Ask a question

Posted Sep 5, 2013
    11:26:38 AM
    First bill: billing cycle is zero days, charged for full month?

AT&T activated the line 8/23/13 and I received my first bill recently which says the billing period is August 23, 2013 - August 23, 2013 (yes, zero days) and the charge is for the full month (~$25). Why is that?

[I couldn't find answers anywhere, the only thing I found was mentions of prorated charges for your first month + charge for the next month, but there doesn't even seem to be a consensus on that]

See here. (Note: the correct amount is on the right, the old amount is on the left; see my last thread for why.) 

First bill: billing cycle is zero days, charged for full month?

9 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (9)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 5, 2013 1:47:02 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Guru
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: First bill: billing cycle is zero days, charged for full month?

2 of 10 (1,007 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 5, 2013 1:49:19 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by aviewer on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:54:56 PM

pantheroom - It is unusual that you got a zero day bill. It was never previously reported. There may corrections in the works. That is where there is confusion that is not easily removed.

The good news is that you have a bill.

At the top is the button for the PDF of the paper bill. That should have the details that add up to $84. Which appears to be the pre=payment for the next billing period.
    Also, there should be breakouts on the summary bill. But, they are not as good as the paper bill PDF.

The bad news is the "Current Balance". It is arrived at based on changes since the bill was prepared. at&t should not present a number without backup. You should be able to click on that number & get a column starting with $84 and ending with $25. You could then confidently pay the $25 and have everything come out even when the next bill is prepared.

I suppose you could still pay $25 & see what happens. You could call in & request the accounting behind the total. But, if it is available, why is it not on the site?

OK,  David has super power access to your bill - essentially wiping it out & just building the future billing period. So, the zero billing period is not a real prorated first bill. It is a billing correction bill.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 10 (1,005 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 5, 2013 4:56:56 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I'm sorry, neither of those responses was helpful. To the first response, I already searched through there and none of it explain why:

(1) I am being charged exactly 1 month of billing when I began my service August 23. Either I should be charged a prorated amount for August (much less than $25), OR I should be charged a prorated amount for August + all of September (more than $25). Not exactly one month, though ($25).

(2) Why my billing period is zero days long. That is on my internet bill and the pdf. It's mysterious.

To the second response, the details of why my bill are two different amounts are because of wrongful billing by AT&T, please see my other thread which is a couple threads down from this one (same author: pantheroom). It has been reduced to a simple monthly charge as that is the only thing I'm paying for, but the billing period still doesn't make sense. As you saw above the billing period is zero days. Here are the "details". ?? 

4 of 10 (980 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 5, 2013 5:26:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    pantheroom - I can only guess based on what what you say and show. What service do you have & what are you expecting your monthly charge to be?

I believe, your bill is weird because it is an adjusted bill. It appears your only charge is for one full month from 8/23 to 9/23.

Unknown to me is that 84.44 or 25.78. Based on your last post it looks like it is 24.95 plus tax.

what we cannot yet see is the detail of how you get from 84.44 to 25,78. Because it takes place after the bill was issued.

If you have just internet & expect the full month bill to be 24.95, then 25.78 will be what you pay each month.

If you have TV & the monthly bill is around 84.44 then there is more going on that I cannot see.

5 of 10 (956 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 5, 2013 9:24:42 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Haha ok look. I though me referring to my last thread would be sufficient but I guess not. Ignore the $84.44 part!!! As my last thread explains, the deducted amount was taken off becuase they wrongly billed me for equipment and activation. $25.78 is the correct amount for exactly one month of service and it is generated only by Uverse internet at the monthly rate of $24.95 plus tax. 

I posted a second snapshothere it is again, which reveals that the $24.95 is purely for "Uverse Internet Plan." 

My question is why is the billing period listed as August 23, 2013 - August 23, 2013??? Once again this shows the billing period (IGNORE THE $84.44 part, it is OUTDATED information), with the corresponding bill on the RIGHT at $25.78. Why am I paying for a ZERO DAY TIME FRAME??? 

6 of 10 (926 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 6, 2013 2:43:27 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

pantheroom wrote:

Haha ok look. I though me referring to my last thread would be sufficient but I guess not. Ignore the $84.44 part!!! As my last thread explains, the deducted amount was taken off becuase they wrongly billed me for equipment and activation. $25.78 is the correct amount for exactly one month of service and it is generated only by Uverse internet at the monthly rate of $24.95 plus tax. 

I posted a second snapshothere it is again, which reveals that the $24.95 is purely for "Uverse Internet Plan." 

My question is why is the billing period listed as August 23, 2013 - August 23, 2013??? Once again this shows the billing period (IGNORE THE $84.44 part, it is OUTDATED information), with the corresponding bill on the RIGHT at $25.78. Why am I paying for a ZERO DAY TIME FRAME??? 

You are billed for service a month in advance. The "billing period" listed at the top of the bill are the dates you actually had service that are included in the bill. If this was TV service, for example, those would be the dates you would see charges for pay-per-view, etc.

Since you are billed in advance, the monthly fee covers August 24 to September 23. Those dates are listed on the itemized section of the bill.

Your next bill will be for billing period August 24 to September 23 and you will be billed (in advance) for service from September 24 to October 23.

7 of 10 (904 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 6, 2013 7:27:17 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

MicCheck: "Since you are billed in advance, the monthly fee covers August 24 to September 23. Those dates are listed on the itemized section of the bill."

No, they are not listed anywhere on the bill. The only dates on the bill are at the top (which you saw- Aug 23 - Aug 23), on the PDF (same thing), and here is the "itemized section." 

No where on this e-bill or PDF does it describe paying a month in advance. And obviously, considering AT&T's tendency to take money and never give it back, I'd like to know this isn't a mistake that I will never see corrected. I.e. I'd like it in writing somewhere on my bill, but I don't see that. Am I still missing something?  

8 of 10 (880 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 6, 2013 1:23:50 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Guru

From the link I posted:

Prorated Charges

Prorated Charges are partial monthly charges incurred anytime you make changes to the products and services on your AT&T account.

Things to remember:

• Your monthly service bills one month in advance.
    • Your first bill reflects charges for a partial month of service as well as a full month of charges for the upcoming month.
    • Adding a new service or changing an existing service shows as charges for the current month (i.e., a partial month of service) as well as a full month of charges for the upcoming month of service.
    • Although prorated charges may result in a larger than normal bill, please be assured that future bills should be consistent with your expectations.
    • When combining bills, your first bill may have prorated charges to adjust for the timing of two different bill cycles into one bill.

9 of 10 (847 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 7, 2013 6:01:32 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

pantheroom wrote:

MicCheck: "Since you are billed in advance, the monthly fee covers August 24 to September 23. Those dates are listed on the itemized section of the bill."

No, they are not listed anywhere on the bill. The only dates on the bill are at the top (which you saw- Aug 23 - Aug 23), on the PDF (same thing), and here is the "itemized section." 

No where on this e-bill or PDF does it describe paying a month in advance. And obviously, considering AT&T's tendency to take money and never give it back, I'd like to know this isn't a mistake that I will never see corrected. I.e. I'd like it in writing somewhere on my bill, but I don't see that. Am I still missing something?  

On what you are posted, the dates I mentioned are not specifically listed.

However, you were specifically billed $.83 for dates 8/23 to 8/23; those "dates" are listed.

Billing in advance is fairly standard throughout the industry, and AT&T makes it quite clear that they follow that convention, as Jeffster has posted twice now.

10 of 10 (818 Views)