Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 23, 2013
3:31:27 PM
Frequent connection interruptions

I'm getting the following up to 20 times a day:

src=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx dst=172.25.101.126 ipprot=17 sport=58367 dport=53 Drop traffic to 172.16.0.0/12

This log entry coincides with interrupted service for 5-10 seconds.  Tech support is trying to claim that I'm being "hacked" somehow, which is ridiculous.  I see that some people have experienced similar issues (with the same errors in the log) but no resolutions.

This is in Houston, TX and the connection is FTTP to a 2wire 3801.  No issues until about two weeks ago; it's been every day since.

Has anyone seen this before?  If I can't get it resolved I need to cancel my service as soon as possible, so I rely on this connection for work every day.

I'm getting the following up to 20 times a day:

src=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx dst=172.25.101.126 ipprot=17 sport=58367 dport=53 Drop traffic to 172.16.0.0/12

This log entry coincides with interrupted service for 5-10 seconds.  Tech support is trying to claim that I'm being "hacked" somehow, which is ridiculous.  I see that some people have experienced similar issues (with the same errors in the log) but no resolutions.

This is in Houston, TX and the connection is FTTP to a 2wire 3801.  No issues until about two weeks ago; it's been every day since.

Has anyone seen this before?  If I can't get it resolved I need to cancel my service as soon as possible, so I rely on this connection for work every day.

Frequent connection interruptions

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 4:38:26 PM
(0)
Expert
What is the source IP address? And why is it xxx'd out? In the 2Wire firewall logs, this is the address that the packet is coming from.
What is the source IP address? And why is it xxx'd out? In the 2Wire firewall logs, this is the address that the packet is coming from.

Re: Frequent connection interruptions

2 of 5 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 1:37:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

The source is my external IP address which I didn't want to post.  After going around in circles for a bit we ended up replacing the modem and so far I've gone an entire work day without being disconnected.

The source is my external IP address which I didn't want to post.  After going around in circles for a bit we ended up replacing the modem and so far I've gone an entire work day without being disconnected.

3 of 5 (476 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 2:32:03 PM
(0)
Expert
Do you have a 3rd-party router installed as the DMZPlus device? If so, and the source IP address is your external IP address, then your router is misconfigured. Your router is attempting to resolve DNS queries using 172.25.101.126, which is an RFC-1918 private (non-routable) IP address, thus the RG refuses to route it and makes a firewall log entry.
Do you have a 3rd-party router installed as the DMZPlus device? If so, and the source IP address is your external IP address, then your router is misconfigured. Your router is attempting to resolve DNS queries using 172.25.101.126, which is an RFC-1918 private (non-routable) IP address, thus the RG refuses to route it and makes a firewall log entry.

4 of 5 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:34:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jdrushel on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:35:58 AM

It's been well over a month since the technician put in a new modem and this issue has just started happening again  It seems to be worsening each day, in fact.

The source IP is indeed my external IP, and I have my Netgear WNDR3700 router set as DMZ in the 2wire's settings.  The WNDR3700 device shows allowed applications = all, for instance, in the firewall status page.

If this is causing connection drops, why is it just starting after a month of working fine?  What would you recommend I change to fix it?

Edit: I should note that I changed no settings on my router between the old modem and the new one.

It's been well over a month since the technician put in a new modem and this issue has just started happening again  It seems to be worsening each day, in fact.

The source IP is indeed my external IP, and I have my Netgear WNDR3700 router set as DMZ in the 2wire's settings.  The WNDR3700 device shows allowed applications = all, for instance, in the firewall status page.

If this is causing connection drops, why is it just starting after a month of working fine?  What would you recommend I change to fix it?

Edit: I should note that I changed no settings on my router between the old modem and the new one.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (262 Views)