FREE HBO/Cinemax and nobody said anything

ACE - Master

FREE HBO/Cinemax and nobody said anything

I was hiding some of the sports channels that had popped up lately and noticed that I was getting HBO & Cinemax (We have U300). 

I thought that someone had upgraged me without my knowledge but then I did a little research and found out that, sure enough, there was a free weekend 4/4 thru 4/6.

It would be nice if there was some sort of alert (email?) to tell us this.  If it was in with my (paper) bill, I didn't see it.

And yes, I'm just complaining...  Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 23 (1,347 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: FREE HBO/Cinemax and nobody said anything

What is that saying? If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there, does it make a sound?

If a free preview airs and no one is made aware, does it have any impact on upgrades?

Skeeter, thanks for the alert. I thought maybe I did not get the message on the TV because I had complained that the messages do not say anything. They are just a manual (not even automatic) pointer to one that contains the content.
If a TV message does not contain any content, is it meaningful.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 23 (1,325 Views)
ACE - Master

I didn't get any message on any of my 3 TVs either. We have in the past but not this time.
Message 3 of 23 (1,309 Views)
Scholar

skeeterintexas wrote:

I was hiding some of the sports channels that had popped up lately and noticed that I was getting HBO & Cinemax (We have U300). 

I thought that someone had upgraged me without my knowledge but then I did a little research and found out that, sure enough, there was a free weekend 4/4 thru 4/6.

It would be nice if there was some sort of alert (email?) to tell us this.  If it was in with my (paper) bill, I didn't see it.

And yes, I'm just complaining...  Smiley Wink

The free preview acually lasts until Monday the 7th and if you want to see what is coming up in free previews go to the link below 

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB423545#fbid=KiBdoMxLdIl

Message 4 of 23 (1,291 Views)
ACE - Professor

www.freepreview.tv

Thank me later.
Message 5 of 23 (1,228 Views)
ACE - Expert

A free preview as a marketing promotion doesn't do a whole lot of good if no one knows about it.

Message 6 of 23 (1,209 Views)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

A free preview as a marketing promotion doesn't do a whole lot of good if no one knows about it.

Yep - unfortunately that is how AT&T rolls.  No info.  They had a HD preview a few months back and we thought maybe Bein Sports and CBS Sports had their placement packages changed.  No info was ever provided on either, but the upshod was there was a free HD Preview AND CBS Sports was placed in U300 and above.

Message 7 of 23 (1,180 Views)
ACE - Expert

And not all the ESPN HD channels were turned on during the U450 preview, either.

I hate complaining about free being wrong, but... it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Message 8 of 23 (1,167 Views)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

And not all the ESPN HD channels were turned on during the U450 preview, either.

I hate complaining about free being wrong, but... it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Which ones weren't? ESPN Deportes should have remained off, right?

Message 9 of 23 (1,108 Views)
ACE - Expert

It was either ESPN2-HD or ESPNU-HD, I forget.  The Non-HD channel worked fine (which I normally subscribe to anyway), but the HD version was not enabled for me during the preview, and it should have been.

Message 10 of 23 (1,102 Views)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

Yep - unfortunately that is how AT&T rolls.  No info.  They had a HD preview a few months back and we thought maybe Bein Sports and CBS Sports had their placement packages changed.  No info was ever provided on either, but the upshod was there was a free HD Preview AND CBS Sports was placed in U300 and above.

AT&T's local commercial-inserts were promoting the HBO/Cinemax free preview, and it was up on Message Center in March before they finally removed the message posted back in November about something else (there were four messages, with the HBO/MAX preview at the top).

About the only "free preview" event I remember AT&T not really informing about widely was back in 2011 & 2012 when they opened the Latino package up for "Hispanic Heritage Month" (which was really for only 15 days, from something like Oct 15-31).  In those cases, was doing the "hide channels" and came across all being available.

Besides, most of the premium "free previews" I've come across seem to always happen when there's really nothing scheduled that I would watch (seen already or not interested), but now that I have U450 (at a terrific price), I don't really pay too much attention, naturally. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 23 (862 Views)
ACE - Professor

Vid...what price? Details please.
Message 12 of 23 (853 Views)
Scholar

baseballisback wrote:
Vid...what price? Details please.

Maybe I should put this in perspective:

Was on U-300, added HD and Sports Pack.  Then put HBO/MAX on for 3 months free.

Free period ends, I call, AT&T offers U-450+HD Premium for a little over $20 off regular price/month.  Plus upgraded HSI at discount.

Might sound paltry, but when compared against local competitor or D* folks -- in price or channel count/availability -- there is no comparison.  Plus the U-verse DVR is unbeatable, IMO, and I don't want a dish on my house.

Not a complete AT&T fanboy, so don't expect only praise for them from me.  But night and day versus local competitor, at least in my little world for my 2+ years with them.

Message 13 of 23 (843 Views)
ACE - Master

vid30jk wrote:

AT&T's local commercial-inserts were promoting the HBO/Cinemax free preview,  

*I generally FF through commercials so that's a problem

and it was up on Message Center in March before they finally removed the message posted back in November about something else (there were four messages, with the HBO/MAX preview at the top).  

*I do not recall any message center message.

Besides, most of the premium "free previews" I've come across seem to always happen when there's really nothing scheduled that I would watch (seen already or not interested), 

*I DVR'd a couple of things so I did catch a few movies I wanted (Great Gatsby, Man of Steel, Identity Thief) 

but now that I have U450 (at a terrific price), I don't really pay too much attention, naturally.

*...bragger

Message 14 of 23 (837 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Yeah, commercials?  Don't watch them.; that's what FF is for.    Don't normally visit the message center, either.

Message 15 of 23 (833 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.