Helpful Links

Fiber Optic Line Access

Contributor

Fiber Optic Line Access

I have a fiberoptic line in front of my house.  I can't get an AT&T contact to find out if I can get access.  Anybody know who to call at at&t?  customer service knows nothing

Message 1 of 12
Expert

Re: Fiber Optic Line Access

Are you trying to get U-verse service at your residence?  If so, check your address using the link below.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availability/#fbid=WPcRPKMI_Y8

Message 2 of 12
Contributor

yes and no.  I have checked the website and it says no, u-verse is not available in my area.  The fiber optic cable goes less than 3 feet from the box that houses the copper wires that feed my home phone.  It goes from an elementry school down the road to the east to a neighborhood on the west.  I can't find anyone at AT&T that is knowledgeable about the issue at all.  Who can I talk to?  Is there a phone with a real person that is not trying to sell something?  I've tried the customer service line (JEEZZ- ARE YOU KIDDING! Who has time to sit on hold for 30 minutes and then talk to a sales person with a script?)  Tried the ATT store. Sales person with a script and a smile.  The general response is "No, it's not available.  We will e-mail you when it is."  Sales people then lose interest.  No contact numbers known.  Nothing in the phone book.  Nothing on the website.  Longtime AT&T customer - wireless and home phone - $250+ per month.  Stockholder.  Frustrating. 

Message 3 of 12
Expert

I'm not sure that I understand.  Are you trying to see if you qualify for U-verse service even though the website says that you do not?

Message 4 of 12
Contributor

no.  I live on a street.  The street has a fiber optic line that runs in front of my house that is able to carry high speed data, like internet and u-verse.  It is owned by at&t.  at&t provides high speed internet service & u-verse to a school and neighborhood about 1/2 mile east on the same street using the fiber optic cable.  AT&T provides high speed internet and u-verse service to a neighborhood about 1/4 mile to the west on the same street using the same fiber optic cable.  AT&T provides me phone service only though copper wires not using the fiber optic cable.  I am asking is there anyone at AT&T that I can have a conversation that goes like this: "AT&T owns a fiber optic cable in front of my house that carries phone and data.  Can you connect my house to it?"  Hopefully, the response would be: "Hmm, I don't know, but I will send someone out and I'll call you back."   You know - like I'm a customer wanting to add service with AT&T and drop my competing satellite and internet services, but the right person at AT&T actually has to talk to me.  Phone, e-mail, text, twitter  I can deal with any of those.  That's about as simple as I can get it. 

Message 5 of 12
Expert

Best you can do is fill this form out on this webpage and submit it:

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availability/caim-address-research-form.jsp?pageName=servicePage&poe=http... Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 12
Expert

REHOGAN wrote:

no.  I live on a street.  The street has a fiber optic line that runs in front of my house that is able to carry high speed data, like internet and u-verse.  It is owned by at&t.  at&t provides high speed internet service & u-verse to a school and neighborhood about 1/2 mile east on the same street using the fiber optic cable.  AT&T provides high speed internet and u-verse service to a neighborhood about 1/4 mile to the west on the same street using the same fiber optic cable.  AT&T provides me phone service only though copper wires not using the fiber optic cable.  I am asking is there anyone at AT&T that I can have a conversation that goes like this: "AT&T owns a fiber optic cable in front of my house that carries phone and data.  Can you connect my house to it?"  Hopefully, the response would be: "Hmm, I don't know, but I will send someone out and I'll call you back."   You know - like I'm a customer wanting to add service with AT&T and drop my competing satellite and internet services, but the right person at AT&T actually has to talk to me.  Phone, e-mail, text, twitter  I can deal with any of those.  That's about as simple as I can get it. 

Based on your response, the answer to my question would actually be "yes".  

Use the link that Chris provided in his message to request an Address Research Request to see if U-verse is available at your residence.  AT&T does not run fiber or provide U-verse to an individual home upon request.  U-verse will only be available in your neighborhood if the service has been activated for that area and your home qualifies for service.

Message 7 of 12
Contributor

We will see how it works out

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Contributor

What city and state are you located in? when I know that I can give you a number to call direct and find out
Message 9 of 12
Contributor

I am in McKinney & Fitzhugh in Dallas. Do you have a direct number for my area. Our group of townhomes is interested in do the same. It has been verified by an installer that we have fiber at the street but into our small complex we can only run dsl. Looking at paying at&t to run fiber to each unit as a whole.
Message 10 of 12
Contributor

I was around when AT&T told an electronic business owner he couldn't use a device to relay a call to the back of his store.  AT&T lost decision by Supreme Court which led to the Divestiture of AT&T.

I doubt if the overall philosophy of AT&T has changed much.  So don't hold your breath waiting for AT&T customer service to talk with.

Message 11 of 12
Teacher

I know this post is more than three years old, and Rehogan more than likely has realized that ATT doesn't have an avenue through which he can get them to service his location. The condescending attitude of this TexasGuy "ACE" just adds to the frustration.

But this is a very, very common occurrence. If I were an ATT investor I would be extremely worried about this. ATT just doesn't care about servicing every location they can, even if I would be easy and cheap to do so.

I've been at this for a year and a half. I've persisted when most give up and/or move. I've spoken to everyone you can possibly speak to, and yet my home is still not serviced.

I'm sorry, Rehogan. Whatever happened to you, I'm sorry you had to go through this. ATT is not sorry. They don't care.
Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support