Firmware Flaw?

Teacher

Firmware Flaw?

Okay, I am going to apologize now for the lengthy post.  I have had wifi issues with the 2wire 3801HGV, and it seems to be fairly consistent for the model.  So the only thing left to think is wrong after doing everything I have done is that the firmware does not like the 24/3 internet package.  

Here is some history for just 2013:

I have had 5-6 routers, all 2wire 3801HGV's.  ALL exhibit the samething:

Internals from the router:

NAT Sessions:

I have powercycled, and factory reset my router numerous times.  I have had 3-4 techs out this year.

My ethernet based computer connects and gets 24.78 and 25.08 download speeds consistently.  

This was taken this morning testing on a server that is 3-4 hours away from me.  

I disconnected all devices during the test, and verified the router showed only one device connected.

Then I brought my computer that connects via wifi online.  Test on same server.  

Connection Strength for this test: 

Channel: 11

RSSI: -47

Transmit Rate: 54

Security: WPA

So I decided to change settings again, I used wireles diagnostics and iStumbler to test for best channel:

Channel 4 

RSSI: -53

Transmit Rate: 54

Security: WPA2

Received nearly identical results.  Ping and upload were the same but the download was at 10.52 mbps.

So I switched to a server that is only 15-20 minutes away from me with the same settings:

I took the computer offline and used mobile devices to test wifi from a distance of 5-6 feet, and the ping and upload are identical, but download fluctuated anywhere from 12-15 mbps down. (Remember my download speed is 24mbps).

Tech's that come out to my place always do their testing and say everything is fine, because it is!  They always state my wifi is setup fine, my network is good, my lines are perfect, etc etc etc.  The tech yesterday even got the manager to look at it.  

I call tech support, and the teir 2 seems to be lost on this as well.  They recommend getting a 3rd party router to make up for the lack of speed.

I love Uverse and have had nothing but awesome experience with it, but I just want the Wifi to be acknowledged and fixed.  I get that wifi is inconsistent, but these levels of inconsistency are pretty terrible.

Message 1 of 10 (527 Views)
Employee

Re: Firmware Flaw?

I was having a similar issue and after working with tech support over the phone we determined the problem was where I lived.  I installed a program on my computer that scanned all the wifi networks in the area, and there were well over 50 networks.  The problem was the wifi channels were just jammed with networks.  Even selecting the least-used channels didn't improve things much. 

I resolved it by turning off the built-in wifi and adding my own router which runs at 5GHz; there's only one other network in the area at that frequency.  Please note that this does require all devices I connect via wifi to be able to connect at 5GHz.

This may not be what's causing your problem, but its worth taking a look.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10 (512 Views)
Teacher

I did look into that as a possibility.  

I am able to detect quite a few WiFi networks in my area, although their signals are terrible and leads me to believe that they are quite a distance away.  I do live in an apartment...and the amazing thing is that no one in my building has WiFi.  As crazy as it sounds...they really don't.  

Is there an engineering group that can take my routers info and examine it?

I am open to anything at this point to try and pinpoint my routers shortcomings 

Message 3 of 10 (507 Views)
Employee

The signal level of those other networks shouldn't matter.  If your computer can see them they are occupying radio spectrum.  Also, it's possible that there are more networks that you can't see because the SSID is not being broadcast.  I doubt there would be very many of those, but there may be some.  There are free programs that will even show you those.

If you've looked into this, however, and it doesn't seem to be the problem I'm stumped.  Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with some additional suggestions.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (502 Views)
Teacher

I did take that into consideration way early on in the troubleshooting process.  

Although, if I move my wifi connecting computer closer to the router, the RSSI will be -34 to -37, with a very stable transmit rate at 54.

These types of readings show that the extra wifi networks are not causing any issues.

Message 5 of 10 (488 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

maverick8550 wrote:

Although, if I move my wifi connecting computer closer to the router, the RSSI will be -34 to -37, with a very stable transmit rate at 54.

These types of readings show that the extra wifi networks are not causing any issues.

I don't understand your logic on that... if you get your WiFi client closer to the router such that the noise from other networks isn't as much of a factor, and things get better you then say that other networks aren't a factor at distance???

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10 (460 Views)
Teacher

Maybe I mispoke previously, but what im saying is that if the wifi is getting those readings, then its easy to see that the other networks are not affecting it.  I was responding to someone earlier.  My wifi signal is great!  It has never been a weak signal...but the router itself isn't handling devices connecting on it through WiFi.  

Those readings that are listed above are taken from a computer with an excellent connection TO the router.  The router isn't letting it (or anyother device, test with techs phone) get onto the interwebz at a fast rate.  

Message 7 of 10 (447 Views)
ACE - Expert

Actually, I apologize; I read your post last night when I should have apparently been in bed already.  I thought you were saying your measured speed tests improved when closer to the router, not the signal strength readings.

I will say that while 802.11g has a theoretical speed of 54 Mbps, you really shouldn't expect anything much over 20-22 Mbps even in ideal conditions so you should not expect 24 Mbps.  However, you're seeing about half of the expectation.

Have you measured these wireless devices against some other similarly configured WiFi router (friend, neighbor) and found them capable of 20+ Mbps?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 10 (426 Views)
Teacher

Yes, they work fine with other devices and get either the full speed allowed or close too.  

Don't get me wrong...I expect any device connected via wifi to be slower.  This is why I am turning to the forums for help as Tier 2 agents and install techs say that everything is working as it should.  The last install tech had his manager check things out, and the only thing that could be the issue is the firmware in the 3801HGV.  Everything else is working as it should.

Message 9 of 10 (410 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm afraid that my best recommendation is that if that kind of speed is important to you, that you acquire a separate wrieless router or access point and connect it behind the RG.

Message 10 of 10 (388 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.