style with Esquire instead of G4, I figured G4 was well on it's way out by now with all the marathons of non-original programming. 

4 of 7 (701 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 1:00:37 PM
    (0)
    Employee

I may be incorrect, but my understanding is that the Style Channel was converted to Esquire by the channel's owner.  Various cable systems didn't drop Style for Esquire; instead Style became Esquire. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (675 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 1:58:22 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

ptkdude wrote:

I may be incorrect, but my understanding is that the Style Channel was converted to Esquire by the channel's owner.  Various cable systems didn't drop Style for Esquire; instead Style became Esquire. 

You are entirely correct.   http://www.myimon.com/customer-portal/news/style-network-becomes-esquire-network/

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (661 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 4:36:14 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

It was only good when it was Tech TV with useful info and fixes something needed more so now than then.

7 of 7 (569 Views)