Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 23, 2013
8:18:41 PM
View profile
Frustrated by Uverse refusal to add sub-channels

Kansas City stations are adding several subchannels each year.  The Competitors are picking up these channels but Uverse has chosen not to.  Sad to see Uverse fall behind.  Seems they are losing their competitive advantage they once had in the Kansas City Market.  Please Explain.

Kansas City stations are adding several subchannels each year.  The Competitors are picking up these channels but Uverse has chosen not to.  Sad to see Uverse fall behind.  Seems they are losing their competitive advantage they once had in the Kansas City Market.  Please Explain.

Frustrated by Uverse refusal to add sub-channels

44 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 8:29:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dwinth wrote:

Xii wrote:

I just signed up for att u-verse without realizing that they don't carry the sub-channels. The sales guys assured me that I'd get all the "local channels" but I didn't think to ask what was included. At least I don't have a contract, because I'll be canceling after the holidays. Without the sub-channels, it's not worth the money.

I have never understood how sub-channels can be a deal breaker for U-Verse. We still have two high definition televisions that are not connected to U-Verse, so we can get all of the sub-channels on those, rabbit ears permitting.

The only one we watch of the two is the 19 inch in the kitchen, and when we do watch it , we watch only the main channel, not the sub-channels. The only sub-channel I ever saw that was worth watching was our NBC affiliate's all weather sub-channel which is no longer in existence. It was replaced by a different format.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Unfortunately, if one comes from Comcast, Brighthouse, TWC and so on, that do carry them, it would be.  Plus you can DVR the programs.  Yes you can hook "1950's technology" (OTA antenna) to your set and hope that the all of them come in (I can't get 13.2, .3 nor can I get 8.2 or .3, reliably).  Our PBS station has many "mainstream PBS" programs on their .2 or .3.  Those can only be recorded with a Tivo or VCR.  Let's rethink possible, here.

I'll say it again - new subscribers "look at the channel list, yourself."

dwinth wrote:

Xii wrote:

I just signed up for att u-verse without realizing that they don't carry the sub-channels. The sales guys assured me that I'd get all the "local channels" but I didn't think to ask what was included. At least I don't have a contract, because I'll be canceling after the holidays. Without the sub-channels, it's not worth the money.

I have never understood how sub-channels can be a deal breaker for U-Verse. We still have two high definition televisions that are not connected to U-Verse, so we can get all of the sub-channels on those, rabbit ears permitting.

The only one we watch of the two is the 19 inch in the kitchen, and when we do watch it , we watch only the main channel, not the sub-channels. The only sub-channel I ever saw that was worth watching was our NBC affiliate's all weather sub-channel which is no longer in existence. It was replaced by a different format.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Unfortunately, if one comes from Comcast, Brighthouse, TWC and so on, that do carry them, it would be.  Plus you can DVR the programs.  Yes you can hook "1950's technology" (OTA antenna) to your set and hope that the all of them come in (I can't get 13.2, .3 nor can I get 8.2 or .3, reliably).  Our PBS station has many "mainstream PBS" programs on their .2 or .3.  Those can only be recorded with a Tivo or VCR.  Let's rethink possible, here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Frustrated by Uverse refusal to add sub-channels

31 of 45 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 8:55:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

And then hope they don't delete the channels you care about after you sign your contract.

And then hope they don't delete the channels you care about after you sign your contract.

32 of 45 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:55:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

Unless your provider is Comcast - it happens.  Every major provider (except Gawd Almighty Comcast) has lost channels.  Or added them. Smiley Wink There were some who threatened to leave U-Verse if they added Al-Jazeera.  Go figure!

marcindublin wrote:

Unless your provider is Comcast - it happens.  Every major provider (except Gawd Almighty Comcast) has lost channels.  Or added them. Smiley Wink There were some who threatened to leave U-Verse if they added Al-Jazeera.  Go figure!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 45 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 1:28:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:29:35 PM

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Don't they own about 1/2 the stations out there? Could be why they don't lose them. That and the fact they randomly raise their rates to cover the costs of adding/keeping those channels.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Don't they own about 1/2 the stations out there? Could be why they don't lose them. That and the fact they randomly raise their rates to cover the costs of adding/keeping those channels.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
34 of 45 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 7:10:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Probably not that many but if Comcast wanted to they could break a lot of programmers.  They are one that everyone bows down too.

Probably not that many but if Comcast wanted to they could break a lot of programmers.  They are one that everyone bows down too.

35 of 45 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:39:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by CostaMesaCAGuy on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:42:58 PM

AT&T U-verse in the Los Angeles market carry both MeTV (Channel 3) and qubo (Channel 328).  However qubo is not part of the U200 package.

AT&T U-verse in the Los Angeles market carry both MeTV (Channel 3) and qubo (Channel 328).  However qubo is not part of the U200 package.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

[ Edited ]
36 of 45 (774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 4:41:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
  1. Disappointed to see that the only ATT responses is add an Antenna to your TV - I pay $163 a month for their viewing and internet and equipment and they tell me to add an antenna.  I live in a subburb and I cannot pick up those channels
  2. The other response from an ATT Rep to someone on my blog was - If you are under contract it will cost to $180 to break the contract.

So sorry to hear these responses.  I am not use to ATT taking such a passive view of its customers.  Typically ATT has been very customer centric.  Google is Piloting its Google TV and Internet here in Kansas City and Comcast is still a competitor in this town.  Excited to have choices. 

1. Disappointed to see that the only ATT responses is add an Antenna to your TV - I pay $163 a month for their viewing and internet and equipment and they tell me to add an antenna.  I live in a subburb and I cannot pick up those channels
  2. The other response from an ATT Rep to someone on my blog was - If you are under contract it will cost to $180 to break the contract.

So sorry to hear these responses.  I am not use to ATT taking such a passive view of its customers.  Typically ATT has been very customer centric.  Google is Piloting its Google TV and Internet here in Kansas City and Comcast is still a competitor in this town.  Excited to have choices. 

37 of 45 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 5:23:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Slee661 wrote:

If you live in a suburb, I have little doubt that you'll have any problem picking up any OTA signals.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Slee661 wrote:

If you live in a suburb, I have little doubt that you'll have any problem picking up any OTA signals.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

38 of 45 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 6:53:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Really the point is not the antenna.  I dont want another cable hanging off of my TV and for what I am paying I shoudnt have too  The Point  is ATT is the only cable company out of Time Warner, Comcast and ATT that do not supply Subchannels to their customers.  This discussion really doesnt matter because it is not important to ATT.  

americangame wrote:

Slee661 wrote:

Really the point is not the antenna.  I dont want another cable hanging off of my TV and for what I am paying I shoudnt have too  The Point  is ATT is the only cable company out of Time Warner, Comcast and ATT that do not supply Subchannels to their customers.  This discussion really doesnt matter because it is not important to ATT.  

americangame wrote:

Slee661 wrote:

39 of 45 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 8:26:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

"This discussion really doesnt matter because it is not important to ATT. "

It must not be that import to the over 5 million subscribers and growing either.  The majority of sub-channels don't really show anything that the majority of typical cable subscribers watch.  There are a few exceptions in the case where a network like the CW is a sub-channel, but in reality, sub-channels are not watched by more than a handful of people.  Would it be nice if AT&T added them, yes, is it a deal breaker for 99% of the people, no.  Until such time that AT&T no longer grows by over 1 million subscribers a year then it's probably not that big of a concern.

"This discussion really doesnt matter because it is not important to ATT. "

It must not be that import to the over 5 million subscribers and growing either.  The majority of sub-channels don't really show anything that the majority of typical cable subscribers watch.  There are a few exceptions in the case where a network like the CW is a sub-channel, but in reality, sub-channels are not watched by more than a handful of people.  Would it be nice if AT&T added them, yes, is it a deal breaker for 99% of the people, no.  Until such time that AT&T no longer grows by over 1 million subscribers a year then it's probably not that big of a concern.

40 of 45 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 9:15:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Incorrect.  I live in a suburb and two of my stations' ATSC signals are broadcast on high-band VHF.  I can't get
8.1, .2 or .3, or 13.1, .2 or .3 reliably.  I am only 15 air miles from them.  Folks further out can get them, just fine.

It all depends on location, terain and where a station chooses to broadcast their ATSC signal.  Our channel 6 uses UHF (25) to broadcast and it works great. 

Again adding an antenna to high-end system to get a handful of channels is a stop-gap, work around.

americangame wrote:

Incorrect.  I live in a suburb and two of my stations' ATSC signals are broadcast on high-band VHF.  I can't get
8.1, .2 or .3, or 13.1, .2 or .3 reliably.  I am only 15 air miles from them.  Folks further out can get them, just fine.

It all depends on location, terain and where a station chooses to broadcast their ATSC signal.  Our channel 6 uses UHF (25) to broadcast and it works great. 

Again adding an antenna to high-end system to get a handful of channels is a stop-gap, work around.

41 of 45 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 5:30:13 PM
(0)
Expert
To pull in VHF-high stations (7-13), you need one of the larger conventional long-element TV antennas. Because most digital TV stations are broadcasting on UHF, many "HD" over-the-air antennas are designed only for UHF (loop or bowtie style), and they won't pick up VHF-high at all.

VHF-high antennas are also more sensitive to the direction they're pointed than UHF loop or bowtie antennas. Typically, they need to be pointed within 15 degrees of the transmitter otherwise the received signal strength falls off considerably.

To pull in VHF-high stations (7-13), you need one of the larger conventional long-element TV antennas. Because most digital TV stations are broadcasting on UHF, many "HD" over-the-air antennas are designed only for UHF (loop or bowtie style), and they won't pick up VHF-high at all.

VHF-high antennas are also more sensitive to the direction they're pointed than UHF loop or bowtie antennas. Typically, they need to be pointed within 15 degrees of the transmitter otherwise the received signal strength falls off considerably.

42 of 45 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 10:05:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just gave up looking for Uverse to add the sub-channels here in Columbus, Ohio. No response from anyone at Uverse about it. 

I just gave up looking for Uverse to add the sub-channels here in Columbus, Ohio. No response from anyone at Uverse about it. 

43 of 45 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 1:44:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ErnestK wrote:

What is U-Verse supposed to respond? Nothing has changed. U-Verse does not have sub-channels other than ME-TV in some markets.  Hopefully, one day, U-Verse will work out a system that will allow sub-channels.

ErnestK wrote:

What is U-Verse supposed to respond? Nothing has changed. U-Verse does not have sub-channels other than ME-TV in some markets.  Hopefully, one day, U-Verse will work out a system that will allow sub-channels.

44 of 45 (597 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 8:19:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'd like Uverse to carry the WCIU-Chicago subchannel that carries the Chicago Wolves games[ME-TOO I believe it is] but I know they probably will never do so.
I'd like Uverse to carry the WCIU-Chicago subchannel that carries the Chicago Wolves games[ME-TOO I believe it is] but I know they probably will never do so.

45 of 45 (574 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments